PDA

View Full Version : The QB this week for Ill State

NDSUFan_Sav
10-23-2008, 06:45 AM
Bohl said that Mertens has looked good this week in practice, so he'll be the starter for this weekend.

Good Luck Mertens!!! Lead the Bison to victory and take control of the offense and that huddle!!!

94 Bison
10-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Good Luck Nick!! We'll be pulling for you!!

Mr. Burgundy
10-23-2008, 11:53 AM
I hope a redshirt is not pulled for mop up duty!

sambini
10-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Good Luck Nick++++

Bisonfan1
10-23-2008, 12:04 PM
I cant even comment on this, I tried.

rutlandbison
10-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Bohl said that Mertens has looked good this week in practice, so he'll be the starter for this weekend.

Good Luck Mertens!!! Lead the Bison to victory and take control of the offense and that huddle!!!

Wow, didn;t he look good before the season and in spring as well? I dont like it.

THEsocalledfan
10-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Hey, let's remember that this season is pretty much shot, and it would be a shame to pull a redshirt if not needed. I vote for Mertens for thick or thin and this point.

TransAmBison
10-23-2008, 12:51 PM
They say that Jackson hasn't learned the playbook enough, hasn't progressed. What is their regimen? Something like this:

Day 1: Introduced to the playbook.
Day 2: Take the playbook on a first date. Nothing too fancy, maybe a movie and a malt. Back home by 10 pm.
Day 3. We learn the forward pass.
Day 4. We introduce the football
Day 5. We pass with the football
Day 6. We introduce a wide receiver. You only need one. Any more are just a distraction.
Day 7. We introduce a play.
Day 8. QB confused, take playbood on a second date.
Day 9. Introduce handing off to running back.
Day 10. Introduce running back.
Day 11. Reteach the forward pass.
Day 12. Teach one more pass play. It is all you will need. Defenses will not see this coming.
Day 13-present QB tries to master two pass plays and cannot progress.

msvjcpa
10-23-2008, 01:26 PM
Hey, let's remember that this season is pretty much shot, and it would be a shame to pull a redshirt if not needed. I vote for Mertens for thick or thin and this point.

Guys, we've got to get off the red shirt bandwagon. The fact of the matter is we aren't that deep. When you're not that deep you have to play true freshmen. That's the bottom line. We can't throw away a season just because we don't want to play a true freshman. We have to win as many games as we can. We can't afford to throw away a season. Too much is riding on it like fan support, donations, etc.

SDbison
10-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Boy am I looking forward to another game with at least two interceptions of crap passes from Mertens. Oh, maybe he will come up with another gem of a performance with 3, 4 or possibly even 5 picks! Mertens had his shot. He has demoralized the entire team and fan base. Sorry, but I think the QB, i.e. team leader, is supposed to rise to the occasion. So far he has failed. When a leader fails he brings down everyone who looks up to him. Big deal, he practiced OK this week. I am sure he did well enough in past practices too. So I suppose the gameplan will be the same old crap to protect Mertens from passing to the wrong team. Can you say run, run, screen pass? Defensive coordinators have to be loving Nick Mertens. Makes it easy to prepare plus the added bonus of turnnovers handed to you. I don't understand why the team has to suffer more, put the damn redshirt and give Jose a chance. If he chokes too then at least the coaches know they have to work on finding a transfer for next year!

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Boy am I looking forward to another game with at least two interceptions of crap passes from Mertens. Oh, maybe he will come up with another gem of a performance with 3, 4 or possibly even 5 picks! Mertens had his shot. He has demoralized the entire team and fan base. Sorry, but I think the QB, i.e. team leader, is supposed to rise to the occasion. So far he has failed. When a leader fails he brings down everyone who looks up to him. Big deal, he practiced OK this week. I am sure he did well enough in past practices too. So I suppose the gameplan will be the same old crap to protect Mertens from passing to the wrong team. Can you say run, run, screen pass? Defensive coordinators have to be loving Nick Mertens. Makes it easy to prepare plus the added bonus of turnnovers handed to you. I don't understand why the team has to suffer more, put the damn redshirt and give Jose a chance. If he chokes too then at least the coaches know they have to work on finding a transfer for next year!

You took the words right out of my mouth.

With this move the coaches are basically saying they've given up on the season, because no sane person can reasonably expect any more wins with Mertens as the QB. The big question for the season is......if Mertens looks good in pratice, then how bad is TJ?

SDbison
10-23-2008, 05:50 PM
Wow, no replies regarding my last post from all you Merten lovers, and keep the red shirt on Jose supporters? Too much truth in my post to refute? Sorry I hate to put blame mostly on the QB, but it is the truth. Why the coaches are saving one potentially good year out of four for Jose given the current situation is beyond me. How it must suck to be one of the seniors knowing the coaches don't have the balls to make a necessary change!

HerdBot
10-23-2008, 05:54 PM

I hope he does well. Hopefully this last week makes him work harder. If not, Jose could step in and help.

56BISON73
10-23-2008, 06:04 PM

Ouch. Alot of truth there. PL

SDbison
10-23-2008, 06:16 PM
I hope he does well. Hopefully this last week makes him work harder. If not, Jose could step in and help.
Got to love your philosophy Gabe (now we are relying on hope)......Jose could step in, what after Mertens essentially loses the game again? Do the coaches wait until he misses 4 open receivers and throws 3 picks? Are 3 missed passes and one pick acceptable performance for the first half? If he screws up again maybe need to give Mertens one last chance after Illinois State? Or will it not be clear yet and need to see if he can lose a game to Indiana State at home. Face it, he doesn't have the capabilities for DI college football.

BraxtonT
10-23-2008, 06:43 PM

Yeah, what he said!!!

Last line in bold is the absolute reason for giving Mohler the opportunity.

Practice is important, but NOTHING in practice reveals what an athlete brings to the table when the arena is full and the emotions begin to kick in.

Bisonfan1
10-23-2008, 07:28 PM
Got to love your philosophy Gabe (now we are relying on hope)......Jose could step in, what after Mertens essentially loses the game again? Do the coaches wait until he misses 4 open receivers and throws 3 picks? Are 3 missed passes and one pick acceptable performance for the first half? If he screws up again maybe need to give Mertens one last chance after Illinois State? Or will it not be clear yet and need to see if he can lose a game to Indiana State at home. Face it, he doesn't have the capabilities for DI college football.

If your predictions here are accurate, please do not call me, I believe I was kicking the boom box out the door last game when you called, and I would really like to keep my TV intact until the end of the season. Thanx for your support of Bison Football.

THEsocalledfan
10-23-2008, 08:43 PM
Wow, no replies regarding my last post from all you Merten lovers, and keep the red shirt on Jose supporters? Too much truth in my post to refute? Sorry I hate to put blame mostly on the QB, but it is the truth. Why the coaches are saving one potentially good year out of four for Jose given the current situation is beyond me. How it must suck to be one of the seniors knowing the coaches don't have the balls to make a necessary change!

No one can dispute what you say is true. I just hate to waste a redshirt and I am sure Bohl has the same concerns. Seems like Bohl has the right idea of pulling it if Mertens can't get it together. He seems to be saying that this is Merten's last chance and at least a line in the sand has been drawn......

90BISON
10-23-2008, 09:28 PM
No one can dispute what you say is true. I just hate to waste a redshirt and I am sure Bohl has the same concerns. Seems like Bohl has the right idea of pulling it if Mertens can't get it together. He seems to be saying that this is Merten's last chance and at least a line in the sand has been drawn......

....more like this is your very, very, very, very lastest chance!;)

NDSUFan_Sav
10-23-2008, 10:32 PM

LMFAO, funniest thing i've read.....

WHAT ARE YOU WASTING IT ON...what if you pull it mohler plays team goes 4-0, you realize you have a future QB and are looking good going into 09, the kid needs more experience then just practice. If he doesn't play and ends up being our QB next year, can we afford the ISU loss? yes, but do we want to? NO, we want to get a win, would experience help the chances? Probably, and now what if he isn't the guy we need, what if all the qbs we have now are not the ones we want, we need to recruit ASAP, I don't want to sit around next year with the same damn problem with no depth in QB.

So after thinking about all of that, you're telling me pulling a redshirt right now is a waste.....well thought process you had!!!

THEsocalledfan
10-23-2008, 11:24 PM
LMFAO, funniest thing i've read.....

WHAT ARE YOU WASTING IT ON...what if you pull it mohler plays team goes 4-0, you realize you have a future QB and are looking good going into 09, the kid needs more experience then just practice. If he doesn't play and ends up being our QB next year, can we afford the ISU loss? yes, but do we want to? NO, we want to get a win, would experience help the chances? Probably, and now what if he isn't the guy we need, what if all the qbs we have now are not the ones we want, we need to recruit ASAP, I don't want to sit around next year with the same damn problem with no depth in QB.

So after thinking about all of that, you're telling me pulling a redshirt right now is a waste.....well thought process you had!!!

So you are telling me, that if he is a stud, you would rather lose him a year early? That is what I am trying to say. That is not a stupid argument as you seem to be suggesting.

I have no argument against your thoughts on him being a dud. I think we just need to finish above .500, and we may be able to do that with Mertens. You are entitled your opinion; this is mine. I want to build for the future.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-23-2008, 11:32 PM
So you are telling me, that if he is a stud, you would rather lose him a year early? That is what I am trying to say. That is not a stupid argument as you seem to be suggesting.

I have no argument against your thoughts on him being a dud. I think we just need to finish above .500, and we may be able to do that with Mertens. You are entitled your opinion; this is mine. I want to build for the future.

I'm just stirring things up :D

Do i think its terrible to play Mertens the rest of the year, absolutely not, is it right? WHO KNOWS? What I am saying even if Mohler is a good qb i think we need to do whatever we need to get above .500 and to go into next year with a good note and for him to have experience, rather not play come in vs ISU and struggle then lose confidence, which i think has happened with Mertens, he had a huge roll and once things didn't go our way he took it on himself I feel and led to lack of confidence, If he throws a pick early vs ISU this weekend, you can't tell me he will be confident in himself.

You and I both want to be .500, if it takes putting in mohler do it, if you can do it with Mertens do it. I just want this team to play to their potential. The only time I kinda felt it was 2nd half vs SIU, some of Youngstown and parts of the Wyoming game.

Didn't mean to cause harm with your opinion, I am not necessarily right. like you said just an opinion.

56BISON73
10-23-2008, 11:44 PM

Gabe
It has NOTHING to do with working hard. It has everything to do with making good decisions while PLAYING the game. You cant coach that. You cant coach leadership. You cant coach instincts and other intangibles that some have and others dont at this level. PL

NDSUFan_Sav
10-23-2008, 11:48 PM
Gabe
It has NOTHING to do with working hard. It has everything to do with making good decisions while PLAYING the game. You cant coach that. You cant coach leadership. You cant coach instincts and other intangibles that some have and others dont at this level. PL

Exactly PL, not sure why people don't realize that yet.

and when Bohl states, mertens has stuff most qbs don't have or can't be taught it, what do you think he's referring to as???

how he stands behind the center and then receives the ball from the Center??? :D NOOOOO

It has to do with field awareness and decision making!!!!

Thanks PL for the help on trying to keep getting this out.

heckler
10-24-2008, 12:25 AM
....more like this is your very, very, very, very lastest chance!;)

By the time I count to ten you better be playing better or it's a timeout for you... one...

ndsubison1
10-24-2008, 01:30 AM
i agree with starting mertens this week, but once he starts sucking Mohler will be in there... it's just a matter of when our offense steps on the field... I don't think the coaches really want to play Mohler, but they need the wins obviously

McBison
10-24-2008, 01:37 AM
i agree with starting mertens this week, but once he starts sucking Mohler will be in there... it's just a matter of when our offense steps on the field... I don't think the coaches really want to play Mohler, but they need the wins obviously

I would rather lose with Mohler then lose again with Merti. I just want Bohl to try something. I'm not worried about his 1 year of eligibility. Who says hes our qb in four years, its like putting the cart before the horse. If we need him this weekend/next weekend thats what he is there for. IMO. We need to win these last four games play offs or not.

ndsubison1
10-24-2008, 03:06 AM
I would rather lose with Mohler then lose again with Merti. I just want Bohl to try something. I'm not worried about his 1 year of eligibility. Who says hes our qb in four years, its like putting the cart before the horse. If we need him this weekend/next weekend thats what he is there for. IMO. We need to win these last four games play offs or not.

i know that, as soon as Mertens starts struggling on Sat., that's if he does Mohler will be in there... they need the wins. If Mertens does well :praying:, then we don't have to waste the redshirt, at least for that game

94 Bison
10-24-2008, 11:53 AM
I hope the rest of our offense shows up to help him out

BisonCardinal
10-24-2008, 12:13 PM
i know that, as soon as Mertens starts struggling on Sat., that's if he does Mohler will be in there... they need the wins. If Mertens does well :praying:, then we don't have to waste the redshirt, at least for that game

It will be interesting to see what struggle means for Coach Bohl, a couple three and outs, an interception, tipped pass?

THEsocalledfan
10-24-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm just stirring things up :D

Do i think its terrible to play Mertens the rest of the year, absolutely not, is it right? WHO KNOWS? What I am saying even if Mohler is a good qb i think we need to do whatever we need to get above .500 and to go into next year with a good note and for him to have experience, rather not play come in vs ISU and struggle then lose confidence, which i think has happened with Mertens, he had a huge roll and once things didn't go our way he took it on himself I feel and led to lack of confidence, If he throws a pick early vs ISU this weekend, you can't tell me he will be confident in himself.

You and I both want to be .500, if it takes putting in mohler do it, if you can do it with Mertens do it. I just want this team to play to their potential. The only time I kinda felt it was 2nd half vs SIU, some of Youngstown and parts of the Wyoming game.

Didn't mean to cause harm with your opinion, I am not necessarily right. like you said just an opinion.

Actually, I completely agree with these comments. Thank you for the clarification.

SDbison
10-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Keeping Mertens as the starting QB is unfair to the rest of the team, especially the seniors. Putting another game at risk with Mertens is unnecessary. So when the Bison are down by 14 points in the 3 quarter does Bohl finally get it and stick Mohler in and expect him to turn it around? Remember, the defense gets tired of going back on the field after interceptions and 3 and outs. Why should the ENTIRE team take another loss due Mertens ineptitude?

tjbison
10-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Keeping Mertens as the starting QB is unfair to the rest of the team, especially the seniors. Putting another game at risk with Mertens is unnecessary. So when the Bison are down by 14 points in the 3 quarter does Bohl finally get it and stick Mohler in and expect him to turn it around? Remember, the defense gets tired of going back on the field after interceptions and 3 and outs. Why should the ENTIRE team take another loss due Mertens ineptitude?

Exactly! look at UNI the D made some huge 4th qtr stops just so the O can go in and guess what TURNOVER takes the emotional swing away FAST!

McBison
10-24-2008, 03:34 PM
It will be interesting to see what struggle means for Coach Bohl, a couple three and outs, an interception, tipped pass?

Yeah I would like to know too. How much is he willing to deal with?

3&outs > 1st Downs :smh:
Interceptions > TD passes :banghead:
Turnovers > TDs period :mad:
Demoralized Players > Optimistic Players :(

Any combo :confused:

I understand that not all of this is in Merti's hands. At this point it's kinda like politics and he's my G.W.Bush.

I hope this weekend is a turning point.

NDSUstudent
10-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Mertens has to start this week just to see how he responds, but I think Bohl will have him on a short leash.

Castor Troy
10-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Mertens has to start this week just to see how he responds, but I think Bohl will have him on a short leash.

If Mertens is just ineffective, I predict that Mohler will start the second half. However, he will be benched after the first pick regardless of when it occurs. I heard a lot of concern in Bohl's voice on his radio show and it also sounds like he has been seeing nice things in Mohler.

This might be a nice shot in the arm for the rest of the team.

SDbison
10-24-2008, 04:22 PM
Mertans should have been on the short leash since Youngstown. Took a come from behind to win against SIU. Pissed it away against Western Illinois and then the pathetic performance at UNI. How many chances does this kid get? Should be on choke collar or shock collar now!

SDbison
10-24-2008, 04:23 PM
If Mertens is just ineffective, I predict that Mohler will start the second half. However, he will be benched after the first pick regardless of when it occurs. I heard a lot of concern in Bohl's voice on his radio show and it also sounds like he has been seeing nice things in Mohler.

This might be a nice shot in the arm for the rest of the team.
Then why the indecision, put Mohler in, its over with Mertens.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-24-2008, 04:23 PM

he didn't respond good after wyoming, didn't respond good after youngstown? so a 3rd chance to see how he reacts after 4 ints???

SDbison
10-24-2008, 04:25 PM
he didn't respond good after wyoming, didn't respond good after youngstown? so a 3rd chance to see how he reacts after 4 ints???
I don't get it.....is Bohl acting as coach for the team or Mertens counselor?

NDSUFan_Sav
10-24-2008, 04:31 PM
I don't get it.....is Bohl acting as coach for the team or Mertens counselor?

hell if i know, wish i knew....

I don't know much about Jackson at all, didn't see him this summer, but why didn't he get to come in at some point to be tested out? I know bohl says they're the same type of QB, but how does he know, his field awareness and decision making could be better? WHY Mertens and Mertens ONLY??? makes no sense, give these seniors what they deserve WINSSSSSS

NDSUstudent
10-24-2008, 04:39 PM
Mertans should have been on the short leash since Youngstown. Took a come from behind to win against SIU. Pissed it away against Western Illinois and then the pathetic performance at UNI. How many chances does this kid get? Should be on choke collar or shock collar now!

If Mertens would have been the problem against SIU and WIU he would have been benched but he wasn't. Now he is on a short leash and deservedly so. You also have to keep in mind the coaches didn't start looking at Mohler until this week and I think Bohl wants it to be crystal clear that Mertens isn't the guy.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-24-2008, 04:49 PM
If Mertens would have been the problem against SIU and WIU he would have been benched but he wasn't. Now he is on a short leash and deservedly so. You also have to keep in mind the coaches didn't start looking at Mohler until this week and I think Bohl wants it to be crystal clear that Mertens isn't the guy.

ndsustudent,

do you know much about Jackson to why he didn't get a possible attempt? Is he not ready? I haven't seen much or know why, so just curious why Mohler passed him on the depth chart or why he hasn't seen the field when mertens wasn't looking so good?

56BISON73
10-24-2008, 05:14 PM
hell if i know, wish i knew....

I don't know much about Jackson at all, didn't see him this summer, but why didn't he get to come in at some point to be tested out? I know bohl says they're the same type of QB, but how does he know, his field awareness and decision making could be better? WHY Mertens and Mertens ONLY??? makes no sense, give these seniors what they deserve WINSSSSSS

Do you just think he MIGHT have looked at game film of him???? We are also over half way through the season. I would think at this juncture he knows what he does and doesnt bring to the table. PL

56BISON73
10-24-2008, 07:14 PM
No change at QB

There will be no change in the Bison depth chart on offense on Saturday against Illinois State. As expected, Nick Mertens will start at quarterback.
The wild card is freshman Jose Mohler, the backup who was moved up to No. 2 on the depth list this week. Bison head coach Craig Bohl said Mertens had a good week of practice and solidified his status.
Will Mohler play and forfeit his redshirt? I would guess at this point probably not, but a lot will also hinge on the first half against the Redbirds.
Bison need to find a consistent running game and whether that means to pass first to back the linebackers and safety from the line of scrimmage, then so be it. They will not win games if the running gaps are as wide as pencils and Tyler Roehl is averaging 1.6 yards per carry.
Posted by: Jeff Kolpack on 10/23/2008 at 7:02 PM

bisonmike2
10-24-2008, 07:38 PM
How 'bout we say f*#k it and run the wildcat formation? I've went back and forth with starting Moehler over Mertens and I've landed on Moehler. Nick's had his shots. He's been on the hotseat since Youngstown. To those who say we need to see how he'll respond, I say we already know. After 3 picks against Wyoming, he responded with 4 picks against Youngstown in our first MVC game. A game we could have made a statement in by putting a large victory stamp on the conference opener. After throwing a game ending pick against W. Illinois he responds by throwing 4 picks, lossing a fumble and was woefully innaccurate against UNI. A game we absolutely had to have to keep playoff hopes alive. We know how he responds in pressure situations. We don't know how Moehler will. We can find out. And I don't buy the opinion that it waste a red shirt. We can't expect the kid will start for 4 staight years. There is too much uncertainty in college football to expect that. He could get hurt, he could drop out, he could bomb. The only thing we can go on is that he might give us a shot at winning right now. Removing Jose's redshirt doesn't stop that fact that this coaching staff needs to focus on bringing in more talent at the QB position and do it year after year.

funteddy
10-24-2008, 08:02 PM
Lets Not Throw Nick Under The Bus Yet. Give The Kid A Little Confidence And See What Happens. Save Jose's Red Shirt Too.

56BISON73
10-24-2008, 08:05 PM
Lets Not Throw Nick Under The Bus Yet. Give The Kid A Little Confidence And See What Happens. Save Jose's Red Shirt Too.

Excuse me but how many games should this take??? PL

Bisonfan1
10-24-2008, 08:05 PM

Ive seen what happens, and Ive seen enough.

90BISON
10-24-2008, 08:08 PM
No change at QB

There will be no change in the Bison depth chart on offense on Saturday against Illinois State. As expected, Nick Mertens will start at quarterback.
The wild card is freshman Jose Mohler, the backup who was moved up to No. 2 on the depth list this week. Bison head coach Craig Bohl said Mertens had a good week of practice and solidified his status.
Will Mohler play and forfeit his redshirt? I would guess at this point probably not, but a lot will also hinge on the first half against the Redbirds.
Bison need to find a consistent running game and whether that means to pass first to back the linebackers and safety from the line of scrimmage, then so be it. They will not win games if the running gaps are as wide as pencils and Tyler Roehl is averaging 1.6 yards per carry.

Might want to site your source?:blush:

56BISON73
10-24-2008, 08:13 PM
Might want to site your source?:blush:

Posted by: Jeff Kolpack on 10/23/2008 at 7:02 PM

McBison
10-24-2008, 08:14 PM

No one is throwing him under the bus. If this were the Monday after Wyoming you might have a stronger position...

NDSUstudent
10-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Did anyone really expect Bohl to take the third string QB and make him the starter in one week? He wasn't even taking regular snaps, starting Mohler just doesn't seem like a move Bohl makes.

bisonmike2
10-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Did anyone really expect Bohl to take the third string QB and make him the starter in one week? He wasn't even taking regular snaps, starting Mohler just doesn't seem like a move Bohl makes.

To quote one of my favorite movies ever (Super Troopers).

"Desperation is a stinky cologne."

NDSUFan_Sav
10-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Excuse me but how many games should this take??? PL

hopefully not another season :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

BisonNeil
10-25-2008, 01:11 AM
I would rather lose with Mohler then lose again with Merti. I just want Bohl to try something. I'm not worried about his 1 year of eligibility.

I agree, if the Bison need him, and I would say we do, play him and to hell with the years of eligibility.

For those of you concerned about the number of years Mohler has left, did you rant when Humber's redshirt was pulled? He graduated a year after Maresh from HS but they graduate together because Bohl needed help on special teams that year. Sound familiar? Bohl initially pulled Preston Evans red-shirt for the same reason, special teams. Did any of you rant about that? How about Craig Dahl, when Babich pulled his red-shirt, to play on SPECIAL TEAMS!

The point is red-shirts get pulled all the time, and there is little if any noise made about it. Why now?

HerdBot
10-25-2008, 04:06 AM

It's not shot at all. If we win out, we have a legit shot at making the playoffs. We're ranked #25 with 5 weeks left in the season and we need to move up 9 spots.

A home playoff game is shot. (unless we get in and get to bid)

If we lose tomorrow then the season is shot.

CaBisonFan
10-25-2008, 04:33 AM
I hope a redshirt is not pulled for mop up duty!

Steve was put out there for mop up duty. He didn't impress the coaches in practice. The rest is history.

56BISON73
10-25-2008, 04:35 AM
Steve was put out there for mop up duty. He didn't impress the coaches in practice. The rest is history.

That is the exception not the rule. I dont think you can keep hanging you hat on that. PL

99Bison
10-25-2008, 04:36 AM

Actually no, steve was put out there because the starter was playing horribly, game after game after game.

BraxtonT
10-25-2008, 05:17 AM

Ca, you were responding to a comment about pulling the redshirt, but I'm pretty sure Steve Walker was a redshirt during the 2003 season.

BisoninNWMN
10-25-2008, 12:25 PM
I agree, if the Bison need him, and I would say we do, play him and to hell with the years of eligibility.

For those of you concerned about the number of years Mohler has left, did you rant when Humber's redshirt was pulled? He graduated a year after Maresh from HS but they graduate together because Bohl needed help on special teams that year. Sound familiar? Bohl initially pulled Preston Evans red-shirt for the same reason, special teams. Did any of you rant about that? How about Craig Dahl, when Babich pulled his red-shirt, to play on SPECIAL TEAMS!

The point is red-shirts get pulled all the time, and there is little if any noise made about it. Why now?

Red-shirts do not get pulled all the time. If there is an exeptional player and there is a need then the shirt will get pulled........1 here and there. Your examples are true but not every year and not multiple players.

Keep Mohler's shirt ....... Mertens will finish the year, IMO.

Bisonfan1
10-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Actually no, steve was put out there because the starter was playing horribly, game after game after game.

Thank you !!! Same coach who has kept a starter in this year again after playing horribly, game after game, after game.

larson311
10-25-2008, 03:20 PM
They need to put Mertens out there and feed him to the dogs this week.....we need to pass to set up the run and see how Merty can handle it. It just might instill the confidence he needs knowing th coach has confidence in him to get the ball rolling early.

SDbison
10-25-2008, 04:11 PM
They need to put Mertens out there and feed him to the dogs this week.....we need to pass to set up the run and see how Merty can handle it. It just might instill the confidence he needs knowing th coach has confidence in him to get the ball rolling early.
I believe it when I see Mertens throwing on off downs. Instead, likely to see more of the predictable run, run, screen / dump pass.

UTH
10-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Whoever the QB is today, I'm just hoping that he's watching KSU and Oklahoma play on FSN right now. There's plenty of inspiring QB play in Manhattan today, especially from Josh Freeman. 34-28 Oklahoma, still plenty of time left in the first half...

BisoninNWMN
10-25-2008, 10:18 PM

WTF......you got your head up your a**!!!

Where was Mohler today at Ill State????

Mertens play wasn't stellar but he got the job done......handing off.

Mohler will not see game time this year IMO.....let Mertens and him battle it out in spring-ball for the #1 QB

SD....why not pull his shirt next week:confused: :confused:

You think Mertens is the sole reason for all the Bison's problems.....no way!!!

O-line played the run better today but the pass blocking was still poor.

56BISON73
10-25-2008, 11:27 PM
WTF......you got your head up your a**!!!

Where was Mohler today at Ill State????

Mertens play wasn't stellar but he got the job done......handing off.

Mohler will not see game time this year IMO.....let Mertens and him battle it out in spring-ball for the #1 QB

SD....why not pull his shirt next week:confused: :confused:

You think Mertens is the sole reason for all the Bison's problems.....no way!!!

O-line played the run better today but the pass blocking was still poor.

A few reason why the O-line had an ok game.
1 they were much bigger than the D-line
2 most of there D was injured one way or the other
3 they lost 5 players from the D in the 1st half

Even with all that they still couldnt get into the end zone on some sustained drives.
Drive all the way down the field and then try for 3. It drives me crazy.
As far as merten---notice how we ran on 3rd and long??? Doesnt say much about the confidence from the coaches does it.
This was not an impressive win by any stretch of the imagination. PL

d3boys
10-25-2008, 11:49 PM
they won though

56BISON73
10-26-2008, 01:40 AM
Hey Navy won today and they never threw a pass. They must be having QB problems also.:D
PL

X-Factor
10-26-2008, 02:44 AM
It felt very energizing to see the Bison win, but not so impressed by it like PL said. With a running game like that passing the ball should be something QB's only dream about. The way Mertens was passing you could have swore we were being stuffed every time on 1st and 2nd down instead of having an easy 2nd and 2 to play around with various passing plays. When the coaches call a QB sneek on 2nd and 1 that tells me one thing. Absolutely no trust. I can see why. Kole didn't even catch 1 ball!

Oh well, we have a couple of easier games coming up, then if we can somehow manage to get through the usual SDSU pounding at the Fargodome the season will end on a good note, then we can get on the recruiting trail to find a transfer to compete with Mohler in spring ball without pulling a redshirt. That would be my plan.

Good win Bison! Excellent Defense!

56BISON73
10-26-2008, 02:53 AM
It seems to me that the coaches are just trying to get through the season with Mertens. They have totally changed the game plan to account for his ineptness in his passing game. I think we might be able to get away with it the next two games. But I dont think we can against the Bunnies.
What concerns me is the fact that if Mertens is the best we have WHERE are the other QBs in there developement. Now thats scary. PL

SDbison
10-26-2008, 03:10 AM
It seems to me that the coaches are just trying to get through the season with Mertens. They have totally changed the game plan to account for his ineptness in his passing game. I think we might be able to get away with it the next two games. But I dont think we can against the Bunnies.
What concerns me is the fact that if Mertens is the best we have WHERE are the other QBs in there developement. Now thats scary. PL
Good points PL, rep points to you. Like I just told Sav today, if Mertens is still the QB for the SDSU game there is a good chance NDSU wil lose that game.

stevdock
10-26-2008, 03:25 AM
How about for just one week you guys get off of Mertens and Bibeau's case?? They know they've struggled. It's not like they are going out and giving less than their best effort. Yes, it's been disappointing but come on. It's getting old guys. This is our team this year and it's time to get fully behind them instead of picking them apart.

BraxtonT
10-26-2008, 03:29 AM
How about for just one week you guys get off of Mertens and Bibeau's case?? They know they've struggled. It's not like they are going out and giving less than their best effort. Yes, it's been disappointing but come on. It's getting old guys. This is our team this year and it's time to get fully behind them instead of picking them apart.

They shouldn't be reading this sight. If they are and it bothers them, then tough.

56BISON73
10-26-2008, 03:32 AM
Good points PL, rep points to you. Like I just told Sav today, if Mertens is still the QB for the SDSU game there is a good chance NDSU wil lose that game.

SD
I have been watching this unfold like everone else and I just couldnt make any sense out of it. I mean what other position-player on this team could commit so many vital errors and still keep his job. (Oh the FG kicker):D
Ok besides those two. Nobody. They would be replacing him.
That is the only reason I could come up with because we have no other options. You see other teams who split the playing time between 2 QBs when one is haviing problems. But not here. There are reasons--- they were very diplomatic when they said the back up had hit a wall and hadnt progressed. There are no other options unless Mertens goes down.

Teams will keep stacking the box as they know they have a chance to win if they stop the run and force us to throw. That is just unbeleivable. PL

stevdock
10-26-2008, 03:32 AM
They shouldn't be reading this sight. If they are and it bothers them, then tough.

I never said that they did read this site. What I did say was it's time to back our team instead of ripping them apart week in and week out.

WYOBISONMAN
10-26-2008, 03:36 AM

Sad but true........

56BISON73
10-26-2008, 03:37 AM
I never said that they did read this site. What I did say was it's time to back our team instead of ripping them apart week in and week out.

Just because we are un happy with there play and performance doent mean we dont support them. PL

BisoninNWMN
10-26-2008, 11:58 AM

Good call......give them a break!!!

A1pigskin
10-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Just because we are un happy with there play and performance doent mean we dont support them. PL

That's right, I think we all support this team in good and bad.

semobison
10-26-2008, 03:27 PM
A bunch of you are thinking we have an easy game in two weeks @ Missouri State. They are having a good year! Almost got SUU yesterday in Carbondale! Not a gimme for sure!

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-26-2008, 04:53 PM
A bunch of you are thinking we have an easy game in two weeks @ Missouri State. They are having a good year! Almost got SUU yesterday in Carbondale! Not a gimme for sure!

Indeed, Missouri State is playing good. Good enough to beat us.

A1pigskin
10-26-2008, 06:12 PM
We need to be playing tough every week. We need to concentrate on improving our team, so when we go play we win. Nothing is a gimmie.

TheCatPoster
10-26-2008, 08:48 PM
please.....
http://threadbombing.com/data/media/18/stop_posting_cat.jpg

IzzyFlexion
10-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Uhhhhhhhhh, sure, whatever you say, Cat Poster dude.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-27-2008, 07:12 AM

Yeah you did say that......see you this weekend SD!!!

bisonhusker
10-27-2008, 03:20 PM
Bohl's calculated decision to talk about removing the redshirt on Jose was to defer all the talk about how bad Mertens has been. He didn't win or lose the game on Saturday, but he did hand off the ball well....while he was handcufffed. look for more of the same on Saturday. We will run at will, and hopefully get all 4 running backs some carries.

His presser today should be interesting. I hope we find out more about Preston Evans.

Bisonfan1
10-27-2008, 07:16 PM
Bohl's calculated decision to talk about removing the redshirt on Jose was to defer all the talk about how bad Mertens has been. He didn't win or lose the game on Saturday, but he did hand off the ball well....while he was handcufffed. look for more of the same on Saturday. We will run at will, and hopefully get all 4 running backs some carries.

His presser today should be interesting. I hope we find out more about Preston Evans.

This all may be true, maybe to throw off ISU game plan, somewhere it was mentioned by ISU that they had not seen some defensive formations, this is good to see that at least on one side of the ball the Bison are not predictable as in past games. Problem is with the the ISU game though, the offense remains predictable, except for the fact the Bison out sized the ISU front and ran the ball the down their throats, will this remain true for the next 3 games, have not bothered to check stats on the next three opponents. If the Bison cant run the ball at will, and have to force the pass, we are in deep trouble.

X-Factor
10-27-2008, 11:42 PM
The Bison will be able to run run run against Indiana State and Missouri State. Both have unnoticeable d-lines. MSU can play some ball however, unlike Indiana st. SDSU should be a dogfight and I doubt like heck we will be able to do what we did against Illinois St against them.