PDA

View Full Version : SDSU AD on televising games

Hansel
11-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Athletic director Fred Oien - previously opposed to broadcasting home games for fear of hurting attendance and gate revenue - said that SDSU will welcome live television coverage of home games when within the auspices of the conference contract or when it can generate a considerable audience.

The Jacks also continue to welcome live coverage of road games - such as the season finale at North Dakota State, which will air on KSFY - and are working to expand tape-delayed broadcasts of all home contests.

The policy change was initiated by some of the younger staff members, Oien said, and is the latest attempt to grow the fan base and remedy a traditional attendance slump in the second half of the season.

"You run the risk (of hurting attendance), but I've been the stubborn one and we're just going to get as much exposure as we can," Oien said of televising home games. "Hence some of the other conversations ongoing as far as spreading that market base out. We'll take it slow, evaluate as we go."

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20081108/SPORTS0202/811080331/1052/OPINION01

bisonmike2
11-13-2008, 02:47 PM
I.M.O you'll always have a core that go to the games. Putting home games on TV exposes your product to other people who normally wouldn't go. More people exposed to your product, the more people will go to check it out. Is this guy finally figuring out that a televised home game is esentially a 3 hour commercial for your university and athletic department?

bisonaudit
11-13-2008, 03:20 PM
Welcome to the 20th (yes the 20th century).

Since in invention of radio let alone television the immutable law of broadcast has been, if you broadcast your sports product and make it cheap, or better yet free, for people to hear/see it, it helps not hurts attendance. Where's this guy been for the last century?

bisonmike2
11-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Welcome to the 20th (yes the 20th century).

Since in invention of radio let alone television the immutable law of broadcast has been, if you broadcast your sports product and make it cheap, or better yet free, for people to hear/see it, it helps not hurts attendance. Where's this guy been for the last century?

In Brookings SD. Trust me, been there many times, and I grew up just 50 miles away. The region is a time warp. Some people in that area are just figuring out that this whole internet thing is not just a passing fad.

Bison"FANatic"
11-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Wow he is finally seeing the light. Better late than never I guess.

TheBisonator
11-13-2008, 07:53 PM
In Brookings SD. Trust me, been there many times, and I grew up just 50 miles away. The region is a time warp. Some people in that area are just figuring out that this whole internet thing is not just a passing fad.

I have to wholeheartedly agree on that one. Last year when I was driving to Brookings for the Marker game, I turned the radio to Brookings' main hit music station and soon found out they were playing a broadcast of Kasey Kasem's American Top 40 from OCTOBER IN 1985!!! At first I thought that they were having an 80's music marathon, but I think my Delorean must have warped back once I reached Sisseton or something. I swear that for an hour or so I believed I had went back in time.

1bizon1
11-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Screw him!! DO NOT let Brookoings even have the t.v. feed. See how they feel.

bisonmike2
11-13-2008, 07:58 PM
I have to wholeheartedly agree on that one. Last year when I was driving to Brookings for the Marker game, I turned the radio to Brookings' main hit music station and soon found out they were playing a broadcast of Kasey Kasem's American Top 40 from OCTOBER IN 1985!!! At first I thought that they were having an 80's music marathon, but I think my Delorean must have warped back once I reached Sisseton or something. I swear that for an hour or so I believed I had went back in time.

The area between Sisseton and Summit is a weather twilight zone. It could be 70 degrees and sunny and then you hit the Summit hills and you'll get a blizzard. And music from 1985 is considered "modern" music in eastern South Dakota. Sioux Falls has the only decent radio stations in the area but that isn't saying much.

X-Factor
11-14-2008, 03:49 AM
Wow. SDSU is finally out of the stone age. I for one never thought it would happen. This is good for them though!

roper1313
11-14-2008, 08:05 PM
The area between Sisseton and Summit is a weather twilight zone. It could be 70 degrees and sunny and then you hit the Summit hills and you'll get a blizzard. And music from 1985 is considered "modern" music in eastern South Dakota. Sioux Falls has the only decent radio stations in the area but that isn't saying much.

Bisonmike2- you hit the weather on the head. I used to drive a lot between Fargo and Omaha and man you could always count on ice when you hit the hills. YUCK.

The bad part of this thread is that I have Kasey Kason's voice in my head.

Hammersmith
11-14-2008, 11:10 PM
My only major car accident was a winter rollover a mile north of Summit. I can attest to the freaky weather in that area. I can also attest to the strength of German engineering(50mph, 5 passengers, 1 stitch among us).

On topic, AD Oien has done a wonderful job for SDSU in everything but this one area. I've never been able to figure out how he can see the big picture for everything else, but be so shortsighted when it comes to media exposure. At least he's now feeling pressure from below(and probably above).

Hart
11-15-2008, 09:30 PM

This is the absolute truth. I'm from Huron, go to school up here in Fargo -- but agree with this statement completely regarding Brookings, SD.

JackJD
11-15-2008, 10:11 PM
This is the absolute truth. I'm from Huron, go to school up here in Fargo -- but agree with this statement completely regarding Brookings, SD.

I think most people in Eastern South Dakota will chuckle if they read a Huronite's criticism of Brookings.
(I'm in Watertown).

Hart
11-15-2008, 10:13 PM
I think most people in Eastern South Dakota will chuckle if they read a Huronite's criticism of Brookings.
(I'm in Watertown).

I'm sure they would, but then again I've spent the last four years up in Fargo -- so my disdain and criticism of Brookings doesn't necessarily come from a Huronite perspective. ;) Brookings sucks, period. (Huron sucks, too.)

Mr. Burgundy
11-17-2008, 12:01 AM
Sidenote, alot of Jack fans looking for tickets.....Don't be dumb enough to sell them to the blue. I would rather have a blue chair than a blue shirt. Give them to a Bison fan.

sambini
11-17-2008, 02:53 AM
Sidenote, alot of Jack fans looking for tickets.....Don't be dumb enough to sell them to the blue. I would rather have a blue chair than a blue shirt. Give them to a Bison fan.
Well said Mr.B++++++

CaBisonFan
11-17-2008, 03:51 AM
(I'm in Watertown).

I lived in Brookings for seven years. It's a great town...and SDSU is an outstanding university. There are are a ton of very intelligent, with-it, & nice people there. Every small city should aspire to being like Brookings.

I agree with you about the comments from a Huron resident. Nothing against Huron...but surely Huron has nothing over Brookings in any way, shape, or form.

PS - Fred Oien (the A.D.) deserves a purple heart for bringing SDSU up to DI. It was likely a lot tougher politically than in Fargo...and Fargo was no piece of cake. So it took him a while to get with the TV coverage...big deal. He saw the big picture...and took chances with his career to make this move.

TheBisonator
11-17-2008, 04:06 AM
I lived in Brookings for seven years. It's a great town...and SDSU is an outstanding university. There are are a ton of very intelligent, with-it, & nice people there. Every small city should aspire to being like Brookings.

Brookings has 20,000 people and doesn't even have a Taco Bell. I seriously disagree with your statement.

BlueBisonRock
11-17-2008, 04:40 AM
Brookings has 20,000 people and doesn't even have a Taco Bell. I seriously disagree with your statement.

I am impressed. We now have a metric that redefines the Money magazine Best Community analysis. Gotta Taco Bell? You move to the head of the resturant category! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: