PDA

View Full Version : Redshirting in DI

BraxtonT
10-20-2008, 08:30 PM
Tyler Jangula, Tyler Roehl, Shamen Washington, etc....

With all the opinions flying around whether to keep or pull Jose's redshirt, I've come to my conclusion based on previous Bison football players' experiences. In the old days of DII, a 'redshirt' player would easily receive a "hardship" in an injury situation later on in his career. DI is a different game, an already redshirted player who gets injured is basically screwed for that year. There are no guarantees on health, so let him play now. If he gets injured a year or two down the road, he can then take his 'redshirt'.

We are in a QB crisis right now. I'll give Coach Bohl props for being proactive this time, but I wish he had been before allowing this situation to happen.

We can not worry about 2012 right now. 2008 is a loss, but 2009 still can be a good year. Exploring the options to improve on next year's team is imperative.

ad guy
10-20-2008, 10:13 PM
I totally agree.

Let's see what Mohler can do. He'll probably make some mistakes, but I'd rather have him make those mistakes this year than next year when we have a clean slate.

Taking off his redshirt shouldn't matter. If in the next four year's we don't recruit a suitable heir QB, then something is seriously wrong. It was a huge mistake by our coaching staff not to bring in a QB in the '07 class. It's hard see three QB's leaving the program, but that's why you have to bring new guys in every year.

If Mohler plays, at least that will peak the interest of the fans so the FD won't be a ghost town for the remaining home games.