PDA

View Full Version : McFeely compares SDS and NDS

JackJD
11-22-2008, 03:22 PM
Forum columnist Mike McFeely writes today comparing SDSU's transition success with NDSU's transition success.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=222737&section=Columnists&columnist=Mike%20McFeely&freebie_check&CFID=123872812&CFTOKEN=95393435&jsessionid=8830c3e4967f4b223448

SirHinn
11-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Forum columnist Mike McFeely writes today comparing SDSU's transition success with NDSU's transition success.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=222737&section=Columnists&columnist=Mike%20McFeely&freebie_check&CFID=123872812&CFTOKEN=95393435&jsessionid=8830c3e4967f4b223448

I would say McFeely was spot on with everything he said. Of course though there are always going to be the McFeely haters and try and point out something negative with the article though.

Hammersmith
11-22-2008, 05:24 PM
The only problem I have with the article is:
While NDSU is hoping its volleyball team can be the first collection of Bison to qualify for an NCAA tournament, the Jackrabbits have been there, done that multiple times.
1. Two appearances(2007 VB & 2008 Soc) is considered multiple times? Technically true, but something of a spin.
2. Hasn't Bison wrestling sent 3 wrestlers to the NCAA tournament each of the last two seasons? I suppose that's why McFeely used 'collection' in the sentence.

I do agree with the overall premise of the column; SDSU has been more successful than NDSU during the transition. They were significantly inferior prior to the move, and are equal or near-equal today(they are equal on the field but not yet equal in community and financial support).

SirHinn
11-22-2008, 05:49 PM
The only problem I have with the article is:
1. Two appearances(2007 VB & 2008 Soc) is considered multiple times? Technically true, but something of a spin.
2. Hasn't Bison wrestling sent 3 wrestlers to the NCAA tournament each of the last two seasons? I suppose that's why McFeely used 'collection' in the sentence.

I do agree with the overall premise of the column; SDSU has been more successful than NDSU during the transition. They were significantly inferior prior to the move, and are equal or near-equal today(they are equal on the field but not yet equal in community and financial support).

Has the Bison wrestling team made it as a whole though? I thought he was going with the team concept, not the individual sports.

JackJD
11-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Hammersmith, I am hesitant to contradict you because you support your statements well on this board and the SDSU board. But, I think SDSU won more all-sports trophies in the NCC before transition than NDSU. Now, having said that, I will try to look that statistic up but it'll have to wait until later because I'm putting on my coat and getting in the car to drive to Fargo in about five minutes.

I suppose history doesn't always mean much. I hope that's true today when we try to notch a football win in Fargo for the first time since 1962.

Hammersmith
11-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Hammersmith, I am hesitant to contradict you because you support your statements well on this board and the SDSU board. But, I think SDSU won more all-sports trophies in the NCC before transition than NDSU. Now, having said that, I will try to look that statistic up but it'll have to wait until later because I'm putting on my coat and getting in the car to drive to Fargo in about five minutes.

I suppose history doesn't always mean much. I hope that's true today when we try to notch a football win in Fargo for the first time since 1962.

You could very well be right. I didn't really become a Bison sports fan until about a year into the transition. If I'm wrong, I guess it would just be another example of perception vs. reality.

edit: I looked into it and my perception has a basis in reality. During the last 10 years of NCC play, the championship record is something like 50-16 NDSU. I might be off by a couple because of spring vs. fall championships, but the difference is pretty striking. The big three sports are even at 6 a piece, but NDSU cleaned up in T&F. Also, NDSU won the NCC Cup the only year it was awarded and the xDSU's were in the conference. The Women's All-Sports Trophy went to each school twice during the last 10 years in the conference and the Men's Trophy went to SDSU six times to NDSU's one. In that one category, SDSU has the clear edge. In the All-Sports Trophies, you also need to remember that NDSU didn't have M/W S&D and M/W tennis during most of those ten years.

99Bison
11-23-2008, 03:41 AM
The other thing he somehow forgets to mention is the 5 summit league champs from last spring for ndsu...

He has selective writing as usual.

onbison09
11-23-2008, 04:41 AM
Has the Bison wrestling team made it as a whole though? I thought he was going with the team concept, not the individual sports.
Nope just individuals.

roadwarrior
11-23-2008, 05:06 AM

Teams cannot qualify for the D-I wrestling championships.

BisoninNWMN
11-23-2008, 12:09 PM
Teams cannot qualify for the D-I wrestling championships.

Wrestling will be a strength for the Bison for yrs.

NDSU has only 7 mens and 7 womens sports each....we will never win many all-sports championships.

But, I'll stack our women's: T & F, softball and VB teams against anyone in the Summit.

Compare NCs in all sports with SDSU....no comparison