PDA

View Full Version : Could Swimming & Diving return?

Hammersmith
11-10-2008, 01:20 AM
I know this is the furthest thing from Gene's & Lynn's mind at the moment, but the newly-proposed aquatic center in southwest Fargo brings up an interesting opportunity. The location kinda sucks for an NDSU program, but it would sure help out on the startup costs. I'd also bet the rest of the Summit(especially SDSU) would welcome the two teams(M/W). I'd like to see a natatorium added onto the SE corner of the BSA someday(to create an L-shaped building around a courtyard), but that's 15+ years out, if ever. Partnering with whoever ends up building the proposed aquatics center could jump start the process at a fraction the cost.

I still hope we'll see a recreation/fitness pool be added to the Wellness Center in 5-7 years, regardless of what happens with the athletic department. It just seems wrong that a 13,000 student university won't have any type of pool; especially considering our climate and the lack of activities available in the winter.

And now I better stop before I completely sound like lakes and his "the UP Center means that NDSU hockey is coming" dogma.

Fargo pool idea makes splash (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=221292&section=news)

tony
11-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Interesting idea but it just seems to me that a public waterpark like the one in Calgary (?) would have better cash flow and serve more of the city's kids - then again, it's not my money or project. It just seems like Fargo does project after project that only serves a fraction of 1% of the kids.

Also, I sure would like swimming & diving to return to NDSU at some point but as an on-campus deal.

imabison
11-10-2008, 02:41 PM
I know this is the furthest thing from Gene's & Lynn's mind at the moment, but the newly-proposed aquatic center in southwest Fargo brings up an interesting opportunity. The location kinda sucks for an NDSU program, but it would sure help out on the startup costs. I'd also bet the rest of the Summit(especially SDSU) would welcome the two teams(M/W). I'd like to see a natatorium added onto the SE corner of the BSA someday(to create an L-shaped building around a courtyard), but that's 15+ years out, if ever. Partnering with whoever ends up building the proposed aquatics center could jump start the process at a fraction the cost.

I still hope we'll see a recreation/fitness pool be added to the Wellness Center in 5-7 years, regardless of what happens with the athletic department. It just seems wrong that a 13,000 student university won't have any type of pool; especially considering our climate and the lack of activities available in the winter.

And now I better stop before I completely sound like lakes and his "the UP Center means that NDSU hockey is coming" dogma.

Fargo pool idea makes splash (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=221292&section=news)
If Ace Brandt is involved the idea should be flushed. He got the UP Center forced on the tax payers after stating it was a private arena. This sounds like it could go the exact same direction.

AKBison
09-09-2014, 03:02 PM
Bump from the past... Does anyone know if the wellness center aquatic center is still online to be built? From the plans I have seen, there is a seprate competitive pool. Will that pool be built to NCAA competition specs?

El_Chapo
09-09-2014, 03:15 PM
womens swim & dive to be added for ndsu to become FBS.

roadwarrior
09-09-2014, 03:49 PM
Bump from the past... Does anyone know if the wellness center aquatic center is still online to be built? From the plans I have seen, there is a seprate competitive pool. Will that pool be built to NCAA competition specs?

Yes it is going to be built. Don't know the answer to the competition specs question.

roadwarrior
09-09-2014, 03:50 PM
womens swim & dive to be added for ndsu to become FBS.

Fact or fictional world? You decide.

El_Chapo
09-09-2014, 03:53 PM
wishful thinking?

AKBison
09-09-2014, 03:58 PM
Agrred on two fronts. 1) It makes us a better conference mate by being a more well rounded AD. 2) Schools can offer 14 scholarships for women's S&D. We would only need 8 more to go FBS and Womens Tennis has a max of 8 scholarships. This is all don the road stuff but if an aquatic center is going to be built on campus, we need to make damn sure that it can be used for DI competition in the future if needed.