PDA

View Full Version : D2 NCAA Team Vs D2 NAIA

lcbison
11-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Quick question. Why, in our 1st year of eligiblity are we playing a D2 NCAA team( Moorhead) in a meaningless exhibition. And a D2 NAIA team in the regular season(Mayberry St.)

I'm no genius, but this seems kinda backwards.

NDSUstudent
11-07-2008, 07:58 PM
I don't know, all I can say is that in terms of RPI and postseason play, all lower division teams are seen as the same and only losing can hurt you.

lcbison
11-07-2008, 08:04 PM
So basically what your saying is that we are better off playing, Mayville and Valley City (NAIA teams), than Winona St. and Northern St. (higher level D2 teams).

How about like UND and USD, when do they count as D1 games.

ndsubison1
11-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Quick question. Why, in our 1st year of eligiblity are we playing a D2 NCAA team( Moorhead) in a meaningless exhibition. And a D2 NAIA team in the regular season(Mayberry St.)

All D-1 teams play lower division teams in exhibition games

NDSUstudent
11-07-2008, 08:08 PM
So basically what your saying is that we are better off playing, Mayville and Valley City (NAIA teams), than Winona St. and Northern St. (higher level D2 teams).

How about like UND and USD, when do they count as D1 games.

That pretty much it, and UND/USD will be DI counters next year.

tjbison
11-07-2008, 08:42 PM
I think Michigan St. played and was beat by DII Grand valley state last year, exhibiton games are fine, but putting them on the regular schedule isn't!

lcbison
11-07-2008, 09:01 PM
I think Michigan St. played and was beat by DII Grand valley state last year, exhibiton games are fine, but putting them on the regular schedule isn't!

Exactly!!!!!!!!!

NDSUstudent
11-07-2008, 09:05 PM
We need home games, and that is the only reason why they appear on the schedule. But if UND and/or USD are not on the schedule next year and these games are still there I won't be very happy.

tony
11-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Does playing a lower division team have any effect on RPI (wondering if they are just ignored)? If so, as far as RPI these games might be better than playing terrible DI teams. Of course, as for fan interest, a terrible DI team is better than a terrific NAIA team. Depends on what you are shooting for as a program and a conference.

TheDoctor
11-08-2008, 02:50 AM
Duke's schedule through Nov.

10/25 TBA Virginia Union (exhibition) Durham, NC (W) 114-60
11/05 7:00 Lenoir-Rhyne (exhibition) Durham, NC (W) 95-42

11/10 7:00 Presbyterian Durham, NC ESPNU
11/11 7:00 Georgia Southern / Houston Durham, NC ESPNU
11/16 7:00 Rhode Island Durham, NC ESPNU
11/20 7:00 Semifinals Semifinals Madison Square Garden espn2
11/21 7:00 Championship Game Madison Square Garden espn2
11/23 1:00 Montana Durham, NC FSNS
11/28 3:00 Duquesne Durham, NC ESPN

I'd say as a D1 powerhouse and us being a mid major, our strength of schedule is about the same in relation to our level. So, their game against Presbyterian would be comparable to our game against Mayville proportionately. As far as exhibition opponents...they beat their as bad as we have and will beat ours. The beauty of college basketball is you don't have to be ready to win a championship on the first day (as opposed to football). So, building a little confidence in your players isn't a bad thing. ;)

lcbison
11-08-2008, 06:34 AM
The main differnece between Duke and us is that the common fan is NOT going to go to the Mayville St game......Heck, our free half court tickets (which are counted in the games attendance) sit empty over half time..

Part of the reason, is no one is excited for these D1 teams...part of it is the annoying guy behind us who criticizes every play(if your over 40 years old, I hate to break it to you but the game has changed)....

tjbison
11-08-2008, 01:16 PM
The main differnece between Duke and us is that the common fan is NOT going to go to the Mayville St game......Heck, our free half court tickets (which are counted in the games attendance) sit empty over half time..

Part of the reason, is no one is excited for these D1 teams...part of it is the annoying guy behind us who criticizes every play(if your over 40 years old, I hate to break it to you but the game has changed)....

LOL!!! I have one of these "fans" at the football games near me, Drives me Freakin crazy and every comment is absolutly OUT THERE!! nice to know I'm not the only one experiencing this:p

CaBisonFan
11-08-2008, 03:23 PM

I grew up in Mayville and am still a bit of a Comet fan. I didn't go there, so my heart isn't at MSU...MSC...whatever. I thought the name change was stupid...like Minnesota State.

Is it possible that there's a contract being fulfilled? Or...is it about regional interest? Or...just keeping it going because they've done it for a long time? Not sure.

JMHO...I think of it as an early test from a smaller program that is fairly decent most years. But if it were dropped, it would be understandable. Not much to gain, and quite a bit to lose should an upset happen.

fargocyclone
11-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Does playing a lower division team have any effect on RPI (wondering if they are just ignored)? If so, as far as RPI these games might be better than playing terrible DI teams. Of course, as for fan interest, a terrible DI team is better than a terrific NAIA team. Depends on what you are shooting for as a program and a conference.

The RPI is based 25% off of your win percentage, 50% off of your opponent's win percentages, and 25% off of your opponent's opponent's win percentages. Screwy way to do it, but that means that playing teams that win their other games is more important than simply winning all of your games. Only DI counters are considered in these calculations.

imabison
11-09-2008, 12:01 AM

Ponder this, if NDSU did not play several exihibition games, they would not be able to give the redshirt freshman a change to experience the speed of the game prior to their redshirt season.

I know there are some fans out there that this is not important to, but it may be important to the coaches.

I am just throwing this out after watching all but 1 Bison players score this afternoon against Moorhead State.

MHDBisonfan
11-09-2008, 04:05 PM
LOL!!! I have one of these "fans" at the football games near me, Drives me Freakin crazy and every comment is absolutly OUT THERE!! nice to know I'm not the only one experiencing this:p

ha - yeah, you can count me in that group as well - the guy sitting behind me at fb games is giving a running commentary on the game the whole game long. leave the commenting to phil and scott and just cheer when something good happens or needs to happen! i find myself rolling my eyes quite frequently at games. :nod:

X-Factor
11-09-2008, 06:35 PM
Ponder this, if NDSU did not play several exihibition games, they would not be able to give the redshirt freshman a change to experience the speed of the game prior to their redshirt season.

I know there are some fans out there that this is not important to, but it may be important to the coaches.

I am just throwing this out after watching all but 1 Bison players score this afternoon against Moorhead State.

I don't think anyone here is questioning the exhibition games themselves, all DI teams have them and they are not part of the regular season record or rankings. It is the regular season games against lower level competition that some may dislike.

Trim
11-10-2008, 03:01 PM
ha - yeah, you can count me in that group as well - the guy sitting behind me at fb games is giving a running commentary on the game the whole game long. leave the commenting to phil and scott and just cheer when something good happens or needs to happen! i find myself rolling my eyes quite frequently at games. :nod:

Add me to the group too...
I about got sick when I heard the familiar all-knowing voice about 3 rows behind me at the exhibition vs Mary. I'd like to turn around and, in the words of Bobby Knight, say "You're illuminating us with your relative lack of knowledge."