PDA

View Full Version : What are the Jackrabbit strengths?

CaBisonFan
11-16-2008, 04:41 PM
Seriously...what are we facing?

Experienced quarterback? Good?

Running?

etc, etc

Gully
11-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Veteran quarterback who is a playmaker. If we don't get some pressure it could be a long day.

bisonmike2
11-16-2008, 06:13 PM
I don't know about much about their strengths this year but I know some of their strengths when they play us.

1. They often play above their abilities
2. Punt return average goes up considerably, especially for punts returned inside of their own 5
3. Penalties against goes down
4. Penalties for goes up
5. FG percentage rises, especially when kicking in bad weather.

Am I missing anything else?

NDSUFan_Sav
11-16-2008, 06:18 PM
I can tell you what we aren't facing:

Their fans aren't even close to our fans in how no one hardly shows up!!!!

:nod: :nod: :D :nod: :nod:

NDSUFan_Sav
11-16-2008, 06:20 PM
I don't know about much about their strengths this year but I know some of their strengths when they play us.

1. They often play above their abilities
2. Punt return average goes up considerably, especially for punts returned inside of their own 5
3. Penalties against goes down
4. Penalties for goes up
5. FG percentage rises, especially when kicking in bad weather.

Am I missing anything else?

Umm...didn't they miss a big field goal at the end last year to allow us to come down field with like 1-2 mins left?

semobison
11-16-2008, 06:30 PM
Big, strong, physical team, like most of the top teams in the MVFC! Ive seen them play a couple of times this year. O and D lines are stout. This game may be decided in the trenches. Two years ago we beat them in the dome with some trickery! We may have to play action on first and second down to keep their D off balence! My 2 cents!

Gully
11-16-2008, 06:55 PM
I watched the first half of their game against Iowa State and they moved the ball well.....they just kept shooting themselves in the foot.

tcbison
11-16-2008, 07:01 PM
The interesting thing at SDSU is they are set up like NDSU expect they are better at stopping the run, and they pass the ball better. QB Berry has had some games with a lot of INTs. Last year SDSU basically stopped our run and capitalized on our special teams mistakes.

bisonmike2
11-16-2008, 08:25 PM
The interesting thing at SDSU is they are set up like NDSU expect they are better at stopping the run, and they pass the ball better. QB Berry has had some games with a lot of INTs. Last year SDSU basically stopped our run and capitalized on our special teams mistakes.

Great points. They will do everything they can to stop the run and make our QB beat them. If that happens I think most of us have a pretty good idea of what that means for us. We will have to run the ball to beat them. We also need to get pressure on Berry. He's good with time, but he can also become Mertens-like when he is chased around. The x-factor is that he is from Watertown SD. It's well known in South Dakota that kids who have played in the mighty Watertown Arrow football program possess a special ability to become super awesome and take over games. :) Let's hope this doesn't happen on Saturday.

X-Factor
11-17-2008, 01:22 AM
Berry has quarterbacked in the fargodome before and was far from stellar. However, that was a few years ago now. A lot can change. He has obviously had success this year. Lets see how he does against the #1 pass defense in FCS football.

cvbison1
11-17-2008, 01:48 AM
Berry has quarterbacked in the fargodome before and was far from stellar. However, that was a few years ago now. A lot can change. He has obviously had success this year. Lets see how he does against the #1 pass defense in FCS football.

i'm not positive, but pretty sure that Berry didn't quarterback sdsu last game in the fargodome. it was andy kardos or something like that.

cvbison1
11-17-2008, 01:50 AM
i'm not positive, but pretty sure that Berry didn't quarterback sdsu last game in the fargodome. it was andy kardos or something like that.

yep, now i'm positive that it was andy kardos. not sure on the spelling of the last name. but it was definately him.

RunDMc34
11-17-2008, 01:52 AM
This will be an excellent test of our Pass D, seems we had a lot of guys running wide open in the MSU game we need to get pressure like we did in that game tho. When we blitz we need to get there because if we dont Berry will pick us apart. Heres to getting a bunch of hits on the QB!!

bisonmike2
11-17-2008, 01:45 PM

I'm pretty sure Berry played in that game but was taken out early. He was the victim of a Joe Mays hit on a roll out pass that sent him flying backwards about 10 yards. That hit used to play in the intro to the Craig Bohl football show. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong.

cvbison1
11-17-2008, 02:39 PM
I'm pretty sure Berry played in that game but was taken out early. He was the victim of a Joe Mays hit on a roll out pass that sent him flying backwards about 10 yards. That hit used to play in the intro to the Craig Bohl football show. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong.

well i just checked it out on all access gobison.com. and berry didn't play in the last game in the dome

jackrabbit1979
11-17-2008, 03:17 PM
well i just checked it out on all access gobison.com. and berry didn't play in the last game in the dome

You are correct, Berry didn't play in the dome in 2006. I do seem to remember him playing in the dome before (maybe 2005) after our starting QB was injured for a while.

And the other posts are correct, he didn't fare to well. Thank god that was a while ago, as he is a completely different QB now.

HandoEX
11-17-2008, 03:31 PM
SDSU is/has...
Top scoring team in MVFC (36.5 ppg)
Top rated passer and most passing yards per game in MVFC
Second leading rusher in MVFC
Top receiver in MVFC
Second leading receiver in MVFC

SDSU has played in 1 more game than some teams though so the last 3 are different as far as yards per game.

THE big non-strength for the Jacks is winning in Fargo:nod: It looks like they are a different team on the road...2-3 on the road with a 2 point win over SF Austin, who's a 4-7 team and their only other road win was against Indiana State.

NDSUFan_Sav
11-17-2008, 05:04 PM
SDSU is/has...
Top scoring team in MVFC (36.5 ppg)
Top rated passer and most passing yards per game in MVFC
Second leading rusher in MVFC
Top receiver in MVFC
Second leading receiver in MVFC

SDSU has played in 1 more game than some teams though so the last 3 are different as far as yards per game.

THE big non-strength for the Jacks is winning in Fargo:nod: It looks like they are a different team on the road...2-3 on the road with a 2 point win over SF Austin, who's a 4-7 team and their only other road win was against Indiana State.

Exactly, and aside from W. Ill we're a legit at home, hopefully we play like we did the 2nd half of the S. ILL game for the entire game....I want 1 full game from the bison!!!

gizmo
11-18-2008, 03:46 AM
....I want 1 full game from the bison!!!

MEGA DITTO!!!!

sambini
11-18-2008, 04:17 AM
Full 60 minutes of Bison football . Dominate++++++++++++

Bison53
11-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Did'nt we go for Berry. His sister played BB for the Bison.

Herd Mentality
11-18-2008, 06:20 PM
The jacks biggest strength is their ability to curl up and die when traveling to Fargo...it's well documented. :hungry:

bisonmike2
11-18-2008, 06:51 PM
The jacks biggest strength is their ability to curl up and die when traveling to Fargo...it's well documented. :hungry:

Past performance does not guarantee future results. If there is a Bison team that could blow that streak it would be this one. I hope the trend continues, but I'm more worried about this game than I have been in a long time.

d3boys
11-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Did'nt we go for Berry. His sister played BB for the Bison.

and is now an assistant coacj I believe
tough week for her

SDbison
11-18-2008, 08:40 PM
and is now an assistant coacj I believe
tough week for her
Too bad.......she shouldn't be rooting against a university that pays her to coach for them. She can watch and wish her brother to have a great game, but no way in hell should she be pulling for SDSU. Maybe she should look for an assistant coaching job elsewhere!

bisonmike2
11-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Too bad.......she shouldn't be rooting against a university that pays her to coach for them. She can watch and wish her brother to have a great game, but no way in hell should she be pulling for SDSU. Maybe she should look for an assistant coaching job elsewhere!

I went to both h.s. and college with Jamie and I assure you she is rooting for SDSU only because of her brother. Next year she'll be back cheering for the good guys. She's in a tough spot. She's spent many years at NDSU as a player and now she's works here. She's only wanting the best for her brother and I don't think we can hold that against her. I'll give her a pass this year.

BlueBisonRock
11-18-2008, 09:28 PM
I went to both h.s. and college with Jamie and I assure you she is rooting for SDSU only because of her brother. Next year she'll be back cheering for the good guys. She's in a tough spot. She's spent many years at NDSU as a player and now she's works here. She's only wanting the best for her brother and I don't think we can hold that against her. I'll give her a pass this year.

Classy statement Bisonmike!

SDbison
11-18-2008, 11:11 PM
Classy statement Bisonmike!
You are both full of BS in my book! Nothing classy about being a alumnus, coach and employee of a university and rooting against them. I repeat, she can wish and root for her brother to have a good game, but there is no need to wish and root SDSU to win. That is so lame. About the only exception I could see, but still not agree with, is if there were playoff implications for SDSU and none for NDSU.

Rabbitlivinginverm
11-19-2008, 12:27 AM
You are both full of BS in my book! Nothing classy about being a alumnus, coach and employee of a university and rooting against them. I repeat, she can wish and root for her brother to have a good game, but there is no need to wish and root SDSU to win. That is so lame. About the only exception I could see, but still not agree with, is if there were playoff implications for SDSU and none for NDSU.

Blood is thicker than water, my friend.

Rabbitlivinginverm
11-19-2008, 12:44 AM
Our strengths:

Our offense. Just about everything about it is good. QB (Ryan Berry), RB (Kyle Minnett and Tyler Duffey), WR (Jaron Harris, Glen Fox and Mike Steffen), and TE (Colin Cochart) are probably the best you'll see in the conference. Colin Cochart (TE) is very impressive. Only problem is he's been called upon to help out the o-line, which isn't very good. With no injuries, they're average. Fortunately for us, they're not very banged up right now.

Our defense is average. I've been very disappointed with them this year although a couple of key injuries in the middle of the season played a part in that. DT Eric Schroeder is a pro prospect who suffered a high ankle sprain in game #2 or 3 but he's back and close to 100%. DE's Danny Batten and Tony Thompson are very solid. LB's Chris Johnson and Jimmy Rodgers are tough as nails. You may remember those two teaming up to knock Rhoel silly last year in Brookings. Jimmy is undersized (5-10, 200lbs) but nobody plays harder than he does. Plus, he's got the longest hair on the field. Safeties Conrad Kjersted and Brock Campbell are big and good (they were both hurt the same time Schroeder was). CB's are decent. #21 Cole Brodie is our best and #32 Adam Fritz starts opposite him. You can pick on Fritz all day long. He's the weak link on our defense.

Overall, our defense is better than the 29.5 points per game they give up.

CaBisonFan
11-19-2008, 01:27 AM
Our strengths:

Our offense. Just about everything about it is good. QB (Ryan Berry), RB (Kyle Minnett and Tyler Duffey), WR (Jaron Harris, Glen Fox and Mike Steffen), and TE (Colin Cochart) are probably the best you'll see in the conference. Colin Cochart (TE) is very impressive. Only problem is he's been called upon to help out the o-line, which isn't very good. With no injuries, they're average. Fortunately for us, they're not very banged up right now.

Our defense is average. I've been very disappointed with them this year although a couple of key injuries in the middle of the season played a part in that. DT Eric Schroeder is a pro prospect who suffered a high ankle sprain in game #2 or 3 but he's back and close to 100%. DE's Danny Batten and Tony Thompson are very solid. LB's Chris Johnson and Jimmy Rodgers are tough as nails. You may remember those two teaming up to knock Rhoel silly last year in Brookings. Jimmy is undersized (5-10, 200lbs) but nobody plays harder than he does. Plus, he's got the longest hair on the field. Safeties Conrad Kjersted and Brock Campbell are big and good (they were both hurt the same time Schroeder was). CB's are decent. #21 Cole Brodie is our best and #32 Adam Fritz starts opposite him. You can pick on Fritz all day long. He's the weak link on our defense.

Thanks for the info. This will give me a few names to watch for. It should be another great game.

SUPERBUNNY
11-19-2008, 01:50 AM
Our strengths:

That's a great assesment. The only thing I would add is that we are healthier right now than at any point of the year and are playing some pretty good ball.

Obviously, we haven't won up there in a long time. Not in my lifetime in fact. This is the best team we have brought to Fargo. These guys are beyond hungry to end the streak. There isn't any fear either. We have outstanding team leaders and frankly Bison football ain't what it was.

I expect a great tilt but for the first time I also EXPECT our team to win. Not smack but what I and many other SDSU fans believe.

Good luck and may the best team win!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY

onbison09
11-19-2008, 01:56 AM
That's a great assesment. The only thing I would add is that we are healthier right now than at any point of the year and are playing some pretty good ball.

Obviously, we haven't won up there in a long time. Not in my lifetime in fact. This is the best team we have brought to Fargo. These guys are beyond hungry to end the streak. There isn't any fear either. We have outstanding team leaders and frankly Bison football ain't what it was.

I expect a great tilt but for the first time I also EXPECT our team to win. Not smack but what I and many other SDSU fans believe.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
You're avatar made me throw up in my mouth.

SDbison
11-19-2008, 03:04 AM
When playing another team with no defense the bunnies can score up to 50 points, with or without overtime!
Of course the only problem is the other team scores close to 50 points!

CaBisonFan
11-19-2008, 03:17 AM

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY

I'm glad that you could come here to convince yourself that you're confident. We'll send a bill. :cool:

BlueBisonRock
11-19-2008, 03:34 AM

Actually, there is a lot of class in understanding how to approach competition, learning how to disagree while staying in control of ones emotions, and negotiating rather than attempting bullying when one disagrees.

But, hey... Ya can't teach an old dog new tricks. In my book, Mike demonstrated both class and a real world understanding. Nice post Mike!

jackrabbit1979
11-19-2008, 05:25 AM

Nice post.

OldBison
11-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Did'nt we go for Berry.

I doubt it. Berry can actually play QB in college. Bohl would never recruit a QB that can actually play in college :blush:

Besides, Berry would have been a 2006 recruit, a year Bohl has said QB was not a priority. I heard him say that on his radio show, an phenomenal statement if you think about it. When is a talented QB recruit not a priority?:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

MN_BISON
11-19-2008, 01:40 PM
I doubt it. Berry can actually play QB in college. Bohl would never recruit a QB that can actually play in college :blush:

Besides, Berry would have been a 2006 recruit, a year Bohl has said QB was not a priority. I heard him say that on his radio show, an phenomenal statement if you think about it. When is a talented QB recruit not a priority?:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

http://images-cdn01.associatedcontent.com/image/A6916/69160/300_69160.jpg