PDA

View Full Version : Freshman D-ends

X-Factor
10-20-2008, 12:46 AM
After watching the game, I didn't see a whole lot of productivity out of our starting DE's. However, in the 2nd half Boyer seemed to be getting some decent pressure from outside. Anyone else notice this? I think boyer and Johnson need to get more playing time. They both have caught my eye a number of times. I like what I'm seeing for our defensive line next year that will feature these two guys and then all of the tackles and noseguards returning. IMO should be a solid front line for once. Dare I say dominant?

Boyer
Fairbairn
Gratzek
Johnson

Hagen
Phillips
Yuen
Milwaukee-King recruit

BisoninNWMN
10-20-2008, 12:50 AM
After watching the game, I didn't see a whole lot of productivity out of our starting DE's. However, in the 2nd half Boyer seemed to be getting some decent pressure from outside. Anyone else notice this? I think boyer and Johnson need to get more playing time. They both have caught my eye a number of times. I like what I'm seeing for our defensive line next year that will feature these two guys and then all of the tackles and noseguards returning. IMO should be a solid front line for once. Dare I say dominant?

Boyer
Fairbairn
Gratzek
Johnson

Hagen
Phillips
Yuen
Milwaukee-King recruit

They are getting more production than Lardinois and Compton with a lot less playing time.

Mr. Burgundy
10-20-2008, 01:09 AM
I have wanted Compton benched all year, and Joe Lard should be benched from now on. He is a spot rusher. The other guys are outproducing them on a regular basis...and we are now building for the future.

msvjcpa
10-20-2008, 02:14 AM
The cumulative stats sure bear this out. Bohl said a week or so ago that Johnson and Boyer are playing about 25% of the plays. That makes sense since I counted the plays and the rotation is 5 for the starters and 2 for the backups. Through 7 games Johnson has 19 total tackles. Lardinois has 28 and Compton 20 (6 games). Boyer has 11. Johnson and Boyer each have 4 tackles for loss which leads the team. Johnson has 1.5 sacks, and Boyer 1. These guys are just flat out playing better and are more productive than our senior starters. The numbers Johnson especially is throwing up playing only 25% of the plays is impressive.

Consider how hard it must be to get into any kind of rhythm playing only 2 plays and then out. For them to be this productive with that kind of rotation says alot about their skill.

They are obviously still learning, but are proving how skilled they are inspite of that. Take last night for example... Lardinois and Compton each had only 1 tackle playing 75% of the plays. Johnson had 3 tackles (2 solo) and a forced fumble. Boyer had 2 tackles. These R-Freshman are plain and simple outplaying the starters. I'm am very excited about he future with these guys. They are going to dominate for the next three years.

Time to start playing them more or do we still have a responsibility to honor the accomplishments of the senior starters? Tough call...

56BISON73
10-20-2008, 02:22 AM
The cumulative stats sure bear this out. Bohl said a week or so ago that Johnson and Boyer are playing about 25% of the plays. That makes sense since I counted the plays and the rotation is 5 for the starters and 2 for the backups. Through 7 games Johnson has 19 total tackles. Lardinois has 28 and Compton 20 (6 games). Boyer has 11. Johnson and Boyer each have 4 tackles for loss which leads the team. Johnson has 1.5 sacks, and Boyer 1. These guys are just flat out playing better and are more productive than our senior starters. The numbers Johnson especially is throwing up playing only 25% of the plays is impressive.

Consider how hard it must be to get into any kind of rhythm playing only 2 plays and then out. For them to be this productive with that kind of rotation says alot about their skill.

They are obviously still learning, but are proving how skilled they are inspite of that. Take last night for example... Lardinois and Compton each had only 1 tackle playing 75% of the plays. Johnson had 3 tackles (2 solo) and a forced fumble. Boyer had 2 tackles. These R-Freshman are plain and simple outplaying the starters. I'm am very excited about he future with these guys. They are going to dominate for the next three years.

Time to start playing them more or do we still have a responsibility to honor the accomplishments of the senior starters? Tough call...

The only responsibility the coaches have is to put the best performing players on the field. Doesnt make any difference if they are a senior or not. PL

ps What accomplishments????

X-Factor
10-20-2008, 04:00 AM
What I don't understand is the drop off in productivity from last year. Are the seniors just getting complacent? Lardinois seemed like an absolute beast last year. This year you would swear he was the freshman by his playing productivity and hot head with PF's and what not. We returned our entire starting D-line and I am thinking last year's may have been better. Odd to say the least.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-20-2008, 04:56 AM
What I don't understand is the drop off in productivity from last year. Are the seniors just getting complacent? Lardinois seemed like an absolute beast last year. This year you would swear he was the freshman by his playing productivity and hot head with PF's and what not. We returned our entire starting D-line and I am thinking last year's may have been better. Odd to say the least.

ummm Dallas Clark....he was a stud!!!!

90BISON
10-20-2008, 02:47 PM
ummm Dallas Clark....he was a stud!!!!

Dallas Clark ????

Civil06
10-20-2008, 03:03 PM
Christon Dallas - the transfer from NDSCS that played well until getting hurt before the SDSU game. Not the Indianapolis Colts TE.

rutlandbison
10-20-2008, 03:34 PM
or senior DE's dont look very athletic especially compton. I think we should get these freshman more playing time. Both are big and athletic and when they are they make things happen.