PDA

View Full Version : A new home

MAKBison
11-05-2008, 03:53 PM
(Sorry if this already has a thread)

The BBF looks great and the improvements are a nice start, but.....

Is there any talk about getting the Girls a proper place to play? I have been to several games and would love to see and think a 3000K seat venue with backed seats would be appropriate….is this a pipe dream or are there plans for the future?

roadwarrior
11-05-2008, 03:55 PM
There is talk about all new seating in the BBF.

99Bison
11-05-2008, 04:53 PM
The BBF will be the home of Bison VB for a long time...

Bisonguy
11-05-2008, 05:08 PM
New seating will go a long way towards making BBF a very nice VB venue IMO.

imabison
11-05-2008, 05:16 PM
(Sorry if this already has a thread)

The BBF looks great and the improvements are a nice start, but.....

Is there any talk about getting the Girls a proper place to play? I have been to several games and would love to see and think a 3000K seat venue with backed seats would be appropriate….is this a pipe dream or are there plans for the future?
Just curious where you see the need for 3000 seats. The record attendance is 1478, and matches are not yet selling out for SRO. I just do not see the need at this time.

Improved seating will be very nice.

99Bison
11-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Just curious where you see the need for 3000 seats. The record attendance is 1478, and matches are not yet selling out for SRO. I just do not see the need at this time.

Actually the bbf/home record is:
2,259 Minn. State Moorhead 11/5/1986

However, no idea where 3k is proper comes from either... It's probably already the nicest arena in the league, and among other conferences too.

imabison
11-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Actually the bbf/home record is:
2,259 Minn. State Moorhead 11/5/1986

However, no idea where 3k is proper comes from either... It's probably already the nicest arena in the league, and among other conferences too.
Not to disagree, I just used the FOOLUM number from todays article.

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/220843

They state current record set in 1988.. Shoot the messenger :)

99Bison
11-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Not to disagree, I just used the FOOLUM number from todays article.

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/220843

They state current record set in 1988.. Shoot the messenger :)

Apparently the foolum didn't use the information sent to them from media relations on monday. I wonder though if there was a different seating configuration or something, seems like alot more than would fit... maybe not with standing room I guess. :D

Here's the public version.
http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11874&SPID=696&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=1617381

And the associated sniplet:
----
HOME ATTENDANCE: North Dakota State has the best volleyball attendance in The Summit League with an average of 924 fans over nine dates, including a streak of four straight matches over a thousand. That includes back-to-back nights for only the third time in school history when the Bison drew 1,052 against IUPUI and 1,335 against Western Illinois.

The Bentson Bunker Fieldhouse has held 24 crowds over a thousand including a school record 2,259 for the Minnesota State Moorhead match in November 1986. NDSU also drew a crowd of 1,547 to see defending national champion Washington play at the Bison Sports Arena in September 2005. That remains the second highest single-match attendance in school history. Here are the top 10 NDSU crowds:

Attendance
Opponent
Date

Minn. State Moorhead
11/5/1986

1,547 (BSA)
Washington
9/9/2005

St. Cloud State
12/2/1988

St. Cloud State
11/2/1996

Western Illinois
10/11/2008

Northern State
8/30/2000

UMKC
10/17/2008

North Dakota
10/18/2003

South Dakota State
9/27/2008

North Dakota
11/12/2002
----

roadwarrior
11-05-2008, 08:52 PM
We have to keep in mind who was coming up with attendance numbers in the 80s. Remember the 19,000 fans at Dacotah Field? Need I say more?

MAKBison
11-05-2008, 09:56 PM

To be honest I just made up the number, but I think I can justify it for a few reasons. First and foremost is that the SU attendance is growing by leaps and bounds each year and I do not see that slowing down…..I believe I heard that JC was warning the administration to start preparing for 15k. Second, A new arena with a few amenities is usually good for an attendance bump…people like nice places. Third, I see the quality of VB reaming very competitive…add a few conference championships and another bump. Currently, I think if there was a marketing plan (besides news paper articles and a few radio promotions) currently working towards increasing exposure, attendance would be up even more now. The everyday forum articles are generating interest , just think if there were actual TV time with the ladies.

BTW….I feel the same about T&F and SB…everyone knows the FB BB expectations….no one knows we are even champions in the other two. F-M is a hub of sports lovers and they will support more than FB and BB if you educate them! SU has great athletes!

NDSUstudent
11-05-2008, 11:05 PM
I think the BBF is a great home for Bison volleyball, and I don't know what the deal is with the record attendance, Hinterstocker did say that it was around 1500 in his press conference this week.

MAKBison
11-06-2008, 12:06 AM
I think the BBF is a great home for Bison volleyball, and I don't know what the deal is with the record attendance, Hinterstocker did say that it was around 1500 in his press conference this week.

It is better than before, but it is no way near great!

Hammersmith
11-10-2008, 01:02 AM
First off, I have no real problem with the BBF as the long-term home for Bison VB as long as continued improvements are made, but...

Do those of you in-the-know(road, greenie, B1SON, etc.) know if moving VB into the BSA was considered during the planning stages for the BSA renovation? If the FD arena is built, and the basketball addition is included in the BSA renovation, wouldn't that create space for volleyball? Indoor T&F is a winter sport and begins as volleyball is wrapping up. To my knowledge, doesn't wrestling spend the vast majority of their practices in their 2nd floor special-purpose room? With the addition of some extra space to allow for the construction of another locker room/office group, I would think the BSA could handle volleyball without detriment to the other BSA sports. Of course, I'm talking out of my rear end here, so any/all of this could be wrong.

In principle, I like to keep student-athletes and coaches together in a single complex. I believe that splitting them up to different parts of campus can promote an "us vs. them" attitude. I know there was no other option, but I wish the football program could've stayed in the BSA area rather than move to the Fargodome. If the funding for the BSA renovation would've been available prior to the move, I wonder if the renovation would've included additional space for the football team. I'm also a bit worried that the proposed structure next to the softball field will include space for the baseball & softball programs, moving them out of the BSA. That would further fragment the department in my (uninformed)opinion.

roadwarrior
11-10-2008, 01:58 AM
Football offices were originally going to be in the BSA project.

Another option for volleyball would be in the Fargodome arena.

NDSUstudent
11-10-2008, 03:11 AM
I think the atmosphere would take a big hit if you moved volleyball into a 5-6k seat arena.

roadwarrior
11-10-2008, 03:48 AM
With new seats, the BBF will be much improved. I know coach Hinterstocker enjoys the home of NDSU volleyball.

MAKBison
11-11-2008, 02:09 AM
With new seats, the BBF will be much improved. I know coach Hinterstocker enjoys the home of NDSU volleyball.

What is the story with the new seats... Are the backed seats, how many seats, etc.

MAKBison
11-11-2008, 02:11 AM
I think the atmosphere would take a big hit if you moved volleyball into a 5-6k seat arena.

I think a 3k would be perfect!

duluthbison
11-13-2008, 02:27 AM
I think that in the case that NDSU were to host some playoff games, they could utilize the BSA (or the new basketball arena:hide:) but I absolutely love the BBFH. It is by far the coolest arena to play in and volleyball needs to stay in there!

Jdubs21
11-16-2008, 02:46 PM
All i know is if our girls keep this up were gonna need a much much bigger facility

imabison
11-16-2008, 07:38 PM
All i know is if our girls keep this up were gonna need a much much bigger facility
I think that under the current bleachers the BBF has seating for just over 2002 with no one sitting in whats considered the aisle, plus the band, plus both teams I figure thats around 2200.

Thats 11 seats per row as numbered, 15 rows on one side 12 rows on the other side. Side with 12 rows had 7 sections, side with 15 rows has 6 full secions and 1 section with 8 rows. That equals the 2002.

Not sure if new seating would increase of decrease number of seats available.

TheDoctor
11-20-2008, 06:17 AM
New bleachers will be coming soon. Thats all I know. ;)

DORMIE
11-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Was with Lynn Dorn last night at the Gopher game and I asker her about the new seats. Said that they would be a sculptured back type seat without arm rests(need the room). She thought there would be 1802 seats.

imabison
11-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Was with Lynn Dorn last night at the Gopher game and I asker her about the new seats. Said that they would be a sculptured back type seat without arm rests(need the room). She thought there would be 1802 seats.
Good information. Thanks

TheDoctor
11-20-2008, 02:47 PM

DORMIE is the man, flying to the Goofer game in style.

DORMIE
11-20-2008, 04:06 PM
In the style to which I am accustomed, brother!!

TheBisonator
11-20-2008, 08:46 PM

That's awesome to know. Also the exact number of seats!!:)

roadwarrior
11-24-2008, 12:08 AM
I'd be willing to bet those new seats are in the BBF before next season! They have earned the upgrades. New seats = more tickets sold. The current seating is just about the most uncomfortable that you could possibly find.

imabison
11-24-2008, 12:54 AM
I'd be willing to bet those new seats are in the BBF before next season! They have earned the upgrades. New seats = more tickets sold. The current seating is just about the most uncomfortable that you could possibly find.
Just as uncomfortable as the BSA bleachers. Hopefully they can make it happen.

MAKBison
11-27-2008, 05:20 AM

I actually heard there was no Funds for them. I thought I heard it was a 200K price tag. If so, we need a sponsor to step up and write a big time check.