PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs are possible (hear me out before you rip me a new one)

HerdBot
10-22-2008, 03:30 AM
We're actually ranked right now in the coaches poll and we're the only team with a below .500 record that made the cut. With a few plays we could have been 6-1 or 5-2. Clearly we can compete and the coaches poll recognizes that.

The Forum wrote that only a few times have teams with 4 losses made the playoffs. I counter that with this...

How many teams have been ranked with a 3/4 record? Has D1-AA ever seen a conference as strong as this version of the MVC? Remember, 5 teams were ranked in the top 25?

My point is this. The top 16 teams make the playoff and we're only 9 spots away with 4 games left. There is a chance we could win all of them, which would give us a conference record of 5-3 and a jump in the rankings. There are 4 weeks to see 9 teams above us lose and drop. I've seen crazier things than that happen.

Just win and win convincingly and we got a shot.

So I'm not giving up on the playoff hopes and I'll really psyched up!

EDIT: We've got a bye and 5 weeks for other teams to lose.

duluthbison
10-22-2008, 03:51 AM
You have a really good point, and I don't doubt you at all. Who here wouldn't want to see a playoff game our first year in the MVFC. But I have seen this for the past 3 games here on Bisonville. It usually goes like, "If we can win the next games, we can have playoffs" but the truth is that the team keeps giving up and they are making stupid mistakes. To me, it doesn't seem like the team wants it bad, if you listened to the radio broadcast on gobison.com of the last game, even the announcers noticed that the o-line didn't seem to have the same heart in it as they used to.

So I don't see anything happening until there is a big shake-up on the team...cough, cough, mertens.

But in reality, no one really knows and all we can do is hope that they figure out what they are doing wrong at practice this week and pull things together. We have all seen the bison do some really amazing things in the past and who knows. I hope that we are all in for a treat in the last few weeks of the football season.

MinotBison
10-22-2008, 03:53 AM
We're actually ranked right now in the coaches poll and we're the only team with a below .500 record that made the cut. With a few plays we could have been 6-1 or 5-2. Clearly we can compete and the coaches poll recognizes that.

The Forum wrote that only a few times have teams with 4 losses made the playoffs. I counter that with this...

How many teams have been ranked with a 3/4 record? Has D1-AA ever seen a conference as strong as this version of the MVC? Remember, 5 teams were ranked in the top 25?

My point is this. The top 16 teams make the playoff and we're only 9 spots away with 4 games left. There is a chance we could win all of them, which would give us a conference record of 5-3 and a jump in the rankings. There are 4 weeks to see 9 teams above us lose and drop. I've seen crazier things than that happen.

Just ask the 1985 team about crazy things happening. I believe the season ended with a tie against Augustana giving them a 7-2-1 record. There were about 3 or 4 things that all had to happen for them to make the playoffs and they all did. They went on to beat UC Davis in the first round en route to a national championship.

CaBisonFan
10-22-2008, 04:06 AM

Which adds to the argument about pulling Mohler's redshirt. Could he pull a 'Steve Walker' like we saw at UNC about 4 years ago? Maybe. He could also fail miserably. But something has to change. Again...I don't blame Nick Mertens. He hasn't forgotten how to pass. He is still an outstanding athlete. He is; however, a fish out of water.

It's not a shakeup. It's called a 'change.'

There was one year in the 80s when we won the title...and the playoffs appeared to be out of the question. During the last Saturday there were 7 or 8 games that 'had to' fall exactly right. They did.

Bison need a sparkplug regardless. I want to see this team with 'fire' in its eyes again. I really miss it.

I'd love to see your scenario work out. I'd love to see the Bison put it to SDSU in Fargo. If SDSU were in the running for something, it would be a real hoot to even be the spoiler. Eye for an eye.

HerdBot
10-22-2008, 04:15 AM
Just ask the 1985 team about crazy things happening. I believe the season ended with a tie against Augustana giving them a 7-2-1 record. There were about 3 or 4 things that all had to happen for them to make the playoffs and they all did. They went on to beat UC Davis in the first round en route to a national championship.

And we could actually bid our way to a playoff game too.

HerdBot
10-22-2008, 04:19 AM
You have a really good point, and I don't doubt you at all. Who here wouldn't want to see a playoff game our first year in the MVFC. But I have seen this for the past 3 games here on Bisonville. It usually goes like, "If we can win the next games, we can have playoffs" but the truth is that the team keeps giving up and they are making stupid mistakes. To me, it doesn't seem like the team wants it bad, if you listened to the radio broadcast on gobison.com of the last game, even the announcers noticed that the o-line didn't seem to have the same heart in it as they used to.

So I don't see anything happening until there is a big shake-up on the team...cough, cough, mertens.

But in reality, no one really knows and all we can do is hope that they figure out what they are doing wrong at practice this week and pull things together. We have all seen the bison do some really amazing things in the past and who knows. I hope that we are all in for a treat in the last few weeks of the football season.

A new QB could be a spark plug. A new QB playing well can actually pick up the rest of the team. I'm actually confident we could make it if we take care of business and get a little luck. I can't give up on a team that has so much pride, character, and a history of kicking ass

BraxtonT
10-22-2008, 04:27 AM
My point is this. The top 16 teams make the playoff and we're only 9 spots away with 4 games left. There is a chance we could win all of them, which would give us a conference record of 5-3 and a jump in the rankings. There are 4 weeks to see 9 teams above us lose and drop.

This looks good, but you are forgetting about the autobid conferences. Of the 8 conferences with the autobid, are all of them represented in the top 16? For each of those that are not, that is one more 'miracle' we need.

We will need to blow out every team we play, not just Indiana State, just to have a snowball's chance in South Texas of making it in.

One other thing that will go against us is the MVFC really has no quality non-conference victories.

BraxtonT
10-22-2008, 04:29 AM

Actually, we kicked the living poop out of und. It was either 62-13 or 49-0. Those were the scores of the 1985 and 1986 games.

The Augie game was later in the season, though.

NDSUstudent
10-22-2008, 04:43 AM
May as well post this here......Teams need 7 DI wins in order to qualify...

Big Sky
UM(6-1) must go 2-3
NAU(6-1) must go at least 2-2
WSU(6-2) must go 3-1
UNC Eliminated
Sac State Eliminated
MSU Eliminated
ISU Eliminated
EWU Eliminated
PSU Eliminated

Big South
Liberty(6-1) must go at least 3-2
CCU(4-4) must go 3-1
VMI(3-3) must go 5-0
Charleston Southern Eliminated
Gardner Webb Eliminated
Stony Brook Eliminated

CAA
JMU(6-1) must go at least 1-3
UNH(5-1) must go 2-3
Nova(5-1) must go 2-3
Mass(4-3) must go 3-1
UR(5-3) must go 2-2
Hofstra(3-4) must go 4-1
W&M(4-2) must go 3-2
Towson(3-4) must go 4-1
Maine(4-3) must go 3-2
NU(2-5) must go 5-0
UD Eliminated
URI(2-5) Eliminated

Great West
Cal Poly(4-1) must go at least 4-1*
UCD(4-4) must go 3-0
SUU(3-3) Eliminated
--* denotes teams with games canceled due to hurricanes

MEAC
Hampton(5-1) must go at least 2-3
FAMU(5-2) must go 2-3
SCSU(5-2) must go 3-2
B-CU(4-2) must go 3-2
MSU(4-3) must go 3-2
DSU(3-3) must go 4-1
Norfolk State Eliminated
Howard( Eliminated
NC A&T Eliminated

MVFC
SIU(4-2) must go at least 3-2
UNI(5-2) must go 3-2
WIU(5-2) must go 3-1
MSU(3-3) must go 4-1
SDSU(3-4) must go 4-1
NDSU(3-4) must go 4-0
Ill St(2-4) must go 5-0
YSU Elminated
Ind St Elminated

NEC
SHU(6-1) must go 3-1
CCSU(5-2) must go 3-1
Albany(4-3) must go 3-1
MU(4-3) must go at least 4-0
Wagner(3-4) must go 4-0
RMU Eliminated
Duquesne Eliminated
St Francis eliminated

OVC
TSU(6-1) must go at least 1-4
Jax St(5-2) must go 2-2
Tenn-Martin(6-2) must go 2-2
EKU(4-3) must go 3-1
EIU(3-4) must go 4-1
Murray State Eliminated
SEMO Eliminated
TTU Eliminated
APSU Eliminated

Patriot League
Lafayette(5-1) must go at least 2-3
Colgate(5-2) must go 2-2
Bucknell(4-2) must go 3-2
HC(3-3) must go 4-1
Fordham(3-3) must go 4-1
Lehigh(2-4) must go 5-0
Georgetown is Eliminated

Pioneer
USD(6-0) must go at least 3-2
Dayton(6-1) must go 3-2
Butler(5-1) must go 5-0
Jacksonville(4-3) must go 5-0
Morehead St Eliminated
Davidson Eliminated
Valpo Eliminated
Drake Eliminated

SoCon
Elon(7-1) has seven DI wins
Wofford(5-1) must go at least 2-3
App St(5-2) must go 2-3
FU(6-2) must go 2-2
GSU(3-4) must go 4-0
Citadel(3-4) must go 5-0
Samford Eliminated
WCU Eliminated
Chattanooga Eliminated

Southland
TSU(4-3) must go at least 4-1
SFA(4-3) must go 5-0
MSU(4-2) must go 5-0*
NW St(4-3) must go 5-0
SELA(4-3) must go 5-0
SHSU Eliminated*
Nicholls State Eliminated*

Independents
Iona(3-2) Eliminated
SSU(3-3) Eliminated
Marist(1-5) Eliminated

UTH
10-22-2008, 04:54 AM
Warning: Reposted picture follows...

I agree
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/richguy.jpg
there's always a chance

CaBisonFan
10-22-2008, 06:08 AM

Big Sky
UM(6-1) must go 2-3
WSU(6-2) must go 3-1
UNC Eliminated
Sac State Eliminated
MSU Eliminated
ISU Eliminated
EWU Eliminated
PSU Eliminated

Big South
CCU(4-4) must go 3-1
VMI(3-3) must go 5-0
Gardner Webb Eliminated
Stony Brook Eliminated

CAA
UNH(5-1) must go 2-3
Nova(5-1) must go 2-3
Mass(4-3) must go 3-1
UR(5-3) must go 2-2
Hofstra(3-4) must go 4-1
W&M(4-2) must go 3-2
Towson(3-4) must go 4-1
Maine(4-3) must go 3-2
NU(2-5) must go 5-0
UD Eliminated
URI(2-5) Eliminated

Great West
UCD(4-4) must go 3-0
SUU(3-3) Eliminated

MEAC
FAMU(5-2) must go 2-3
SCSU(5-2) must go 3-2
B-CU(4-2) must go 3-2
MSU(4-3) must go 3-2
DSU(3-3) must go 4-1
Norfolk State Eliminated
Howard( Eliminated
NC A&T Eliminated

MVFC
UNI(5-2) must go 3-2
WIU(5-2) must go 3-1
MSU(3-3) must go 4-1
SDSU(3-4) must go 4-1
NDSU(3-4) must go 4-0
Ill St(2-4) must go 5-0
YSU Elminated
Ind St Elminated

NEC
SHU(6-1) must go 3-1
CCSU(5-2) must go 3-1
Albany(4-3) must go 3-1
Wagner(3-4) must go 4-0
RMU Eliminated
Duquesne Eliminated
St Francis eliminated

OVC
Jax St(5-2) must go 2-2
EKU(4-3) must go 3-1
EIU(3-4) must go 4-1
Murray State Eliminated
SEMO Eliminated
TTU Eliminated
APSU Eliminated

Patriot League
Colgate(5-2) must go 2-2
HC(3-3) must go 4-1
Fordham(3-3) must go 4-1
Lehigh(2-4) must go 5-0
Georgetown is Eliminated

Pioneer
Dayton(6-1) must go 3-2
Butler(5-1) must go 5-0
Morehead St Eliminated
Davidson Eliminated
Valpo Eliminated
Drake Eliminated

SoCon
App St(5-2) must go 2-3
FU(6-2) must go 2-2
GSU(3-4) must go 4-0
Citadel(3-4) must go 5-0
Samford Eliminated
WCU Eliminated
Chattanooga Eliminated

Southland
SFA(4-3) must go 5-0
MSU(4-2) must go 5-0*
NW St(4-3) must go 5-0
SELA(4-3) must go 5-0
SHSU Eliminated*

Independents
Iona(3-2) Eliminated
SSU(3-3) Eliminated
Marist(1-5) Eliminated

This all means that we still have a chance!

HerdBot
10-22-2008, 06:30 AM

Hell frickin' yeah!

NDSUFan_Sav
10-22-2008, 07:11 AM

So we have a chance??? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqdNe8u-Jsg&feature=related

Sorry had to do this....don't mean that we don't have a chance :D

BisoninNWMN
10-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Chances are very slim........but I still believe:)

NOTOM
10-22-2008, 12:05 PM

FINALLY THE OPTIMISM WE NEED. It is a long shot but "Glass half full is better than glass half empty."

Thundering Herd
10-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Yes, I too am clinging onto playoff hopes! GO BISON!!!

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo131/Thundering_Herd/OPTIMISTIC.jpg

The_Herd
10-22-2008, 02:32 PM
As far as recent 4 loss teams in the playoffs there was:

2005- Eastern Washington 7-4

2006- Montana St. 7-4, Eastern Illinois 8-4, McNeese St. 7-4

2007- New Hampshire 7-4

So ya there might be a chance.

aces1180
10-22-2008, 02:44 PM
As far as recent 4 loss teams in the playoffs there was:

2005- Eastern Washington 7-4

2006- Montana St. 7-4, Eastern Illinois 8-4, McNeese St. 7-4

2007- New Hampshire 7-4

So ya there might be a chance.

Well, considering that the NCAA is a business and they prefer to have at-large schools in the mix that can attract a large fan base, I would say the Bison are not quite out of it yet.

The_Herd
10-22-2008, 02:55 PM
I think New Hamphire last year shows that we have a chance coming out of a very tough conference, last year they were:

- 7-4 overall which we'll have to be
- 4-4 in a tough conference we'll have to be 5-3
- they were the 5th team out of their conference to get in we'll be 3rd or 4th
- they were an at large bid

HandoEX
10-22-2008, 03:11 PM
I think New Hamphire last year shows that we have a chance coming out of a very tough conference, last year they were:

- 7-4 overall which we'll have to be
- 4-4 in a tough conference we'll have to be 5-3
- they were the 5th team out of their conference to get in we'll be 3rd or 4th
- they were an at large bid

Plus New Hampshire lost to a 3-8 Northeastern squad at home by 17 points late in the season last year. There is hope for the Bison!

bisonmike2
10-22-2008, 03:23 PM
NDSU: What are the chances of a football team like ours... ending up in the playoffs?
Playoff Commitee: Well, that's pretty difficult to say.
NDSU: Hit me with it! I've come a long way to see you.. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
Playoff Commitee: Not good.
NDSU: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Playoff Commitee: I'd say more like one out of a million.
[pause]
NDSU: So you're telling me there's a chance!

http://content7.flixster.com/question/36/97/55/3697557_std.jpg
So you're telling me there's a chance!

/I've seen this team play this year. I'm not hopeful.

NDSUstudent
10-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Here is what we need to cheer for...

NDSU to win all four(duh)

Montana to win out and NAU and Weber State to each lose two games

McNeese State to win the Southland

Cal Poly to stumble and lose a game prior to their Wisconsin match up

UNI to take control of the MVC and losses to all other top teams(especially WIU)

Elon and App State to take control of SoCon

JMU, UNH, and Nova to win out in the CAA.

90BISON
10-22-2008, 03:51 PM
All we can really do is pound the ever living snot out of the rest of the teams we have left including the bunnies, and let the chips fall where they may. As for the people that think pulling Jose's RS is a waste, how about wasting the senior year of some of the most dedicated players this school has ever seen?

IL_Bison
10-22-2008, 04:06 PM
All we can really do is pound the ever living snot out of the rest of the teams we have left including the bunnies, and let the chips fall where they may. As for the people that think pulling Jose's RS is a waste, how about wasting the senior year of some of the most dedicated players this school has ever seen?

+++++++++++

ndsubison1
10-22-2008, 04:20 PM
So you're saying there's a chance...

NDSUFan_Sav
10-22-2008, 04:40 PM

Wow......great post

+++++++++++++++

Bison06
10-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Ok, I can roll with this optimism thing for a second. Great, that felt good.

Now, do we realistically have a shot? With this being a year that most teams are playing 12 games, is 7 wins really going to get us in? Do they give us special consideration because of our conference? The fact that we were screwed last year and the year before?

I like the optimistic approach myself, but at some point my realist side comes out of me and asks if we have a legitimate shot. I honestly don't know, I would be curious to find out if someone could do some research and present some facts.

Note:By "screwed" I mean we were good enough to do some damage, but were legitimately held out for eligibility issues.

Civil06
10-22-2008, 04:53 PM
UNI has never received an at-large bid.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-22-2008, 04:59 PM

NCAA likes $$$$$,

UNI fans said they usually see 100 opponent fans come to the game we brought 1k+. So, therefore the NCAA knows we travel well, and if we make a playoff game fans WILL BE THERE!!!!

They saw what be brought to the Minnesota game.

UNI doesn't seem to travel all that well they can't even sell their dome out against us.

Maybe I am wrong here, but if we go 7-4 and get help elsewhere they could look at those circumstances.

roadwarrior
10-22-2008, 05:54 PM
I dont think there is a chance in hell we will get selected to the playoffs based on how many fans we draw, home or away.

PantherHawk Says Hey Spud
10-22-2008, 06:36 PM
What would you expect when we always take the conference, Dunce?

Civil06
10-22-2008, 06:44 PM
What would you expect when we always take the conference, Dunce?

The point I'm making to Bison fans is that it's hard to get an at-large bid. I do like optimism, however. You have to go back a whole 2 seasons to find a year that UNI didn't make the playoffs.

And I'm no dunce, as I like my chances against you in any measure of IQ.

lakesbison
10-22-2008, 06:47 PM
I SEE A BILLY MADISON THINK-OFF BREWING!!

LETS DO THIS!! MEET IN WORTHINGTON MINNESOTA>.. halfway point!!

bisonhusker
10-22-2008, 06:59 PM
I honestly think we had over 2000 fans at UNI. Or approx double what they had on their section during the 2nd half.....alot of red seats!

MontanaBisonFan
10-22-2008, 07:32 PM
It might be better odds that the Bison win the Autobid in the Missouri Valley.
Less than slim and none. (30,000 to 1)

Bison 5-3
S. Ill 5-3
SDSU 5-3
UNI 4-4
W. Ill 4-4
Young 4-4
Miz. St 4-4
Ill. St. 4-4
Ind. St 1-7

NDSUstudent
10-26-2008, 04:34 AM
May as well post this here again this week....

JMU clinched 7 DI wins this week and 54 teams still have their playoff hopes alive. As always a team that is eliminated could still win their conference title. Also if I made any mistakes please be sure to tell me.

Big Sky
UM(7-1) must go 1-3
NAU(6-2) must go at least 2-1
WSU(7-2) must go 2-1
UNC Eliminated
Sac State Eliminated
MSU Eliminated
ISU Eliminated
EWU Eliminated
PSU Eliminated

Big South
Liberty(7-1) must go at least 2-2
CCU(4-5) must go 3-0
VMI Eliminated
Gardner Webb Eliminated
Stony Brook Eliminated

CAA
JMU(7-1) has 7 DI wins
UNH(6-1) must go 1-3
Nova(5-2) must go 2-2
Mass(5-3) must go 3-1
UR(6-3) must go 1-2
W&M(5-2) must go 2-2
Maine(5-3) must go 2-2
Towson(3-5) must go 4-0
Hofstra(3-5) must go 4-0
NU Eliminated
UD Eliminated
URI Eliminated

Great West
Cal Poly(5-1) must go at least 3-1*
UCD(5-4) must go 3-0
SUU(3-3) Eliminated

MEAC
FAMU(6-2) must go at least 1-3
Hampton(5-2) must go at least 2-2
SCSU(6-2) must go 2-2
B-CU(5-2) must go 2-2
MSU5-3) must go 2-2
DSU(3-4) must go 4-0
Norfolk State Eliminated
Howard( Eliminated
NC A&T Eliminated

MVFC
SIU(5-2) must go 2-2
UNI(6-2) must go 2-2
WIU(5-2) must go 3-1
SDSU(4-4) must go 3-1
NDSU(4-4) must go 3-0
MSU(3-4) must go 4-0
Ill St Eliminated
YSU Elminated
Ind St Elminated

NEC
SHU(7-1) must go 2-1
Albany(5-3) must go 2-1
MU(5-3) must go 3-0
CCSU(5-3) must go 3-0
Wagner Eliminated
RMU Eliminated
Duquesne Eliminated
St Francis eliminated

OVC
TSU(6-2) must go 1-3
Jax St(5-3) must go 2-1
Tenn-Martin(7-2) must go 2-1
EKU(5-3) must go 2-1
EIU(3-5) must go 4-0
Murray State Eliminated
SEMO Eliminated
TTU Eliminated
APSU Eliminated

Patriot League
Lafayette(6-1) must go 1-3
Colgate(6-2) must go 1-2
Bucknell(4-3) must go 3-1
HC(4-3) must go 3-1
Fordham(3-4) must go 4-0
Lehigh Eliminated
Georgetown Eliminated

Pioneer
Dayton(7-1) must go 2-2
USD(6-1) must go 3-1
Butler(6-1) must go 4-0*
Jacksonville(5-3) must go 4-0
Morehead St Eliminated
Davidson Eliminated
Valpo Eliminated
Drake Eliminated

SoCon
Elon(7-2) has seven DI wins
Wofford(6-1) must go 1-3
App St(6-2) must go 1-3
FU(6-3) must go 2-1
GSU(4-4) must go 3-0
Citadel Eliminated
Samford Eliminated
WCU Eliminated
Chattanooga Eliminated

Southland
TSU(5-3) must go 4-1
NW St(5-3) must go 4-0
MSU Eliminated*
SELA Eliminated
SFA Elliminated
SHSU Eliminated*

SWAC
PVSU(7-1) must go 2-0*
Grambling Eliminated
Southern Eliminated
Jackson St Eliminated
Alabama A&M Eliminated
Alcon State Eliminated
Alabama State Eliminated
MVSU Eliminated
APB Eliminated
Tx So Eliminated

Indepedents
Iona Eliminated
SSU Eliminated
Marist Eliminated

HerdBot
10-26-2008, 07:09 AM

Big Sky
UM(6-1) must go 2-3
WSU(6-2) must go 3-1
UNC Eliminated
Sac State Eliminated
MSU Eliminated
ISU Eliminated
EWU Eliminated
PSU Eliminated

Big South
CCU(4-4) must go 3-1
VMI(3-3) must go 5-0
Gardner Webb Eliminated
Stony Brook Eliminated

CAA
UNH(5-1) must go 2-3
Nova(5-1) must go 2-3
Mass(4-3) must go 3-1
UR(5-3) must go 2-2
Hofstra(3-4) must go 4-1
W&M(4-2) must go 3-2
Towson(3-4) must go 4-1
Maine(4-3) must go 3-2
NU(2-5) must go 5-0
UD Eliminated
URI(2-5) Eliminated

Great West
UCD(4-4) must go 3-0
SUU(3-3) Eliminated

MEAC
FAMU(5-2) must go 2-3
SCSU(5-2) must go 3-2
B-CU(4-2) must go 3-2
MSU(4-3) must go 3-2
DSU(3-3) must go 4-1
Norfolk State Eliminated
Howard( Eliminated
NC A&T Eliminated

MVFC
UNI(5-2) must go 3-2
WIU(5-2) must go 3-1
MSU(3-3) must go 4-1
SDSU(3-4) must go 4-1
NDSU(3-4) must go 4-0
Ill St(2-4) must go 5-0
YSU Elminated
Ind St Elminated

NEC
SHU(6-1) must go 3-1
CCSU(5-2) must go 3-1
Albany(4-3) must go 3-1
Wagner(3-4) must go 4-0
RMU Eliminated
Duquesne Eliminated
St Francis eliminated

OVC
Jax St(5-2) must go 2-2
EKU(4-3) must go 3-1
EIU(3-4) must go 4-1
Murray State Eliminated
SEMO Eliminated
TTU Eliminated
APSU Eliminated

Patriot League
Colgate(5-2) must go 2-2
HC(3-3) must go 4-1
Fordham(3-3) must go 4-1
Lehigh(2-4) must go 5-0
Georgetown is Eliminated

Pioneer
Dayton(6-1) must go 3-2
Butler(5-1) must go 5-0
Morehead St Eliminated
Davidson Eliminated
Valpo Eliminated
Drake Eliminated

SoCon
App St(5-2) must go 2-3
FU(6-2) must go 2-2
GSU(3-4) must go 4-0
Citadel(3-4) must go 5-0
Samford Eliminated
WCU Eliminated
Chattanooga Eliminated

Southland
SFA(4-3) must go 5-0
MSU(4-2) must go 5-0*
NW St(4-3) must go 5-0
SELA(4-3) must go 5-0
SHSU Eliminated*

Independents
Iona(3-2) Eliminated
SSU(3-3) Eliminated
Marist(1-5) Eliminated

Looks promising. Here are the auto bid conferences

Currently, the Big Sky Conference, Colonial Athletic Association, Gateway Conference, Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, Ohio Valley Conference, Patriot League, Southern Conference and Southland Conference hold automatic bids

At a looking at the losses, we would be a few spots short right now with 4 weeks left in the season. My best guess puts auto bids for

#1 James Madision, #2 Appy, #4 UNI, #17 Weber State, #12Central Arkansas, #24 South Carolina State, #19 Tennesee State, and unranked Lafeyette

These teams make it based on ranking.

#3 Cal Poly, #5 Montana, #6 Wofford, #8 Richmond, #10 New Hampshire, #13 Southern Illinois, #14 Western Illinois,

Assuming not much changes at the top, that leaves 1 spot open for grabs between these 9 teams.WHen the polls are released, NDSU should go up because 5 of those teams lost. If I had to pick, Villanova gets the final spot.

#7 Elon - got blown out by Wofford should drop from top 15
#9 Villanova - lost to James Madison on a hail mary. Should still drop a few
#15 Northern Arizona - lost to Weber should drop.
#16 Mass - won
#18 Furman lost to Appy
#20 Jacksonville State lost
#21 Liberty won - (teams out of the Big South don't usually go)
#23 William & Mary won
#25 NDSU won

Can we move up a few spot in 4 weeks?

Who we want to lose:
Weber State
Western Illinois (lose 2 more would be awesome)
Southern Illinois (ouch, root for the Sue)
Elon
Villanova
Northern Arizona
Mass
Furman
WIlliam & Mary

semobison
10-26-2008, 03:15 PM
First off, It would be great if we win out and slip into a playoff spot. But, If we dont get some balance in our offense I dont think we will win out. Teams without some kind of passing game dont go very far into the playoffs. Next week would be a good game to try to get our passing game going a little. We had 1 catch by our wideouts against ISU. The way our D is playing, if we had a DECENT passing attack we could beat anybody!

BisonNeil
10-26-2008, 03:20 PM
Too bad Youngstown dropped a close one to NIU. That would have helped the cause immensely.

extremerouge
10-26-2008, 04:52 PM
These teams make it based on ranking.

#3 Cal Poly, #5 Montana, #6 Wofford, #8 Richmond, #10 New Hampshire, #13 Southern Illinois, #14 Western Illinois,

I have said this a couple times before, but what has Richmond done to deserve the playoffs and such a high ranking...I could say the same about New Hampshire, but they only have 1 loss, tough to argue that...