PDA

View Full Version : From Student Body Prez

heckler
10-30-2008, 08:16 PM
For those interested:

My fellow Bison Fans,

I first want to thank all of you for your ongoing commitment to keep up the terrific Bison Pride we've seen this year. I hope you're all excited for the game this weekend. There are still plenty of tickets available, but they are going fast, so get up to the BSA soon and make sure you can be there to cheer the Bison on to another victory in this year's Harvest Bowl. The game is at 6:00 PM this Saturday!

As we continue our journey into Division 1, we all need to do our part help in the effort to make sure that everyone who visits our university feels welcome. The Missouri Valley Football Conference has done a great job of encouraging good sportsmanship at football games. A simple handshake from both teams at the beginning of a game is a good example of these efforts. As fans, we too need to display good sportsmanship.

Please join your student representatives in student government and myself by pledging to be an "agent" of inclusiveness and good sportsmanship at every NDSU event and this coming football game. The more allies we have in the stands, the stronger we will be in overcoming negative behaviors. Cheer as loud as you can for our team and be respectful to everyone else.

Thank you for your hard work on this issue and don't be afraid speak up! Negative and derogatory remarks or cheers are not a part of who we here at NDSU. Fargodome staff and NDSU Administration will be taking action against those who violate the NDSU Code of Student Behavior.

Respectfully,

Joe Heilman
NDSU Student Body President, 2008-2009

NDSUstudent
10-30-2008, 08:38 PM
This is coming from a guy who sits next to Chapman at games and not in the student section.

roadwarrior
10-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Well at least he's trying to get students out to the game.

aces1180
10-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Yeah, that's a pretty lame e-mail in my opinion.

He is the type of dude that I made fun of when I was in college.

lcbison
10-30-2008, 09:09 PM
This is coming from a guy who sits next to Chapman at games and not in the student section.

um...ya the Pres has the best seats in the house....would much rather sit there than wait in line to sit in student section...

Yeah, that's a pretty lame e-mail in my opinion.

He is the type of dude that I made fun of when I was in college.

True....True.... Sportsmanship Sucks......

HoopsBison
10-30-2008, 09:15 PM
I gurantee you in a little shorter and right to the bottom of it he means to stop chanting "2's a faggot". Ive heard that numerous calls have been made to NDSU about this issue. So without the fancy email... kill the chant, its stupid and not needed.

NDSUstudent
10-30-2008, 09:17 PM
um...ya the Pres has the best seats in the house....would much rather sit there than wait in line to sit in student section...

The student section, the atmosphere is a little too tame next to the president. I also enjoy tailgating before the game and everything that goes with it, sitting next to the president after doing so might not be the greatest idea. That said I go to the game to cheer for the Bison and not to brown-nose.

aces1180
10-30-2008, 09:19 PM
I gurantee you in a little shorter and right to the bottom of it he means to stop chanting "2's a faggot". Ive heard that numerous calls have been made to NDSU about this issue. So without the fancy email... kill the chant, its stupid and not needed.

I was there when it started back in 98 or 99 and it was funny at the time, partly because #2 was acting a like a jerk. However, I agree. It's not cool anymore and should be put to rest.

rutlandbison
10-30-2008, 09:32 PM

No matter how much everybody pisses and moans this stupid chant isnt going away.

rutlandbison
10-30-2008, 09:33 PM

i forgot to put in that last post that i do agree with you though.

BigBison
10-30-2008, 09:39 PM
This is lame, we need a new chat that can still heckle the visting team, and be PC.

SDbison
10-30-2008, 09:54 PM
This is lame, we need a new chat that can still heckle the visting team, and be PC.
Isn't it great to live under such scrutiny these days! I am sure what is at issue is the use of the word "faggot". Can't harass a protected group. So good luck with chants in a PC world......

WYOBISONMAN
10-30-2008, 10:13 PM
"Faggot" is out of line.....just as out of line as is using "nigger". I am sure that there are plenty of other options for cheers and chants that don't use words like that. It has nothing to do with being PC, but everything to do with not using derogatory terminology that has not one thing to do with a football game....:smh:

NDSUstudent
10-30-2008, 10:16 PM
The chant is slowly being phased out, but trust me when I say this he also has a problem with students booing the other team.

missingnumber7
10-30-2008, 10:30 PM
[QUOTE=lcbison;225459]um...ya the Pres has the best seats in the house....would much rather sit there than wait in line to sit in student section...

Yea but you're the student body prez...sorry...you belong in the the student section.

WYOBISONMAN
10-30-2008, 10:37 PM
The chant is slowly being phased out, but trust me when I say this he also has a problem with students booing the other team.

For me booing is fine......just a part of the atmosphere.....

NDSUstudent
10-30-2008, 10:44 PM

Most would say so as well but at the UNI game he was trying to get us to stop booing when UNI came onto the field.

roadwarrior
10-30-2008, 10:51 PM
OK, who voted for this guy?

56BISON73
10-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Most would say so as well but at the UNI game he was trying to get us to stop booing when UNI came onto the field.

This is where Joe and I part ways. The all inclusive bullshit has its time and place and meaning.
Booing an opposing team takes nothing away from being all inclusive.
We treat ALL opposing teams that way. We dont discriminate.:D PL

WYOBISONMAN
10-30-2008, 10:59 PM

Not me......I am too damn old!!!!;)

RunDMc34
10-30-2008, 11:29 PM
impeach this guy, seriously most students do their best to stop the 2 is "special" cheer, If i pay money drive to freaking Iowa try to make it a bison home game and boo a team out of their own building then i will do that.

Ok seriously dont impeach him but he is being ridiculous its football FOOTBALL not church club, or a meeting of the student government office, maybe students should stand outside his office and boo him everytime he walks in and out, then he will realize a little booing never hurt anyone

heckler
10-31-2008, 12:03 AM
be interesting if all the students sat on their hands

BisBison
10-31-2008, 12:22 AM

That is not true. My seats are directly in front of Chapman's. Joe Heilman does visit from time to time, but from what I see he wanders all over the dome visiting with people and cheering the team on. He's a great ambassador for the student body.

02Bison
10-31-2008, 12:26 AM
I am ashamed/saddened by the fact that some of the students/fans (presumably over 18) who post here think that an email calling for good sportsmanship is lame. It has never been socially acceptable to be a bad sport and there is nothing cool about doing the things this email calls for fans to stop doing. If you took issue with the email, I hope you will take a good look at yourself in the mirror one day (hopefully sooner than later) and then have an epiphany as to how bass ackwards your thought process on this is.

I am glad the the Student Body President sent a message, but a bit disappointed with the fact that the Student Body President even needs to send these reminders.

02Bison
10-31-2008, 12:30 AM
impeach this guy, seriously most students do their best to stop the 2 is "special" cheer, If i pay money drive to freaking Iowa try to make it a bison home game and boo a team out of their own building then i will do that.

Ok seriously dont impeach him but he is being ridiculous its football FOOTBALL not church club, or a meeting of the student government office, maybe students should stand outside his office and boo him everytime he walks in and out, then he will realize a little booing never hurt anyone

Its socially unacceptable behavior. That's the bottom line. Your reply is just a loitering rant of garbage.

aces1180
10-31-2008, 12:36 AM

Exactly...It could be worse...They boo Santa Claus in Philadelphia.

aces1180
10-31-2008, 12:36 AM
Its socially unacceptable behavior. That's the bottom line. Your reply is just a loitering rant of garbage.

Well, that's your opinion...However, I think you are in the minority here.

WYOBISONMAN
10-31-2008, 12:44 AM
Exactly...It could be worse...They boo Santa Claus in Philadelphia.

I would only boo Santa if I got nothin' for Christmas....lol

tjbison
10-31-2008, 12:49 AM
IMO students Boo Cheer do whatever keeps the opposing team on their heals! GO STUDENTS!!!

McBison
10-31-2008, 12:57 AM
For those interested:

My fellow Bison Fans,

I first want to thank all of you for your ongoing commitment to keep up the terrific Bison Pride we've seen this year. I hope you're all excited for the game this weekend. There are still plenty of tickets available, but they are going fast, so get up to the BSA soon and make sure you can be there to cheer the Bison on to another victory in this year's Harvest Bowl. The game is at 6:00 PM this Saturday!

As we continue our journey into Division 1, we all need to do our part help in the effort to make sure that everyone who visits our university feels welcome. The Missouri Valley Football Conference has done a great job of encouraging good sportsmanship at football games. A simple handshake from both teams at the beginning of a game is a good example of these efforts. As fans, we too need to display good sportsmanship.

Please join your student representatives in student government and myself by pledging to be an "agent" of inclusiveness and good sportsmanship at every NDSU event and this coming football game. The more allies we have in the stands, the stronger we will be in overcoming negative behaviors. Cheer as loud as you can for our team and be respectful to everyone else.

Thank you for your hard work on this issue and don't be afraid speak up! Negative and derogatory remarks or cheers are not a part of who we here at NDSU. Fargodome staff and NDSU Administration will be taking action against those who violate the NDSU Code of Student Behavior.

Respectfully,

Joe Heilman
NDSU Student Body President, 2008-2009

This should have been two e-mails...IMO

E-mail 1...attempt to hype up a blow-out game.

E-mail 2...threaten expulsion from the dome for conduct unbecoming of a NDSU student.

Keep in mind, this e-mail is pretty vague on what will get you tossed.

Respectfully,
McBison

NDSUstudent
10-31-2008, 01:33 AM
That is not true. My seats are directly in front of Chapman's. Joe Heilman does visit from time to time, but from what I see he wanders all over the dome visiting with people and cheering the team on. He's a great ambassador for the student body.

That is just what I heard and until now that seemed reliable because I had never seen him in the student section. I'm not sure if he is a great ambassador for Bison football or the students who sit in the student section.

NDSUstudent
10-31-2008, 01:42 AM
I am ashamed/saddened by the fact that some of the students/fans (presumably over 18) who post here think that an email calling for good sportsmanship is lame. It has never been socially acceptable to be a bad sport and there is nothing cool about doing the things this email calls for fans to stop doing. If you took issue with the email, I hope you will take a good look at yourself in the mirror one day (hopefully sooner than later) and then have an epiphany as to how bass ackwards your thought process on this is.

I am glad the the Student Body President sent a message, but a bit disappointed with the fact that the Student Body President even needs to send these reminders.

I guess us students should sit on our hands and just watch. The Dome can be known for the most friendly atmosphere in the FCS.

The sad thing is that we don't need this warning, if he was in the student section he would know that there is a group of students trying to stop the #2 chant. He doesn't need to sick the event staff on us.

RunDMc34
10-31-2008, 01:45 AM

LOL if booing is socially unacceptable then put me in the group that thinks being pc is so damn far out of line that it itself is socially unacceptable.

Your reply is exactly what i would expect from someone who has never played sports.

56BISON73
10-31-2008, 01:48 AM
Next they will expect us to cheer when the opposing team makes a touchdown. PL

RunDMc34
10-31-2008, 01:52 AM
if pl agrees with me i know im right on on this one.

I know we dont see eye to eye on a lot of fan issues but booing you have got to be kidding me

CaBisonFan
10-31-2008, 02:15 AM
Dear Joe the Student:

Campaign to have the student section moved one or two sections closer to the 50 yd line...or...have the students in the upper half from goal post to goal post, and then bring down a narrow section to the field at each end. They can stand the whole game, and put some sound behind the other fans that are sitting below you. You'll get support from us crazies.

Put the band at about the 20 or 30 yardline by the field, next to the cheerleaders. Unify your student body...and blend in older fanatics below you. Make a real cheering section.

Advertise it as the STANDING SECTION. That would be the entire side of the field where the opposing team is. Keep it civil, but make it a goal to make life miserable for the visiting team in terms of loudness...constantly. Never let up. Dominate that half of the stadium.

On the other side of the field, actually take out the VIP seats and replace them with couches, lazyboys, and LCD screens. :D Make them expensive, and lower the prices for people who want to be in the 'standing section.'

I'm serious about this. Make it clear that one side of the stadium won't be sitting down much.

At the WIU game the students were carrying their weight with cheers. No problem there. I was impressed. You need to mix in the older fanatics who will support the student cheers that they hear behind them, and to the sides. A 'U' shape surrounding the older fan base.

The civility is a good thing to a point...but you also need to foster a bit of craziness in the coziness of the dome. 'Tis a delicate balance. I wouldn't promote the robocop attitude however. It's a football game, in the United States of America. Not a chess match in Communist China.

Right now, when the game slows down, the environment feels like a chess game. Your fan base, young and old, is not positioned correctly.

Give that half of the stadium a name that promotes it as the 'I'm going to go crazy' side. Sell season and individual tickets accordingly.

You need to promote controled craziness, and be play the 'civility' card only when needed. Have there been any killings at Bison games lately? No?

Then work harder at the crazy part. That would be 'your' job. Let the security folks deal with any nut case that enters the arena.

Don't forget to remember that you're a student. Chapman's a good man, but your jobs are different. Don't be in his pocket. Watch a couple of SEC games to see how they act. Your student body wants to cheer, and party. It's called...ah...college.

Promote that. :nod:

Da_Bizon
10-31-2008, 02:15 AM
This has got to be one of the stupidest things he has done yet. This guy is an idiot. I don't care what his intentions are, he is just pissing everyone off. Nobody likes this guy and he's not doing anything to help himself gain any friends. He saw/heard, I don't know which, that Wyoming was cheering for us... newsflash- it's because they hate their coach. We are not going to change anything we are doing, and, as a matter of fact, these stupid emails are just making things worse. It's creating animosity and makes people want to do more just to spite him. He needs to shut his mouth and act like a student. Don't go sit with the president and brown-nose with the higher-ups- you'll have plenty of opportunities for that.

By comparison to bigger schools, even though I hate this argument, we are not that bad. Everyone boos the other team and cheering for them is just not right. This guy apparently has no friends, and from the looks of it doesn't want them, and is not gonna gain any from this. I hope somebody talks some sense into him sometime soon.

If you read that whole rant, congrats and Go Bison!

McBison
10-31-2008, 02:30 AM
If he does not want the 'two' chant THEN SAY IT instead of pussy footing around the subject! I don’t think anyone would care if that disappeared.

I would rather have him say anyone evolved in the two chant is out, then ' if you are doing something that violates the code of conduct, ndsu special ops will find you...and deliver punishment'

TransAmBison
10-31-2008, 02:31 AM
I was there when it started back in 98 or 99 and it was funny at the time, partly because #2 was acting a like a jerk. However, I agree. It's not cool anymore and should be put to rest.
Sorry to tell ya, but the chant is older than that.

roadwarrior
10-31-2008, 02:33 AM
We need to be happy that our students show up for games. Last weekend at Illinois State, the ISU band outnumbered the students in the student section 2 to 1.

CaBisonFan
10-31-2008, 02:35 AM
We need to be happy that our students show up for games. Last weekend at Illinois State, the ISU band outnumbered the students in the student section 2 to 1.

From where I sat, the student body carried the weight of support at the WIU game. They were great. I think that they deserve better seating where they could have a bigger impact on the atmosphere.

JSUBison
10-31-2008, 02:36 AM
"Heilman is a faggot"

Keep your ears open, as I would expect the students to respond to that email, which many will perceive as arrogant and condescending, in the way students know best: by turning it around and mocking the idiot that sent it.

I am not endorsing it, just saying that I wouldn't be suprised to hear it.

CaBisonFan
10-31-2008, 02:49 AM
[quote=JSUBison;225530]"Heilman is a faggot"

And you would know because?

aces1180
10-31-2008, 02:56 AM
Sorry to tell ya, but the chant is older than that.

No crap? I honestly thought it started then...I stand corrected.

UTH
10-31-2008, 03:36 AM
No crap? I honestly thought it started then...I stand corrected.

Yeah - I heard it's so old lakes had to have his mother start it for him...:hide:

missingnumber7
10-31-2008, 03:38 AM
This should have been two e-mails...IMO

E-mail 1...attempt to hype up a blow-out game.

E-mail 2...threaten expulsion from the dome for conduct unbecoming of a NDSU student.

Keep in mind, this e-mail is pretty vague on what will get you tossed.

Respectfully,
McBison

Keep in mind that this is the second email that he has sent out this season.

tony
10-31-2008, 03:39 AM
Yeah - I heard it's so old lakes had to have his mother start it for him...:hide:

I never heard that chant at Dacotah... must be a '90s thing that I wish would die like the Macarena and Beanie Babies.

UTH
10-31-2008, 03:43 AM
I never heard that chant at Dacotah... must be a '90s thing that I wish would die like the Macarena and Beanie Babies.

Yeah, seriously - I thought that Aces had it correct. I don't remember ever hearing it until 98 to 99 or so. Not saying it didn't exist until then - just don't remember hearing it until then...:hide:

SDbison
10-31-2008, 04:20 AM
People should have freedom of speech. If they look like an idiot so be it. Quit trying to socially engineer the public. All the PC crap comes from the liberals who want to control thoughts and speech and make everyone love each other like some kind of Nirvana (aint gonna happen folks). It all comes down to ultrasensitivity for the protected groups and if you are a white, heterosexual male then its OK to poke fun at you. I say screw the control freak student body president who is nothing more than a suck up politician wanna be.

ndsubison1
10-31-2008, 06:00 AM
next they'll want us to boo our own team... lol.

this is all ridiculous... as long as were not threatening the individual personally then it's fair game.

Aren't we a public instituition where our team plays at a public venue? Therefore they have no right to tell us what we can/can't say. If we can't curse at a football game, then what next? Maybe the university will give us students a curfew too. Aren't games for the students more so than anyone else? I thought NDSU stood for open-mindedness? Yet they're trying to control what we can/cannot say. Sounds like a double-standard to me...

huskon4ever
10-31-2008, 07:39 AM
next they'll want us to boo our own team... lol.

this is all ridiculous... as long as were not threatening the individual personally then it's fair game.

Aren't we a public instituition where our team plays at a public venue? Therefore they have no right to tell us what we can/can't say. If we can't curse at a football game, then what next? Maybe the university will give us students a curfew too. Aren't games for the students more so than anyone else? I thought NDSU stood for open-mindedness? Yet they're trying to control what we can/cannot say. Sounds like a double-standard to me...

Of course NDSU stands for "open-mindedness" but just as long as they get to put boundaries on it, kinda how everything works nowadays. Ya know, think outside the box, but let me show you where the walls are.... :banghead:

As far as Joe is concerned, I really don't perceive him to be a bad guy, at least when talkin to him one-on-one, so these emails kinda make me wonder where this came from? Perhaps someone above him suggested this? No clue, just curious.

Also, the "2" chant has been around that long? Yikes! In my first year on campus ('04) I asked a few other people at the football game what it was about and they said we were making fun of Babich, but the other team always thought we were doing it for one of their players. Truthfully I thought there might be some credibility to this because over the last 2 years, I really haven't heard the chant at all, but maybe I just missed something!

TransAmBison
10-31-2008, 12:50 PM
Of course NDSU stands for "open-mindedness" but just as long as they get to put boundaries on it, kinda how everything works nowadays. Ya know, think outside the box, but let me show you where the walls are.... :banghead:

As far as Joe is concerned, I really don't perceive him to be a bad guy, at least when talkin to him one-on-one, so these emails kinda make me wonder where this came from? Perhaps someone above him suggested this? No clue, just curious.

Also, the "2" chant has been around that long? Yikes! In my first year on campus ('04) I asked a few other people at the football game what it was about and they said we were making fun of Babich, but the other team always thought we were doing it for one of their players. Truthfully I thought there might be some credibility to this because over the last 2 years, I really haven't heard the chant at all, but maybe I just missed something!
It had nothing to do with Babich. The chant that had to do with him was "Bob's got Balls"

aces1180
10-31-2008, 01:09 PM
It had nothing to do with Babich. The chant that had to do with him was "Bob's got Balls"

I think he was talking about the former CB, Bobby.

imported_Bisongold
10-31-2008, 01:23 PM
I still hear the #2 chant every game. From where I sit it is hard to understand it unless you knew about it in advance. I'm sure the other team can hear it but probably can't figure it out. At any rate, whoever poor #2 is will get an earfull but probably can't figure out what he did to deserve the attention!
I wish there could be a contest to come up with a very catchy and clever chant that the entire crowd would get into and become tradition like the famous KU Rock chalk Jayhawk chant. There could be an entire promotional campaign on the contest to try to stimulate people to put some effort into it. Kind of like the videos that people are making now.

bisonmike2
10-31-2008, 02:10 PM
I don't see the big deal about this message from the student body pres. NDSU's probably got some of the complaints about the student section, Chapman or somebody else in the administration probably told him to address it and this is him doing that. I'm sure if he was going to send out a message in his own words it would read something like this:

"Hey students. Most of you are awesome and crazy, keep up the good work. There are a couple of retards starting a chant that 2's a faggot every game. Please don't encourage them. Don't start in and cheer with them. After a couple of games it will go away, thanks.

P.S. this was not my idea, The Chap man has gotten some complaints and wanted me to address it so don't be a dick and bitch and moan about this while posting it on some internet forum like Bisonville. Like I said, not my idea. Just be smart and have fun. Don't be dicks. Go
Bison!"

duluthbison
10-31-2008, 02:12 PM
Wow I think this whole thing has been blown way out of proportion, Big Joe probably "suggested" that Joe Jr. send out the e-mails about the chants. Because he can't really say that there will be consequences for these actions. To me it just sounds like university administration is pulling some strings.

But the solution is really simple...stop calling players on the other team faggots and this whole thing will go away!!

tony
10-31-2008, 02:46 PM
People should have freedom of speech. If they look like an idiot so be it. Quit trying to socially engineer the public. All the PC crap comes from the liberals who want to control thoughts and speech and make everyone love each other like some kind of Nirvana (aint gonna happen folks). It all comes down to ultrasensitivity for the protected groups and if you are a white, heterosexual male then its OK to poke fun at you. I say screw the control freak student body president who is nothing more than a suck up politician wanna be.

Nobody is suggesting that the government pass a law banning people from being morons in public so your freedom of speech argument is nonsensical. Freedom of speech does not mean you can be a dumbass in public and nobody should dare to point to it out - man, I hear that way too often and it's just as ridiculous as the most outrageous PC crap.

Besides, speaking of hypersensitive, let me get this straight: Chanting "#2 is a faggot" is fine in your book, but pointing out that doing so is embarrassing and moronic endangers the Constitution? What happened to my freedom of speech? :)

And how hypersensitive is it to demand that I, or anybody, else spare the feelings of a bunch of dumbasses by not pointing out the self-evident fact that their actions are stupid and not a little embarrassing? Am I hurting the feelings of some dumbasses? How sad! Maybe the little darlings can cry to their mommies and daddies and get a pat on the head and some milk and freaking cookies.

TransAmBison
10-31-2008, 02:49 PM
When did "faggot" become politically incorrect? :D

Go_Herd
10-31-2008, 03:00 PM

Isn't it a bundle of sticks or something....calling a certain #2 a bundle of sticks is fine in my book.

Herd Mentality
10-31-2008, 03:07 PM
Bob Babich (While speaking at a Homecoming show)
"You realize my son is wearing #2 at Fargo South, right?"

Dear Heilman,

In my opinion, you are a tool. Am I still allowed to sing "Fat guy in a little jersey" or chant "Rudy" at those of small stature? If you want to flex your president muscle, I suggest you get your student body to stay for the majority of a home game first. At that point you might get a little more respect around here.

Sioux Suck.

-HM

lcbison
10-31-2008, 03:15 PM
Booing the opposing team is totally acceptable in my book.

Heck, I will boo the home team if the situation is right. These are college level kids who are getting full scholarships, so in my book there getting paid to play.

I always like the 2's a Fa$%ot chant. Thought it was clever and witty.

tony
10-31-2008, 03:17 PM
I always like the 2's a Fa$%ot chant. Thought it was clever and witty.

Hehe, then you are a dumbass, sir. :)

Funny that you can say it but not spell it - is that your sarcasm showing?

SDbison
10-31-2008, 03:44 PM
When did calling the other team "pussies" become politically incorrect?
Seems the dome nazis have their own dictionary of unallowable language.....wish they would share it with everybody. I always thought the list was the "7 things you can't say" as made famous by the late George Carlin.
Seems I remember somebody getting removed from a game for somebody else calling a player a pussy. Hmmmmm.......

SDbison
10-31-2008, 03:47 PM
Hehe, then you are a dumbass, sir. :)

Funny that you can say it but not spell it - is that your sarcasm showing?
Didn't know faggot was deemed socially unacceptable now just like the N word. But of course Tony can call people dumb asses for saying it. :blush:

02Bison
10-31-2008, 04:57 PM
I'm saying these fans should focus their energy on cheering for the Bison, versus cheering negatively toward the opponent. The Dome game day enviroment would be so much better if the energy was refocussed to cheering for the Bison. That's all I'm saying.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-31-2008, 05:01 PM
Damnit I am sooo getting kicked out from this game, and not bc of the "2s a faggot" chant if you can't boooo or yell at the opponent, i'm in big big trouble....
:ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

tony
10-31-2008, 05:16 PM
Didn't know faggot was deemed socially unacceptable now just like the N word. But of course Tony can call people dumb asses for saying it. :blush:

In my opinion, if people don't want to be called dumb asses, they should stop acting like dumb asses. :)

Anyway, you are the one being sensitive. If you don't like what I'm saying, argue with me, but for gosh sake don't play the victim.

It's very simple: I've proposed is that only a dumbass would think "Number 2's a faggot" is clever. I didn't propose this because I think the First Amendment should be repealed. I didn't write it because I'm on a PC spree. I didn't write it because I thought any cheer that isn't nice to the other team should be banned. I hate that cheer in particular for four reasons: One, it's not funny. Two, it's stupid. Three, I think it started at the same time Bobby Babich got #2. Four, it's embarrassing. If you want to argue those points, fine. Heck, you can be as caustic as you want because, unlike so many folks, I can take it as well as dish it out.

Edit: If I really thought lcbison was a dumbass, I probably wouldn't have called him one - thus the smiley in the post - because that kind of name calling makes for pretty bad message board reading - not that this thread is all that great to begin with. The fact that he couldn't bring himself to write out the word made me think that the post was written sarcastically, like "I think Number 2's a faggot is *really* clever." However, if lcbison was serious, that is some major irony because, let me get this straight: Shouting it at a football game is good but spelling out the word on a message board crosses a line? Seems like a good rule of thumb that if you think that spelling a word out crosses a line that you probably shouldn't be yelling it at the top of your lungs at a football game.

Herd Mentality
10-31-2008, 06:34 PM
started way before Bobby getting number 2 for the Bison....

d3boys
10-31-2008, 07:45 PM
bobby was not a feckless faggot
people didnt like him just because he was the coaches son

aces1180
10-31-2008, 07:48 PM
bobby was not a feckless faggot
people didnt like him just because he was the coaches son

My negative opinion for Bobby was because of his play at cornerback. He was not very good, IMO.

d3boys
10-31-2008, 07:55 PM
I disagree
by his senior year he was a pretty good cornerback

aces1180
10-31-2008, 07:59 PM
I disagree
by his senior year he was a pretty good cornerback

Fair enough...I just remember him getting burned a lot. I know he was just a freshman, but against Cal-Davis in 2002, he got owned. That's one of the games that really sticks in my head.

Herd Mentality
10-31-2008, 08:07 PM
Bobby was a very serviceable CB...not a shutdown corner by any means, but he was a good 4-year starter.

I seriously hope nobody thinks that cheer had ANYTHING to do with Bobby, because it DID NOT.

aces1180
10-31-2008, 08:17 PM
Bobby was a very serviceable CB...not a shutdown corner by any means, but he was a good 4-year starter.

I seriously hope nobody thinks that cheer had ANYTHING to do with Bobby, because it DID NOT.

This is true.

ndsubison1
10-31-2008, 08:27 PM
people are too sensitive these days, that's what it all boils down to... if somebody wants to be a dumbass then let them be, i guess that's their problem if they want to look like a fool.

heckler
10-31-2008, 08:48 PM
Could students be put on Behavioral Probation for booing the other team?

huskon4ever
10-31-2008, 09:35 PM

Yes I was referring to young Bobby, not the coach. Like I said before its what they told me, not that I believed it, just thought it was odd that an entire student section would ridicule one player so much. And beings that was the first game I had ever been to, and there was no other #2 on the field for the other team, it seemed somewhat likely. And there were plenty of reasons that kids didn't like Bobby, but I guess you just had to be around him at parties and such to understand that... But yes, either way it should stop and there is no reason for it to continue. Onward Bison!

56BISON73
10-31-2008, 09:42 PM

There was a time when a cigarette was called a fag.
PL

heckler
10-31-2008, 09:51 PM
I sent an email to the Prez but all I got was an out of office reply.

UTH
10-31-2008, 10:03 PM
I sent an email to the Prez but all I got was an out of office reply.

Out of town and unavailable for comment?:hide:

Bisonguy
11-01-2008, 12:11 AM
started way before Bobby getting number 2 for the Bison....

Chea, I remember it in 94 or 95 at least. Don't really remember it the first season in the dome, but then again, I don't remember much of anything from that year. :blush:

NDSUstudent
11-02-2008, 06:32 AM
It was good to see Gene Taylor in the student section today explaining to the students just what the deal is. That is how you take care of things, direct and to the point and not some flowery pc email.

Herd Mentality
11-02-2008, 06:52 AM
elaborate please, alot of us that have been around would like to hear what is actually the deal

PS.... FFD Security made an attempt this evening to stop your's truly in the middle of "if you're happy and you know it", wow.

NDSUstudent
11-02-2008, 03:13 PM
elaborate please, alot of us that have been around would like to hear what is actually the deal

PS.... FFD Security made an attempt this evening to stop your's truly in the middle of "if you're happy and you know it", wow.

He basically said the 2 chant is offensive and the school has gotten a lot of complaints about it and to please chant something else that won't make NDSU look so bad. He also added that if anyone is caught doing or starting the chant security will get them, pull them out into the hallway, and take their information so it can be turned into student affairs.

onbison09
11-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Damn Joe is getting slammed! Actually know the guy (from Rugby) he's really cool. I don't see why everyone's killing him. 2's a faggot is a stupid chant. That's probably what he was responding to.

ndsubison1
11-02-2008, 10:35 PM
He basically said the 2 chant is offensive and the school has gotten a lot of complaints about it and to please chant something else that won't make NDSU look so bad. He also added that if anyone is caught doing or starting the chant security will get them, pull them out into the hallway, and take their information so it can be turned into student affairs.

that's a bunch of b.s.... seriously i have a problem if somebody is disciplined for saying "2's a faggot"... telling them to not chant it is one thing but disciplinary actions is going too far... what is this the ACLU?

SlickVic
11-03-2008, 05:56 AM
what are the odds on that the student prez even showed up on saturday? ill generously give 20-1 any takers? and no i dont have any inside information u can ask pat simmers if you dont believe me ;)

tony
11-03-2008, 07:31 AM
that's a bunch of b.s.... seriously i have a problem if somebody is disciplined for saying "2's a faggot"... telling them to not chant it is one thing but disciplinary actions is going too far... what is this the ACLU?

I urge you to write a letter to the Forum! You're not going to get any sympathy from me - I think I've made it abundantly clear what I think about students who chant this (rhymes with "numb glasses").

Also, you should definitely contact the ACLU if you feel strongly about this issue; however, you should know that for the ACLU to get involved, they have to be acting on behalf of an aggrieved party. To fit the bill, you'd probably have to start the chant and get disciplined. You might want to run that one by your folks first though :)

ndsubison1
11-03-2008, 04:04 PM
I urge you to write a letter to the Forum! You're not going to get any sympathy from me - I think I've made it abundantly clear what I think about students who chant this (rhymes with "numb glasses").

Also, you should definitely contact the ACLU if you feel strongly about this issue; however, you should know that for the ACLU to get involved, they have to be acting on behalf of an aggrieved party. To fit the bill, you'd probably have to start the chant and get disciplined. You might want to run that one by your folks first though :)

The ACLU is far from what it stands for... they would be against me because it's a liberal organization.... but i'm not for this chant in anyway and I do not participate in it at games but if someone is going to get disciplined for chanting it than that's overstepping the line...

chuckles
11-04-2008, 01:56 AM
what are the odds on that the student prez even showed up on saturday? ill generously give 20-1 any takers? and no i dont have any inside information u can ask pat simmers if you dont believe me ;)

He wasn't - guaranteed!

heckler
11-04-2008, 02:24 AM
I third that... Florida anyone?

02Bison
11-04-2008, 03:26 AM

Well said Tony!