PDA

View Full Version : Fans that traveled to UNI

NDSUFan_Sav
10-20-2008, 03:10 AM
Hey I just want to thank every fan that did make the trip down there even though it didn't end how we wanted it.

I am curious to how loud the UNI fans get compared to the fans at the FFD???

Comparable??? Do most of them stand or sit??? What was your experience down in the Uni-dome???

Over the radio on key 3rd downs in the 2nd half i heard the bison fans being really loud...

BraxtonT
10-20-2008, 05:20 AM
There is no comparison. UNIdome is louder. I'm not implying FargoDome fans don't get loud, but the acoustics suck in our dome. In Cedar Falls it seemed as though all the noise bounces off the roof and comes right back at you.

CaBisonFan
10-20-2008, 05:42 AM
There is no comparison. UNIdome is louder. I'm not implying FargoDome fans don't get loud, but the acoustics suck in our dome. In Cedar Falls it seemed as though all the noise bounces off the roof and comes right back at you.

The TV broadcast made the Unidome sound like an echo chamber. The Fargo Dome has some echo, but in comparison to UNI, it's a dead chamber. Maybe that's part of what I felt during the WIU game when I visited. It seemed dead. I know that there were people yelling their guts out.

The Bison fans sounded great at UNI.

tony
10-20-2008, 05:43 AM
Part of it that we were sitting pretty across from the student section but, yeah, the acoustics are much better than the Fargodome for making noise.

Anyway, win or lose, I always have a great time tailgating, seeing old (and I mean OLD) friends, and watching the Bison play so there's no need to thank me for showing up 'cause it has always been a pleasure to watch the Bison. Great turnout of Bison fans. Also cool that UNI fans had "Beat the Bison" t-shirts.

JCPanthers
10-20-2008, 05:46 AM
There is no comparison. UNIdome is louder. I'm not implying FargoDome fans don't get loud, but the acoustics suck in our dome. In Cedar Falls it seemed as though all the noise bounces off the roof and comes right back at you.A few years ago, they replaced the teflon roof with a metal one....and ever since then the noise level has been unbelieveable. I can't remember who it was...but one of the opposing coaches who just got done playing at Penn State, was asked about the noise level at Beaver Stadium. He responded by comparing it to the UNI Dome and that the UNI Dome was louder.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-20-2008, 05:49 AM
A few years ago, they replaced the teflon roof with a metal one....and ever since then the noise level has been unbelieveable. I can't remember who it was...but one of the opposing coaches who just got done playing at Penn State, was asked about the noise level at Beaver Stadium. He responded by comparing it to the UNI Dome and that the UNI Dome was louder.

so if we had that we'd make it rocking?

NDSUstudent
10-20-2008, 05:51 AM
Sav....We have a metal roof, it is just the Fargodome is much bigger then the UNIdome(the sound has more places to go). The UNIdome is kind of like the Alerus in how it can generate noise.

RocktheUNIDome
10-20-2008, 05:52 AM
I'd like to think Panther fans are just amazingly loud, but the metal roof really does wonders for sound.

Also, the UNI Student/Alumni organization always hands out "Beat the ___" for whichever team we play that week. I think this is the second year for that.

Did any Bison fans get to check out the rest of our campus? I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts on that as well as the Dome, etc.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-20-2008, 05:55 AM
Sav....We have a metal roof, it is just the Fargodome is much bigger then the UNIdome. It is kind of like the Alerus but with a taller roof and better sightlines.

well i meant like a more closed in area, from the craig bohl show it looked like it was more closed in? yeah i know we hold 3k more so its gotta be bigger....

Basically if we put our 19k or even 16k in there it would be just as loud i'm guessing?

NDSUstudent
10-20-2008, 06:01 AM
I'd like to think Panther fans are just amazingly loud, but the metal roof really does wonders for sound.

Also, the UNI Student/Alumni organization always hands out "Beat the ___" for whichever team we play that week. I think this is the second year for that.

Did any Bison fans get to check out the rest of our campus? I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts on that as well as the Dome, etc.

The UNIdome was nice, I could enjoy watching some more games there. Tailgating was good, I liked the laid back approach by security and the weather couldn't have been better.

I'll also probably avoid Waterloo next time, the town was kind of depressing. That said, pretty much everyone I came across was classy and respectful before and after the game.

NDSUstudent
10-20-2008, 06:04 AM
well i meant like a more closed in area, from the craig bohl show it looked like it was more closed in? yeah i know we hold 3k more so its gotta be bigger....

Basically if we put our 19k or even 16k in there it would be just as loud i'm guessing?

I don't know if you have ever been to the Alerus but that is my best comparison. The UNIdome is more closed in and the sound is more concentrated. Our student section would crazy in that kind of stadium, especially if they put us on the 50 like UNI does.

JayJ79
10-20-2008, 06:52 AM
I am curious to how loud the UNI fans get compared to the fans at the FFD???

Comparable??? Do most of them stand or sit??? What was your experience down in the Uni-dome???

Over the radio on key 3rd downs in the 2nd half i heard the bison fans being really loud...

The fans at UNI have a dreadful habit of being too quiet.
The student section has gotten better at cheering and such, but they don't always have huge numbers (and unfortunately most seem to be there more for the social aspect than to actually enjoy the game itself. And a large number leaves at halftime, which is pathetic).

And on the West side (the side of the visitors bench) is often a large number of older season ticket holders who spend more time grumbling about fans in front of them standing up, than they do actually cheering. (I have a couple right behind my season ticket seat location that whines all the time, and I usually only stand for defensive third downs and the like).

Thankfully, the acoustics of the UNI-Dome itself does help. But I can only imagine what a really fervent football crowd could do.

Anyhow, this game might not have turned out like people thought it would going into the season. But I'm quite certain the UNI/NDSU rivalry will rekindle and will probably end up on par with our rivalry with SIU.

Sorry to hear that some of the visiting Bison fans had troubles with some of the UNI fans. Alas, we're not immune to the bad apples that have a tendancy to appear in just about all fanbases.

And I look forward to perhaps making the trip up your way next season.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-20-2008, 06:56 AM
The fans at UNI have a dreadful habit of being too quiet.
The student section has gotten better at cheering and such, but they don't always have huge numbers (and unfortunately most seem to be there more for the social aspect than to actually enjoy the game itself. And a large number leaves at halftime, which is pathetic).

And on the West side (the side of the visitors bench) is often a large number of older season ticket holders who spend more time grumbling about fans in front of them standing up, than they do actually cheering. (I have a couple right behind my season ticket seat location that whines all the time, and I usually only stand for defensive third downs and the like).

Thankfully, the acoustics of the UNI-Dome itself does help. But I can only imagine what a really fervent football crowd could do.

Anyhow, this game might not have turned out like people thought it would going into the season. But I'm quite certain the UNI/NDSU rivalry will rekindle and will probably end up on par with our rivalry with SIU.

Sorry to hear that some of the visiting Bison fans had troubles with some of the UNI fans. Alas, we're not immune to the bad apples that have a tendancy to appear in just about all fanbases.

And I look forward to perhaps making the trip up your way next season.

Thanks for the concern, kind of sounds like the FFD in some areas as well, and if you do make it here let us know on bisonville and we'll be willing to share a drink tailgating or talk....good game and good luck the rest of the season...btw your coach had a great plan of attack on defense.

bisonpride4ever
10-20-2008, 07:02 AM
I don't know bout you guys but, IMO, i thought the UNIDome was kind of a dump. It looked like an older shittier version of the tinshed in sueville. Their fans were like ours at the fargodome, they only stood up on a few plays. I don't think they got told to sit down like our fans would've. I noticed a couple of their fans were getting pissed cause we stood the whole game and cheered our asses off and the UNI fans were kinda sitting on their hands and they were trying to get the fans do be like us but it never really caught on. The seating chart was really fucked up. half of the section would be one letter and have would be another as opposed to the whole section being one letter or number. (e.g. my wife and i had seats in row three section R. sign said section R so we went to our seats only to be told that half the section is section S and the other half was R. so we had to move to another section in what i think was the right spot, i don't know since no one kicked us out. bleacher seats with crappy metal backs were a joke. I don't know what to think about the UNI Panther garage door they walked out off. They showed the team waiting to run out on the bigscreen and i guarantee our fans are 1000000 times louder than theirs when our team is getting ready to run out on the field. Overall place was a pile and I'd take the FargoDome over that place anyday.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-20-2008, 07:06 AM
yeah from what i saw on craig bohl show the endzones had no seats on either sides??? and looked like i saw ply wood or some time of wood for whatever it was??? quick glimpse so not exactly sure

JayJ79
10-20-2008, 07:23 AM
The seating chart was really fucked up. half of the section would be one letter and have would be another as opposed to the whole section being one letter or number. (e.g. my wife and i had seats in row three section R. sign said section R so we went to our seats only to be told that half the section is section S and the other half was R. so we had to move to another section in what i think was the right spot, i don't know since no one kicked us out.

It's not that difficult. The sections are centered on the aisle (as opposed to the aisles running between different sections) with 12 or so seats of that section on one side of the aisle (numbered 1-12) and the other 12 or so seats on the other side of the aisle (numbered 101-112). And all the seatbacks in a section are the same color, with a different color for the next section over.

WYOBISONMAN
10-20-2008, 12:38 PM
I was impressed with the UNI Dome. It was a great facility. It also was indeed a great place to tailgate with a minimal police presence. But....then again....at the Fargodome, the police have never been anything but great.

Bisonfan1
10-20-2008, 01:11 PM
I was impressed with the UNI Dome. It was a great facility. It also was indeed a great place to tailgate with a minimal police presence. But....then again....at the Fargodome, the police have never been anything but great.

Good as place to mention here as any - We had a pretty large tailgate last home game, and of course as we were starting to prepare to tear down, had a pretty good downpour. As the rain let down we started pulling the flags, grills, ez-ups etc. As we were all busy doing this here come;s Mr Yellow Jacket Fargo PD wanna be with a young female Fargo PD officer who told us we had to get moving into the game "huh" we are working as fast as we can, we all want to make the intro etc. Away they went, 5 minutes later they return at approximately 1433 hrs and start giving us crap again ? wtf - there was nobody standing around at all, everyone was stuffing stuff into vehicles etc, NOBODY even had a drink in their hand !!

By the time they got done flapping their jaws at us (approximately 1 minute) the final key was being turned in the lock. As I departed for the game and looked around, there were large groups of people standing around with drink cups ??? One person in our group was a little iritated by all this and asked them if they could plainly see we were minutes from packing everything away and that there was really no reason to come over and strong arm us.

This all goes back to experience and training, when people are moving along, obviously working as fast as they can then leaving well enough alone is the protocol. It sounds like UNI had the watch but not hassle policy in place, this makes for a far much better overall experience, wish I could have been there. BTW - we were inside the dome by 1440 hrs. Would have been in sooner if everyone that participated at the tailgate would have helped tear down.

lakesbison
10-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Not ONE policeman walked through the NDSU tailgate lot on saturday.. and NOT ONE PROBLEM AROSE..

people were crazy, fun, just letting it all hang out....

TAKE NOTE FARGO P.D....... TAKE NOTE......

oldpharm
10-20-2008, 01:58 PM
Good as place to mention here as any - We had a pretty large tailgate last home game, and of course as we were starting to prepare to tear down, had a pretty good downpour. As the rain let down we started pulling the flags, grills, ez-ups etc. As we were all busy doing this here come;s Mr Yellow Jacket Fargo PD wanna be with a young female Fargo PD officer who told us we had to get moving into the game "huh" we are working as fast as we can, we all want to make the intro etc. Away they went, 5 minutes later they return at approximately 1433 hrs and start giving us crap again ? wtf - there was nobody standing around at all, everyone was stuffing stuff into vehicles etc, NOBODY even had a drink in their hand !!

By the time they got done flapping their jaws at us (approximately 1 minute) the final key was being turned in the lock. As I departed for the game and looked around, there were large groups of people standing around with drink cups ??? One person in our group was a little iritated by all this and asked them if they could plainly see we were minutes from packing everything away and that there was really no reason to come over and strong arm us.

This all goes back to experience and training, when people are moving along, obviously working as fast as they can then leaving well enough alone is the protocol. It sounds like UNI had the watch but not hassle policy in place, this makes for a far much better overall experience, wish I could have been there. BTW - we were inside the dome by 1440 hrs. Would have been in sooner if everyone that participated at the tailgate would have helped tear down.

I agree....if that was going on it is BS and should not happen. NDSU Tailgating is always an orderly event that has well behaved fans.....not sober fans.....but well behaved.

JayJ79
10-20-2008, 02:02 PM
As we were all busy doing this here come;s Mr Yellow Jacket Fargo PD wanna be with a young female Fargo PD officer...

Was it Margie?
http://freenet-homepage.de/razorreel_3/YVES/marge2.jpg

Sorry, sorry. I'm sure y'all get sick of Coen Bros. references.

Till
10-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Tailgating was great. I wish we could have made it down in the van to join the other rigs that made it.

As far as the dome, we were lucky because there were 10 of us in the very top row of section P so we stood the whole game. One slightly over-served member of our crew even got into a stand-off with a very annoying UNi fan. He stood the whole game, but she couldn't take the heat and had to sit at half time.

Even the higher-up in the boxes above our seats leaned out and commented how great the representation from NDSU was. Not just numbers, but how much we cheered.

Thundering_Herd
10-20-2008, 05:28 PM
I thought the UNI fans were fairly quite, and I was very surprised that the UNIDome wasn’t full. Maybe it would’ve been different if the two teams had come in undefeated, but I was just assuming that it was going to be packed. I’m sure they were embarrassed by their poor fan turnout and by the fact that our crowd was so large and loud. The “Bison Home Game!” chant just before the teams shook hands was awesome!

These road games are so much fun because it really brings out the true die-hard Bison fans. We should be very proud of our turnout and our ability to invade the opponent’s stadiums. Too bad we can’t be proud of our quarterback and offense at this point. :-(

KTF
10-20-2008, 06:10 PM
My dad and I made the trip down. Under 5 hours for me, 3 hours for him. We had a good time. Had a great time talking to the UNI fans that surrounded us in section L. There was a large group of Bison fans two rows behind us.

We arrived in town about 2:45 or so. We talked with a lifelong fan during the pre-game warm ups. He was a class act with nothing but the utmost respect for the Bison. After the game, I have to say that I have a lot of respect for the UNI team as well. They are a tough squad. The 2006 or 2007 version of the Bison would have blown this game open in a hurry...ahh the good ole days...

There were quite a few Bison player parents standing around us during the pre-game warm up. They seemed to be having a good time however there was an underlying edginess to them, rightfully so with the current team situation.

I have to congratulate the fans that did travel to the game! I definitely could hear the cheers in section L.

The best part of the experience was when the diehard UNI fans behind us (6 reitred John Deere Employees) started making fun of the RB from UNI that lost 40 some yards in play. We all had a good chuckle.

As for the game, well that is a different story...

56BISON73
10-20-2008, 06:17 PM
The announcer on TV said they had to go to Waterloo to get the first down. LOL PL

Da_Bizon
10-20-2008, 06:54 PM
I concur that you should avoid Waterloo... it was a pretty derpessing city and we were advised by the person next to us that going outside at night probably was not a good idea.

As far as tailgating, you couldn't have asked for a better day. The herd showed up in droves and we had a great time. It was a nice area to tailgate. The only drawback was the distance you had to walk to the port-a-potties.

As far as the UNI Dome, I was less than impressed. The acoustics were nice, but I thought the overall quality left a little to be desired. No endzone seating, confusing seating areas, no hyped-up team intro like at the FFD, and crappy consessions.

Overall, though, it was a good trip with lots of great UNI fans. All of the ones I met were good people and I can't wait to have them up here next year.

Till
10-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Was it just me or did the paper the next morning say that was their Homecoming game?......

Really?

Really?

Our least attended game in the rain and snow will have more tailgater's from the home team.

RocktheUNIDome
10-20-2008, 07:12 PM
Was it just me or did the paper the next morning say that was their Homecoming game?......

Really?

Really?

Our least attended game in the rain and snow will have more tailgater's from the home team.

No, our homecoming game was the previous week against Illinois State. Attendance was 16,100 for that game, a couple hundred short of a sell out. Still, attendance has been disappointing compared to last years string of sell outs. Granted we were 12-1 last year with a #1 ranking.

Also, I agree, Waterloo is a disgusting place. Cedar Falls takes major steps to separate its image from Waterloo, and for good reason.

kab1one
10-20-2008, 11:13 PM
Not ONE policeman walked through the NDSU tailgate lot on saturday.. and NOT ONE PROBLEM AROSE..

people were crazy, fun, just letting it all hang out....

TAKE NOTE FARGO P.D....... TAKE NOTE......

BUt not only that I ain't seen nuttin like the Ice Cube in Fargo. Lakes you the man.

Bisonette
10-21-2008, 12:42 AM
I would like to avoid Iowa all together, I didnt really like the town.

The tailgating was ok, except I wish there were more port-a-potties. When I had to go to the bathroom it was across the road close to the UNI Dome and when i got there, must of been 15 people in line for 3 port-a-potties.

The casino in waterloo was nice though, just took some time to get to it.

Thundering_Herd
10-21-2008, 01:45 AM
yeah from what i saw on craig bohl show the endzones had no seats on either sides??? and looked like i saw ply wood or some time of wood for whatever it was??? quick glimpse so not exactly sure

Yeah, the UNI fan sitting behind me was asking me, “you guys have a dome up there too, right?” I was telling him how the FFD seats 19K, has seats in the endzones, about our sellouts that we’ve had, etc, etc,…. “SEATS IN THE ENDZONES??!?!?!???,” he says. It was like a totally novel and exciting idea to this guy. Yup, pretty crazy, Buddy……….seats in the endzones.

Twentysix
10-21-2008, 01:50 AM

The UNI dome was loud, the Attendance was horrible, and the stadium looked like crap. The Seats were little league baseball bleachers with little kid sand tractor seats on the back, however the campus was more appealing than NDSU's and i liked the fact that there were almost no streets on campus. Other than noise this stadium is milleniums behind the FFD.

Twentysix
10-21-2008, 01:51 AM
They actually announced and were proud of less than 14k people.

56BISON73
10-21-2008, 01:52 AM
The UNI dome was loud, the Attendance was horrible, and the stadium looked like crap. The Seats were little league baseball bleachers with little kid sand tractor seats on the back, however the campus was more appealing than NDSU's and i liked the fact that there were almost no streets on campus. Other than noise this stadium is milleniums behind the FFD.

The UNI dome is much older if Im not correct. Didnt they build it in 76??? PL

Twentysix
10-21-2008, 01:52 AM
As i drove through parts of waterloo i noticed that a good chunk of the city lacked sidewalks? And more than 50% of there intersections were AVE and AVE or St and St. Quite a confusing place.

GOB1SON
10-21-2008, 02:02 AM
I think that it had a little more atmosphere than the Fargodome. I liked that music during time outs, etc... (why can't we sing Thunderstruck? Imagine everybody shouting THUNDER! na na na na na na na na THUNDER!) I liked the idea of the panther growl, even though IT was gay and sounded more like a meow.

The FFD is nicer, but it sure would be great if it could get that loud.

Once again, we had a great day most of the UNI fans very polite.

MHDBisonfan
10-21-2008, 02:30 AM

Well, before we make fun of 14,000, lets wait until our next home game attendence is announced. Many people will have fallen off the bandwagon by then. Fairweather fans suck. :mad:

JayJ79
10-21-2008, 02:58 AM

The Fargodome was completed in '92, at the cost of $48 million, financed by the city, state, and taxes.
The UNI-Dome was completed in '76, at the cost of $7 million, with funds primarily raised by the college.

I admit the bleachers/seats aren't the most comfortable. But they're better than most of the other stadiums I've been to around the league. And besides, I'm usually too busy cheering to worry much about seat comfort.

JayJ79
10-21-2008, 03:00 AM

Attendance is announced every game.
And I don't know too many people that were proud of the attendance level.
But anyway.

roadwarrior
10-21-2008, 03:04 AM
I liked that music during time outs, etc...

NO! NO! NO! It took us years to get rid of the piped in music between plays at the Fargodome!

HerdBot
10-21-2008, 03:16 AM
NO! NO! NO! It took us years to get rid of the piped in music between plays at the Fargodome!

I liked the piped in music. Problem is they piped in music on EVERY PLAY and it became annoying. I wish we had a mix of band and piped in music.

It is suprising that 13,000 fans sound louder than 19,000. I know it has a metal roof and it's smaller but it should still not be louder. 7,000 people can make a lot of noise. By that argument, the Fargodome should be louder than the Metrodome. It's not even close.

UNI must have a fan base that likes to get a little crazy and we have a bunch of old people with bad hips. Or maybe it sounded louder because you were next to a loud section or students?

roadwarrior
10-21-2008, 03:24 AM
The design of the domes has a lot to do with the loudness. They attempted to design the Fargodome so that sound doesnt bounce off of every surface to make concerts a viable event. The UNI-Dome basically has an upside down tin bowl as a roof. Any sound gets magnified in there.

BigBison
10-21-2008, 03:29 AM
The design of the domes has a lot to do with the loudness. They attempted to design the Fargodome so that sound doesnt bounce off of every surface to make concerts a viable event. The UNI-Dome basically has an upside down tin bowl as a roof. Any sound gets magnified in there.

True UNI Dome's roof acts as a big old megaphone. And were at the open end.

GOB1SON
10-21-2008, 03:30 AM

Not between plays, but a scripted music selection designed to get the students excited, etc...

I agree that music between each play is overkill, but I love it when they sing Sweet Caroline at Fenway. Everybody knows it's coming, everybody is ready and it really boosts the energy. Something like that.

steelbison
10-21-2008, 04:06 AM
Thought it was a nice dome. Reminded me of the dome up north. Flater seating and no endzone. Much louder than the FargoDome. Just because of the building. Had nothing to do with the cheering. Hated the keys thing during Kickoffs. Was very impressed with the players/coaching staff.

UNI is a LEVEL above NDSU. We have a long way to go before we will compete for the conference championship. Let alone a national championship. There players were bigger/stronger/faster. There skill position players were miles ahead of us. The QB was a stud. The RB was so quick and number #4 was a playmaker I wish we had. They had a stud D-line/O-line. Good linebackers. Did not see a weakness on this team. Plus they have a lot of underclassmen that are playing. Even true freshman contributing. There kick-off return man is a true freshman and listening to the post-game report their coach figures he might be one of the best to play at UNI.

The banner with all the conference championships was impressive. Like I said in my humble opinion we have a long way to go. I think if they wanted to they could have easily scored 40 on us. I think with the lead they went conservative in the second half.

Very disappointed in our oline/dline play. They owned the trenches.

UTH
10-21-2008, 04:19 AM

Took a whole hour to get a response.http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/funnylaughpoundfistsmilies.gifhttp://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/funnylaughpoundfistsmilies.gifhttp://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/funnylaughpoundfistsmilies.gifhttp://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/funnylaughpoundfistsmilies.gifhttp://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/funnylaughpoundfistsmilies.gifhttp://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/funnylaughpoundfistsmilies.gifhttp://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/funnylaughpoundfistsmilies.gifhttp://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/funnylaughpoundfistsmilies.gif

RocktheUNIDome
10-21-2008, 05:26 AM

Besides the academics, UNI's campus was the big thing that drew me to Cedar Falls. I absolutely love our campus. Like you said, with barely any streets on campus, it has a very park like atmosphere and the mix of older and more modern architecture is really nice.

The Fargo Dome has obvious advantages, but I think most of that comes with age. The UNI Dome is over 30 years old, so in that respect, I think it has held up pretty well. And like noted, the noise is a huge benefit. If you think that game was loud, imagine the SIU game (Homecoming) were we were ranked 2, SIU was #7, and we had our largest crowd ever for a football game, over 17,000 (capacity is 16,300). WOW!

NDSUFan_Sav
10-21-2008, 06:00 AM
Well, before we make fun of 14,000, lets wait until our next home game attendence is announced. Many people will have fallen off the bandwagon by then. Fairweather fans suck. :mad:

look at their record compared to us...they'll more then likely be going to the playoffs.

Big Cat
10-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Keep in mind that the UNIDOME ws built 9 years before UNI moved to Div. I. Can you imangine the problem of trying to fund raise over $7,000,000 to build a 16,000 seat stadium for a D-II school? It took a lot of salemanship and the leaders of the project had to sell the community on a vision for the FUTURE and what could be. UNI fans owe a great big thank you to Stan Sheriff and Darrell Mudra. (AD and FB coach in the 70's)

WYOBISONMAN
10-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Besides the academics, UNI's campus was the big thing that drew me to Cedar Falls. I absolutely love our campus. Like you said, with barely any streets on campus, it has a very park like atmosphere and the mix of older and more modern architecture is really nice.

The Fargo Dome has obvious advantages, but I think most of that comes with age. The UNI Dome is over 30 years old, so in that respect, I think it has held up pretty well. And like noted, the noise is a huge benefit. If you think that game was loud, imagine the SIU game (Homecoming) were we were ranked 2, SIU was #7, and we had our largest crowd ever for a football game, over 17,000 (capacity is 16,300). WOW!

I thought it was a GREAT facility.....and the fact that it is over 30 years oild is more impressive.

Run&Blade
10-21-2008, 04:04 PM
UNI always had trouble getting people in the seats. Iowa and Iowa State both had home games on the same day. That means about 115,000 other people in the state were watching Big Ten or Big XII football. It will always be a challenge for UNI to fill the building.

UNI is about good family entertainment at a decent price. After the games they let the fans onto the field and about 500 nerf footballs are flying all over the place. Kids get autographs and it is just a nice day all around.

The UNI coaches do a great job, the offense seems to change all the time depending on who the players are. As a fan you can't ask for much more from a staff then to play/create a system that fits the players you have. Last year the QB rarely ran, this year he runs all the time.

The Dome is old but considering the size of school and the other schools in the state it is outstanding. UNI wouldn't draw flies without that roof, if you are going to freeze you might as well freeze watching Big 10 or Big XII football. I think the building still looks great after 30 years and with the addition of the McLeod building for basketball UNI has created some outstanding facilities for a school their size.

I think it is great you guys are in the conference, UNI can't get anybody to play them at home so more conference games means more home games for them.

Farley at UNI has really cranked up the athleticism the last few years, I think UNI needs that to win on the road. FWIW I think NDSU is where UNI was 10-15 years ago, very good team at home but lacks the athleticism to win on the road in conference games.

GPSIT
10-21-2008, 04:18 PM
1. UNI Dome is dated. We should be very proud of the Fargo Dome.
2. They must only have been able to get porta potties 3 at a time. If you found them, they had 3 at each site and were only a quarter mile between each other. I don't think they expected bison fans to show up in the numbers they did.
3. What's up with the sign on the north end of the field. Two banners with the same years? Conference Champs and Playoff Appearances...... Duh.
4. I didn't feel the UNI-Dome Magic that has been broadcast by their fans. If bison fans want to rile up the place we should all get in the UNI-Dome early in 2-years and stand on the concourse on the south end. That would liven up the place.
5. Lakes, the "Bison Home Game" cheer was great.
6. UNI Fans were good and tailgating was super due to law enforcement non-existence.
7. No fee for parking.
8. Dissappointing turn out for Panther home team.

GPSIT
10-21-2008, 04:22 PM
and I forgot one last thing.

In Fargo we replay each and every play. It does not matter if it is in favor of the bison or the bison's opponent. The Panthers only replayed the plays in their favor. They made the mistake the one time and the Bison fans were livid about the refs call.

Comeon UNI, replay ALL plays of the game, not just those to your advantage. Don't be back in second grade

Run&Blade
10-21-2008, 04:27 PM
You can get a playoff bid without winning the conference.

UNI will always have trouble filling seats because of Iowa and ISU.

GPSIT
10-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Has UNI ever won an NCAA National Championship at any level in Football?

Run&Blade
10-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Has UNI ever won an NCAA National Championship at any level in Football?

No, but they are trying very hard.

roadwarrior
10-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Keep in mind that the UNIDOME ws built 9 years before UNI moved to Div. I. Can you imangine the problem of trying to fund raise over $7,000,000 to build a 16,000 seat stadium for a D-II school? It took a lot of salemanship and the leaders of the project had to sell the community on a vision for the FUTURE and what could be. UNI fans owe a great big thank you to Stan Sheriff and Darrell Mudra. (AD and FB coach in the 70's)

Keep in mind that the Fargodome was built over 10 years before NDSU moved to Div. I. Can you imagine the problem of trying to get the support for a $48,000,000 stadium that seats 19,000 for a D-II school?

steelbison
10-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Had a great time. UNI has a nice dome. Very good for 30 years old. They can make some noise if they have to.

Uni's coaching staff and playcalling was impressive.

We have some work to do!!!

Run&Blade
10-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Keep in mind that the Fargodome was built over 10 years before NDSU moved to Div. I. Can you imagine the problem of trying to get the support for a $48,000,000 stadium that seats 19,000 for a D-II school?

UNI is the 3rd school in the state in terms of football and basketball. Nobody in Iowa cares about UNI for the most part which is why what UNI has done is very impressive IMO. The Bison are the only show in town, that helps in a big way. The biggest spenders are not UNI fans they are Iowa/ISU fans.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-21-2008, 05:57 PM

exactly Road....++++++++++

SDbison
10-21-2008, 06:19 PM
UNI is the 3rd school in the state in terms of football and basketball. Nobody in Iowa cares about UNI for the most part which is why what UNI has done is very impressive IMO. The Bison are the only show in town, that helps in a big way. The biggest spenders are not UNI fans they are Iowa/ISU fans.
What, don't your Alumni support their team.......not feeling sorry for you!
BTW, NDSU competes for funding and fans with another school, UND, about 75 miles to the north. Maybe there are no DI-A programs, but Iowa is at least 6 times larger in population.
Disagree with you big time on NDSU being 10-15 years behind UNI. Wait until next year in Fargo when the Bison kick your butts by more than 10 points. Then what will you say?
Are most UNI fans just a$$es or pompous a$$es like you?

JayJ79
10-21-2008, 07:04 PM
BTW, NDSU competes for funding and fans with another school, UND, about 75 miles to the north. Maybe there are no DI-A programs, but Iowa is at least 6 times larger in population.
Disagree with you big time on NDSU being 10-15 years behind UNI. Wait until next year in Fargo when the Bison kick your butts by more than 10 points. Then what will you say?

Um, R&B isn't the one resorting to namecalling.

As far as alumni, the vast majority of UNI alumni are teachers/educators. And unfortunately, despite education being an absolutely crucial vocation, it generally doesn't generate too many millionaire philanthropists.

IMO, I think UNI has done quite well with the resources they have to work with. And I'm also guessing that NDSU (and the city of Fargo) have done quite well with the resources THEY have to work with.

Getting into a pissing match over it doesn't really have much of a point, other than creating a bunch of smelly mudpuddles.

Ferd
10-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Getting into a pissing match over it doesn't really have much of a point, other than creating a bunch of smelly mudpuddles.

Great point, even greater image!

Run&Blade
10-21-2008, 07:29 PM

It wouldn't suprise me if you beat UNI at home, I said you need the athleticism to win on the road. Emotion will get you over the top at home but it doesn't work as well on the road.

UNI's all time record at home is very good, Southern Illinois has never won at UNI. Hell UNI was losing to Southern Illinois by 28 at the start of the 4th quarter several years ago and UNI came back and won.

It hurts to say this but many UNI alumni cheer harder for Iowa and ISU then their own school. The draw of the BCS conferences is very difficult to overcome. Companies support Iowa/ISU because business clients are not going to get as excited to see UNI play some school never heard vs going to see Michigan/Penn St/Ohio St./Texas/Oklahoma/ect..............

You don't have that problem in your state, your competition for support is not playing at a level far higher then your own.

lakesbison
10-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Heres To The Fans That Went From Ndsu...

We Salute You!!!!

BigBison
10-21-2008, 08:36 PM
I didnt think the UNI dome was as bad as you guys are making it out to be. Sure it could use some up dates, such as real chairs, better bathrooms, another big screen, etc. But over all I thought it was OK, kinda thought of it as a little mini Metrodome. Fargodome isnt perfect either, blue seats, more lights.

99Bison
10-21-2008, 08:45 PM

We drove around the campus and walked for a while. Thought it was nice, clean and kept up. There appeared to be an effort in making buildings, etc look good. It was nice to see majority brick buildings, which always maintain the classic look. There was a tad bit cement, around almost industrial style a little bit, but is was clean so looked fine. McCload Center was nice, not fabulous, but very good and looks like it is a great arena to watch, play and experience in. The seats on top of the court looks fun. UNIDome was ok, but in all reality really good for something from 1974. All and all we were impressed with the overall clean, solid, "nice" feeling the whole campus had.

How's that for some rambling.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Heres To The Fans That Went From Ndsu...

We Salute You!!!!

Great Pic Lakes....would of loved to been there!

JayJ79
10-21-2008, 09:09 PM
I didnt think the UNI dome was as bad as you guys are making it out to be. Sure it could use some up dates, such as real chairs, better bathrooms, another big screen, etc. But over all I thought it was OK, kinda thought of it as a little mini Metrodome. Fargodome isnt perfect either, blue seats, more lights.

Our original "big screen" was above the north scoreboard.
It was quite.... "old school", essentially the equivalent of a big Lite Brite. hahaha. (don't know the technical term for that style display).

As far as the seats, I think that project is on the backburner. There is more priority given towards figuring out a new turf system. Hopefully upgrading from the old school astroturf to some type of Fieldturf. The main problem with that is finding a system that facilitates removal for concerts, trade shows, and our indoor track season.

What kind of surface do y'all have at the Fargodome?

NDSUFan_Sav
10-21-2008, 09:13 PM

Bison Turf :D

BigBison
10-21-2008, 10:53 PM
As far as the seats, I think that project is on the backburner. There is more priority given towards figuring out a new turf system. Hopefully upgrading from the old school astroturf to some type of Fieldturf. The main problem with that is finding a system that facilitates removal for concerts, trade shows, and our indoor track season.

We have astro turf, same as you guys, I think. Hey when you guys find a turf system let us know we need to upgrade here also.

Big Cat
10-21-2008, 11:01 PM

You're missing the point here. I'm sure the Fargodome is a very nice facility. I've never seen it except in pictures. Point is the cost of building and maintaining the UNIDOME is borne entirely by UNI. UNI OWNS the UNIDOME. The city of Fargo owns and maintains the Fargodome and NDSU leases it from the city. When Northern Iowa officials went to the State Board of Regents in 1974 to get permission to build an indoor sports facility, the Regents responded with "Fine, you have our blessing now find a way to pay for it." We get the same comments from Creighton fans concerning the McCleod Center which seats 7,000. They brag about "their" Quest Center which seats 15,000. Except it's not their facility. It's owned by the city of Omaha. Since it costs Northern Iowa far more to maintain the UNIdome than it does for NDSU to lease the Fargodome we can't throw millions into improvements. These things take time and DONOR money.

roadwarrior
10-21-2008, 11:46 PM
We are finding the same problems currently as far as fundraising goes. We are planning a $23 million addition/renovation of the BSA and another $15 million for a basketball addition to the Fargodome.