PDA

View Full Version : NDSU jersey Q

Twentysix
10-25-2008, 08:48 PM
I have been wondering for awile why our jersey's dont have players names on them? Was it some sort of D2 rule? All the teams we play seem to have there lastnames on the jersey. Anyone with an answer would be appreciated. thanks!

bisonpride4ever
10-25-2008, 09:07 PM
all that matters is the name on the FRONT of the jersey

Twentysix
10-25-2008, 09:08 PM
In otherwords you have no idea?

MN_BISON
10-25-2008, 09:17 PM
No, I'm pretty sure that is the reason.

rutlandbison
10-25-2008, 09:23 PM

I'm pretty sure they dont know.

TheBisonator
10-25-2008, 09:23 PM
I'm generally against last names on the back of the jersey, but I'd like to see a game jersey with a last name on it just to see what it looks like. I'm sure it wouldn't look that bad.

Herd
10-25-2008, 09:25 PM
I have been wondering for awile why our jersey's dont have players names on them? Was it some sort of D2 rule? All the teams we play seem to have there lastnames on the jersey. Anyone with an answer would be appreciated. thanks!

Biggest reason . . . it's a huge expense as jerseys can't be transferred. Most FCS and lower budget DI teams don't have names on the jerseys. Just a fact.

99Bison
10-25-2008, 09:26 PM
The first guys are correct and this has been discussed many a time before. It's the "team" philosophy of the Bison that has and does dictate.

56BISON73
10-25-2008, 09:26 PM

Because they are a team not individuals. This has been discussed before and I cant rember all of the details but that is one of them. . PL

4mcruenomore
10-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Atleast we have a nice helmet logo, when I see U of Mary or even DSU with plain helmets it just screams cheap/low budget, just me though.

IzzyFlexion
10-25-2008, 09:43 PM
During the 80's, Don Morton addressed this several times stating what most of you are saying.
Humility
Solidarity
tradition, etc.

wilson
10-26-2008, 12:16 AM
During the 80's, Don Morton addressed this several times stating what most of you are saying.
Humility
Solidarity
tradition, etc.

etc. = expense :D

Not to discredit the "team" aspect, but you know that is just a good reason to give instead of saying it costs too much. You know if cost wasn't an issue it would have happened by now.

4mcruenomore
10-26-2008, 12:22 AM
etc. = expense :D

Not to discredit the "team" aspect, but you know that is just a good reason to give instead of saying it costs too much. You know if cost wasn't an issue it would have happened by now.

AMEN! Like not having locker rooms at the FFD for how many years too. We have been on a tight budget for years, it's disgusting IMO. We should have been IAA/FCS back in 1979 like our peers out in MT.

Bisonguy
10-26-2008, 12:30 AM
AMEN! Like not having locker rooms at the FFD for how many years too. We have been on a tight budget for years, it's disgusting IMO. We should have been IAA/FCS back in 1979 like our peers out in MT.

NDSU and UND tried to back then. They were shot down by the Big Sky at that time as well. :nod:

Getting back to the jerseys, as others have stated, it's because the name on front is more important than the name on back. If the budget was an issue, they could find money somewhere (i.e. buy fewer socks, etc.).

TheDoctor
10-26-2008, 01:57 AM
I suppose Penn State is too poor as well? Or how about Alabama? I suppose Sabin took all the money for names as a "bonus" on his salary! ;)

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-26-2008, 02:47 AM
Money isn't the issue. When I was one of the equiptment manager's for the Bison in the 80's we replaced jersies throughout the season. Everyone had a backup jersy in both colors and multiple jersies for the consistent ball carriers. The old turf at Dacotah feild was brutal on jersies. It was not unusal for someone like Benny or Stark to go through at least two or three jersies a year. The turf would just shred the area around the should pads on the ball carriers.

scheelsguy
10-26-2008, 02:59 AM
It's not the money. If they wanted the names on the back of the jerseys, it would get done in a second. Trust me. I think it is understood why the names aren't on the back of the jerseys, and I for one NEVER want to see it happen.

sambini
10-26-2008, 03:19 AM
Humility
Solidarity
tradition, etc.Well said ++++

CaBisonFan
10-26-2008, 03:21 AM

Last year the players voted to keep the names off their jerseys. Probably happened this year also. It was discussed by Bohl at a Teammakers luncheon...or in a press conference last year. Not sure about this year.

It's about the team concept...no stars...etc. Bohl leaves it up to them.

Mr. Burgundy
10-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Bohl stated last year that the captains voted it down, and he respected their wishes. He then said, "All complaints can go to Joe Mays." Actually pretty funny.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-27-2008, 07:20 AM
Bohl stated last year that the captains voted it down, and he respected their wishes. He then said, "All complaints can go to Joe Mays." Actually pretty funny.

yeah the players said they play as a team, win as a team, lose as a team, thats why they don't want their names on the back.

borderbison
10-27-2008, 12:49 PM
This, my friends, is why Bison football is Bison football. In this day when so much is about "me" we have guys like Joe Mays, Tyler, & Humber voting to keep the individuality out. Like it has been stated already, this philosophy has been around for a long time and it's great to see the tradition continue. Knowing the tradition, the meaning behind it, and the way past and current players feel about it, lets just hope we don't see those names on the back or the jerseys in the future.

WestDakotaBison
10-27-2008, 03:29 PM
yeah the players said they play as a team, win as a team, lose as a team, thats why they don't want their names on the back.

Which is why I find it hard to believe that attitude doesn't carry over to some of the fans. We're so quick to point a finger at a player and blame an entire loss directly on them. In this case, some are blaming an entire season on one player.

Go_Herd
10-27-2008, 03:58 PM
Which is why I find it hard to believe that attitude doesn't carry over to some of the fans. We're so quick to point a finger at a player and blame an entire loss directly on them. In this case, some are blaming an entire season on one player.

Amen ! :nod: :nod:

cbline
10-27-2008, 05:12 PM
Some of you will likely jump all over me for this, but I also am a Notre Dame fan. Back in the Lou Holtz days, the players did not wear the logos of the bowls in which they were playing. Lou's philosophy was that it was just another game to prepare for and to play. Let the Irish bashing commence!!!

bisonpride
10-28-2008, 03:09 AM

^^^^^ :rofl: Tight Budget!!!!! :rofl: They get what ever they want! It had nothing to do with the football budget and everything to do with everything else moving to DI also and being competative and having a conference.

4mcruenomore
10-28-2008, 03:34 PM
^^^^^ :rofl: Tight Budget!!!!! :rofl: They get what ever they want! It had nothing to do with the football budget and everything to do with everything else moving to DI also and being competative and having a conference.

Well, I generalized a bit, but some things do come to mind.
No locker rooms at your stadium for how many years
No good practice field/facility
That goes along with no new turf at Dacotah field for how many years, thus making our players travel to a class B field to practice, or whatever Casselton is.
Shitty basketball arena for years, now that maybe changing but I hear they aren't putting locker rooms in this one either.
Paint the turf, get some monitors we can see, took how many years for the FFD to get decent sound, tiny little championship banners hanging way up in the rafters. (no, this isn't owned by NDSU, but it bugs me).
I guess my complaints come with some of the facilities, not all NDSU's fault I guess or b/c of lack of budget. Probably stems from conservative Fargo/ND people that won't give up the cash.
I dunno, I'm sure I will think of other things later on. I'm sure the programs "get whatever they want", to a certain degree.