PDA

View Full Version : Good time for a week off.

Scooter1
11-02-2008, 01:59 AM
This is a good time for a week off. It's time for the Bison coaching staff to go back to the drawing board on offense.

It starts with the quarterback. Nick Mertens has no faith in his arm or his head. Right now this kid couldn't find an open receiver if we ran the game at half speed. 9/20 for 82 yards and a 4.1 average per attempt?!?!?
It's time to roll the dice with Jackson.

Why the hell can't the Bison run some shotgun formations? At least Nick will get more time to read the defense before he throws into double or tripple coverages.

ISU held the Bison under 275 yards offense...that is frickin' embarrassing.

The only good thing to take from the game....The defense was solid. ISU had no offense for the second half with five minutes left in the fourth.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
11-02-2008, 01:14 AM
This is a good time for a week off. It's time for the Bison coaching staff to go back to the drawing board on offense.

It starts with the quarterback. Nick Mertens has no faith in his arm or his head. Right now this kid couldn't find an open receiver if we ran the game at half speed. 9/20 for 82 yards and a 4.1 average per attempt?!?!?

Why the hell can't the Bison run some shotgun formations? At least Nick will get more time to read the defense before he throws into double or tripple coverages.

The only good thing to take from the game....The defense was solid. ISU had no offense for the second half with five minutes left in the fourth.

And he was bailed out by his receivers numerous times. The swing pass to Jangula was saved by Jangula. If that pass is on the money its a touchdown. Jangula scored on that exact play last year against the Gophers. Thats the difference in QB's.

TAILG8R
11-02-2008, 02:04 AM
And he was bailed out by his receivers numerous times. The swing pass to Jangula was saved by Jangula. If that pass is on the money its a touchdown. Jangula scored on that exact play last year against the Gophers. Thats the difference in QB's.

My brother and I said the exact same thing, it is also the same thing I said a couple of weeks ago. Beyond the fact that they are bailing him out, the receivers or running backs are constantly missing out on yardage because they don't get the ball anywhere near in stride.

MERTENS = SUCKS

stevdock
11-02-2008, 02:19 AM
Go back and look at the entire first quarter. Mertens throws were all very good, his receivers did not come down with the ball. The first 3 and out drive was a perfect example. 1 drop, 1 throw away and one mis-read where it was either DJ's first play as slot receiver or by Mertens. I don't know which one.

The first drive of the second quarter was probably his worst drive all game. That was where their were two short outs and he over-threw both receivers. Between those two throws and two throws where he tried to fit it in the middle of the field Wurz both times I think he had a pretty decent game. Yes the stats weren't great but more blame needs to go around then just to Mertens. He made a few bad decisions with the ball, but overall alot of good decisions, just no results because of it.

Yes Jangula bailed him out tonight with the one catch but he wasn't gonna get in the end zone, the defense had the angle on him. Name more than a handful of plays all season where our receivers went out and made a play for him.

The one thing that I did see when Jackson went in was that it looked like he had alot more fire and commanded the huddle better than Mertens. Jackson's first pass, Mertens has completed many times, so unfair comparison. But the second completion I don't think Mertens makes. That's where Jackson got pummeled and he hit his TE for a nice gain.

Those that are sick of Mertens are going to stick to him again for this game, but from what I saw tonight I saw improvement. And definitely not as bad a game as what his stats show.

BraxtonT
11-02-2008, 05:03 AM
Go back and look at the entire first quarter. Mertens throws were all very good, his receivers did not come down with the ball. The first 3 and out drive was a perfect example. 1 drop, 1 throw away and one mis-read where it was either DJ's first play as slot receiver or by Mertens. I don't know which one.

At or below the knees is not a very good pass.

chuckles
11-02-2008, 05:20 AM
At or below the knees is not a very good pass.

Or into triple coverage!

HerdBot
11-02-2008, 05:27 AM

Mertens was really bad but here are a few observations.

1) Wurzbacher is terrible and he drops everything. He misses blocks. I can't believe he was touted as an NFL caliber player. What pisses me off is he hurdles a guy and people love the guy. Bench him.

2) Our wideouts suck and they are never looking for the ball.

3) We have terrible communication. 5 times I saw Mertens throw the ball and either the receiver was running a different route or had no clue.

4) Mertens is not very good and the fans were actually booing him. He's HORRIBLE. He can't even complete a little 3 yard pass. He doesn't have the mental strength to handle the pressure. When Jackson went in game the fans responded. I would start the guy because you can't do any worse than Mertens.

90BISON
11-02-2008, 05:52 AM
Mertens was really bad but here are a few observations.

1) Wurzbacher is terrible and he drops everything. He misses blocks. I can't believe he was touted as an NFL caliber player. What pisses me off is he hurdles a guy and people love the guy. Bench him.

2) Our wideouts suck and they are never looking for the ball.

3) We have terrible communication. 5 times I saw Mertens throw the ball and either the receiver was running a different route or had no clue.

4) Mertens is not very good and the fans were actually booing him. He's HORRIBLE. He can't even complete a little 3 yard pass. He doesn't have the mental strength to handle the pressure. When Jackson went in game the fans responded. I would start the guy because you can't do any worse than Mertens.

There were about 3 instances in the beginning of the game where Mertens threw the ball, but no one was looking for it, curious to know if that was a receiver issue, QB issue, or both?

I can't remember the last QB we ever had that was audibly booed by more than just a handfull of fans. There was a lady sitting somewhere near our seat that screamed loudly right before one of our TD passes, "Oh no, not a pass". That should tell you all you need to know about our passing game.

Troy should have come in earlier than he did. The game had a whole different feel with him in there.

NDSUstudent
11-02-2008, 06:06 AM
I'm not sold on Jackson but at this point what do we have to lose? Mertens gets worse every week, and at some point you just have to sit him.

About the only thing that made the game watchable was our defense. I don't know what happened but those guys have really turned it around since the YSU debacle.

HerdBot
11-02-2008, 06:06 AM

He was bailed out by a roughing the passer penalty too on a 3rd down. I can't believe how badly this guy sucks. He's being asked the throw short passes to the runningbacks and TEs. Players don't respond to him.

HerdBot
11-02-2008, 06:08 AM
I'm not sold on Jackson but at this point what do we have to lose? Mertens gets worse every week, and at some point you just have to sit him.

About the only thing that made the game watchable was our defense. I don't know what happened but those guys have really turned it around since the YSU debacle.

The fans boo him and his teammates don't respond. We're being productive. He's not improving and he can't handle the pressure. How is he going to respond to a playoff game on espn if we're lucky enough to make it?

NDSUstudent
11-02-2008, 06:24 AM
The fans boo him and his teammates don't respond. We're being productive. He's not improving and he can't handle the pressure. How is he going to respond to a playoff game on espn if we're lucky enough to make it?

The bottom line is that he is regressing and something needs to be changed. I think his problem is that he is thinking about it all, letting everything snowball, and isn't just playing the game.

NDSUFan_Sav
11-02-2008, 06:48 AM

The first drive of the second quarter was probably his worst drive all game. That was where their were two short outs and he over-threw both receivers. Between those two throws and two throws where he tried to fit it in the middle of the field Wurz both times I think he had a pretty decent game. Yes the stats weren't great but more blame needs to go around then just to Mertens. He made a few bad decisions with the ball, but overall alot of good decisions, just no results because of it.

Yes Jangula bailed him out tonight with the one catch but he wasn't gonna get in the end zone, the defense had the angle on him. Name more than a handful of plays all season where our receivers went out and made a play for him.

The one thing that I did see when Jackson went in was that it looked like he had alot more fire and commanded the huddle better than Mertens. Jackson's first pass, Mertens has completed many times, so unfair comparison. But the second completion I don't think Mertens makes. That's where Jackson got pummeled and he hit his TE for a nice gain.

Those that are sick of Mertens are going to stick to him again for this game, but from what I saw tonight I saw improvement. And definitely not as bad a game as what his stats show.

I am really sorry you feel this way. That team started 15 true freshmen and he wasn't able to throw for over 100 yards, we didn't even break 300 total yards. He was under throwing and over throwing receivers, and yes there were a couple they should of brought in, but seriously I liked what I saw from Jackson in his couple of plays then I did Mertens. He seemed more calm and I liked where the ball was placed on his passes.

56BISON73
11-02-2008, 12:45 PM

Gabe
We dont need to be in the playoffs. We will only get embarassed. Give it a rest. PL

bisonmike2
11-02-2008, 12:59 PM
. When Jackson went in game the fans responded. I would start the guy because you can't do any worse than Mertens.

This is absolutely correct. No way Jackson could be any worse than Mertens. I wonder what Jackson's got to be thinking on the sidelines during a game. "Seriously, this guy is beating me out every week? What the hell does a guy got to do to get the starting job around here?"

semobison
11-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Bisonmike, agree with you completly! How bad does a QB have to play before Bohl will replace him? Very, Very hard to believe this hasnt happened yet!

heckler
11-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Bisonmike, agree with you completly! How bad does a QB have to play before Bohl will replace him? Very, Very hard to believe this hasnt happened yet!

Is it something with bald guys or just the northern air because this reminds me of a different coach.

stevdock
11-02-2008, 01:59 PM
The bottom line is that he is regressing and something needs to be changed. I think his problem is that he is thinking about it all, letting everything snowball, and isn't just playing the game.

I'm curious what from this last game showed that he was regressing?? I was at the game last night and saw every last play so someone please explain this to me.

No_Skill
11-02-2008, 02:15 PM

Making the playoff would be extremely unlucky.

Do you seriously want this team to have to go into Montana and play a nationally televised game? We would get embarrassed.

The season is going to end on a very bad note 11/22.

stevdock
11-02-2008, 02:20 PM

Do you seriously want this team to have to go into Montana and play a nationally televised game? We would get embarrassed.

First off there were 2 first round games that were nationally televised and both were local to ESPN. Seriously doubt that they would come to Montana for that game if we were lucky enough to somehow get in.

Second I'm glad that there are so many people holding out hope, but look at our resume compared to other teams that are ahead of us. Even if we win out we will have 1 quality win, SIU. Our conference has had a horrible OOC record this year, which further puts into doubt a possibility of even getting 3 teams into the playoffs.

And finally because of above, I do agree that the season is going to end on the 22nd. Whether it's a win or not is going to depend on the players and coaches.

BisonNeil
11-02-2008, 03:00 PM

I really don't know what game you were watching. From the media blog game interactive:

Three straight incompletions and Bison punt. Not a good start for Mertens, now 1 of 4.
Sycs run the slowest, worst-looking option play I've seen in years. Lose 5 yards. Personal foul penalty on Bison, Compton, on second down gives Sycs first down to the 47. Roberts runs 16 yards to Bison 37. Antoine Brown gets 17 yards to the 19; Sycs moving.

** ISU – Antoine Brown 19 run (Braulio Martinez kick), 4:28.
Drive: 6 plays, 60 yards, 2:30.
Key play: Personal foul on NDSU’s Nick Compton erases third-and-19 hole and gives Sycamores first down to their 47.
NDSU 7, ISU 7.

Big holes in NDSU d line on drive. Stats are one-sided; ISU kicking NDSU with 60 total yards to 24.

ISU playing more spirited ball right now. I've seen this kind of start by NDSU far too many times this year. Mertens way off on second down throw. ISU forces punt, scattered boos in the dome crowd.

Roberts to Gates gains 16 yards on third-and-6. Nice play. Sycs the better team right now. Just think about that sentence. Bison force punt, although ISU receiver had a step on a bomb but couldn't locate the pass, like a baseball lost in the Metrodome ceiling.

McNorton returns punt 33 yards to the 48, plus personal foul on ISU to the Syc 37. Roehl gains 13 yards to the 24.

SECOND QUARTER

NDSU 39 yards total offense in first quarter against a bottom-feeder defense. Not good. Mertens now 1 of 7 for 13 yards. Sycs hold forcing field goal -- 34 yards. Good.

** NDSU – FG Bibeau 34, 13:28.
Drive: 5 plays, 37 yards, 1:37.
Key play: D.J. McNorton returns punt 33 yards to the 48; personal foul penalty on ISU on the play reaches the 37.

Sycs now have three personal foul penalties, latest on kickoff forces them to start from their own 13. Bison force punt, 66-yarder to the 19.

Mertens not there at all. 1 of 8, high throws, looks like totally lost confidence. ISU stos Bison on third-and-1, forces punt. ISU takes over at its own 44. I'll say it again: Sycs are the better team. Think, think again about that sentence.

NDSUstudent
11-02-2008, 03:25 PM

Our defense might just be good enough to make it look decent, that unit is getting better with every game. The other games will probably be close just because neither team doesn't have a great defense. MSU could very well end up looking a lot like Ill State.

heckler
11-02-2008, 04:50 PM

he was exactly as bad as his stats looked

X-Factor
11-02-2008, 06:36 PM
he was exactly as bad as his stats looked

I would probably vote worse, but hey, those stats did look pretty ugly :smh:

9 for 20, against by far the worst defense we have probably played in years.

Mr. Burgundy
11-02-2008, 09:33 PM
He started out 1 for 8. Against a BAD team, that they wanted to push around and get him some confidence. I vote for Troy in this election week! I just think the team will rally around a change. They see the same stuff we see.

Bison101
11-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Just a question-

won't a bye week cause us to move down in the polls come a week from Monday?

NDSUstudent
11-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Just a question-

won't a bye week cause us to move down in the polls come a week from Monday?

Depends on what happens, we could move up or down.

ddock
11-03-2008, 01:06 AM
Gee, maybe we should take tyler out to. He only had 102 yards running. That second series of play calling was hideous. Some of those passes were right there but the receivers dropped or weren't looking for them. That pass later to the TE in traffic was right there and he threaded the needle. Mertens can't help that the line isn't always blocking and the receivers not catching. Those flat passes coming out of the backfield is like trying to shoot a basketball from the baseline. A couple of weeks ago, the team was rushing 3 down lineman with max protection and the qb still got sacked.
why did we wait so long to run the naked bootleg? Speaking of which we could have run 3 qb sneaks in a row and set a record of poor play calling.

17>1
11-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Couple of things I saw. Mertens hit Wurz right in the hands on one of those 10 yard passes up the middle and he dropped it. Not his fault. But I also saw him throw another one up the middle to Wurz and he was about 2 or 3 seconds late getting the ball there, and the one where he overthrew Wurz by the sideline, yikes. Dude is 6'6" and he overthrows him, that's not good. I also don't think the Bison looked all that sharp at all either. Bad coaching at the end of the first half by ISU cost them a chance to win (or be in the game). 3rd and 16 and about a minute or so to go and they throw an ill advised deep ball that gets picked and returned into their end. Bad coaching. You run the ball, run the clock, punt and make the Bison go 60 or 70 yards instead of giving them great field position. Instead of 10-7 or maybe even 13-7 with the fumble happening too right there, you're still in the game, but bad coaching is what I saw. Penalties and bad play calling is why they don't win games. We gotta get this crap together otherwise SDSU is going to win in Fargo and that's going to be embarrassing.

stevdock
11-03-2008, 07:48 PM
I really don't know what game you were watching. From the media blog game interactive:

Three straight incompletions and Bison punt. Not a good start for Mertens, now 1 of 4.

I do find it funny that as much crap as you guys give McFeely that you will use this as your backup for your statement. As far as I know McFeely and Kolpak right this up.

I know what I saw. He was pretty good that first quarter, at least as far as throwing the ball. Decisions throughout the game, were spotty at best, but that's nothing new. Like I said though, those that think that Mertens is the main problem for this team are still going to throw him under the bus, even though Sat's issues were once again not all his fault.

tcbison
11-03-2008, 08:12 PM
He started out 1 for 8. Against a BAD team, that they wanted to push around and get him some confidence. I vote for Troy in this election week! I just think the team will rally around a change. They see the same stuff we see.

Something has to change at some point. We just can't continue to be this one dimensional team on offense and expect to compete in the Missouri Valley Conference.

Bison55
11-03-2008, 08:34 PM
I respectfully disagree with those who say Mertens played OK. We sat and counted to how long he had to get the pass off and it was always like 5-6 seconds. The O-line did a good job protecting him and he probably had 10 seconds to pass if he wanted, as there was rarely any pass rush.

Also, there were a lot of times where he tried to thread it into triple coverage when a different receiver was open. Seemed like once he locked on a receiver, that was it, he was throwing it to him no matter what.

A QB at that level, with that much time in the pocket should be able to look to a 2nd or 3rd option to find the open guy. He simply isn't doing that.

Then you add in the times he over threw his receiver or threw it to the wrong spot, and it added up to a game where he looked pretty bad.