PDA

View Full Version : A Question for you.

scheelsguy
11-21-2008, 03:19 AM
I wanted to drop a quick note asking everyone if they have noticed the difference in first down markers this year. All year, at every home game, the guy who puts the marker down on the east side of the dome goes about a yard, sometimes a yard and a half, further than the "official" crew on the west side. I know that this is not super important, but it has been annoying. Anyone else notice this, besides the people I've talked to in my section? Please do let me know if there may be some good reason to do this...

99Bison
11-21-2008, 03:21 AM
Yeah... We've noticed this also, makes for very inaccurate guesses on first down yardage.

As a side note... Have also noticed the TV first down lines for this years nfl games have been extra way off too.

BlueBisonRock
11-21-2008, 04:41 AM
I wanted to drop a quick note asking everyone if they have noticed the difference in first down markers this year. All year, at every home game, the guy who puts the marker down on the east side of the dome goes about a yard, sometimes a yard and a half, further than the "official" crew on the west side. I know that this is not super important, but it has been annoying. Anyone else notice this, besides the people I've talked to in my section? Please do let me know if there may be some good reason to do this...

Yeah. I saw this early in the year. It didn't make any sense. Now that you bring it up, does anyone have any idea why he is doing this?

GOB1SON
11-21-2008, 12:41 PM
My wife and I have noticed this too. He is usually about a yard long.

The interesting thing is that it is CONSISTENTLY a yard or so long. He never hits the nail on the head so to speak.

?

imabison
11-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Its been noticed, and its obviously intentional since the person putting it down waits for the official marker to be placed, and then puts his down the extra distance.

We just figure its the side that most opposing teams would see easiest, and since its not the official marker....

tjbison
11-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Maybe he's crosseyed??:banghead:

Civil06
11-21-2008, 11:24 PM
We sit in the endzone. I wish I could tell if he was a yard off.:nod:

56BISON73
11-21-2008, 11:29 PM
Its been noticed, and its obviously intentional since the person putting it down waits for the official marker to be placed, and then puts his down the extra distance.

We just figure its the side that most opposing teams would see easiest, and since its not the official marker....

If the marker is long it is a good land mark when trying to get a first down.
If a player has field savy they know how far they need to go or aim for to get the first down. Putting the marker long gives the player a better chance of picking up the first down if he comes a tad short on the long placed marker. Just a thought. PL

IzzyFlexion
11-21-2008, 11:40 PM
If a player has field savy they know how far they need to go or aim for to get the first down. Putting the marker long gives the player a better chance of picking up the first down if he comes a tad short on the long placed marker. Just a thought. PL

If your theory is correct, (that it's a home crew tactic to encourage extra effort by the offense to get the 1st), has anyone seen the opposite occur when the opponent has the ball. (placing the unofficial maker short of the actual line?

stevdock
11-22-2008, 02:59 AM

Watch this tomorrow. I have been curious about that too and agree with your thoughts here. All I know is it is on the Bison sideline and could easily be a little home field advantage. Unfortunately I don't know if it happens all the time or just when the Bison have the ball.

99Bison
11-22-2008, 05:48 AM
Watch this tomorrow. I have been curious about that too and agree with your thoughts here. All I know is it is on the Bison sideline and could easily be a little home field advantage. Unfortunately I don't know if it happens all the time or just when the Bison have the ball.

Nah, it's been happening all the time regardless of who has ball.

It seems they should error on the side of being to long, but a whole yard, or half of yard is way to much.

What if said player stretches out to try and get the first down that he thinks he doesn't have because of the marker and fumbles or worse yet gets hurt because of it?

Da_Bizon
11-22-2008, 06:11 AM
Personally, I do the markers for high school football games... and I always put the marker where it should be. I usually tailgate Bison games, so I don't pay much attention to the sideline markers, but I have noticed in the past that the guy on the unimportant side does go a little too far from time to time. IMHO he's either inexperienced, or he's been tailgating a little too much.