PDA

View Full Version : NDSU Proposes New Apartments

Go_Herd
11-04-2008, 03:42 PM
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=220695&section=news&CFID=113130561&CFTOKEN=42317638&jsessionid=883089b4444627392766

North Dakota State University is proposing a $20 million campus apartment project that would alleviate a housing shortage. NDSU wants to build four new apartment buildings that would accommodate up to 800 students. The buildings, which would encompass 200,000 square feet, would be part of University Village along North University Drive.

NDSU will go to the state Board of Higher Education on Thursday to get permission to move forward with the project.

The request will then need approval from the Legislature. Janna Stoskopf, NDSU’s dean of student services, said the proposal will help the university’s housing shortage. This fall, with a record enrollment of 12,229 students, NDSU had more than 400 freshmen living in nine hotels.

The new apartment buildings, geared for upperclassmen, would free up space for freshmen in NDSU’s traditional residence halls, Stoskopf said. The earliest the new buildings could open is fall 2010 if NDSU gets approval for the project, she said......READ MORE!!

Sounds like a great idea to me....It's amazing how much NDSU has changed in my 5 years here. The grow has just be non-stop.

tony
11-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Hehe, it's a bargain! I mean, there are $20 million 4-bedroom apartments in Manhattan after all. :)

Anyway, I wonder how many units they are talking about? 200 x 1000 sq ft?

Any new housing is good housing in my book!

Herd Mentality
11-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Living in UV doesn't count towards the requirement of living on campus, correct? If that is the case, they either need to build a new residence hall and NOT this, or build this and remove the requirement.

sambini
11-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Any new housing will help.+++

BisBison
11-04-2008, 05:59 PM
Living in UV doesn't count towards the requirement of living on campus, correct? If that is the case, they either need to build a new residence hall and NOT this, or build this and remove the requirement.

I was thinking the same thing, but if they move upper classmen out of the dorms into this that would open the dorms up to freshmen.

duluthbison
11-04-2008, 07:06 PM

They just want more room for incoming freshman, since they all are required to live on campus for their first year. I could actually see them turning one of the high rises or stockbridge into another First Year Experience Dorm where just freshman live.

This would be a nice addition to Bison Court, Niskanen, LLC, UV

BisBison
11-04-2008, 11:11 PM
They just want more room for incoming freshman, since they all are required to live on campus for their first year. I could actually see them turning one of the high rises or stockbridge into another First Year Experience Dorm where just freshman live.

This would be a nice addition to Bison Court, Niskanen, LLC, UV

Actually you are correct, the high rises are going to be mostly freshmen.

SDbison
11-05-2008, 03:50 AM
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=220695&section=news&CFID=113130561&CFTOKEN=42317638&jsessionid=883089b4444627392766

North Dakota State University is proposing a $20 million campus apartment project that would alleviate a housing shortage. NDSU wants to build four new apartment buildings that would accommodate up to 800 students. The buildings, which would encompass 200,000 square feet, would be part of University Village along North University Drive.

NDSU will go to the state Board of Higher Education on Thursday to get permission to move forward with the project.

The request will then need approval from the Legislature. Janna Stoskopf, NDSU’s dean of student services, said the proposal will help the university’s housing shortage. This fall, with a record enrollment of 12,229 students, NDSU had more than 400 freshmen living in nine hotels.

The new apartment buildings, geared for upperclassmen, would free up space for freshmen in NDSU’s traditional residence halls, Stoskopf said. The earliest the new buildings could open is fall 2010 if NDSU gets approval for the project, she said......READ MORE!!

Sounds like a great idea to me....It's amazing how much NDSU has changed in my 5 years here. The grow has just be non-stop.

Surprised nobody noticed the error in the article above. I called Amy D., the columnist, and informed her of the mistake. Enrollment was off by 1000 as the article orginally listed 12,329. I suggested she at least correct the online version.....she did and it now says:
"This fall, with a record enrollment of 13,229 students, NDSU had more than 400 freshmen living in nine hotels."

duluthbison
11-05-2008, 05:35 AM
Surprised nobody noticed the error in the article above. I called Amy D., the columnist, and informed her of the mistake. Enrollment was off by 1000 as the article orginally listed 12,329. I suggested she at least correct the online version.....she did and it now says:
"This fall, with a record enrollment of 13,229 students, NDSU had more than 400 freshmen living in nine hotels."

I thought something looked strange...must not have been thinking clearly!!

WestDakotaBison
11-05-2008, 07:55 PM

I thought living in UV did count as living on campus? When I attended america's college, UV was monitored and patrolled just as the high rises were. I had plenty of pals who had beer confiscated and who were given MIP's in the UV by hall staff.

met1990
11-06-2008, 04:21 PM
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=221012
The state Board of Higher Education unanimously agreed to forward NDSU’s request to the Legislature.

Hammersmith
11-07-2008, 02:19 AM
On a side note, the SBoHE also approved the name change of NDSU Downtown(the Northern School Supply building) to Renaissance Hall.

duluthbison
11-10-2008, 11:40 PM
On a side note, the SBoHE also approved the name change of NDSU Downtown(the Northern School Supply building) to Renaissance Hall.

Interesting name change, you would think the school would have stayed with the normal naming convention...sticking with past presidents or influential people within the university.

But I suppose its a fitting name for the Art and Architecture program

GOB1SON
11-11-2008, 12:06 AM
Interesting name change, you would think the school would have stayed with the normal naming convention...sticking with past presidents or influential people within the university.

If you got a million frogskins, I am guessing it could be "NDSUSTUDENT89 Renaissance Hall"!

Got a rich, maiden aunt?

BisBison
11-11-2008, 12:06 AM

Plus we already have a Burgum Hall on campus.

Hammersmith
11-11-2008, 07:45 AM
Plus we already have a Burgum Hall on campus.

Two, actually.

Burgum Hall - Women's dormitory; named in honor of Jessamine Burgum née Slaughter, the first female student at NDSU.

Katherine Kilbourne Burgum Family Life Center - College of Human Development & Education; named in honor of Katherine Burgum, first female dean at NDSU(Home Economics - former name of HD&E).

Jessamine was the mother-in-law of Katherine, who was Doug's mother.

BisBison
11-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Two, actually.

Burgum Hall - Women's dormitory; named in honor of Jessamine Burgum née Slaughter, the first female student at NDSU.

Katherine Kilbourne Burgum Family Life Center - College of Human Development & Education; named in honor of Katherine Burgum, first female dean at NDSU(Home Economics - former name of HD&E).

Jessamine was the mother-in-law of Katherine, who was Doug's mother.

I bow to your superior knowledge of NDSU heritage :bowdown: here's rep for you.

duluthbison
11-11-2008, 07:31 PM
If you got a million frogskins, I am guessing it could be "NDSUSTUDENT89 Renaissance Hall"!

Got a rich, maiden aunt?

Now there's a name worth putting up there!!:nod:

Or how about Lakes' Renaissance Hall

roadwarrior
08-20-2010, 02:26 PM
I have heard that the new Niskanen apartments on campus are 100% occupied this fall.

imabison
08-20-2010, 11:07 PM
I have heard that the new Niskanen apartments on campus are 100% occupied this fall.

I thought I read somewhere that there was a waiting list so they must be full.

KC Bison
08-21-2010, 04:19 AM
I have no idea who Amy D. is. Just curious ... und grad?

Hammersmith
08-21-2010, 08:11 AM

Amy Dalrymple, the NDSU beat writer for several years(as opposed to Jeff Kolpack, who is the Bison athletics beat writer). Amy handles most NDSU and higher ed stories that are not sports related. Also, that post you quoted was from almost two years ago.

Amy also just wrote a new article on the housing situation:

NDSU housing catches up with enrollment (http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/288488/)

Looks like we're good if we don't get another surge in undergraduate enrollment like last year. If we do get another surge, we might be going back to the SBoHE for yet another LLC or Nik complex. Maybe we can finally tear down part of University Village and replace it with something nicer that's got a higher population density.

B. b. bison
08-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Maybe we can finally tear down part of University Village and replace it with something nicer that's got a higher population density.

I really hope that is the next step. Knock 'em down! :p

99Bison
08-21-2010, 05:07 PM

Believe so.

sambini
08-22-2010, 06:39 AM
Is she related to the LT. Gov. Jack?