PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Recruits Bison looking at

Bryan
10-24-2008, 02:34 AM
Here are some names the Bison are looking at from Minnesota.

Cole Jirik, DE/LB Northfield (NDSU Offer)
Tate Christopherson, QB Osseo (NDSU Offer)
Brent Cole, OL Warroar (NDSU Offer)
Anders Lee, QB/ATH Edina (NDSU Offer)
Spencer Harris, DE Mpls. DeLasalle (NDSU Offer)
Derrick Engel, WR Chaska (close to offer)
Tyler Gimmestad, OL Marshall (may have offer)
Stephen Johnson, RB Mahtomedi
Jordan Larson, LB St. Paul Central
Marcus Williams, WR/CB Hopkins (also basketball standout)
Terrell Sinkfield, RB Hopkins
Cooper Wahlo Jr., WR Woodbury
Taylor Nelson, TE Minnetonka

CaBisonFan
10-24-2008, 06:18 AM

Thanks Bryan.

Have you seen any of these kids play?

Any real blue-chippers?

SirHinn
10-24-2008, 11:00 AM

Anders Lee has already committed to play Hockey at Harvard.

SDbison
10-24-2008, 05:36 PM

Could someone add weight, height, 40 time or bench max to the above?

BisonNolesFan77
10-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Here is what I could find on them...

Cole Jirik, DE/LB Northfield - 6'4" - 215 LBS. - ESPN DE #149 - (NDSU Offer) - Also considering Western Mich., U of M, NIU, UNI, Buffalo - Has Video on ESPN.com - Goofers want him to Walk On

Tate Christopherson, QB Osseo - 6'1" - 190 LBS. - (NDSU Offer) - Has Video on ESPN.com

Brent Cole, OL Warroar - 6'4" - 225 LBS - (NDSU Offer) - Also plays DE - UND, U of M, and Illinois have shown interest

Anders Lee, QB/ATH Edina (NDSU Offer) - 6'2" - 185 LBS.

Spencer Harris, DE Mpls. DeLasalle (NDSU Offer) - 6'2" - 235 LBS.

Derrick Engel, WR Chaska - 6'2" - 170 LBS. - 4.4 Forty - 36" Vert. - (close to offer) - Iowa St., Miami (OH), NIU, Northwestern, Western Mich, U of M showing interest

Tyler Gimmestad, OL Marshall - 6'4" - 270 LBS - 5.3 Forty - ESPN OG #125 - (may have offer) - Also considering SDSU, Iowa, Iowa St., NIU, UCF - Has Video on ESPN.com

Stephen Johnson, RB Mahtomedi - 6'0" - 185 LBS.

Jordan Larson, LB St. Paul Central - 6'4" - 205 LBS - 4.68 Forty - 285 Bench/460 Squat - 31" Vert - UNI, SDSU, Wisconsin, Houston, Iowa, Iowa St., Kansas St., and Western Mich. have shown interest.

Marcus Williams, WR/CB Hopkins (also basketball standout) - 6'1" - 180 LBS.

Terrell Sinkfield, RB Hopkins - 6'1" - 180 LBS.

Cooper Wahlo Jr., WR Woodbury - 6'2" - 175 LBS - 4.47 Forty

Taylor Nelson, TE Minnetonka - 6'5" - 220 LBS - ESPN TE #121 - Also considering U of M, Iowa - Has video on ESPN.com

Hambone
10-24-2008, 07:31 PM
I've seen Tate Christopherson play, a couple weeks ago against Coon Rapids. It was hard to get a gage on him because he had to scramble a lot because his line didn't give him much time and his receivers both got leveled sometime in the first half and were both a little timid after that. He did throw a really nice ball and he's fairly fast (4.65 40 I believe I heard). I think a couple years in your system he might be a pretty good quarterback. Based what I saw in the star tribune a couple weeks ago NDSU is number 1 on his list. They play Champlin Park tomorrow, which is only a couple blocks from my house, so I'm going to try to get to that one as well.

lakesbison
10-24-2008, 07:53 PM
Tate is someone that could play at NDSU.

the warroad kid is a project.

Spencer Harris is boyz with Cyrus Lemon.... should be a slamdunk.

Engle & Nelson would be AMAZING GETS for NDSU.... cmon coaches!!

bisonhusker
10-24-2008, 07:59 PM
We are also hitting up Omaha/Lincoln more this year. I will post some info later.

BisonNeil
10-24-2008, 09:37 PM
We are also hitting up Omaha/Lincoln more this year. I will post some info later.

Makes sense with Terrance Samuel on the staff. I am sure he knows that area real well.

Bryan
10-25-2008, 12:05 AM
NDSU offered Hopkins RB Terrell Sinkfield this week

A1pigskin
10-25-2008, 12:15 AM
With Phil Hanson reffing does he provide any leads to NDSU?

BisonNeil
10-25-2008, 01:02 AM
BTW, Kevin Vaadeland, the sole verbal the Bison have at this point that we know of, finished his HS career at Park Rapids on Tues night with a loss in the playoffs. His team was terrible this year, but from his LB position he ended up with approx 150 tackles for the season. Not too shabby.

lakesbison
10-26-2008, 05:13 AM
kid is a STUD..

check this out

At Breckenridge Game Tonite. #21. Freshman Running Back Stephen Erlandson

For Them Is Unreal.. 5 9 170 FRESHMAN... ran 2:08 in 800 meters in state track this year...

He'll Be At The Dome Friday At 5pm. Go Check Him Out.

NDSU1980
10-26-2008, 11:30 PM
Anders Lee has already committed to play Hockey at Harvard.

Why would we be interested in anyone who wants to play hockey?????????

twowheels
10-27-2008, 12:59 AM
I know for a fact that recruits read the boards of college’s that are recruiting them. Not to tick anyone off but I have a question to ask the NDSU Bison fans that are so angry about how this season has gone. If you were a recruit would what you read on this board, the trashing of this team, draw you to NDSU or send you away?

56BISON73
10-27-2008, 01:27 AM
I know for a fact that recruits read the boards of college’s that are recruiting them. Not to tick anyone off but I have a question to ask the NDSU Bison fans that are so angry about how this season has gone. If you were a recruit would what you read on this board, the trashing of this team, draw you to NDSU or send you away?

Considering that many have talked about the short coming of the team it might show a recruit that there is an opportuniy to play here.
Also considering all the trash talk that goes on now a days I doubt the bad mouthing of the players would have any negative effect. PL

MAKBison
10-27-2008, 01:30 AM

I would not care....esp. if I came to a game and seen 18,000 + fans going nuts in another sold out dome! What other FCS team can offer that!

WildBill
10-27-2008, 02:06 AM
This isn't bad here. You should see Michigan fans ripping Bryce McNeal on his facebook page

Thunder_Struck
10-27-2008, 02:35 AM
Not to sound like I'm supporting ripping on kids (I'm not in favor of it), but if they can't handle this site do you really want them on your team and asking them to handle what they'll encounter on the field?

SDbison
10-27-2008, 04:47 AM
Not to sound like I'm supporting ripping on kids (I'm not in favor of it), but if they can't handle this site do you really want them on your team and asking them to handle what they'll encounter on the field?
I agree, some fans on this board are so DII......to play for NDSU there are high expectations.

BisonNeil
10-27-2008, 02:26 PM
I know this isn't exactly on topic since this is about a ND kid, but I don't feel like starting another thread. Here is a nice article in today's Forum about Fargo South's Brandon Jemison. He is both a RB and a LB, I believe NDSU has offered him as a LB. According to the article his choices are down to NDSU and the Sue. Hope we get him, if Feeney says he is a stud, that's good enough for me.

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/219886

coldspot
10-27-2008, 07:18 PM
its time for me to come out of the dark shadows of bisonville and make my first post

I know this isn't exactly on topic since this is about a ND kid, but I don't feel like starting another thread. Here is a nice article in today's Forum about Fargo South's Brandon Jemison. He is both a RB and a LB, I believe NDSU has offered him as a LB. According to the article his choices are down to NDSU and the Sue. Hope we get him, if Feeney says he is a stud, that's good enough for me.

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/219886

having watched him play last week against north, he is a strong runner and has moments where he's blazing fast. watching him run a sweep to the open side of the field is a thing of beauty. i didnt get a good look at him on the other side of the ball though. from the sounds of it he's a very good open field tackler. hopefully he goes the same route as horner did and decides to wear green and gold next year.

coach bohl and the gang could also take a look at jd mcdougall from north. theres a kid that isnt afraid to put his head down and hit some people. same running style as a current bison running back we all know and love. a little on the smaller side though (5'10-11" 200 lbs).

CarringtonBison
10-27-2008, 07:20 PM
welcome and good first post!!

sambini
10-27-2008, 09:17 PM
its time for me to come out of the dark shadows of bisonville and make my first post

having watched him play last week against north, he is a strong runner and has moments where he's blazing fast. watching him run a sweep to the open side of the field is a thing of beauty. i didnt get a good look at him on the other side of the ball though. from the sounds of it he's a very good open field tackler. hopefully he goes the same route as horner did and decides to wear green and gold next year.

coach bohl and the gang could also take a look at jd mcdougall from north. theres a kid that isnt afraid to put his head down and hit some people. same running style as a current bison running back we all know and love. a little on the smaller side though (5'10-11" 200 lbs). Welcome+++

lcbison
10-27-2008, 09:22 PM
How about the Grothman boys from Hillsboro. Tearing up ND 9-man. (the best brand of football in the land)

TheBisonator
10-27-2008, 11:16 PM
How about the Grothman boys from Hillsboro. Tearing up ND 9-man. (the best brand of football in the land)

This team needs North Dakota 9-Man guys like it needs a collective hole in the head. Start hitting up the TC, Chicago, Omaha, etc.

(On edit: I don't care if this post offended anyone. if we want to be a national champ contender, we need physical, talented guys, and ND isn't where you'll find them. BTW, I could round up a bunch of special ed Mpls. suburban high schoolers and they could beat an ND 9-man team. ND 9-man is the lowest of the low.)

CarringtonBison
10-27-2008, 11:22 PM
This team needs North Dakota 9-Man guys like it needs a collective hole in the head. Start hitting up the TC, Chicago, Omaha, etc.

(On edit: I don't care if this post offended anyone. if we want to be a national champ contender, we need physical, talented guys, and ND isn't where you'll find them. BTW, I could round up a bunch of special ed Mpls. suburban high schoolers and they could beat an ND 9-man team. ND 9-man is the lowest of the low.)

lakes figured out bisonator's password!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BisonNeil
10-27-2008, 11:24 PM

Didn't Belquist play 9-man in ND?

Boyer 9-man in SD?

Gratzek 9-man in MN?

Sczepanski also played 9-man, was a walk on and beat out Hazley-Freeman, a scholarship player from Houston, TX, a city which probably has more DI football players in that city than all of MN.

Not sure I agree with your statement.

lcbison
10-28-2008, 12:26 AM

And I'm sure you a just an athletic speciman. Would you be the QB of this suburban Sped team, or would you more than likely get cut. As you probably did in Jr High, or im guessing you were the towel boy.

IzzyFlexion
10-28-2008, 12:34 AM

Then I don't care if I offend you........
each
it
and
eye

lakesbison
10-28-2008, 05:03 AM
bisonator!!! ha ha...

yea.. those 9 man players should be invited as walkons and yes, some should make it to our roster and even play.

but people... this is BIG TIME ATHLETICS HERE.

we need 90% baller's from Twin Cities, Chicago, Texas, Cali, Florida..

I mean... we want a top caliber FCS team.... not a NCC team.

This year should be painfully obvious that we need MORE TALENT.. MORE SPEED. PERIOD.

UTH
10-28-2008, 05:32 AM

The Velva Pipeline would like to have a word with you...http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/Boxingsmilies.gif

ndsubison1
10-28-2008, 05:54 AM

eat one... Belquist was a nine man player... Didn't Lee Vandal play 9 man as well? Keith Buckman played nine man... they seem to be doing alright... keep drinking the kool-aid, although I do agree with needing to recruit in more football talent-rich areas than just ND.

norm4life
10-28-2008, 06:13 AM
The Velva Pipeline would like to have a word with you...http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/Boxingsmilies.gif

fyi...Velva = 11-man Class A

NDSUFan_Sav
10-28-2008, 06:45 AM
On edit: I don't care if this post offended anyone. if we want to be a national champ contender, we need physical, talented guys, and ND isn't where you'll find them.

hmmmm???? Tyler Roehl isn't talented isn't physical???? guessing you were just talking about 9-man, but there are some big physical guys from small town 9 man schools, due to the farm and most have great motivation, not saying just get 9man, but don't overlook one because they play 9man or are from ND.

UTH
10-28-2008, 01:43 PM
fyi...Velva = 11-man Class A

Golly, you got me. Point stands...

coldspot
10-28-2008, 02:20 PM
some of those small town kids are or can be just as good and athletic as the kids from the twin cities/chicago/omaha/etc. but, i think the big difference is that those small town kids dont have some of the skills and knowledge that the city kids do. the big city kids get to play against a higher level of competition and training methods and facilities. the small town kids just dont come as shiny and polished as the city kids and they need to learn those skills and adjust to the higher level of play. unfortunately for them, more often than not, this turns off coaches and scouts.

IzzyFlexion
10-28-2008, 02:36 PM
some of those small town kids are or can be just as good and athletic as the kids from the twin cities/chicago/omaha/etc. but, i think the big difference is that those small town kids dont have some of the skills and knowledge that the city kids do. the big city kids get to play against a higher level of competition and training methods and facilities. the small town kids just dont come as shiny and polished as the city kids and they need to learn those skills and adjust to the higher level of play. unfortunately for them, more often than not, this turns off coaches and scouts.

Sadly, most of the great athletes of these small schools (and getting smaller every year) will always be lost in obscurity for a number of reasons including those that coldspot accurately pointed out above. I can tell you from personal experience that the most glaring deficiency is the number of coaches and staff (usually one or two guys). Clearly, there's nothing anyone can do do fix that since enrollments continue to decline. These coaches are jacks of all football trades: offense, defense, special teams, scheduling, field maintenence, trainer, etc. There simply aren't enough teachers, mentors, and hours in the day to develop the talent in order to prepare these underserved athletes for the next level.

rutlandbison
10-28-2008, 03:30 PM
So Caleb Nelson who plays 9-man football for Sargent Central shouldn't be getting recruited by NDSU because he plays 9-man? I mean he's only 6'3" 260 lbs and runs a 4.7 forty. But your right we can go to Texas and find a guy who's 6'31/2" 265 lbs and runs a 4.65 forty.

bisonhusker
10-28-2008, 03:36 PM
Qvale from Williston (signed with Nebraska) is playing against Fargo North this week. NDSU has done a great job getting the ND kids that can play at this level. Qvale is better than this level, and most kids aren't good enough to play at this level. Is there a kid that NDSU has overlooked that has went on to be great someplace else??? I think they are doing a great job.

roadwarrior
10-28-2008, 03:37 PM
So Caleb Nelson who plays 9-man football for Sargent Central shouldn't be getting recruited by NDSU because he plays 9-man? I mean he's only 6'3" 260 lbs and runs a 4.7 forty. But your right we can go to Texas and find a guy who's 6'31/2" 265 lbs and runs a 4.65 forty.

There is a coaching staff located in the Fargodome that doesnt buy into the big city recruiting philosophy, so we will continue to see the best North Dakota kids playing for the Bison.

OldBison
10-28-2008, 05:40 PM
the big city kids get to play against a higher level of competition and training methods and facilities. the small town kids just dont come as shiny and polished as the city kids and they need to learn those skills and adjust to the higher level of play. unfortunately for them, more often than not, this turns off coaches and scouts.

Yeah, like Hakeem Bourne-McFarlane. He was shiny and polished. We need more players like him, no question.

OldBison
10-28-2008, 05:42 PM
[QUOTE=bisonhusker;224889]Qvale from Williston (signed with Nebraska)[QUOTE]

He has only verballed. Signing day isn't until next Feb.

MN_BISON
10-28-2008, 05:50 PM
I don't know, call me crazy but I don't care if a kid is from Cavalier, Houston, Chicago, Edina or Beaver Dam as long as he can play the game at this level. I'll leave the judgement up to the coaches and if he happened to play 9 man football in ND all the better, always good to see a small town player do well in the program. Who was the WR from Antler, ND? Doesn't get much smaller than that.

beatle76
10-28-2008, 06:29 PM
Everybody's so harsh here. There's 2 obvious things about this thread.
1. The title is about Minnesota recruits because that's where most of our players come from.
2. The reason people are hating on ND 9-man football is because it is what it is. There's a much smaller talent pool to pick from and most of the potential that there actually is happens to be very raw due to the lower access to good facilities and coaches.

Can we just get passed the obvious here?

gopherz
10-29-2008, 01:50 AM
Why would we be interested in anyone who wants to play hockey?????????

Anders is a stud. Single handedly tore up South at the start of the season for something like 5 TDs rushing from the QB spot. Not too sure how sure he is with that Harvard commitment, as he's a great football and hockey prospect. I know the Gophers have shown a lot of interest in him for hockey.

CaBisonFan
10-29-2008, 02:34 AM
Everybody's so harsh here. There's 2 obvious things about this thread.
1. The title is about Minnesota recruits because that's where most of our players come from.
2. The reason people are hating on ND 9-man football is because it is what it is. There's a much smaller talent pool to pick from and most of the potential that there actually is happens to be very raw due to the lower access to good facilities and coaches.

Can we just get passed the obvious here?

Harshness has grown as the season has digressed. Tempers are high. We all 'do' need to calm down.

Some call it reality.

I call it pointless.

CaBisonFan
10-29-2008, 02:35 AM
Anders is a stud. Single handedly tore up South at the start of the season for something like 5 TDs rushing from the QB spot. Not too sure how sure he is with that Harvard commitment, as he's a great football and hockey prospect. I know the Gophers have shown a lot of interest in him for hockey.

So...just how good is he at hockey? Is he a major 'talent?' If he is...I'll guess that he'll take the hockey route.

Civil06
10-29-2008, 02:45 AM

I'm sorry, but unless you're guaranteed a pro contract after playing football somewhere or playing Hockey for the U, take the Harvard education.

BraxtonT
10-29-2008, 03:08 AM
I don't know, call me crazy but I don't care if a kid is from Cavalier, Houston, Chicago, Edina or Beaver Dam as long as he can play the game at this level. I'll leave the judgement up to the coaches and if he happened to play 9 man football in ND all the better, always good to see a small town player do well in the program. Who was the WR from Antler, ND? Doesn't get much smaller than that.

Kelly Artz?

sambini
10-29-2008, 04:15 AM
Kelly Artz?Thats right+++++

d3boys
10-29-2008, 09:56 PM
So...just how good is he at hockey? Is he a major 'talent?' If he is...I'll guess that he'll take the hockey route.

one of the better players in minnesota high school

unbison
10-30-2008, 10:33 AM
hey lakes........ i believe there is one starter at least from stephen argyle on your defense..... lets give it up ........ this is not big time athletics.... the big ten is big time the pac 10 is big time.....the sec and acc now they are BIG TIME! the summit and the Missouri Valley...... they do not exactly pop into your head when thinking big time college athletics.... sorry to burst your bubble

gopherz
10-30-2008, 04:39 PM

It all depends on your definition of major. It's hard to know with hockey, and if he pursues that route I'm sure he'll end up drafted. Only seen him play football once but he's a pretty good talent, he'd be great for the Bison but I just can't see it happening.

gopherz
10-30-2008, 04:41 PM
I'm sorry, but unless you're guaranteed a pro contract after playing football somewhere or playing Hockey for the U, take the Harvard education.

Exactly right. And I'm sure that's what he'll end up doing. Maybe I'm biased but I'd play hockey for the U in a second if that opportunity arose compared to going to Harvard to do the same. Pro football is highly unlikely for so many, the odds are much worse than hockey in regards to top tier colleges.

lakesbison
11-01-2008, 12:26 AM
Remember The Name ... Stephan Erlandson..,,breckenridge....freshman R.b,.,, Gotta Watch.the.moves On.this Kid On.friday Sports...,,,,,,its Amazin

CaBisonFan
11-01-2008, 12:44 AM
hey lakes........ i believe there is one starter at least from stephen argyle on your defense..... lets give it up ........ this is not big time athletics.... the big ten is big time the pac 10 is big time.....the sec and acc now they are BIG TIME! the summit and the Missouri Valley...... they do not exactly pop into your head when thinking big time college athletics.... sorry to burst your bubble

The major conferences are the big-time...obviously.

Still...the mystique of complete supremacy has been burst...especially without some of the lower to middle level programs within those conferences.

On the average...Minnesota fights for a spot in the upper half of the Big Eleven. I'd call them a mid-level FBS program. The upper level FCS teams are very capable of playing with teams at the mid-FBS level.

As it always will be...the games are always at the FBS home stadium...which kind of skews the superiority. It's called home field advantage.

It would be fun to see some of these teams travel to places like NDSU, App. State, James Madison, Montana, etc.

The very elite teams in the FBS (10-15 each year) are a LOT better than anyone else.

The lower teams in the FCS could not play with FBS teams. They can't play with the better FCS teams either.

Sure was fun to beat up on an FBS programs two years in a row. Too bad the score didn't show just how bad the pounding was.

lakesbison
11-01-2008, 07:13 AM
13-125 2td's for breckenridge freshman erlandson....hi.lite reel runs.....bohl...lock him up now!!!

d3boys
11-01-2008, 04:46 PM
13-125 2td's for breckenridge freshman erlandson....hi.lite reel runs.....bohl...lock him up now!!!

wow and he runs a 2:08 800
I think we should wait before we crown him your new dj

Jdubs21
11-04-2008, 12:36 AM
do we have any verbals yet?

Bryan
11-04-2008, 01:49 AM
Anders Lee wants to play football.

sambini
11-04-2008, 02:18 AM
Anders Lee wants to play football.
Do we have a shot at geting him?

jdoif
11-13-2008, 12:19 AM
how many commits does bohl have right now?? and when is ND going to a preps site on rivals??

roadwarrior
11-13-2008, 12:27 AM
how many commits does bohl have right now??

one verbal as far as we know

Bryan
11-13-2008, 02:17 AM
With the QB Gray passing his test and enrolling at MN in Jan., that takes up Anders spot so he won't be going to MN. The more teams find out he wants to play football and not hockey, the more offers he will get. I would say NDSU has as good a chance as anybody with MN out of the picture.

larson311
11-13-2008, 02:35 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=58930&season=2009&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d589 30%26season%3d2009

BisonNeil
11-13-2008, 04:26 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=58930&season=2009&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d589 30%26season%3d2009

That was one hell of an informative link!!!!

lakesbison
11-13-2008, 04:48 AM
"HATED IT"//////// gotta love "in living color"!

larson311
11-13-2008, 02:01 PM
That was one hell of an informative link!!!!

haha...i know right

OnTheFifty
11-14-2008, 02:39 AM
Do we have a shot at geting him?

Here is a recent interview with him. He mentions NDSU recruiting him as a QB. But it sounds like he wants to play something\somewhere at the U.

http://www.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=892

OldBison
11-14-2008, 02:20 PM
Here is a recent interview with him. He mentions NDSU recruiting him as a QB. But it sounds like he wants to play something\somewhere at the U.

http://www.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=892

I think the most informative Q & A was the second to last:

GH: If you had to guess which sport, hockey or football, you might be leaning toward right now, do you have any ideas?
AL: I’m completely up in the air. I know they’re figuring out their [quarterback] situation fairly soon now, figuring out if MarQueis Gray is eligible, if he got into school. [They might say] ‘we’re gonna take him,’ and hey, that’s great, but I’ll probably end up playing hockey then.

So I would say no chance he is interested in playing QB at NDSU.