PDA

View Full Version : Playing Not to Lose

CaBisonFan
11-23-2008, 05:06 AM
We dominated the 2nd & 3rd quarters tonight with a twist in offensive philosophy. It fit Nick's abilities better. We went away from it in the 4th. We played 'not to lose.' With the Jacks knowing how to stop our normal offensive scheme...we handed them the 4th quarter...with an assist or two...or three. :cool:

The game was ours to win. The players had earned it. The coaches went into 'conservative mode.' Did anyone notice how comfortable Nick Mertens looked when he had the option to run? That's his game. Outstanding coaches design offenses to fit the talent that they 'have.'

The Bison players gave it everything...and then some. The hitting on 'D' was unbelievable. They deserved play calling that lived up to their effort.

missingnumber7
11-23-2008, 05:11 AM
Nick managed the game well, until he tried to take things into his own hands and floated one. He looked confortable in the game, and I think he might have been the leading rusher at halftime.

CaBisonFan
11-23-2008, 05:19 AM
Nick managed the game well, until he tried to take things into his own hands and floated one. He looked confortable in the game, and I think he might have been the leading rusher at halftime.

I agree totally.

Then in the 4th, the coaches took what was working away from him.

He is a runner. He likes the roll-out with the option to run.

They never understood that about Nick. He was given the Houdini offense and was expected it to make it work. It wasn't going to work...nor was it fair to him & the team.

d3boys
11-23-2008, 03:20 PM

he ended up the leading rusher for the game
that should not happen
pp with 4 carries and tr with 33 yards
not good

missingnumber7
11-24-2008, 03:00 AM
that should not happen
not good

I agree 100%, but I think Bohl gave nick the green light to run if he saw the space, scary idea. But it was a wrinkle that SDSU hadn't seen. I think that TR's yards were based on the play calling which was very vanilla. But I don't understand the lack of carries for PP, and why was TR on kick return in the first half. I think Pat and DJ make an excellent combination back there as you really cant kick away from either one to give a great sideline return to the other.

bisonranch
11-24-2008, 03:08 AM
Did anyone notice how comfortable Nick Mertens looked when he had the option to run? That's his game. Outstanding coaches design offenses to fit the talent that they 'have.'

This is exactly what I thought. Everything's been designed for Steve Walker all season. Someone let the coaches know he graduated last year.

The play calling in the fourth was unfortunate.

CaBisonFan
11-24-2008, 03:23 AM
that should not happen
not good

The Rabbits...among other teams...completely keyed on Tyler. When Pat came in, the play was obvious.

When Nick did his roll-out/run option we were doing something that the Jacks didn't expect. If that had continued, the handoff to another back would have eventually worked. :nod: