PDA

View Full Version : This Season - What Happened

GOB1SON
10-20-2008, 10:21 PM
As I look back on the season, a few thoughts:

1) Crucify Mertens if you want, but go gently. I have been a supporter of his for the whole season because I think he has good athletic skills and we have been told since day one that he was the next QB and would fill that role. Plus he is a local kid (75 miles is local) and I really wanted him to do well. But the expectations were too high, he made a few mistakes and now his confidence has to be shot. I was actually hoping to see Jackson on Saturday. The fact that we did not means that he probably will never start a game unless due to injury. He must be really struggling, because I know the guy taking the snaps certainly was. I don’t know if the coaching staff will stay with him, but I hope they do and he can put some of this behind him. But he really looks rattled right now.

2) The real culprit is the Offensive Line play. It is truly offensive. The interior line is getting schooled on almost each and every play. Tyler is best when he has steam and only linebackers and safeties to worry about, but if he can’t find a crease, then he isn’t going to be very good. And a lot, and I mean a lot, of the troubles with the QB are pressure related. Now I am not making excuses, but if your two 6’something 300+ O-Guards are getting blown up right back into you on your drops, then it is hard to keep a cool head and deliver a clean ball by stepping into your throw. Now that I have seen in person some MVFC play, it is obvious to me that we are not big enough or athletic enough for this conference along the O-Line. Talk all you want about recruiting a QB, but this is where the offensive woes start.

3) Speed, Speed, Speed. While we are faster than we have been, we are still not fast enough for the MVFC. Skill wide receivers can still run by our corners, while our receivers struggle to create room for themselves against league teams. When was the last time one of our backs outran someone to the corner on a sweep? Why do we keep running inside? Some call it vanilla play calling, but the truth is we aren’t fast enough to create room to break plays, so vanilla it is. We try to get to the corner and there are 2 or 3 backers and corners there. Meanwhile our defensive ends are slower than the O Tackles they are going up against. Speed kills.

4) Expectations. WAY TOO HIGH. I drank it up too, even though I knew I shouldn’t. I knew that instead of 20-2 over the past couple years, we probably should be something like 16-6, 17-5. Based on game performance, name one game we could have won that we lost, and don’t say Minnesota ’06. That game we should have lost. Now name the games we could have lost but won. Ball State, Davis, Poly, Sam Houston. The laws of regression were staring at us pretty damn hard. It was about time that we regressed back to the mean a little bit. And we have a new starting quarterback and a new big-time league to deal with and I knew that wins on the road, especially the first time into a new venue, were hard to come by. But I still drank it up, putting my faith in the coaches and an unproven QB. The expectations for this team should have been much more realistic. Just to be in the hunt for the playoffs and a league championship would have been pretty good given the circumstances.

But all in all, I think the future is pretty bright for the team. NDSU has the resources: money, administrative support, incredible fan base that is willing to give more money. It has the coaching (I think!!!) staff and tradition it needs. Fargo is hard to recruit to, but I believe they can do it. But it is going to take more than one year to get there. In fact, based on what I have seen of the league so far, it will be a dogfight each and every year. But it should make for some damn fine football.

Enough. Bring it on.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-20-2008, 10:37 PM

1) Crucify Mertens if you want, but go gently. I have been a supporter of his for the whole season because I think he has good athletic skills and we have been told since day one that he was the next QB and would fill that role. Plus he is a local kid (75 miles is local) and I really wanted him to do well. But the expectations were too high, he made a few mistakes and now his confidence has to be shot. I was actually hoping to see Jackson on Saturday. The fact that we did not means that he probably will never start a game unless due to injury. He must be really struggling, because I know the guy taking the snaps certainly was. I don’t know if the coaching staff will stay with him, but I hope they do and he can put some of this behind him. But he really looks rattled right now.

2) The real culprit is the Offensive Line play. It is truly offensive. The interior line is getting schooled on almost each and every play. Tyler is best when he has steam and only linebackers and safeties to worry about, but if he can’t find a crease, then he isn’t going to be very good. And a lot, and I mean a lot, of the troubles with the QB are pressure related. Now I am not making excuses, but if your two 6’something 300+ O-Guards are getting blown up right back into you on your drops, then it is hard to keep a cool head and deliver a clean ball by stepping into your throw. Now that I have seen in person some MVFC play, it is obvious to me that we are not big enough or athletic enough for this conference along the O-Line. Talk all you want about recruiting a QB, but this is where the offensive woes start.

3) Speed, Speed, Speed. While we are faster than we have been, we are still not fast enough for the MVFC. Skill wide receivers can still run by our corners, while our receivers struggle to create room for themselves against league teams. When was the last time one of our backs outran someone to the corner on a sweep? Why do we keep running inside? Some call it vanilla play calling, but the truth is we aren’t fast enough to create room to break plays, so vanilla it is. We try to get to the corner and there are 2 or 3 backers and corners there. Meanwhile our defensive ends are slower than the O Tackles they are going up against. Speed kills.

4) Expectations. WAY TOO HIGH. I drank it up too, even though I knew I shouldn’t. I knew that instead of 20-2 over the past couple years, we probably should be something like 16-6, 17-5. Based on game performance, name one game we could have won that we lost, and don’t say Minnesota ’06. That game we should have lost. Now name the games we could have lost but won. Ball State, Davis, Poly, Sam Houston. The laws of regression were staring at us pretty damn hard. It was about time that we regressed back to the mean a little bit. And we have a new starting quarterback and a new big-time league to deal with and I knew that wins on the road, especially the first time into a new venue, were hard to come by. But I still drank it up, putting my faith in the coaches and an unproven QB. The expectations for this team should have been much more realistic. Just to be in the hunt for the playoffs and a league championship would have been pretty good given the circumstances.

But all in all, I think the future is pretty bright for the team. NDSU has the resources: money, administrative support, incredible fan base that is willing to give more money. It has the coaching (I think!!!) staff and tradition it needs. Fargo is hard to recruit to, but I believe they can do it. But it is going to take more than one year to get there. In fact, based on what I have seen of the league so far, it will be a dogfight each and every year. But it should make for some damn fine football.

Enough. Bring it on.

you related to CA???? :D

Cliff notes???

Good post!!!

SDbison
10-20-2008, 11:05 PM

Enough. Bring it on.
Without getting into detail I strongly disagree how much of a pedastal some of you have placed the MVFC. Not denying it is a great conference, but NDSU should have been positioned to do well. QB problems among other issues have plagued the current Bison team.

Jdubs21
10-20-2008, 11:07 PM
injuries injuries and more fricken injuries

BisoninNWMN
10-21-2008, 12:28 AM
We have/had the talent this year to win this conference. Too inconsistent and underpreformance is what hurt us so far.

MV is good but we should contend for the title every year.....no reason why we can't!!!

Better and faster receivers is a good start and better O-lineman. Wouldn't surprise me if that Lund and o-lineman from Michigan start on the line next year as RFR.

PantherHawk Says Hey Spud
10-21-2008, 12:42 AM
Ummmmmmm........you got a schedule for once?

X-Factor
10-21-2008, 12:51 AM

Enough. Bring it on.

The Missouri Valley is a great conference, but you are giving it WAYYYY too much credit and not nearly enough credit to our past opponents. This isn't the SEC. News flash, we did win 3 out of 4 against FBS during that time from and it should have been 4 out of 4. I doubt like hell the MVFC as a whole is at that pace. This team simply is not as good or underachieving rather than the Missouri Valley being that much of a step up. It is a great conference and I want to reiterate that I love it, but the Bison are PERFECTLY matched here at the present time. We played and beat some TOUGH teams the last few years including MVFC teams. The difference this year is the Bison product on the field.

Speed? LMFAO. IMO Bison have plenty of speed on the roster. It worked the previous two seasons with athletes that the southern boys claimed were "slow" and we consistently blew those teams out. All it takes is a couple solid players at key positions that we don't currently have and this season would be completely different. We would be talking about national titles instead of our preference of white or dark turkey meat for thanksgiving dinner.

The best defense is a good offense. What makes an offense go is a really good O-line and a really good QB. Two things we had the previous two seasons that seem to be void of this Bison team. I could name as little as 3 players possibly as few as two that were on last years Bison team but ran out of eligibility that would put this 08 season at an easy 7-0.

Really, we are very close to having an outstanding team...but it is obviously just not there for these reasons.

BisoninNWMN
10-21-2008, 01:05 AM

LOL....go back to the kiddy pool you idiot

We've had tuff schedules the last few years.

See you in our house.......guarantee we'll beat you by more than 10 points.

56BISON73
10-21-2008, 01:07 AM
LOL....go back to the kiddy pool you idiot

We've had tuff schedules the last few years.

See you in our house.......guarantee we'll beat you by more than 10 points.

Dont feed the troll. Thats why hes here. PL

BigBison
10-21-2008, 01:10 AM

I dont want to feed him I want to bash his face in. Ok that was probably over the line, but these UNI fans need a good plate of shut the hell up. And I know it wont do any good doing that on a message board, it can only be done on the field.

BisoninNWMN
10-21-2008, 01:10 AM

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

PL... you're right......."can't fix stupid":D

HerdBot
10-21-2008, 01:40 AM

Enough. Bring it on.

1) QB play
2) Injuries lead to inexperienced players being out of position.
3) Special teams - blocked punts, bad coverage, missed field goals and PAT's!
4) Cannot stop the run
5) Cannot pressure the QB without the blitz
6) Play calling - Probably a product of a QB not being able to make plays but we are predictible as hell.
7) Slow wide receivers. What's the last time someone took a quick slant to the house? (Heckendorf at Wyoming) Belquist has been a big time dissapointment this year.
8) Poor production at TE. Wurzbacher drops too many.
9) Poor red zone offense.
10) Bad luck and timing. After two 10-1 seasons, odds are we should have some bad luck.

We're just a real inconsistent team. One week we can't stop the run. THe next week we miss 3 field goals. The next week we get stupid penalties. The next week we drop 5 balls.

HerdBot
10-21-2008, 01:50 AM

I think the MVFC is incredible and we have never played 3 teams in a row the caliber of SIU, WIU, and UNI. We went 1-2. We should have gone 2-1. We're all good teams and you guys are really tough at home. Man anyone can win in this league... SIU beats UNI, NDSU beats SIU, UNI beats NDSU, SDSU beats WIU, WIU beats NDSU... SDSU has played the toughest schedule.

We need a few more years of max scholarships to get the depth to holdup over a full season.

Can't wait to play you guys next year. We're much better at home and hopefully we have a different QB!

CaBisonFan
10-21-2008, 04:09 AM

You aren't a UNI fan. You are from a jealous place that is well known to us.

CaBisonFan
10-21-2008, 04:10 AM
I dont want to feed him I want to bash his face in. Ok that was probably over the line, but these UNI fans need a good plate of shut the hell up. And I know it wont do any good doing that on a message board, it can only be done on the field.

No problem bashing this idiot.

My opinion?

'It' is not a UNI fan. 'It' is from somewhere more familiar to us.

CaBisonFan
10-21-2008, 04:18 AM
With a more experienced quarterback that was very confident, and a little better luck with a few injuries...we're undefeated or have one loss right now.

When you run a west coast offense...you live or die with a QB that turns the wheels in the right direction.

When you can't hang onto the ball...the defense has no legs left after about one quarter.

Ball control is everything. Finding the 2nd & 3rd receiver, checking off at the line, and making great decisions is a prerequisite with the west coast.

That's why I'm not a big fan of it. It's cool when it works. You need a coach behind center.

It's not Nick's fault. He was thrown to the lions with hardly any playing time. I believe that quarterbacks, no matter how talented, can go stale if they sit for a few years...with little hope of playing.

Lots of pressure for a 20-something to take over the reigns of a #1 ranked team. It just hasn't worked. Nick is an outstanding athlete. It just isn't working. The coaches should have seen it this spring. The offense should have been changed to some type of option running game that sets up the pass. The west coast does the opposite.

CaBisonFan
10-21-2008, 04:24 AM
you related to CA???? :D

Cliff notes???

Good post!!!

I'll call Cliff for you.

UTH
10-21-2008, 04:25 AM
No problem bashing this idiot.

My opinion?

'It' is not a UNI fan. 'It' is from somewhere more familiar to us.

Why is this troll getting so much attention? He isn't even that good. If you really feel a need to respond, just write your post and don't hit the "Submit Reply" button until after you come back to the computer a couple hours later. Rethink the wisdom of going through with it then and hopefully just close the window.

bisoneer
10-21-2008, 04:32 AM
My novice observations as I have not played the college game ever but I have been an armchair qb for many years:

We need a better OL, either different personnel or more experience (like they are getting now).
We are not getting blown out by 3, 4 or 5 scores but we are also really not "in" the games and need to make miracle plays to have a shot at winning.
Our QB needs more time and now needs to get his confidence back.
We have had a lot of dropped balls by recievers, hearing footsteps?
Rohl has never gotten on track since the ankle sprain, and brought him back too early, did not need to play him in Wyo. game.
Kicking needs to improve and special teams as well.

Oh well, season tickets should actually be available next year for everyone!