PDA

View Full Version : D J is not moving to WR

ol' ball coach
11-07-2008, 06:44 PM
This is the the OL' BALL COACH . Had to let you all in on, what you heard or seen D J playing in the slot on 3 wr set the last 2 games. MOST OF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING BAD, SO YOU CAN RUN POST IT. Had to check on that thread myself ( D J TO WR ). Got the word from the horses mouth; and I'm not talking about D J' s

Do any of you remember D J' s highschool high lite tape ? D j catching the ball, D J runing the ball , DJ returning punts, DJ returning kick-offs.

DJ willl be used the way the U OF F uses PERCY HARVIN. RB-1st, Slot-2nd, WR- 3rd

for you fans who want to judge a RB by how hard he hits the hole, it's more to being a back than run into a hole that's not there. Just keep in mind that the game is a lot tougher in the 1st QT than 4th QT. I think it's called mop-up

runtheoption
11-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Thank you, I think? Or not, I can't tell....

Scooter1
11-07-2008, 07:04 PM
It's more about getting DJ on the field without taking snaps away from Roehl and Paschall. DJ is more mature physically than the young wide recievers (most runningbacks are) and he has good hands. It's a good move for the rest of the season, but look for him to be back taking the majority of his time ar RB next year. Of course, this is just my opinion.

SirHinn
11-07-2008, 07:05 PM
This is the the OL' BALL COACH . Had to let you all in on, what you heard or seen D J playing in the slot on 3 wr set the last 2 games. MOST OF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING BAD, SO YOU CAN RUN POST IT. Had to check on that thread myself ( D J TO WR ). Got the word from the horses mouth; and I'm not talking about D J' s

Do any of you remember D J' s highschool high lite tape ? D j catching the ball, D J runing the ball , DJ returning punts, DJ returning kick-offs.

DJ willl be used the way the U OF F uses PERCY HARVIN. RB-1st, Slot-2nd, WR- 3rd

for you fans who want to judge a RB by how hard he hits the hole, it's more to being a back than run into a hole that's not there. Just keep in mind that the game is a lot tougher in the 1st QT than 4th QT. I think it's called mop-up

So he'll be used primarily at WR for the current time being which is exactly what Craig Bohl said he was going to do who happens to be the HORSE. Can't see him taking away carries from Rohl, so it just give the Bison more versatility.

ndsubison1
11-07-2008, 08:24 PM
bohl is just trying to get DJ on the field without taking away carries from Roehl and Paschall. DJ is too much of a threat and playmaker to not be on the field, I think it's a good idea to use him in the slot and out-wide or wherever for now. He has too much talent to not be on the field. I like how Bohl has been using him lately

missingnumber7
11-07-2008, 10:23 PM
bohl is just trying to get DJ on the field without taking away carries from Roehl and Paschall. DJ is too much of a threat and playmaker to not be on the field, I think it's a good idea to use him in the slot and out-wide or wherever for now. He has too much talent to not be on the field. I like how Bohl has been using him lately

Much like the way he got shamen on the field...when you have a threat and a playmaker, use him.

NDSUFREAK
11-08-2008, 12:17 AM
I still have some faith in DJ. He gonna get more attention in the off season and coaches will work with him more. As soon as Roehl graduates i have a feeling DJ will shine now that some of the spotline will be shown on him

Scooter1
11-08-2008, 12:26 AM
I still have some faith in DJ. He gonna get more attention in the off season and coaches will work with him more. As soon as Roehl graduates i have a feeling DJ will shine now that some of the spotline will be shown on him

Is a spotline like a skidmark? Oh,.... you meant spotlight.:D

Sorry..I couldn't resist.

NDSUFREAK
11-08-2008, 12:44 AM
Is a spotline like a skidmark? Oh,.... you meant spotlight.:D

Sorry..I couldn't resist.
yes, spotlight is what i meant :nod:

CaBisonFan
11-08-2008, 01:19 AM
Not arguing.

I see DJ as having a bright future with the Bison. He really hasn't had a good shot at showing his stuff yet. No one to blame...just reality...like you say. And I agree about a back's approach to attacking the hole.

In our offense, you have to be creative in finding ways to get the ball into the hands of guys that have real ability. DJ has great ability in the open field. I think that we can look forward to seeing him almost anywhere on the field in the future. Harvin would be correct. Reggie Bush would be another. Just get them the ball any way possible.

Guys with big talent 'create' positions...and good coordinators don't care about what it's called.

4mcruenomore
11-09-2008, 02:00 AM
I guess I'm the bad guy here.
Didn't he totally fumble a punt/kick return that 2nd game and totally lose it?
He hasn't done sh*t in the games he has been given the ball as a RB.
I'm not a big Pat fan either, but I don't see DJ being a #1 back, I'm sorry.
I see Voit passing both of them, and I'd like to see Josh run the ball.

MHDBisonfan
11-09-2008, 03:54 PM

I agree 100%. so there are at least 2 of us. i would say for the entire season, of which i have watched every game, every down, all but 2 of them in person, i have seen maybe 2 good plays from dj. voit makes a good play virtually every time he is on the field, including kick coverage. he runs hard and just seems to have "it" whatever that is. a nose for the ball, a knack for being in the right place at the right time, whatever. some kids have it and some kids don't. i would imagine thats what makes recruiting kids extremely difficult - trying to seperate kids, all of whom are great athletes, into the have "it" or don't have "it" category.

Scooter1
11-09-2008, 05:45 PM
One thing is certain. The spring game is going to be fun to watch. We will have Pat, DJ, Pete, Matt, and Josh will trying to show their stuff.

It will be fun to see who comes out on top.

ol' ball coach
11-09-2008, 07:35 PM
You are right, DJ hasn't done sh*t. Right now he's just catching up with the speed of the game. As far that fumble; it happens to the best punt returners. As of right now, I think his avg is 18 yds per return
Man I'm not taking anything away from Matt or Josh. but if you look at the up-side of what's to come from D J in the next 3 yrs, you wouldn't have wasted your time writing this. What can I say, he's playing on a 5 and 4 team that hasn't done sh*t. As for Josh, no time soon will he be taking any carries or return from away from DJ.

A REDSHRIT FRESHMAN- returning punts, returning kick-off with a 18 yds return avg , on the kick-off team, on the punt team, has started 1 game. mostly all his time at RB has come in the 1st half of the game, D J has also lined up in the slot this yr. Now their talking about moving him to WR

sounds like to me, that the NDSU coaching staff has all the confidence in the world in DJ.

AEBison1998
11-09-2008, 08:40 PM

I disagree with this one. I love watching Pat run. He runs as hard as anyone. I can't think of a guy that size that runs that hard inside.

DJ and Voit both equally struggled in the game at YSU. We couldn't get any yards in the first half. Neither guy was able to break a tackle. That is going to come. You have to admit that DJ's punt return last game where he made about 6-7 guys miss shows that he has some real talent. He's going to be able to come around and be great.

I am also a big Voit fan. He has a contrasting style to DJ. They are going to be a great complement. I haven't seen Josh plan in a game but I've seen him a couple times at scrimages and he has a little different style as well it appears. We have the horses in the backfield. That isn't going to be our problem. We haven't had as much success with our receivers developing...at least from what I have seen so far.

Hansel
11-09-2008, 08:52 PM
DJ and Voit both equally struggled in the game at YSU.

Voit had 5 carries for 40 yards for 8 ypc
DJ had 6 carries for 14 yards for 2.3 ypc

DJ still has time to be very good, but right now Voit is more ready to play RB at the college level

ol' ball coach
11-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Voit had 5 carries for 40 yards for 8 ypc
DJ had 6 carries for 14 yards for 2.3 ypc

DJ still has time to be very good, but right now Voit is more ready to play RB at the college levelSo if a kid has more yds that he got playing in the 4qt when the games are meaningless to both teams , that makes him better? So I guest DJ is ready to return kicks at the college level, but not play RB. Well he has 3 more yrs to lean how to play RB. While D J is leaning how to play RB for the next 3 yrs; you can save up enough coins by the time he is a Sr, to buy his # 8 jersey and stand proud in fargo dome and cheer when he wins the WALTER PAYTON award a the bisons win the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. D J is only going to get bigger, stronger, quicker, and faster.

tcbison
11-09-2008, 11:11 PM
So if a kid has more yds that he got playing in the 4qt when the games are meaningless to both teams , that makes him better? So I guest DJ is ready to return kicks at the college level, but not play RB. Well he has 3 more yrs to lean how to play RB. While D J is leaning how to play RB for the next 3 yrs; you can save up enough coins by the time he is a Sr, to buy his # 8 jersey and stand proud in fargo dome and cheer when he wins the WALTER PAYTON award a the bisons win the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. D J is only going to get bigger, stronger, quicker, and faster.

I am all for that! Bring it on.

Scooter1
11-09-2008, 11:14 PM
If DJ is so dissappointing, why are we trying to find him more touches of the football?

BraxtonT
11-10-2008, 12:07 AM
So if a kid has more yds that he got playing in the 4qt when the games are meaningless to both teams , that makes him better? So I guest DJ is ready to return kicks at the college level, but not play RB. Well he has 3 more yrs to lean how to play RB. While D J is leaning how to play RB for the next 3 yrs; you can save up enough coins by the time he is a Sr, to buy his # 8 jersey and stand proud in fargo dome and cheer when he wins the WALTER PAYTON award a the bisons win the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. D J is only going to get bigger, stronger, quicker, and faster.

DJ's coach or agent?

Instead of telling everybody how great he is going to be, why don't you stay humble and see what happens the next few years. I'm one of those who has not been impressed by what I've seen, probably because of all hype thrust upon him by guys like you.

Like previously posted by someone else, I hope DJ and Matt Voigtlander complement one another quite well in the years to come. However, I personally don't think all this DJ hype (Walter Payton Award? Are you serious?) helps anyone associated with Bison football, especially DJ.

As for the 'bolded' statement you made. The stats given to which you were responding would have been first half stats from the Youngstown State game.

BraxtonT
11-10-2008, 12:15 AM
If DJ is so dissappointing, why are we trying to find him more touches of the football?

I've been asking myself that same question all season?!!

I remember Tony Satter's first college games as a true freshman. Right away, I had the feeling that Tony had 'it' to be successful.

Kyle Steffes? Ditto

DJ is hopefully following in Lamar Gordon's footsteps. Gordon started out quite slowly, but turned into a very good player.

I will stand and cheer loudly when the performance is seen on the field, but I'm not going to blindly believe that he will eventually become a superstar because of bunch of folks on this message board think he will be.

Hansel
11-10-2008, 12:28 AM
So if a kid has more yds that he got playing in the 4qt when the games are meaningless to both teams , that makes him better?

Yeahhh.... the game came down to the final play, so I would say no yards gained in that game were meaningless- Once again- DJ may be a very good RB eventually, but he isn't ready for primetime at RB yet

So I guest DJ is ready to return kicks at the college level, but not play RB.

Pretty much ;)

BraxtonT
11-10-2008, 12:56 AM
I disagree with this one. I love watching Pat run. He runs as hard as anyone. I can't think of a guy that size that runs that hard inside.

DJ and Voit both equally struggled in the game at YSU. We couldn't get any yards in the first half. Neither guy was able to break a tackle. That is going to come. You have to admit that DJ's punt return last game where he made about 6-7 guys miss shows that he has some real talent. He's going to be able to come around and be great.

I am also a big Voit fan. He has a contrasting style to DJ. They are going to be a great complement. I haven't seen Josh plan in a game but I've seen him a couple times at scrimages and he has a little different style as well it appears. We have the horses in the backfield. That isn't going to be our problem. We haven't had as much success with our receivers developing...at least from what I have seen so far.

Sure, it looked nice against Indiana State. It also looked great when Richard Lewis ran back a couple of TD's against Moorhead State a few years back, too. When great things are done against high quality competition is when all of the Bison faithful will be convinced of the 'real talent'.

MHDBisonfan
11-10-2008, 01:09 AM
Sure, it looked nice against Indiana State. It also looked great when Richard Lewis ran back a couple of TD's against Moorhead State a few years back, too. When great things are done against high quality competition is when all of the Bison faithful will be convinced of the 'real talent'.

exactly! just read the stats - its a no brainer. dj: 9 games, 3.0 ypc. voit: 9 games, 8.1 ypc. dj: 5 catches for 17 yards - 3.1 ypr. voit: 1 catch 14 yards.

we'll see about kick returns next season. that was a josh horner specialty. be interesting to see how it all plays out next year.

ol' ball coach
11-10-2008, 02:53 AM
DJ's coach or agent?

Instead of telling everybody how great he is going to be, why don't you stay humble and see what happens the next few years. I'm one of those who has not been impressed by what I've seen, probably because of all hype thrust upon him by guys like you.

Like previously posted by someone else, I hope DJ and Matt Voigtlander complement one another quite well in the years to come. However, I personally don't think all this DJ hype (Walter Payton Award? Are you serious?) helps anyone associated with Bison football, especially DJ.

As for the 'bolded' statement you made. The stats given to which you were responding would have been first half stats from the Youngstown State game.To tell you the truth braxtonT,I'm not impressed about the stats that DJ has. But what I am impressed with is the time he is getting on the field. ( BraxtonT-- it can be only 1 or 2 things about DJ why you can't see the up-side ) 1-you haven't been around football long enough to know talent when you see it. or 2 you are one of those people that( hates on him because he's not from ND, or the mid-west ).
As for the bold statement and the hype. If NDSU is winning in 09,10,11, DJ will be a big part ( think of the up-side, and don't hate. That's what the sdsu fan do so well (hate ).

4mcruenomore
11-10-2008, 03:30 AM
I'm not trying to be hard on the kid, or not a "true fan". I'm just not that impressed with him. I am glad to see I'm not the only one seeing this. That fumble was huge too, I don't care what anybody says. I see this kid going for "glory", you gotta catch the ball before you can run it to the house. At this point, putting him at WR seems a good fit. See what happens.

ol' ball coach
11-10-2008, 04:28 AM
In every walk of life there will be the ones ( haters ) that think you can't make it. Things started the same way his fr yr in highschool; nobody thought he could be that impact player. (over 3000 a-p yds in 2 seasons Jr & Sr) DJ is on a 5 yr plan at NDSU, and the way things are going, he is on track to be that impact player at NDSU. By his Sr YR 200 a-p yds pg (RB, Slot, WR, PR, KR,) you pick your poison .That spells WALTER PAYTON AWARD

Check out the high-lite tape on u-tube.

BraxtonT
11-10-2008, 04:31 AM
To tell you the truth braxtonT,I'm not impressed about the stats that DJ has. But what I am impressed with is the time he is getting on the field. ( BraxtonT-- it can be only 1 or 2 things about DJ why you can't see the up-side ) 1-you haven't been around football long enough to know talent when you see it. or 2 you are one of those people that( hates on him because he's not from ND, or the mid-west ).
As for the bold statement and the hype. If NDSU is winning in 09,10,11, DJ will be a big part ( think of the up-side, and don't hate. That's what the sdsu fan do so well (hate ).

I've been watching Bison football faithfully since 1981. I can only judge by what I see on the field where it matters. I gave a few examples of guys that burst onto the scene and just knew they were going to be great. DJ is not in that category, but he COULD BECOME a great one. Only time will tell on that one.

We're actually on the same side here. We both would love to see him excel. The only thing I take exception to is the 'hype'. I just don't believe blowing sunshine up someone's butt all the time helps that individual. I hope DJ doesn't read any of my stuff or yours.

Hating on him? I don't 'hate on him'. I've been critical of the performances I've seen based on the hype you guys have put out on this website. The perceived 'hate' is directed towards those who practically put him into the Hall of Fame before he ever played one down of college football.

As far as where he is from, I could care less. If he is helping the Bison program, I'll be happy for him and the program. I was a huge Reggie Scott (Cairo, Georgia) fan back in the mid 1990s before he got himself into a bunch of trouble. That guy was loaded with football talent. There aren't a lot of other examples from the DII days of guys who came up here from non-Midwest areas.

I'd like to see Troy Jackson (Los Angeles) get a shot over Nick Mertens (East Grand Forks, Minnesota).

Also on the current roster, we have plenty of non-ND or non- Midwest guys that have shown me quality play. Texas (Agbetola, Bowman, Williams), California (Richardson), and Missouri (Paschall).

Again, with your 'if', why do you insist on setting him up? The Bison could win with him or without him. I'd love to see him become a 'legend' around here. If that happens, the wins and championships will be there.

Again, my perceived 'hate' is not towards DJ McNorton. It is towards all the hype that you guys put on this site. I wish him nothing but the best as he continues to try to help the Bison program. Hell, that is what all true Bison fans are hoping for.

MHDBisonfan
11-10-2008, 04:34 AM
In every walk of life there will be the ones ( haters ) that think you can't make it. Things started the same way his fr yr in highschool; nobody thought he could be that impact player. (over 3000 a-p yds in 2 seasons Jr & Sr) DJ is on a 5 yr plan at NDSU, and the way things are going, he is on track to be that impact player at NDSU. By his Sr YR 200 a-p yds pg (RB, Slot, WR, PR, KR,) you pick your poison .That spells WALTER PAYTON AWARD

Oh brother. I love the Bison and I hope I'm wrong, hopefully the kid will win the WP, but that statement seems pretty out there. I'll be the first to eat crow :hungry: if it happens (and like i said, i hope it does) i just don't see it.

ndsubison1
11-10-2008, 05:08 AM

if he wins the walter payton award than al gore will win the Noble Peace Prize... oh wait, :blush: :rofl:

HerdBot
11-10-2008, 06:01 AM

I don't think anyone is hating on the guy. In fact most of us really wanted to see the guy get on the field because of the You Tube video.

Fact is since he's been on the field, he's been far from impressive. Actually, he's been the worst back on the team but that's not necessarily bad since we're loaded in the back field. I'm not saying he's been terrible and hasn't shown any flashes of brilliance, but I've seen nothing that jumps out at me and says "that guy is going to be a star." (when I saw Lamar Gordon play as a freshman I saw the star qualities and he ended up in the NFL)

What does he lack?

- Straight line speed. He's got more shake and bake than any of the other running backs but he's easily the slowest runningback on the team for straight line speed. We won't see him go 70 yards untouched.

- Vision. He hits the hole too slow. Sorry DJ but making people miss in High School doesn't work at this level of football. Hit the hole fast then make people miss.

What is he good at?

- Quickness. Not to be confused with straight line speed. He's quick but not quick to the right spots.

- Making people miss in an open field. (when he doesn't have to think about blockers)

He's clearly not ready to play. He's too slow to break a long run. He won't run you over and he's too slow to hit the hole. Does that mean he will never be good? No because he's a freshman and he's still learning a complex offense. When he learns how to be patient and gets bigger, stronger, and faster, he will step it up a level.

Right now, his skills are best used as a punt returner, on a reverse, end around, or catching a short pass. Maybe on a screen pass or swing pass.

Will he be a big time playmaker down the road? POSSIBLY if he learns to play to his strengths and gets a bit faster and stronger. 2 years from now I can see him being an above average back and that's with a lot of improvement.

EXPECTING anything more than that is disprespectful to college football and this program because we've had some great players go through here.

ndsubison1
11-10-2008, 07:11 AM
I don't think anyone is hating on the guy. In fact most of us really wanted to see the guy get on the field because of the You Tube video.

Fact is since he's been on the field, he's been far from impressive. Actually, he's been the worst back on the team but that's not necessarily bad since we're loaded in the back field. I'm not saying he's been terrible and hasn't shown any flashes of brilliance, but I've seen nothing that jumps out at me and says "that guy is going to be a star." (when I saw Lamar Gordon play as a freshman I saw the star qualities and he ended up in the NFL)

What does he lack?

- Straight line speed. He's got more shake and bake than any of the other running backs but he's easily the slowest runningback on the team for straight line speed. We won't see him go 70 yards untouched.

- Vision. He hits the hole too slow. Sorry DJ but making people miss in High School doesn't work at this level of football. Hit the hole fast then make people miss.

What is he good at?

- Quickness. Not to be confused with straight line speed. He's quick but not quick to the right spots.

- Making people miss in an open field. (when he doesn't have to think about blockers)

He's clearly not ready to play. He's too slow to break a long run. He won't run you over and he's too slow to hit the hole. Does that mean he will never be good? No because he's a freshman and he's still learning a complex offense. When he learns how to be patient and gets bigger, stronger, and faster, he will step it up a level.

Right now, his skills are best used as a punt returner, on a reverse, end around, or catching a short pass. Maybe on a screen pass or swing pass.

Will he be a big time playmaker down the road? POSSIBLY if he learns to play to his strengths and gets a bit faster and stronger. 2 years from now I can see him being an above average back and that's with a lot of improvement.

EXPECTING anything more than that is disprespectful to college football and this program because we've had some great players go through here.

rep points+++++++ i agree with just about all of the above... he doesn't have excellent straight line speed but he does have football speed... all in all, I think he has a lot of potential and talent, but adjusting from HS to FCS is a big step, give him a year or two to judge him. "Judge not lest ye be judged."

bisonhusker
11-10-2008, 03:49 PM
I love the 'Ol Ball Coach. I think everyone is pretty accurate on this thread, but I like how 'Ol Ball coach is accepting that he is on a 5 year plan, he is learning behind great backs and in due time, he will explode. The coaches talk very highly of this kids ability....has he shown it yet? No, but getting him on the field more often should show you that they love him (and our young WR's aren't getting it done).

He has the ability, he is getting stronger and there is nothing wrong with 'Ol Ball coach sharing his thoughts. I remember his first posts about him when he signed. Obviously they have a very close relationship and he is behind DJ all the way. Keep it going!!!

Ol Ball coach...how is your team doing this year? Your son still playing? Keep us posted. Thanks.

lakesbison
11-10-2008, 04:17 PM
DJ is SWEET ..hey ol Ball coach! WHy didn't you come tailgate up here in fargo this year??

disappointed in ya bro...

tony
11-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Just curious - where does the claim that DJ is easily the slowest RB we have? Did they publish 40 times?

Sometimes being tenative makes players look slow (perfect example: NDSU in 2006 was way too slow to compete against Cal Poly but in 2007 suddenly NDSU looked just as quick as them, if not quicker).

ol' ball coach
11-10-2008, 04:35 PM

What does he lack?

What is he good at?

EXPECTING anything more than that is disprespectful to college football and this program because we've had some great players go through here.Another hater, they are everywhere on this board. So if any of this is true,why is DJ on the field. If DJ is so bad,why is the NDSU staff still trying to get him on the field .NDSU is in trouble for the next 3 yrs, because they don't have any upper-classman to be impact players. So for the next 3 yrs you will be cheering for him. You really do sound like a arm chair QB; and the NDSU coaching staff don't know anything about football.( let you tell it. )
You sound like you have never even been around football or played the game. Arm chair QB's will always see what a true football coaching staff don't see. If the NDSU coach staff thinks DJ can be that impact player for the next 3 yrs, who cares what a arm chair QB thinks

lakesbison
11-10-2008, 04:37 PM
SING IT BROTHA!!!!

DJ WILL BYPASS ANYTHING WE HAVE SEEN IN TERMS OF ALL-PURPOSE USE.. if .. and IF.. and WHEN... the coaching staff gets him in the slot, and use in T wing's, reverses, screens...

I have it on good authority, THEY already have WOLFPACK formation with DJ getting the rock...

HOLLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tony
11-10-2008, 04:48 PM
You sound like you have never even been around football or played the game. Arm chair QB's will always see what a true football coaching staff don't see. If the NDSU coach staff thinks DJ can be that impact player for the next 3 yrs, who cares what a arm chair QB thinks

Hehe, well, there wouldn't be any bisonville.com if nobody cared what arm chair QBs think. In my case, "think" is probably stretching things a bit.

I still don't think DJ is going to WR - sure, they'll put him in the slot just like they did with Roehl in the UNI game but doubt it means anything. Heck, maybe he'll do better out there than Roehl did in the UNI game (I gotta think Roehl was barely able to walk at that point).

runtheoption
11-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Another hater, they are everywhere on this board.

"Another hater", really? You seem to use that term pretty loosely, throwing it around at people that are using a more wait and see approach with DJ.

ol' ball coach, everyone on this board wants DJ to excel, help NDSU win championships, win the Walter Payton award, and get to the NFL with a huge contract. Most everyone agrees that he has great potential and shown a few flashes of brilliance. However, most everyone is not ready to annoint him just because you say he will be a superstar.

College sports fans, and sports fans in general use a "What have you done for me lately" approach when it comes to cheering for individuals in a team sport.

Plus, he might have the lakesbison curse.

17>1
11-10-2008, 05:49 PM
I think the only reason Roehl was lined up in the slot was for blocking purposes only. That was my take anyway. It seemed like the couple of times I saw him lined up out there that Mert's put him motion and snapped the ball just as he approached the edge of the line. Then Roehl absolutely leveled the D lineman on the edge. I saw it happen at least twice.

tcbison
11-10-2008, 07:13 PM
I think the only reason Roehl was lined up in the slot was for blocking purposes only. That was my take anyway. It seemed like the couple of times I saw him lined up out there that Mert's put him motion and snapped the ball just as he approached the edge of the line. Then Roehl absolutely leveled the D lineman on the edge. I saw it happen at least twice.

I think you are absolutely correct. Roehl would crackback on the DE or block a LB. It was fun watching him throw some great blocks.

bisonmike2
11-10-2008, 07:24 PM
SING IT BROTHA!!!!

DJ WILL BYPASS ANYTHING WE HAVE SEEN IN TERMS OF ALL-PURPOSE USE.. if .. and IF.. and WHEN... the coaching staff gets him in the slot, and use in T wing's, reverses, screens...

I have it on good authority, THEY already have WOLFPACK formation with DJ getting the rock...

HOLLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not a DJ hater but it looks like he just recieved the Lakes Kiss O' Death.:(

/The kid's a freshman. I look forward to him growing into the NDSU's offense in the coming years.

bisonhusker
11-10-2008, 10:03 PM
The coaches see the promise in him. Has it translated to the field yet? Probably not. I will trust what they see 99% of the time. Nobody is on the case of our underachieving young WR's, but for some reason some people are critical of a freshman that the coaches are trying to get the ball to more often. Sounds pretty bizarre to me. The two WR's have a total of what....3 catches this year? WOW.

I will agree with Lakes on this one. Give this kid some time. He is our 3rd string back right now. He is a big part of our future and I am not sure whey we are not behind him right now. We need to be able to run the football.

MHDBisonfan
11-11-2008, 12:58 AM
The coaches see the promise in him. Has it translated to the field yet? Probably not. I will trust what they see 99% of the time. Nobody is on the case of our underachieving young WR's, but for some reason some people are critical of a freshman that the coaches are trying to get the ball to more often. Sounds pretty bizarre to me. The two WR's have a total of what....3 catches this year? WOW.

I will agree with Lakes on this one. Give this kid some time. He is our 3rd string back right now. He is a big part of our future and I am not sure whey we are not behind him right now. We need to be able to run the football.

Because the WRs not playing as much do not have better stats. DJ is averaging 3 ypc, while voit is averaging over 8. which one is getting things done on the field?

Mr. Burgundy
11-11-2008, 02:50 AM
if these young WR's are being kept off the field because of Belquist's massive production, we are in trouble at the WR position in the future. I agree, I like Voit alot...but the coaches are seeing something in practice to want DJ to be getting the ball in space more often. He isn't ready to carry the ball between the tackles like Voit, but I am excited to see how he develops in the future. Did Tyler Roehl improve as his career went on? Did everyone think he could be a tailback for NDSU as a freshman? I am going to guess no. I really like our tailback position in the future. PP next year as the senior, DJ and Voit getting more carriers and the kid from South (Horner) doing some of the things I saw him do in practice....he looks very good. It should be a nice position to follow. Now I wish I could see some WR future. Nothing is firing me up with those guys.

HerdBot
11-11-2008, 03:53 AM
Another hater, they are everywhere on this board. So if any of this is true,why is DJ on the field. If DJ is so bad,why is the NDSU staff still trying to get him on the field .NDSU is in trouble for the next 3 yrs, because they don't have any upper-classman to be impact players. So for the next 3 yrs you will be cheering for him. You really do sound like a arm chair QB; and the NDSU coaching staff don't know anything about football.( let you tell it. )

First off- honest criticism is not hating. You need to learn to not be so defensive and take something positive out of criticism. Anything less if being a homer.

DJ is NOT seeing the field as a running back and if Blincoe or Shamen Washington hadn't endured "season ending injuries", DJ wouldn't have touched the ball this year at all.

He's the 4th back behind another Freshman who was much less hyped but is flat out better, stronger, and faster. Paschall will be the top dog next year. And unless DJ improves, Voightlander will be ahead of him on the depth chart. DJ will be fighting it out with local product Josh Horner for the 3rd spot.

The only reason he is seeing the ball as a punt returner is because Shamen Washington got injured and is out for the year.

You really think we're in trouble for the next 3 years if DJ doesn't pan out? You just think because he's from Texas and has a flashy You Tube video, he's got an edge and you can't accept the fact that the North Dakota and Minnesota backs are actually faster stronger and better than DJ.

The reason they are moving him to wide receiver is because 1) he's won't see the field at running back and 2) he's actually good when he can touch the ball in an open field. It plays to his strengths.

We will be fine with or without DJ. For the record I hope he does well because he's got the skills, but he's got a lot to prove.

HerdBot
11-11-2008, 03:57 AM

I was the first person to criticize our wide receivers and Wurzbacher. The only reason I'll be critical of DJ is because everyone keeps telling me how great he is. I haven't seen it. Maybe this move kills 2 birds with 1 stone.

lakesbison
11-11-2008, 05:19 AM
gabe.. its called 'recognizing talent'

DJ has talent.. that IT quality that not a lot of players from this area have.

or WR's and TE's SUCK this year. . . but DJ was getting touches from day 1 this year as a freshman.

the coaches see DJ as someone who can flat out make defenders miss in the open field. PERIOD.

Mr. Burgundy
11-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Note to self, Gabe likes Voit.

HerdBot
11-11-2008, 01:44 PM

or WR's and TE's SUCK this year. . . but DJ was getting touches from day 1 this year as a freshman.

the coaches see DJ as someone who can flat out make defenders miss in the open field. PERIOD.

I don't deny DJ has talent. He's the shiftiest guy on the team. But he's not as fast as Roehl or Voight. He hits the hole slower than both of them and he doesn't use his blockers.

The only reason he has seen the field this year is because of injuries to Shamen, Roehl, Paschall, and Blincoe. It's not because he's such an elite talent. (although he is a talent)

He's being used at wide receiver because he's a perfect fit for it in the West Coast Offense and quite frankly, nobody outside of Heckendorf is producing. He will be catching the ball and he only has to make 1 guy miss. He does that better than anyone on the team.

I'm not saying he's not talented. I'm saying the other guys are just as talented at running back while other people think he's the only guy worthy because he's from Texas and has a fancy you tube video vs subpar competition.

EDIT: Lakes I wouldn't say our TE's have sucked this year... just one of them can't catch.

MHDBisonfan
11-11-2008, 02:53 PM

Only one problem with that - he can't get to the open field (or "space" as it became trendy to call it last year - i still call it open field too lakes) as evidenced by his stats - long run of 16 yards? compare that to the other 3 main running backs who all have busted out a 40+ run at least once. long pass catch of 6 yards? obviously we can't compare that to the wr's, but look at compared to the other rb's: Jangs 38, roehl 15, pp 25, vandal 21, voit 14. I will grant you he did have one long punt return. we'll see if thats his role next season

lakesbison
11-11-2008, 03:31 PM
well.... gabe. mhd..

maybe this is more out of frustration for burgandy and me.

TE's= dropitis

WR"s= can't find with spotlight.

Coaches= WHY COULDNT THEY FORESEE THIS AFTER WYOMING/YSU or hell, even during those games??

that's my only beef.

Voit & Paschall will be meat and potato guys from the RB position.

DJ will be the Filet Mignon and produce quality if used in the right spots.

MHDBisonfan
11-11-2008, 04:38 PM
well.... gabe. mhd..

maybe this is more out of frustration for burgandy and me.

TE's= dropitis

WR"s= can't find with spotlight.

Coaches= WHY COULDNT THEY FORESEE THIS AFTER WYOMING/YSU or hell, even during those games??

that's my only beef.

Voit & Paschall will be meat and potato guys from the RB position.

DJ will be the Filet Mignon and produce quality if used in the right spots.

lakes - i agree with every single thing you wrote here!!! i think we're all suffering from this huge disappointment of a season. after 5 years of waiting, then to seemingly have everything in place for a run at the title - ranked #1 for a couple weeks - then to just completely lay an egg....well, its hard to take...for players, coaches, and fans. blehh. :banghead:

CaBisonFan
11-11-2008, 04:56 PM
lakes - i agree with every single thing you wrote here!!! i think we're all suffering from this huge disappointment of a season. after 5 years of waiting, then to seemingly have everything in place for a run at the title - ranked #1 for a couple weeks - then to just completely lay an egg....well, its hard to take...for players, coaches, and fans. blehh. :banghead:

DJ has big-time talent. It will be up to the coaches to find ways to use him. I don't care if they change his spot on the field for every play. He belongs on the field. We'd be stupid 'not' to use him a ton. Right now...he doesn't break through the holes (if there are any), but he will get stronger and he will learn. He is a thoroughbred of FBS caliber. Just needs to be used correctly.

I agree with you on the disappointment part MHD. I'm with you totally.

It started at QB. I'm not laying into Nick. We should have had the option to sit him down...which can be good for any athlete at the right time. He has been carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders. Again...he was put on the shelf for 3 years...with just a few opportunities to pass and to run a portion of the offensive book. In baseball, if you have an ace that is getting shelled, you get him off the field to protect him physically & mentally...especially an inexperienced one. Nick couldn't be relieved. I was in favor of pulling Mohler's redshirt in order to get this done...in the middle of the season. I'd still be in favor of it to give him two games of real experience for two reasons: 1. Find out if he has the talent. 2. If he has the talent, to get him ready.

The problem 'is' at QB. The rest would fall in line if that was working.

This was a result of 3 things:

1. Poor planning
2. Poor planning
3. Poor planning

Sorry to vent the obvious. But I want to defend the entire team. You can't block, run, or even play defense when the flow of the game is dictated by erratic QB play. Offensive schemes have been horrible also. The dominos have fallen. It's really hard to pick them back up once the entire formation has gone done. I'd like to see at win at Missouri State...and then return the favor to SDSU in Fargo. To me, that would have some meaning.

ol' ball coach
11-11-2008, 06:42 PM
First off- honest criticism is not hating. You need to learn to not be so defensive and take something positive out of criticism. Anything less if being a homer.

DJ is NOT seeing the field as a running back and if Blincoe or Shamen Washington hadn't endured "season ending injuries", DJ wouldn't have touched the ball this year at all.

He's the 4th back behind another Freshman who was much less hyped but is flat out better, stronger, and faster. Paschall will be the top dog next year. And unless DJ improves, Voightlander will be ahead of him on the depth chart. DJ will be fighting it out with local product Josh Horner for the 3rd spot.

The only reason he is seeing the ball as a punt returner is because Shamen Washington got injured and is out for the year.

You really think we're in trouble for the next 3 years if DJ doesn't pan out? You just think because he's from Texas and has a flashy You Tube video, he's got an edge and you can't accept the fact that the North Dakota and Minnesota backs are actually faster stronger and better than DJ.

The reason they are moving him to wide receiver is because 1) he's won't see the field at running back and 2) he's actually good when he can touch the ball in an open field. It plays to his strengths.

We will be fine with or without DJ. For the record I hope he does well because he's got the skills, but he's got a lot to prove.First of all; as for being defensive. Who's being defensive ? I'm taking something out of your's and a few others criticism. Look man, I'm not trying to stop anyone from forming their on opinions. But, some of you guys are way out of line with some of the things you write about these kids, and to call yourself a true Bison fans.
Gabe, you are sounding like a little kid with this. I got over 19 yrs in the coaching game Gabe. The last 8, has been at a D-1 progam. What about you ? Somebody who knows the ol' ball coach, send him a PM ; with my history.

Gabe which is it ? He can or he can't ? He will or He won't. He has skills or He don't have skills? This is what I'm talk about ( hating ) or being a ( hater ). You said DJ is good at some things, and bad at other things. The NDSU coaching staff must be out of options, and has to put DJ in the game when they do; what do you think Gabe? even if it is in the 1qt ,or even starte him 1- game, or return punts or kick-offs as a RSF. I guest you dont see the big big big pictrue of college football and the devlopment of a player. I always say, if those fans would just come to practice, or ask a coach why, or talk to the players. As for DJ only playing because of a few players having season ending injuries, thats so true. I guest that everything happens for a reason, and most of the time something good comes out of it. Hay gabe & friends, you can't watch the NDSU games 1 time on a 12" screen on your pc@ gobison ,and think you see everything; and don't be so hard on the kids.

Hating and honest criticism is not the same-thing. SOME WILL LOVE DJ, SOME WILL HATE DJ, SOME WILL LIKE DJ, SOME WILL NOT LIKE DJ. Gabe you and your guys better get on DJ's banwagon while there's still room to ride. Love him or hate him, you can't do both. If you are going to ride; just remember, this ride will be going for the next 3 yrs.

CaBisonFan
11-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Thank you ball coach. Perspective

bisonhusker
11-11-2008, 07:48 PM
Ol Ball coach....where did your son end up playing? How are things going. sorry that we have so many arm chair qb's with all the solutions. The one time I ran into DJ at a fast food restaurant was after a game with the other redshirts....and he was first class. Impressive young man. I hope he ends up having a successful career. If Bohl says he needs to get the ball in his hands more, I guess that says something. Go Bison.

HerdBot
11-12-2008, 02:02 AM
First of all; as for being defensive. Who's being defensive ? I'm taking something out of your's and a few others criticism. Look man, I'm not trying to stop anyone from forming their on opinions. But, some of you guys are way out of line with some of the things you write about these kids, and to call yourself a true Bison fans.
Gabe, you are sounding like a little kid with this. I got over 19 yrs in the coaching game Gabe. The last 8, has been at a D-1 progam. What about you ? Somebody who knows the ol' ball coach, send him a PM ; with my history.

Gabe which is it ? He can or he can't ? He will or He won't. He has skills or He don't have skills? This is what I'm talk about ( hating ) or being a ( hater ). You said DJ is good at some things, and bad at other things. The NDSU coaching staff must be out of options, and has to put DJ in the game when they do; what do you think Gabe? even if it is in the 1qt ,or even starte him 1- game, or return punts or kick-offs as a RSF. I guest you dont see the big big big pictrue of college football and the devlopment of a player. I always say, if those fans would just come to practice, or ask a coach why, or talk to the players. As for DJ only playing because of a few players having season ending injuries, thats so true. I guest that everything happens for a reason, and most of the time something good comes out of it. Hay gabe & friends, you can't watch the NDSU games 1 time on a 12" screen on your pc@ gobison ,and think you see everything; and don't be so hard on the kids.

Hating and honest criticism is not the same-thing. SOME WILL LOVE DJ, SOME WILL HATE DJ, SOME WILL LIKE DJ, SOME WILL NOT LIKE DJ. Gabe you and your guys better get on DJ's banwagon while there's still room to ride. Love him or hate him, you can't do both. If you are going to ride; just remember, this ride will be going for the next 3 yrs.

I couldn't have missed more than a dozen home games over the last 25 years and I've watched them win 6 National Championships so I take offense when you tell me "I can't form an opinion by watching a game on a PC."

Don't throw your coaching resume at me as a way to make a point. I'm not impressed at all. Take Eric Mangini. The guy played high school football and his first coaching job was in the NFL. It doens't take a genius to recognize talent. You don't sound like a coach. You sound like an agent.

I've watched 20 NDSU players start out as freshman and watch them get a shot in the pro's. Some made it while others didn't. But I've seen my share of runningbacks come through this program so I have a pretty good history of watching players develop.

Actually, your the one 2nd guessing Bohl's decision to put him at WR. I'm not. I actually agree with him.

Criticism? Players need thick skin because everything they do is under a microscope. Sorry but college football is kind of a big deal and your going to get criticized. If you can't take a little heat then get out of the kitchen.

I'm still trying to figure out what I said that was so disrespectful. I said he's got the most "shake & bake" out of eveyone on the team and he's talented but he doens't have the breakaway speed the other guys have. I said he's young and learning a complex offense. I said he's the worst runningback NOW on a deep team. I said I've seen a few flashes of brilliance but nothing that jumps and and says "he's going to be a super star."

I would be disrespecting the other guys but not acknowleging they are great.

You make it sound like he's the best player to ever set foot on campus. I say he doesn't break the top 100. And that's not disrepectful. If you think it is you have no clue about this teams tradition.

I won't jump on any players bandwagon because I'm a fan of the TEAM. I hope he's the greatest player in the history of NDSU football and I'm rooting for him. Have I seen much yet? No. I hope I'm wrong.

With that I'm done on the topic but GO DJ! I wish you well.

ol' ball coach
11-12-2008, 04:17 AM
So Gabe, you said you haven't missed a bison game in the last 25 yrs and that you can see with your 12" screen. Tell me this; Name me 5 players in the last 25 yrs of bison football ,that has played RB, Slot, WR, PR, KR, punt team, kick-off team in 1 game for 1 season?

HerdBot
11-12-2008, 04:41 AM
So Gabe, you said you haven't missed a bison game in the last 25 yrs and that you can see with your 12" screen. Tell me this; Name me 5 players in the last 25 yrs of bison football ,that has played RB, Slot, WR, PR, KR, punt team, kick-off team in 1 game for 1 season?

I have season tickets and I've only missed a handful of home games over the last 25 years. (missed a ton of road games though)

That's a good question. Actually, Shamen Washington played RB, PR, KR, and WR in the same game quite a few times but I doubt he played on kickoff coverage since he's undersized plus you want to keep your skilled players healthy.

Many people have done RB/PR/KR and Return teams, but I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who played WR too.

I haven't seen DJ do it at the college level either but it would be cool to see it done. I don't doubt he has the ability but it seems like a sure way to get hurt.

Mr. Burgundy
11-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Gabe....seriously. You are just being negative. You say "you doubt he has the ability, and it seems like a sure way to get hurt." That is "hating." Give the FRESHMAN a chance. If Bohl thinks he can do it....why won't you give him a shot. Ol ball coach agrees with you....he has not got it done on the field yet. They are trying some different things to get him the ball. Why the big deal? Get over it. You seem like a great poster who has it out for this poor kid. It isn't like he has thrown 923 interceptions.

HerdBot
11-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Gabe....seriously. You are just being negative. You say "you doubt he has the ability, and it seems like a sure way to get hurt." That is "hating." Give the FRESHMAN a chance. If Bohl thinks he can do it....why won't you give him a shot. Ol ball coach agrees with you....he has not got it done on the field yet. They are trying some different things to get him the ball. Why the big deal? Get over it. You seem like a great poster who has it out for this poor kid. It isn't like he has thrown 923 interceptions.

Dude... you didn't read all the words. Read it again. I wrote something positive.

"I DON'T doubt he has the ability"

And there is a reason nobody in the last 25 years had played WR/RB/KR/PR and covered kickoffs and punts in the same game because no normal human can do it without getting injured. That's not criticism. You don't put your playmakers in a position to get injured. It's a bad idea.

I don't have it out for the kid at all. I acknowledge he's good but I haven't seen anything to indicate he's going to be one of the all time greats. Walter Payton Award Award? Are people being serious? That insults my intelligence. He needs to beat out Voightlander first. Then next year he needs to beat out Paschall and Horner. Then I'll start to believe.

lakesbison
11-12-2008, 01:59 PM
he beat out VOIT at the beginning of the season based on fall camp. and even though VOIT has ripped off a long run here or there. (see central conneticut).. CENTRAL CONNECTICT!... neither has done much from the RB position.

but the fact that bohl will be using him in slot and wr and returns, tells me he has beat him out.

DJ will be a MAJOR PLAYA.. last 2 games and next year FO SURE!!

HerdBot
11-12-2008, 02:21 PM
he beat out VOIT at the beginning of the season based on fall camp. and even though VOIT has ripped off a long run here or there. (see central conneticut).. CENTRAL CONNECTICT!... neither has done much from the RB position.

but the fact that bohl will be using him in slot and wr and returns, tells me he has beat him out.

DJ's behind Voightlander on the depth chart. DJ hasn't touched the ball since Youngstown while Voight has gotten plenty of touches since.

Everyone is trying to put a positive spin on Shamen getting hurt and trying to call it a reason to hype DJ. Belquist wasn't putting up huge numbers and he's the #2 wide receiver so it was not a bright idea to risk injury to him. DJ's the obvious choice.

I hope he does well. I like what I've seen so far in the return game.

rutlandbison
11-12-2008, 02:34 PM

What happened when DJ touched the ball against CENTRAL CONNECTICUT.

roadwarrior
11-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Voigtlander also had a 45 yard run against Western Illinois.

Season stats:
Voigtlander 28 rushes for 228 yards.
McNorton 32 rushes for 97 yards.

NDSUFan_Sav
11-12-2008, 04:58 PM

hahaha

I agree with putting him in slot, also why not do direct snaps to our RBs, you're starting to see that a lot more in the NFL even and seems to be working well. Being Mertens is the athlete, why can't he start at the qb spot and head out to the WR spot direct snap it to paschall roehl, or dj and either they do a short pass or get good blocks and pick up some good yardage???

HerdBot
11-12-2008, 05:03 PM
What happened when DJ touched the ball against CENTRAL CONNECTICUT.

3.3 yards per carry. Take out his longest run and it drops to 2.18 ypc.

Voight went 10 for 82 yards or 8.2 ypc. Take out his longest and he still averages 6.

MHDBisonfan
11-13-2008, 12:36 AM

There's another possibility for this as well. OBC, if you've been a coach that long, then you know that there are some players you have on your team that make you scratch your head - they are awesome in practice, dazzle everyone, but when the lights go on and people are paying to watch them play, they don't produce. Maybe dj is like this? maybe the reason he is playing all those positions isn't because they need him on the field (like you'd see in high school with the best athlete playing off, def, sp teams) but because they are searching for a position where he actually produces. Obviously the coaches are seeing something in practices that we as fans aren't privy to, but he clearly isn't producing in games and like I said, its a head scratcher because as a coach, you expect practice to translate to games, but it doesn't always work that way.

ol' ball coach
11-13-2008, 03:59 AM
There's another possibility for this as well. OBC, if you've been a coach that long, then you know that there are some players you have on your team that make you scratch your head - they are awesome in practice, dazzle everyone, but when the lights go on and people are paying to watch them play, they don't produce. Maybe dj is like this? maybe the reason he is playing all those positions isn't because they need him on the field (like you'd see in high school with the best athlete playing off, def, sp teams) but because they are searching for a position where he actually produces. Obviously the coaches are seeing something in practices that we as fans aren't privy to, but he clearly isn't producing in games and like I said, its a head scratcher because as a coach, you expect practice to translate to games, but it doesn't always work that way.Now if this ain't HATING, What is Hating???????????????????????????????????????????
Now this guy had to really think of another reason why DJ is playing all those positions. And what he came up with, was just plan old hating. Something negative. Where i'm from ,we call this hating

LOVE DJ OR HATE DJ. YOU CAN'T DO BOTH.
Then there is this other guy,Gabe. He's the big Bison fan, season ticket holder for the last 25yrs; talking about you can't play all those positions with out getting hurt. Then he talks about a kid being undersized and can't play
some of those positions. Then, he talks about not put your playmakers in a position to get injured What ever DJ is showing the NDSU staff in practice, must be the right thing; it's getting him on the field.
If DJ is so slow, why is he returning punts and kick-offs? Why does DJ play RB or slot, PR, KR, punt team, kick-off team in the 1st qt ,when the time on the clock means something. Why does the NDSU staff trust DJ so much?
Skills Maybe it's time to upgrade that 12" screen.

Later haters

Scooter1
11-13-2008, 04:14 AM
Once again...

I see DJ having a HUGE upside. I hope we get to see it before next year.

AEBison1998
11-13-2008, 04:18 AM
This is the strangest string I have read for quite a while. There are pages and pages of people who agree that are trying very hard to disagree.

What everyone agrees on:
DJ is young
DJ has ability
DJ is playing a lot of positions
DJ hasn't had big numbers in games thus far in his career
We want DJ to be great
We want the Bison to be great

What people disagree on:
DJ will one day have big numbers or DJ one day will not.

This arguement could be had for any freshman on the team. It is strange that this seems to be such a controversial subject. We are in the fortunate position of being able to wait and see. I look forward to it. It will be fun to watch how things develop. Good luck to you DJ.

HerdBot
11-13-2008, 05:49 AM
Now if this ain't HATING, What is Hating???????????????????????????????????????????
Now this guy had to really think of another reason why DJ is playing all those positions. And what he came up with, was just plan old hating. Something negative. Where i'm from ,we call this hating

Then there is this other guy,Gabe. He's the big Bison fan, season ticket holder for the last 25yrs; talking about you can't play all those positions with out getting hurt. Then he talks about a kid being undersized and can't play
some of those positions. Then, he talks about not put your playmakers in a position to get injured What ever DJ is showing the NDSU staff in practice, must be the right thing; it's getting him on the field.
If DJ is so slow, why is he returning punts and kick-offs? Why does DJ play RB or slot, PR, KR, punt team, kick-off team in the 1st qt ,when the time on the clock means something. Why does the NDSU staff trust DJ so much?

Later haters

What game are you referring to that he played RB/WR/SLOT/KR/PR/and covered kickoffs and punts in the first quarter?

Hammersmith
11-13-2008, 03:06 PM
This is the strangest string I have read for quite a while. There are pages and pages of people who agree that are trying very hard to disagree.

What everyone agrees on:
DJ is young
DJ has ability
DJ is playing a lot of positions
DJ hasn't had big numbers in games thus far in his career
We want DJ to be great
We want the Bison to be great

What people disagree on:
DJ will one day have big numbers or DJ one day will not.
This argument could be had for any freshman on the team. It is strange that this seems to be such a controversial subject. We are in the fortunate position of being able to wait and see. I look forward to it. It will be fun to watch how things develop. Good luck to you DJ.

What more funny for me is that the bolded section isn't even true. It should be written:

What people disagree on:
DJ may one day have big numbers or DJ will one day have big numbers.

Also, some can't tell the difference between honest criticism and "hating"(whatever the hell that means). I've got to lean toward gabe; I hope DJ will be great, but I haven't seen it yet. He's great breaking moves in the open field, but he can't seem to get to the open field. I also have to agree with gabe in that any frustration about the situation is not about DJ(he's a redshirt freshman, there's plenty of time left for him to show his stuff), it's about a couple of agents/fans who are trying to shove him down our throats as if he were the reincarnation of Walter Payton, Emmet Smith and Barry Sanders combined. Instead of telling us how he will be the greatest young man ever to don the Bison uniform, just let him show us. If there's been any "hating" on this board, it's been against Mertens and Bibeau; upperclassmen who were supposed to perform, but haven't.

Hansel
11-13-2008, 06:48 PM
I also have to agree with gabe in that any frustration about the situation is not about DJ(he's a redshirt freshman, there's plenty of time left for him to show his stuff), it's about a couple of agents/fans who are trying to shove him down our throats as if he were the reincarnation of Walter Payton, Emmet Smith and Barry Sanders combined. Instead of telling us how he will be the greatest young man ever to don the Bison uniform, just let him show us.

Totally agree, we were already told he was "too good" to redshirt and now we are being told he is a Payton candidate. Just let him show us on the field- we are all rooting for him :)

rutlandbison
11-13-2008, 07:14 PM
3.3 yards per carry. Take out his longest run and it drops to 2.18 ypc.

Voight went 10 for 82 yards or 8.2 ypc. Take out his longest and he still averages 6.
Thank you for pointing that out

99Bison
11-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Thank you for pointing that out

Another thing to point out.
Most of DJ carries have been earlier in games than voigt.

And... don't think we have seen enough carries from either of the two to make any real judgements yet.

RunDMc34
11-14-2008, 12:42 AM
are you kidding me now i know im a big dj fan but seriously are we comparing guys whose sample size of carries is like 25-30 Thats about 1 game for a good rb like Roehl. Its far too small to even tell. I think both have the potential to be good players I like the effort voit gives, and I like the upside DJ has.

MHDBisonfan
11-14-2008, 01:56 AM
Now if this ain't HATING, What is Hating???????????????????????????????????????????

Later haters

Wow, are you his dad or his uncle? How can it be called "hating"? I pointed out that maybe the coaches are trying to figure out where he can best be utilized and produce and thats "hating"? Good grief, get a reality check. He is NOT producing. How is that "hating"? Look at the stats, I'm not making them up. I can love or hate dj but not both? Again, wow. How about I do neither - there is no love or hate. I'm a Bison fan and I hope every Bison perfoms well. Pointing out that he's not doing well doesn't mean I hate. Pointing out that Steve Walker performed well doesn't mean i love. Get a grip "coach".

HerdBot
11-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Wow, are you his dad or his uncle? How can it be called "hating"? I pointed out that maybe the coaches are trying to figure out where he can best be utilized and produce and thats "hating"? Good grief, get a reality check. He is NOT producing. How is that "hating"? Look at the stats, I'm not making them up. I can love or hate dj but not both? Again, wow. How about I do neither - there is no love or hate. I'm a Bison fan and I hope every Bison perfoms well. Pointing out that he's not doing well doesn't mean I hate. Pointing out that Steve Walker performed well doesn't mean i love. Get a grip "coach".

I hear you man. I think he's pissed because we actually know what we're talking about and we're not buying into all the hype. Notice how he never answers any of the questions and doesn't even read what we write because his replies don't make any sense. He's so mad he's resorted to calling us haters. I love the team and anyone who plays on the team I hope they do well.

rutlandbison
11-14-2008, 08:52 PM
No he's the ol' ball coach Steve Spurier.

Fightin' Bison
11-14-2008, 10:10 PM
How much longer do we all have to bow down and acknowledge how great this player is going to be? Usually, you wait until somebody actually proves they belong. I hope he gets there, but can we please stop being lectured about how great he was in HS, how great he will be, how much upside (hate that word) he has, how fast he is, what great moves he has, etc. If most of that were true, he would be starting and have over 1k in rushing right now. Truth is, he and everybody else on this team needs to put in a lot more work before anyone goes around proclaiming any greatness or potential for greatness. As of right now, these guys are living on past glory, or the hope of future glory. As of right now, the stats don't lie for him or anybody else.:banghead:

MHDBisonfan
11-14-2008, 10:27 PM
How much longer do we all have to bow down and acknowledge how great this player is going to be? Usually, you wait until somebody actually proves they belong. I hope he gets there, but can we please stop being lectured about how great he was in HS, how great he will be, how much upside (hate that word) he has, how fast he is, what great moves he has, etc. If most of that were true, he would be starting and have over 1k in rushing right now. Truth is, he and everybody else on this team needs to put in a lot more work before anyone goes around proclaiming any greatness or potential for greatness. As of right now, these guys are living on past glory, or the hope of future glory. As of right now, the stats don't lie for him or anybody else.:banghead:

amen brother! :nod:

Scooter1
11-14-2008, 11:33 PM
DJ McNorton...
Coulter Boyer...
Garrett Johnson...
Eddie Beson...
Austin Richard...
Matt Veldman...

UPSIDE, UPSIDE, UPSIDE!!!!

And I think to myself...what a beautiful word.

How long to we have to bow down and agree with those who continue to bash players that don't perform right out of the blocks their freshman year? Have a little faith, Brother.

I almost forgot....amen.

4mcruenomore
11-15-2008, 02:03 AM
I'm starting to wonder if Ol Ball coach is DJ himself, dad, brother, uncle, girlfriend, etc....(Agent comes to mind) I prefer to make my own opinion of a player, prove it on the field. I wish him well and hope he is as good as proclaimed, but haven't seen jack yet IMO.

Fightin' Bison
11-15-2008, 02:26 AM
DJ McNorton...
Coulter Boyer...
Garrett Johnson...
Eddie Beson...
Austin Richard...
Matt Veldman...

UPSIDE, UPSIDE, UPSIDE!!!!

And I think to myself...what a beautiful word.

How long to we have to bow down and agree with those who continue to bash players that don't perform right out of the blocks their freshman year? Have a little faith, Brother.

I almost forgot....amen.

Where I come from, waiting for players to produce before bragging about "upside" isn't bashing, it's reality.

Where I come from, you should keep your mouth shut, work hard, and success will follow. There will be no need to tell everyone about your "upside" because we will all see it and compliment you for it.

Scooter1
11-15-2008, 02:36 AM
Where I come from, waiting for players to produce before bragging about "upside" isn't bashing, it's reality.

Where I come from, you should keep your mouth shut, work hard, and success will follow. There will be no need to tell everyone about your "upside" because we will all see it and compliment you for it.

Seems to me from what I have heard from coaches is that he is working hard and keeping his mouth shut. Oh...you mean people that don't agree with you should keep their mouth shut. Got it.

You forget this is a discussion board...specualation about upcomming games and young players is half the fun.

Amen, Brother Bison.

Scooter1
11-15-2008, 02:52 AM
I'm starting to wonder if Ol Ball coach is DJ himself, dad, brother, uncle, girlfriend, etc....(Agent comes to mind) I prefer to make my own opinion of a player, prove it on the field. I wish him well and hope he is as good as proclaimed, but haven't seen jack yet IMO.

I like the kid...OK...I admit it...I'm actually DJ McNorton. (I mean Spartacus)

You are right..I thought we would see more from this kid.

MHDBisonfan
11-15-2008, 03:04 AM
Ha ha, its turning into a church service around here!! I know, I know, I started it :p

I honestly don't have anything against any of the Bison players - including DJ. I'm sure they're all working as hard as they can in practice and showing the coaches what they have. What I don't understand is why pointing out when a guy isn't perfoming on the field - which isn't subjective by the way - is "bashing" him or "hating" on him. I'm more pro-voit than anti-dj. I think the biggest problem we all seem to be having is that some of the posters on this board - not DJ himself (from everything I've heard about the kid, he's nothing but a great kid) - proclaimed him to be the best player ever to wear a Bison uniform and most of us don't like that. I've been watching Bison football since the mid 80's when I was a student here, and I'm sure many of you on here have been watching for longer than that and I think we've all seen some amazing talent walk on the field wearing the green and gold. As has been said numerous times on here - wait on the acolades until it is proven on the field of play. It's clear he has potential and as I said in an earlier post (and got ripped for saying it by the way) maybe the coaches are trying him in different positions because they see that potential and are trying to find a place on the field where he can become productive.

OK, fellow Bison fans - carry on with the "amen" -ing! Ha ha :D

CaBisonFan
11-15-2008, 03:22 AM
http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/9031/firststrikeoa3ugdp8.gif

4mcruenomore
11-15-2008, 03:50 AM
Well DJ better pack his lunch if he's the best ever, maybe his Dad better brush up on the stats:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/4mcrue/bentrim_small3.jpg
64 TD's rushing career ( 23 for 1 year)
6,345 total offense yards
386 points scored

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/4mcrue/chris_simdorn.jpg

3,313 (590 attempts) yards rushing
Average this OLD BALL COACH.
(I don't care who has more, he is the guy to beat)

I'm SICK of this thread, quit being a baby and prove it on the field or move on. This is a football team with tradition, I don't care how many HS youtube videos you have.

HerdBot
11-15-2008, 05:16 AM
Well DJ better pack his lunch if he's the best ever, maybe his Dad better brush up on the stats:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/4mcrue/bentrim_small3.jpg
64 TD's rushing career ( 23 for 1 year)
6,345 total offense yards
386 points scored

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/4mcrue/chris_simdorn.jpg

3,313 (590 attempts) yards rushing
Average this OLD BALL COACH.
(I don't care who has more, he is the guy to beat)

I'm SICK of this thread, quit being a baby and prove it on the field or move on. This is a football team with tradition, I don't care how many HS youtube videos you have.

Tony Satter - 9 yards per carry in 1988. Still an NCC record to this day.

rutlandbison
11-15-2008, 01:55 PM
We can sit here and talk all we want. I tried to stay outa this thread because its stupid. We say everybody who comes in has "upside"(I'm not a big fan of the word either). Let him prove it. Do you know who Xavier Lee is? Top ranked dual threat QB coming out of high school in like 2003 or 04, went to Florida State and never capultalized on his "upside". Tried getting drafted as a junior never made and didnt even finish school. We should stop fillin his head full of this "upside" stuff and stop telling him he's going to be a stud and just let him focus on football and let him try and go prove it.

HerdBot
11-15-2008, 07:01 PM
We can sit here and talk all we want. I tried to stay outa this thread because its stupid. We say everybody who comes in has "upside"(I'm not a big fan of the word either). Let him prove it. Do you know who Xavier Lee is? Top ranked dual threat QB coming out of high school in like 2003 or 04, went to Florida State and never capultalized on his "upside". Tried getting drafted as a junior never made and didnt even finish school. We should stop fillin his head full of this "upside" stuff and stop telling him he's going to be a stud and just let him focus on football and let him try and go prove it.

He can start by not fumbling the opening kickoff and giving life to a team we should be destroying.

rutlandbison
11-15-2008, 07:08 PM
He can start by not fumbling the opening kickoff and giving life to a team we should be destroying.
that would be good

Hart
11-15-2008, 09:14 PM

Uh oh. You mentioned the "X" word. Xavier Lee makes any Seminole fan want to hurt themselves. Myself included. That kid sucked balls.

HerdBot
11-15-2008, 11:36 PM
that would be good

And Voightlander can stop making big plays. 2 touches and he ripped one for 36 yards. This guy is good I'm tellin' ya. Even Roehl mentioned his name a few times.

Mr. Burgundy
11-15-2008, 11:40 PM
To all newcomers....Gabe loves Voit. I just wanted to save people some time.

HerdBot
11-16-2008, 12:21 AM
To all newcomers....Gabe loves Voit. I just wanted to save people some time.

Not sure if you missed it but you misquoted me above. You thought I said " I question his ability" when i really said "I DON'T question his ability." You never replied so I thought I'd point it out.

BisonNolesFan77
11-16-2008, 02:04 AM

Oh no...you just brought up Lee (See Noles in my handle)...the kid was bonehead, period, he is still playing today, some town team out on the east coast. There are tons and tons of kids who come out of high school with "upside", he's got to prove it...and to this point, D.J. hasent proved much of anything.

rutlandbison
11-16-2008, 02:35 AM
Oh no...you just brought up Lee (See Noles in my handle)...the kid was bonehead, period, he is still playing today, some town team out on the east coast. There are tons and tons of kids who come out of high school with "upside", he's got to prove it...and to this point, D.J. hasent proved much of anything.
Sorry to hit all the Noles fans with that but i had to try to make a point out of it. And Gabe i agree with you about voit, AWSOME PLAYER!!

lakesbison
12-29-2008, 04:00 PM
LOOK for a Pat Paschall / DJ split back formation next year with mertens having options with both of them in the flat's!!

yes GABE, voit will be worked in the rotation as well..

but honestly, with PP & DJ both hittin the flats, my oh my, get them 2 in the open field and watch out!!

aces1180
12-29-2008, 05:13 PM
LOOK for a Pat Paschall / DJ split back formation next year with mertens having options with both of them in the flat's!!

but honestly, with PP & DJ both hittin the flats, my oh my, get them 2 in the open field and watch out!!

I like DJ as a flanker. Then they can use him as a decoy with end-around play action and what not. But you are right, lots of options with them in the backfield together.

SDbison
12-29-2008, 05:49 PM

Lakes, are the coaches consulting with you again? I say changing the offense just to get 5% more out of Mertens is a mistake. My guess is the coaches will be looking for a better QB to run their offense and Mertens will likely not be it. Too many of you here play fantasy football and think just because your fantasy team(s) do well you are qualified to be a coach. The reality is you have no quaifications as a coach and your fantasy experience is just that......a fantasy. Bye now.

TransAmBison
12-29-2008, 05:54 PM

I love it. Lakes is posting as if he has some inside information as to how the offense will be run. Classic!

lakesbison
12-29-2008, 06:27 PM
thanks T.A.B. I had a lil meeting with some peop's....

sdbison=== love ya man, but mertens will perform better in this situation, and have more options, as well as the ability to roll out on most every play.

BisoninNWMN
12-29-2008, 11:55 PM

DJ didn't impress me at all this year.....granted he was a RFR but Voigt is a better back than DJ. DJ "danced" around too much and missed blocks. He will probably be better this coming year but we'll see how the depth chart shakes out next fall. IMO, PP and Voigt will be the top 2 backs.

rutlandbison
12-30-2008, 02:21 AM
Why did this thread get brought up again. We have been here before.

Bisonguy
12-30-2008, 03:16 AM
DJ didn't impress me at all this year.....granted he was a RFR but Voigt is a better back than DJ. DJ "danced" around too much and missed blocks. He will probably be better this coming year but we'll see how the depth chart shakes out next fall. IMO, PP and Voigt will be the top 2 backs.

Voit had more issues with pass protection than DJ did- also one of the reasons why DJ saw more game reps.

Flintstone
12-30-2008, 12:44 PM
Voit had more issues with pass protection than DJ did- also one of the reasons why DJ saw more game reps.

You sure about that? Another poster on this site was told by Tyler Roehl that he would trust Voit more than himself on a blitz pickup.

bisonhusker
12-30-2008, 02:05 PM
Voit was praised by Bohl for his pass protection after the Wyoming game on his radio show. Stating that he will get more time based on his ability to protect the QB.

SDbison
12-30-2008, 02:53 PM
Voit was praised by Bohl for his pass protection after the Wyoming game on his radio show. Stating that he will get more time based on his ability to protect the QB.
Don't bring up that game bisonhusker. Bohl made a big mistake not giving Voit some carries in that game. I believe Voit only had one touch and that was a short pass that he turned into something close to a 20 yard gain.

CaBisonFan
12-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Why did this thread get brought up again. We have been here before.

Because someone wanted to bring it up again.

rutlandbison
12-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Because someone wanted to bring it up again.
Everything that is being said has been said at some point though.

CaBisonFan
12-30-2008, 04:29 PM
Everything that is being said has been said at some point though.

So wat. Its good two have discusions with 1 or 2 sentence.

Bisonguy
12-30-2008, 04:52 PM
You sure about that? Another poster on this site was told by Tyler Roehl that he would trust Voit more than himself on a blitz pickup.

Bohl mentioned it later in the season on PTS when someone called in wondering why Voit didn't get more playing time over DJ.

rutlandbison
12-30-2008, 06:12 PM
So wHat. Its good to have discusions with 1 or 2 sentence.
Ok so heres my take. DJ does to much shake and bake in the back field before he hits the whole. Voit just hits the hole. I dont know why we are talking about pass blocking and Voit in a thread that says DJ is not moving to WR. It looked to me as though Voit was the better pass blocker than DJ. Dont ask me why, i just do. I think that mertens will be better in 09 than he was last season. What this has to do with DJ moving to WR i dont know. But then again I dont understand what Voit pass blocking has to do with it either.

56BISON73
12-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Don't bring up that game bisonhusker. Bohl made a big mistake not giving Voit some carries in that game. I believe Voit only had one touch and that was a short pass that he turned into something close to a 20 yard gain.

SD
Thats another thing that concerned me about Bohl was him pigeon holing a player into a certain type of player and not actually using him in an effective way. EX Tyler Jangula. The guy gets a touch and hes a beast. But they used him mainly for blocking. Made no sense to me. PL

CaBisonFan
12-30-2008, 08:00 PM
Ok so heres my take. DJ does to much shake and bake in the back field before he hits the whole. Voit just hits the hole. I dont know why we are talking about pass blocking and Voit in a thread that says DJ is not moving to WR. It looked to me as though Voit was the better pass blocker than DJ. Dont ask me why, i just do. I think that mertens will be better in 09 than he was last season. What this has to do with DJ moving to WR i dont know. But then again I dont understand what Voit pass blocking has to do with it either.

I totaly agree.

RunDMc34
12-30-2008, 08:09 PM
Ok so heres my take. DJ does to much shake and bake in the back field before he hits the whole. Voit just hits the hole.

Maybe at the beginning of the year yes, but if we go by the last game DJ looked very good and hit the hole hard with a burst, he actually was a trip up away from breaking off a big gain on the last run he got out of the motion set that we used him in. I am very excited to see what we do with him next season I think that he and Veldmen are X factors that if you use them correctly could pick up a bunch of the offense you will miss from people like Heck.

rutlandbison
12-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Maybe at the beginning of the year yes, but if we go by the last game DJ looked very good and hit the hole hard with a burst, he actually was a trip up away from breaking off a big gain on the last run he got out of the motion set that we used him in. I am very excited to see what we do with him next season I think that he and Veldmen are X factors that if you use them correctly could pick up a bunch of the offense you will miss from people like Heck.

Are you DJ McNorton???????????????

BisoninNWMN
12-31-2008, 12:28 PM
Are you DJ McNorton???????????????

Just like I am Mertens....right Rutland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing wrong with bringing up this again.....DJ could be a special player but who knows. IMO, I believe Voigt is a better RB right now....but that could change by next year. PP, Voigt, DJ could be a potent triple threat!

OldBison
12-31-2008, 04:01 PM
DJ and Voit are both going to be very good. With Pat and Blincoe back the best thing about this foursome is the depth they bring at RB, which is badly needed at this position and all others. Horner could be the dark horse here.

Bottom line, I wish NDSU had this kind of talent and depth at WR.

rutlandbison
12-31-2008, 04:31 PM
Just like I am Mertens....right Rutland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing wrong with bringing up this again.....DJ could be a special player but who knows. IMO, I believe Voigt is a better RB right now....but that could change by next year. PP, Voigt, DJ could be a potent triple threat!

Yeah, sorry about that. I have accepted the fact that Mertens will start and hopefully lead us to good things in the future.

BisoninNWMN
01-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Yeah, sorry about that. I have accepted the fact that Mertens will start and hopefully lead us to good things in the future.

No problem.

I hope Coach Bohl plays the best players at their position....which he will.

We're all "itchin" for a playoff game......damn...when's kick-off at Ames!!:p

GO BISON

RunDMc34
01-02-2009, 03:33 AM

I see how it works rutland if you dont like a player anyone who does must be that person thats about the only conclusion i can come to. And since I said I think Veldman is an X factor next season I must not only be DJ but Im also Matt Veldman wow im more damn amazing then even i knew!

rutlandbison
01-02-2009, 04:27 AM
I see how it works rutland if you dont like a player anyone who does must be that person thats about the only conclusion i can come to. And since I said I think Veldman is an X factor next season I must not only be DJ but Im also Matt Veldman wow im more damn amazing then even i knew!

No, i never said he was Nick mertens. People were just saying he was related to Mertens. i got no beef with DJ, im sure he will improve with the shake and bake thing and did. Do you honestly believe for 1 second that i thought you were DJ McNorton??? SERIOUSLY??? Matt Veldman will be good, also if you would look at my starting lineup i made, I had Veldman as our starting TE. Wow you really went off didnt you. Good job.