PDA

View Full Version : Matt Voigtlander?

BraxtonT
10-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Other than 'the coaches know what they are doing', can anybody offer up a different explanation as to why the guy has had exactly one touch of the ball in the last two games? By the way, that touch of the ball went for about 45 yards.

He is still on special teams, so I know he is not hurt.

It is quite discouraging to see an offense stink it up as bad as we have the last couple of weeks and not try some players that have previously shown a lot of potential.

Put him in, let him play. If he sucks, I'll be the first to admit that he doesn't warrant any more playing time than the others. From what I've seen, though, I believe that is unlikely to happen.

roadwarrior
10-23-2008, 07:49 PM
I'll second that motion!

rutlandbison
10-23-2008, 07:52 PM
YES! I don't understand it either.

BisManBison
10-23-2008, 08:00 PM
I agree. And how come we haven't seen that play or that formation again? Or did I miss it somewhere along the way?

tcbison
10-23-2008, 08:40 PM
No explanation...it just don't make sense. Kid is only averaging 9.1 yards per carry.

Bison"FANatic"
10-23-2008, 09:03 PM
I just don't think 9.1 ypc is going to cut it in the FCS.;) The kid has impressed me this year. I hope to see more of him also.

X-Factor
10-23-2008, 09:40 PM
Other than 'the coaches know what they are doing', can anybody offer up a different explanation as to why the guy has had exactly one touch of the ball in the last two games? By the way, that touch of the ball went for about 45 yards.

It is quite discouraging to see an offense stink it up as bad as we have the last couple of weeks and not try some players that have previously shown a lot of potential.

Put him in, let him play. If he sucks, I'll be the first to admit that he doesn't warrant any more playing time than the others. From what I've seen, though, I believe that is unlikely to happen.

Matt V definitely needs to get more playing time he just has a nack for finding the holes and hitting them head on, but that 45 yard carry wasn't all his doing. If you watched the play develop, there was a huge hole in the left side and any one of our fullbacks or runningbacks would have turned that into a huge gain.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-23-2008, 11:54 PM
Refresh my memory please....

Against Youngstown Paschall and Roehl both were going to be sidelined and McNorton and Voigtlander were going to get the carries, yes he Voigtlander was 5carries for 40 yards, but if I recall we couldn't do much the 1st half and they brought roehl in and he ended up getting over 100 yards the 2nd half

Were we passing the ball more the 1st half? cuz Mcnorton had like 6 carries for 15 yards. What was wrong with the play calling.

99Bison
10-24-2008, 01:07 AM
Personally just think it's because our offense hasn't controlled the ball much. Really doubt your going to bench Roehl or P2 just to play him. P2 has been running tough for a few weeks in a row now.

tcbison
10-24-2008, 01:39 AM
Personally just think it's because our offense hasn't controlled the ball much. Really doubt your going to bench Roehl or P2 just to play him. P2 has been running tough for a few weeks in a row now.

Who says you have to bench anyone? You can easily spread some carries around and mix it up a little bit. Nothing wrong with that. Lots of programs play more than just one RB. So far he has shown to be a playmaker. I say get him into the game.

99Bison
10-24-2008, 01:41 AM
What I am saying is that it's hard to "get him in" when you run about 30 plays instead of say 60.

56BISON73
10-24-2008, 02:07 AM
What I am saying is that it's hard to "get him in" when you run about 30 plays instead of say 60.

Very good point. PL

CaBisonFan
10-24-2008, 03:11 AM
[quote=BraxtonT;223120]Other than 'the coaches know what they are doing', can anybody offer up a different explanation as to why the guy has had exactly one touch of the ball in the last two games? By the way, that touch of the ball went for about 45 yards.

Most good running attacks have a 'running back by committee' philosophy. With WIU being my only game to see in person, one of the few really exciting parts of the game was the Voigtlander carry. Seems to have a nose for finding the hole, slashing to it, and going downhill. He's also not likely to be 'keyed' on.

It looks a lot like the scenario with Steve Walker that last few years. Play the starters until they drop...literally.

Over the past few years this has been my only real criticism of the coaching staff. There are other problems now...but some of them have to do with the seeming lack of desire to give younger players 'real' experience.

56BISON73
10-24-2008, 03:25 AM
[quote=BraxtonT;223120]Other than 'the coaches know what they are doing', can anybody offer up a different explanation as to why the guy has had exactly one touch of the ball in the last two games? By the way, that touch of the ball went for about 45 yards.

Most good running attacks have a 'running back by committee' philosophy. With WIU being my only game to see in person, one of the few really exciting parts of the game was the Voigtlander carry. Seems to have a nose for finding the hole, slashing to it, and going downhill. He's also not likely to be 'keyed' on.

It looks a lot like the scenario with Steve Walker that last few years. Play the starters until they drop...literally.

Over the past few years this has been my only real criticism of the coaching staff. There are other problems now...but some of them have to do with the seeming lack of desire to give younger players 'real' experience.

Thats why there are starters and back ups. Starters play. You just dont rotate people through as you dont get into playing shape and you dont get into a ryhtm. When they do rotate players it has more to do with the situation. This isnt just confined too NDSU .EVERY team more or less is that way.
People are just grasping at straws to try and find a reason for the current won-lose record. PL

CaBisonFan
10-24-2008, 03:42 AM
[quote=CaBisonFan;223224]

Thats why there are starters and back ups. Starters play. You just dont rotate people through as you dont get into playing shape and you dont get into a ryhtm. When they do rotate players it has more to do with the situation. This isnt just confined too NDSU .EVERY team more or less is that way.
People are just grasping at straws to try and find a reason for the current won-lose record. PL

During the days of our great running attacks the backs rotated, with the starters getting 2/3 or 3/4 of the carries. They were given a break pretty often actually. There were 5 or 6 backs used during crucial parts of the game.

If one of them went down, there was little to no change in the production. There were the star backs, and those who supported them on the field. It tended to keep a lot of people alert. Our sideline is not alert.

SirHinn
10-24-2008, 03:44 AM
Would this really be an issue if the Bison were 5 and 2? The guy is 3rd on the depth chart, anyone halfback who is 3rd on the depth chart clearly isn't going to see the ball a lot.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
10-24-2008, 03:51 AM
Lets give the coaches some credit here boys, they have seen all the running backs for 50 practices or so. I like to think they have a good idea who is getting it done in practice. That person will get the reps in the games.....very simple

CaBisonFan
10-24-2008, 04:16 AM
Lets give the coaches some credit here boys, they have seen all the running backs for 50 practices or so. I like to think they have a good idea who is getting it done in practice. That person will get the reps in the games.....very simple

Walker was viewed as an average practice player.

But you're right...if the team wasn't playing like they're asleep...we wouldn't be talking about any problems.

HerdBot
10-24-2008, 04:42 AM

Solid player so far. Much better than DJ and gaining on Paschal. I think he's faster.

BraxtonT
10-24-2008, 05:04 AM
Refresh my memory please....

Against Youngstown Paschall and Roehl both were going to be sidelined and McNorton and Voigtlander were going to get the carries, yes he Voigtlander was 5carries for 40 yards, but if I recall we couldn't do much the 1st half and they brought roehl in and he ended up getting over 100 yards the 2nd half

Were we passing the ball more the 1st half? cuz Mcnorton had like 6 carries for 15 yards. What was wrong with the play calling.

DJ got the 1st and 3rd down plays, while Matt got the 2nd down plays. DJ would get very little on 1st down, so it was generally a passing situation when Matt was in for 2nd down.

BraxtonT
10-24-2008, 05:11 AM

Great, we can crown ourselves the "2008 FCS National Practice Champions"!!

BraxtonT
10-24-2008, 05:15 AM
[quote=CaBisonFan;223224]

I'm glad Don Morton, Earle Solomonson, and Rocky Hager didn't subscribe to that philosophy. I would conservatively say that four runningbacks per game were getting carries in games back then. It wasn't just garbage time, either.

HerdBot
10-24-2008, 05:42 PM
[QUOTE=56BISON73;223228]

I'm glad Don Morton, Earle Solomonson, and Rocky Hager didn't subscribe to that philosophy. I would conservatively say that four runningbacks per game were getting carries in games back then. It wasn't just garbage time, either.

True but we were an option team that threw the ball 9 times per game so the need for fresh runningbacks was more important.

56BISON73
10-24-2008, 05:45 PM
[quote=BraxtonT;223258]

True but we were an option team that threw the ball 9 times per game so the need for fresh runningbacks was more important.

Something strange is going on as I didnt make this post----

Originally Posted by 56BISON73 http://www.bisonville.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?p=223228#post223228)

99Bison
10-24-2008, 07:25 PM
[quote=gabe;223331]

Something strange is going on as I didnt make this post----

Originally Posted by 56BISON73 http://www.bisonville.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?p=223228#post223228)

The last ending quote mark got deleted... It was TB's.

bisonmike2
10-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Great, we can crown ourselves the "2008 FCS National Practice Champions"!!

I like it! I think we need a new banner, boys!:)

56BISON73
10-24-2008, 08:03 PM
Great, we can crown ourselves the "2008 FCS National Message Board Champions"!!

I fixed it for you. LOL PL

Bisonfan1
10-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Thanx for that humor PL !!!! That is good. Original was good also.

A1pigskin
10-25-2008, 12:29 AM
The kid has impressed me every time he touches the ball. I think he is a better runner than DJ; however, I think DJ has improved from the beginning of the season. DJ still dances but doing a better job at using his blockers. Voigtlander seems to have a natural talent.

BisonNeil
10-25-2008, 01:04 AM
Voit has improved a lot over the season. However, he is still #3 behind Roehl and Paschall, IMO.

NDSUstudent
10-25-2008, 01:07 AM
Voit should have a good chance to make his mark next year, and I'm sure he'll be in line for a few carries against Indiana State.

BisoninNWMN
10-25-2008, 12:29 PM
The kid has impressed me every time he touches the ball. I think he is a better runner than DJ; however, I think DJ has improved from the beginning of the season. DJ still dances but doing a better job at using his blockers. Voigtlander seems to have a natural talent.

DJ has improved our kick-off returns.

Voigt is better than DJ at reading the hole and hitting it. He'll give PP a run for the #1 next year, IMO.