PDA

View Full Version : Practice Field

roadwarrior
11-02-2008, 05:48 PM
A crew from Pennsylvania was installing the new field turf on Dacotah Field yesterday.

CaBisonFan
11-02-2008, 09:23 PM
A crew from Pennsylvania was installing the new field turf on Dacotah Field yesterday.

Wish they could put a U-Shaped stadium of about 20-25 thousand around it.

sambini
11-02-2008, 11:58 PM
How long will it take Road?

met1990
11-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Are they just putting turf over where the old Dacotah Field turf used to be, or are they putting in practice fields that run north and south? I thought the plan was to eventually put north/south practice fields on Dacotah Field, but I haven't driven by there to see what they've been up to.

roadwarrior
11-03-2008, 06:53 PM
The new turf is moved about 20 yards west of the where the old field was located (because of the future BSA expansion). It runs almost up to the scoreboard on the west end. The field runs east and west.

They are still out there working today. It would be interesting to see how they get the rubber pieces into the plastic grass.

aces1180
11-03-2008, 06:55 PM
I wish the goal posts were still there.

I loved kicking balls off of the old turf and think it would be even better to kick off of the new stuff.

Toe-puncher for life!

duluthbison
11-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Is the football team going to use Dacotah Field as their new practice field or will they still use the old one next to Bison Court?

met1990
11-03-2008, 07:09 PM
The new turf is moved about 20 yards west of the where the old field was located (because of the future BSA expansion). It runs almost up to the scoreboard on the west end. The field runs east and west.

They are still out there working today. It would be interesting to see how they get the rubber pieces into the plastic grass.

THanks Road,

Am I crazy in thinking that at one point they wanted to have three north/south football practice fields on that spot and convert the old grass practice fields to future BSA parking and soccer practice fields? I thought I saw that on a mock-up of the BSA remodeling. Either that or I'm smoking what Hippy Stick is having...

AKBison
11-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Here is the image from last year. It has alwasy perplexed me why they just didn't wait and do it up right?

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc25/futurerancher/BSA.jpg

Here is bisonater's google earth photoshop magic picture.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/SmileyBoy/Dacotah2.jpg

met1990
11-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Thanks AKBison. That was the image I was thinking of.

tony
11-03-2008, 07:50 PM
How long until we get some "new practice turf" pr0n to ogle? Tasteful shots only, of course.

roadwarrior
11-03-2008, 08:39 PM
I have heard that the home soccer games will be played at Dacotah Field. (Lighting and seating is already there.)

The new field turf gives us an all weather practice field. The existing practice area has three fields. Most likely both will be used depending on weather.

roadwarrior
11-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Before it snows?

Hammersmith
11-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Here is the image from last year. It has always perplexed me why they just didn't wait and do it up right?
$$$

Adding a bit to the concrete pad and laying new turf on the existing location will cost around half a million. Gene was also looking into financing the turf cost through the turf company so the money could come out of future FB guarantee games; i.e. Iowa State.(I don't know if the financing happened or if the school paid for the turf up front.) To tear out the pad, rip down the north stands, prep the whole site, and buy two fields worth of turf would've cost at least a couple million. If the BSA renovation and the FD addition weren't breathing down the athletic department's neck, I suspect they might have waited to raise the money. However, the BSA & FD projects are just too important to divert a couple million for practice fields that aren't as needed. The single field "quickie fix" is cheap and, by the time the BSA & FD projects are done, the turf will be nearing the end of its life and need replacing. Then the larger project can be finished.

Quite frankly, I think Gene & co. came up with an elegant solution for the immediate problems. Of course, I'm probably just saying that because I suggested the same solution about a month before NDSU announced the current plan. :nod:

Bison"FANatic"
11-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Before it snows?

I guess Friday then:D :D :D :D ;) ;) ;)

roadwarrior
11-04-2008, 02:52 AM
As I left the basketball game tonight, they were still out there working under the lights. There are 7 semi loads of infill on its way to cover the plastic grass. 75% rubber 25% sand

56BISON73
11-04-2008, 02:54 AM
As I left the basketball game tonight, they were still out there working under the lights. There are 7 semi loads of infill on its way to cover the plastic grass. 75% rubber 25% sand

Road
Please explain to me what infill is and its pupose??? PL

roadwarrior
11-04-2008, 03:03 AM
When a ball bounces on field turf, you can see "dirt" flying. But its really not dirt. They are small pieces of rubber that are laying on top of the field (with the blades of grass standing up through it). It is also the padding for when you fall on it. (It better be, cause they are laying our new grass on top of asphalt!) I guess you'll have to walk on a field and check it out some time yourself.

Maybe you should google a field turf manufacturer for more detailed info than I can provide.

Trim
11-04-2008, 03:23 AM
I've always wondered, is there some sore of device that periodically is used to "re-level" the infill? Like a Zamboni for turf. Or, does the infill splash around from the ball and players in an even manner over the long haul?

56BISON73
11-04-2008, 03:26 AM
When a ball bounces on field turf, you can see "dirt" flying. But its really not dirt. They are small pieces of rubber that are laying on top of the field (with the blades of grass standing up through it). It is also the padding for when you fall on it. (It better be, cause they are laying our new grass on top of asphalt!) I guess you'll have to walk on a field and check it out some time yourself.

Maybe you should google a field turf manufacturer for more detailed info than I can provide.

Thanks road!!!! PL

roadwarrior
11-04-2008, 03:33 AM
I've always wondered, is there some sore of device that periodically is used to "re-level" the infill? Like a Zamboni for turf. Or, does the infill splash around from the ball and players in an even manner over the long haul?

Gene says maintenance is required.

Hammersmith
11-04-2008, 10:28 AM

Every week or two while in use, the field will need to be groomed using a tennis court broom or the like. Once or twice a year, you're also supposed to work it over with a grooming machine to break up the infill. I've seen some machines that use rotating tines and others that use rotating stars. I'm not sure which version(if either) will be recommended for our installation. You also need to spray the field down with a weak solution of either dish soap or fabric softener. That only needs to be done every few years, so it's not that big a deal. It needs to be done because of the electrical properties of the "grass" fibers. Over time, they either gain or lose their charge(I can't remember which) and the rubber granules become attracted to the fibers. The granules then work their way up the fibers causing the field to look dirty.

The grooming is absolutely necessary for the health of the athletes. Without it, the infill becomes so packed that it reaches the same hardness as frozen soil. Impact-wise, it would be far worse than the Fargodome turf.

Also, to elaborate on road's explanation to PL, infill-type turfs like FieldTurf use much longer "grass" fibers than carpet-style turfs like AstroTurf. These fibers can be up to 3 inches in length. After the foundation matrix and the grass are laid in place, sand and rubber granules are poured in to fill the bottom 2+ inches to leave between 0.25 to 1 inch of "grass" above the surface. In the case of FieldTurf, about 7 pounds of sand per square foot is layered in first followed by another 3 pounds of rubber. Each manufacturer has their own infill recipe, so I'm not sure what NDSU is getting(I've never heard it confirmed whether NDSU is buying actual FieldTurf or a FieldTurf-like product).

I got most of my info from this Penn State study done in 2002:
Evaluation of Playing Surface Characteristics of Various In-Filled Systems (http://cropsoil.psu.edu/mcnitt/infill8.cfm)

westnodak93bison
11-04-2008, 12:07 PM
so when are they gonna put the good field turf in the fargodome?

tony
11-04-2008, 01:01 PM
so when are they gonna put the good field turf in the fargodome?

Dunno - I think the only way they could do it is with a tray system, otherwise the place wouldn't be able to slide the bleachers over (although I have to wonder if that would even be necessary if Fargo and NDSU build the addition).

So soccer is playing on it? Man, I hope that somehow helps put an end to the slew of knee injuries.

GOB1SON
11-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Walked by the new practice field today and snapped some pics. Looks very nice.

The last pic is a close up of the turf. Basically long strands of synthetic grass that the infill will be pushed into. I should have taken a shot with my fingers running through it to better demonstrate.

Looks like it will be done soon.

BigDeal
11-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Much improved.

NDSUstudent
11-04-2008, 09:02 PM

The last pic is a close up of the turf. Basically long strands of synthetic grass that the infill will be pushed into. I should have taken a shot with my fingers running through it to better demonstrate.

Nice pics! Rep to you for the effort!

tony
11-04-2008, 09:22 PM

Thanks! Nice pics!

aces1180
11-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Wow!

That's what non-faded artificial turf is supposed to look like? ;)

SUBISON247
11-04-2008, 10:27 PM
It looks nice. Lets build a bowl around it and have our outdoor stadium.

unbison
11-05-2008, 02:28 AM
now that this is done..... are they gonna play 4 quarters........ maybe the better facilities will produce a game where they play all 4

99Bison
11-05-2008, 02:31 AM
Anyone know what happened to the two fields side by side going the opposite direction plan?

roadwarrior
11-05-2008, 02:34 AM
Anyone know what happened to the two fields side by side going the opposite direction plan?

That was discussed earlier in this thread.

99Bison
11-05-2008, 05:38 AM
That was discussed earlier in this thread.

wow ic, this thread went fast apparently.

roadwarrior
04-25-2009, 10:55 PM
The new practice field will be completed by the end of next week (may 1st). They are currently spreading the "in-fill" of sand and rubber and this takes several days to complete. We will soon have a new place to watch spring practices!

North Side
04-26-2009, 12:13 AM
I walked over to the practice field today. Weather conditions were Sunny 55°. You could see heat waves coming off the turf. Must be 15° hotter on the turf. I played on the Coca Cola field in Bismarck (similar turf) and that got pretty hot also. It must be from the black rubber "fill in". That might be a good thing, keep it a little warmer on the field during those cold spring practices.

A1pigskin
04-26-2009, 01:02 AM
Why not practice at one of the high school fields? Get r done.

roadwarrior
04-26-2009, 01:15 AM
They are currently practicing on the grass fields on campus. They are in pretty good shape now that the snow is gone.

A1pigskin
04-26-2009, 02:02 AM
The snow was a problem but it would toughen them up.

roadwarrior
04-28-2009, 12:38 PM
Wednesday's practice will be held on the new grass !

Thunder_Struck
04-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Any photos?

TheBisonator
04-28-2009, 11:28 PM
They were laying down the rubbler infill yesterday when I took a look. My dream is to one day see a metal structure being built around and over it to create an indoor facility.;)

tjbison
04-28-2009, 11:37 PM
They were laying down the rubbler infill yesterday when I took a look. My dream is to one day see a metal structure being built around and over it to create an indoor facility.;)

we already have one of those!!:hide: :hide:

TheBisonator
04-28-2009, 11:50 PM

I'm talking about one that wouldn't be already occupied by a basketball game or the circus.

NDSUFan_Sav
04-30-2009, 02:43 AM

we do????

i checked it out today and practice as well...looked really nice

TILIS-BisonFan
04-30-2009, 06:26 AM
we do????

i checked it out today and practice as well...looked really nice

two page thread on practice field? did i miss the part where we joined the big ten somewhere?

as far as pics... 1. take pic of grass 2. open in mspaint 3.dabble in few black sprinkles and bam..

how did our field look in rain? were our players wearing appropriate cleats? anyone know the drainage so our players dont get hurt practicing in rain?

cvbison1
04-30-2009, 06:42 AM
two page thread on practice field? did i miss the part where we joined the big ten somewhere?

as far as pics... 1. take pic of grass 2. open in mspaint 3.dabble in few black sprinkles and bam..

how did our field look in rain? were our players wearing appropriate cleats? anyone know the drainage so our players dont get hurt practicing in rain?

terrible post:blush:

TILIS-BisonFan
04-30-2009, 06:54 AM
terrible post:blush:

just going with flow of thread

Bison_Pride
04-30-2009, 07:10 AM
This one is from the Fargo Forum.

http://www.inforum.com/media/full/jpg/2009/04/29/xturf.jpg

bisondad
04-30-2009, 02:15 PM
I think this practice field is a HUGE deal for bison football, if they are interested in competing for national championships. You've just guaranteed quality practices in about any weather. Great work, athletic dept and boosters. Now, let's get some of that stuff in the Fargodome!!

WYOBISONMAN
04-30-2009, 02:44 PM
I think the new softer surface will saved wear and tear on our playes as well. This is great!

bisonmike2
04-30-2009, 03:22 PM
I love the quote by Henry in the paper. “Now we’ve got every type of surface for any away game that we can practice on.” This is great. I'm glad the players realize this. But my concern is this. I swear I've heard this before on this board that Bohl's been known to practice indoors before away games late in the season where the field and the conditions for the game will be less desirable. Can anyone back that up?

tony
04-30-2009, 04:51 PM
I love the quote by Henry in the paper. “Now we’ve got every type of surface for any away game that we can practice on.” This is great. I'm glad the players realize this. But my concern is this. I swear I've heard this before on this board that Bohl's been known to practice indoors before away games late in the season where the field and the conditions for the game will be less desirable. Can anyone back that up?

Why that is worrisome? The only time I remember practicing indoors is when the practice fields were covered with snow, but there are other reasons that you might want to stay off real grass late in the season.

NDSUFan_Sav
04-30-2009, 05:02 PM
Why that is worrisome? The only time I remember practicing indoors is when the practice fields were covered with snow, but there are other reasons that you might want to stay off real grass late in the season.

few reasons:
1. so you don't get caught
2. you don't get suspended
3. and lastly you don't get sent home

:D

stevdock
04-30-2009, 05:04 PM

I have heard this too, but I think alot of that had to do with practice field conditions. Practice inside where you can have consistent field conditions or practice outside on the grass where the field will be a mess and you are running a higher risk of injury?? I think alot of that will be alleviated with the new field.

OldBison
04-30-2009, 05:29 PM
But my concern is this. I swear I've heard this before on this board that Bohl's been known to practice indoors before away games late in the season where the field and the conditions for the game will be less desirable. Can anyone back that up?

The only one I remember was Bohl being criticized for having the team practice indoors before the Missouri State game which was forecast to be cold and windy and I think it was in the high teens/low 20s on game day down there. What I don't remember is whether or not the team practiced indoors because the grass field couldn't be used.

If I recall correctly I think the Bison fumbled five times, MS recovered three I think. During the Bohl show he admited it was a mistake to practice indoors when they had an outdoor game at that point in the season because cold balls get slippery and the ball handlers weren't as prepared as they could have been. So that is the beauty of this new practice facility, obviously that won't be a problem anymore.

EndZoneQB
04-30-2009, 06:11 PM
few reasons:

lmao, gotta give credit there...

56BISON73
04-30-2009, 06:47 PM

Coaches like to practice indoors because they get alot more done at anytime of the year.

bisonmike2
04-30-2009, 07:17 PM
The only one I remember was Bohl being criticized for having the team practice indoors before the Missouri State game which was forecast to be cold and windy and I think it was in the high teens/low 20s on game day down there. What I don't remember is whether or not the team practiced indoors because the grass field couldn't be used.

If I recall correctly I think the Bison fumbled five times, MS recovered three I think. During the Bohl show he admited it was a mistake to practice indoors when they had an outdoor game at that point in the season because cold balls get slippery and the ball handlers weren't as prepared as they could have been. So that is the beauty of this new practice facility, obviously that won't be a problem anymore.

this is what I was thinking of, thanks OldBison. i want out guys to be able to simulate the game day conditions as much as possible in order to be prepared.

IzzyFlexion
04-30-2009, 09:31 PM
few reasons:

Oh, God. I cringe everytime I see a pot reference. It's usually followed by an appearance of a certain visitor to the board.

Zip it!
http://news.filefront.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/too-many-games-nov-dr-evil1.jpg

TheBisonator
04-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Next thing I hope they do is tear down the old decaying grandstand. There's no use for that thing anymore.

Cue the 40-something and older Dacotah Field fanboys crying about "all the memories in the old stadium waaaa waaaa waaaa" in 3... 2... 1...

cvbison1
04-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Next thing I hope they do is tear down the old decaying grandstand. There's no use for that thing anymore.

Cue the 40-something and older Dacotah Field fanboys crying about "all the memories in the old stadium waaaa waaaa waaaa" in 3... 2... 1...

Dacotah Field is what made bison football special. and the cold

TheBisonator
04-30-2009, 10:52 PM
Dacotah Field is what made bison football special. and the cold

Yet it's been dead for over a decade and for some reason we still refuse to bury the corpse...

cvbison1
04-30-2009, 10:53 PM
Yet it's been dead for over a decade and for some reason we still refuse to bury the corpse...

don't they use the locker rooms there anymore?

TheBisonator
04-30-2009, 10:57 PM
don't they use the locker rooms there anymore?

Nope, the grandstand was completely abandoned in 2004. I was a student manager for football starting in 2003. The locker rooms there were apalling.

56BISON73
04-30-2009, 11:18 PM
Nope, the grandstand was completely abandoned in 2004. I was a student manager for football starting in 2003. The locker rooms there were apalling.

They use the grandstands for storage. I was walking by them last year and saw the door was open to the old locker room. So I went in. There were racks of football shoes and other stuff. Championship room still has the old pictures hanging up.

TransAmBison
05-01-2009, 01:44 AM
Sorry Bisonator, but this tirade deserves neg rep in my book. Right there with Rocky bashing. Doesn't sit right with me.

56BISON73
05-01-2009, 02:27 AM
Sorry Bisonator, but this tirade deserves neg rep in my book. Right there with Rocky bashing. Doesn't sit right with me.

If the old granstand had a consession stand selling food you couldnt keep him away from it.:D

Da_Bizon
05-04-2009, 07:04 PM
I believe that the soccer team has expressed interest in playing their home games at Dacotah because of the nice new surface, and that it is actually regulation sized; in which case I would assume they may give the stands a little make-over instead of tearing them down.

P.S. I think someone needs to start up a collection to get this stuff put into the Dome.