PDA

View Full Version : The Coaches Recruited Him For A Reason...........

GodBlessDaBison
10-19-2008, 07:45 AM
Transfer from Los Angeles Valley Community College ... 2006-07 (LOS ANGELES VALLEY CC): Passed for 2,100 yards and 20 TDs in two seasons for the Monarchs and head coach Jimmy Sims ... HIGH SCHOOL: 2005 graduate of Fairfax High School ... Finished career with 6,444 yards, passing for 44 TDs and rushing for eight others ... Three-year starter and two-time captain for head coach Shane Cox ... Named the Los Angeles city high school 3A Offensive Player of the Year in 2004 after guiding Fairfax to city 3A championship ... Two-time all-Western League first team selection ...

LOL FOR A GUY WHO HAS BEEN PLAYING IN A TOUGH LEAGUE IN HIGH SCHOOL TO WIN THE CITY CHAMPION AND MVP... AND ALSO TO PRODUCE STATS AT THE JUNIOR COLLEGE LEVEL, IT SEEMS LIKE TO ME, JACKSON HAS AS MUCH EXPERIENCE AS MOHLER AND MERTENS, NOW GRANTED HE HAD TO LEARN A OFFENCE IN 3 MONTHS, BUT ON THE CONTRARY, MERTENS BEEN HERE FOR 4 YEARS AND HE CANT EVEN DOING THE FUNDAMENTAL QB THINGS LIKE THROW THE BALL AWAY OR THROW TO HIS CHECK DOWNS..... ITS FUNNY TO ME THAT SOME PEOPLE ARE NOT WILLING TO GIVE JACKSON A SHOT, HEY THIS IS WHAT FOOTBALL IS ALL ABOUT, IF THE DALLAS COWBOYS WOULD OF LISTEN TO FANS LIKE YOU, IM SURE YOU WOULD OF NEVER SEEN THE CAPABILITY TONY ROMO HAS, OR SAME THING WITH THE ARIZONA CARDNALS THIS YEAR, JUST BECUASE JACKSON IS A JUCO GUY THAT IS NOT FROM THE MN OR ND AREA, DOESNT MEAN THAT WE SHOULD NOT GIVE HIM THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT THAT HE COULD TURN THIS SEASON AROUND.....

tjbison
10-19-2008, 07:51 AM
Transfer from Los Angeles Valley Community College ... 2006-07 (LOS ANGELES VALLEY CC): Passed for 2,100 yards and 20 TDs in two seasons for the Monarchs and head coach Jimmy Sims ... HIGH SCHOOL: 2005 graduate of Fairfax High School ... Finished career with 6,444 yards, passing for 44 TDs and rushing for eight others ... Three-year starter and two-time captain for head coach Shane Cox ... Named the Los Angeles city high school 3A Offensive Player of the Year in 2004 after guiding Fairfax to city 3A championship ... Two-time all-Western League first team selection ...

LOL FOR A GUY WHO HAS BEEN PLAYING IN A TOUGH LEAGUE IN HIGH SCHOOL TO WIN THE CITY CHAMPION AND MVP... AND ALSO TO PRODUCE STATS AT THE JUNIOR COLLEGE LEVEL, IT SEEMS LIKE TO ME, JACKSON HAS AS MUCH EXPERIENCE AS MOHLER AND MERTENS, NOW GRANTED HE HAD TO LEARN A OFFENCE IN 3 MONTHS, BUT ON THE CONTRARY, MERTENS BEEN HERE FOR 4 YEARS AND HE CANT EVEN DOING THE FUNDAMENTAL QB THINGS LIKE THROW THE BALL AWAY OR THROW TO HIS CHECK DOWNS..... ITS FUNNY TO ME THAT SOME PEOPLE ARE NOT WILLING TO GIVE JACKSON A SHOT, HEY THIS IS WHAT FOOTBALL IS ALL ABOUT, IF THE DALLAS COWBOYS WOULD OF LISTEN TO FANS LIKE YOU, IM SURE YOU WOULD OF NEVER SEEN THE CAPABILITY TONY ROMO HAS, OR SAME THING WITH THE ARIZONA CARDNALS THIS YEAR, JUST BECUASE JACKSON IS A JUCO GUY THAT IS NOT FROM THE MN OR ND AREA, DOESNT MEAN THAT WE SHOULD NOT GIVE HIM THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT THAT HE COULD TURN THIS SEASON AROUND.....

Who doesn't want to give Jackson a chance????????? PUT HIM IN!!!!!!! what the hell nothing to lose now!!! I just don't think its a good idea to pull the redshirt on Jose. but Jackson yep he should be getting the rest of the snaps IMO!!!!!

Rockbear99
10-19-2008, 02:45 PM
I think this is a 'rebuilding' season at this point. Put Jackson in and see. Since the season is over pulling the redshirt is a little silly. I also think we have found a good MLB for the next few years. Kid played a good game for a Freshmen.

A1pigskin
10-19-2008, 02:55 PM
It is odd that we don't play Jackson. He must be practicing like sh&#. Although our starter is playing like sh&#. When you mix sh%#, you still have sh&#. Eat more corn....:D

westnodak93bison
10-19-2008, 03:00 PM
yep, I'd pull the trigger.

TransAmBison
10-19-2008, 03:30 PM
At the very least, Mertens should sit out the first quarter this next game and give Jackson the start. Bohl has to do something to get out of this funk. That, and give Jackson an opportunity.

bisonmike2
10-19-2008, 05:15 PM
At the very least, Mertens should sit out the first quarter this next game and give Jackson the start. Bohl has to do something to get out of this funk. That, and give Jackson an opportunity.

I thought about this too but I say leave Mertens in. He's got a couple of games against weaker opponents coming up and we need him to gain some confidence going into SDSU.

99Bison
10-19-2008, 05:24 PM
I am sure they'll leave Mertens in unless he starts a game horribly or has a horrible stretch. Then they'd probably pull him for a series or end of the game to try and motivate/change of pace.

tjbison
10-19-2008, 05:31 PM
I am sure they'll leave Mertens in unless he starts a game horribly or has a horrible stretch. Then they'd probably pull him for a series or end of the game to try and motivate/change of pace.

Hasn't this happened:hide: :hide:

99Bison
10-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Hasn't this happened:hide: :hide:

Not really... Hasn't started any games poorly, and up until yesterday didn't have a poor stretchs, more like untimely turnovers at end of games.

Oh, and to the original question on this thread "recruited him for a reason...", the reason is because all other qb's left the team in the spring and by the spring most everyone even eligible has been picked up by someone. That said, hope he's ready to go, and is good.

A1pigskin
10-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Mertens is not the entire problem. A 3 man rush can get through our offense.

BisonFan33
10-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Just curious on how many have you seen Jackson acutally play? Like at the scrimmage? If you did watch that you would see why he isn't being put in...he is simply not ready.

GodBlessDaBison
10-19-2008, 09:02 PM
yeah I seen both of them during the summer, he didnt throw any interceptions and when the #1 wr group were in, he threw a touchdown to one of them, you also have to grant those practices were within the 1st couple of weeks konwing the offense, what makes you believe that he is not ready to take the field with a "chip on his shoulder" I am sure he has enough to pass around the whole city of Fargo

GodBlessDaBison
10-19-2008, 09:06 PM
A three man rush + 8 men in coverage= time to get out the pocket and not throw the ball up!

think about it, if there is a 3 man rush and 4 man rush, whats good about the west coast offense is that the rb (4 good rbs we have) can get out in open spaces and able to be there for check downs, Im not saying jackson will be the answer, but ANY quarterback should know when its time to step out the pocket and look for his check downs, com'on im sure that is quarterback fundamentals that any QB should know....

am I wrong?

BisonFan33
10-19-2008, 09:08 PM
I have seen him practice and you can have your opinions but I still say Nick is our BEST option right now. I say put him in and see him fail because it isn't as easy as everyone thinks and then people can quiet about Mertens. Bohl should put him in to show ppl why we have Nick in

A1pigskin
10-19-2008, 11:21 PM
Nick is our guy through and through.

BisonNeil
10-19-2008, 11:27 PM
I think Jackson should play if for no other reason send a message to all the QBs that this is an open competition. If you don't have to compete for your position, then you don't get any better. I think that is why Brecke left. He felt he played well enough to get the job and didn't get it, it was more or less handed to Nick when he was a Soph when he leaf frogged over Brecke and Parsons.

VegasBison
10-20-2008, 12:38 AM
The coaching staff just needs to teach Mertens how to lead his receivers. Every pass yesterday was behind the receiver. I'm in favor of getting other QBs some experience. If Mertens isn't getting it done, switch it up.

56BISON73
10-20-2008, 12:59 AM
The coaching staff just needs to teach Mertens how to lead his receivers. Every pass yesterday was behind the receiver. I'm in favor of getting other QBs some experience. If Mertens isn't getting it done, switch it up.

He should already know how to do that with all his years in the game. Its checking off his receivers, not throwing in to double and triple coverage, throwing it away instead, being able to call off a play when coming up to the LOS and not liking what you see. It doesnt seem he has any instincts. I just dont understand how a player can come this far in his career and perform the way he is. Its baffling. PL

BraxtonT
10-20-2008, 04:36 AM
I think Jackson should play if for no other reason send a message to all the QBs that this is an open competition. If you don't have to compete for your position, then you don't get any better. I think that is why Brecke left. He felt he played well enough to get the job and didn't get it, it was more or less handed to Nick when he was a Soph when he leaf frogged over Brecke and Parsons.

Totally agree!

I understand why Brecke left the team. Coach Bohl has a track record of not giving the backup quarterback any meaningful game reps. It took quite a few rotten performances by Tony Stauss before Steve Walker got to take the reigns. The way Brecke looked in the spring game, I thought he was just as good as Mertens.

Naming Mertens #1 out of spring ball turns out to be a very questionable decision. Not that he didn't deserve the designation, but what would it have hurt to just say the #1 job has yet to be determined? Brecke would be looking like a nice insurance policy right now. However, there would be no guarantee that he'd have been given a chance to perform in any of these games!!!!

One more thing pertaining to the thread title: If Jackson isn't good enough right now to go out on the field, is there any reason to retain him as a scholarship player for next year? If he is not good enough, who is accountable for evaluating his talent? Even if he isn't 'good enough' in some people's eyes, what could we possibly have lost in trying to play him? There is no way the quality could have been worse than what we saw yesterday. Just as bad, maybe, but not worse!!

SirHinn
10-20-2008, 05:00 AM

So you think the coaches should put in a player that they obviously don't have any confidence or faith in? Call me crazy, but shouldn't the coaches play the guy that they think gives the team the best chance to win regardless. If anyone is going to know how each player is practicing, it's clearly the coaches. But your trying to tell us that they need to put in a guy who's obviously doesn't give the team the best chance to win is going to motivate Mertens? Again call me crazy, but that's absurd. There's a reason why Nick Mertens is on the field playing and that Troy Jackson is on the bench along with Brekke playing in the MIAC.

BraxtonT
10-20-2008, 05:51 AM
So you think the coaches should put in a player that they obviously don't have any confidence or faith in? Call me crazy, but shouldn't the coaches play the guy that they think gives the team the best chance to win regardless. If anyone is going to know how each player is practicing, it's clearly the coaches. But your trying to tell us that they need to put in a guy who's obviously doesn't give the team the best chance to win is going to motivate Mertens? Again call me crazy, but that's absurd. There's a reason why Nick Mertens is on the field playing and that Troy Jackson is on the bench along with Brekke playing in the MIAC.

So, are you willing to say the coaches should be accountable for their recruiting and talent evaluation?

It's now Monday morning, so I'm ready to 'quarterback'. Steve Walker was legendary for not being a good 'practice' player, but what he did on Saturdays was amazing. I don't think any of us in the 'let Jackson play' camp believe he will miraculously turn things around, but unless he gets a chance, we'll never know. Seriously, do you think his play could be any worse?

Again, if they have no confidence in T-Jack, there is absolutely no reason that he should be receiving a scholarship to be on the Bison football team.

One other thing. What is happening to Mertens is not fair to him. The coaches have set him up to be a failure this year. Having him rust away for three years with no significant playing time is no way to get ready for a run at a national championship. The quarterback position is way too important to have neglected it the way they have the last three years.

CaBisonFan
10-20-2008, 05:56 AM

You've made a good case for Jackson. Right now, what is there to lose by giving someone else a chance?

HerdBot
10-20-2008, 06:36 AM

I would have benched Mertens in favor of Jackson. Even Anne F-ing Frank could see that he could not handle the pressure. (anyone catch the movie reference?)

BisonNolesFan77
10-20-2008, 08:16 AM

We already have a player out there who the coaches obviously dont have much faith and confidence in, have you seen our play calling? The fact is right now, Jackson may give this team the best chance to win or he may not, but no one will know until he gets some time on the field to show people (Coaches included) what he can or cannot do. Practice is a whole different field than on a Saturday afternoon or night, practice doesnt tell you how a player is going to respond when there are 10,000 plus fans in the stands, the D is switching their looks at the line and he has to audible to something else, you cant simulate that in a practice no matter how hard you try, that fact is no one is going to know what Jackson is possible of unless he gets in some meaningful game time. I dont like how things have been handled with Mertens, I was in the stands when he picked my cousin and Becker apart in the MN State Championship game his senior year, I was as excited as anyone to see him out there this year, you hate to this happen to anyone, but the fact is that something needs to be done, I dont see how things could get any worse in our QB situation right now. Give Jackson a start, see how things go, it could end up great or it might not change much, but we have to find out.

Oh, and Brecke is not playing in the MIAC, he's at Concordia St. Paul...not Concordia Moorhead. He started the first 5 games for them, looked like he was doing alright, but now they have a RFR starting...

SirHinn
10-20-2008, 01:26 PM
We already have a player out there who the coaches obviously dont have much faith and confidence in, have you seen our play calling? The fact is right now, Jackson may give this team the best chance to win or he may not, but no one will know until he gets some time on the field to show people (Coaches included) what he can or cannot do. Practice is a whole different field than on a Saturday afternoon or night, practice doesnt tell you how a player is going to respond when there are 10,000 plus fans in the stands, the D is switching their looks at the line and he has to audible to something else, you cant simulate that in a practice no matter how hard you try, that fact is no one is going to know what Jackson is possible of unless he gets in some meaningful game time. I dont like how things have been handled with Mertens, I was in the stands when he picked my cousin and Becker apart in the MN State Championship game his senior year, I was as excited as anyone to see him out there this year, you hate to this happen to anyone, but the fact is that something needs to be done, I dont see how things could get any worse in our QB situation right now. Give Jackson a start, see how things go, it could end up great or it might not change much, but we have to find out.

Oh, and Brecke is not playing in the MIAC, he's at Concordia St. Paul...not Concordia Moorhead. He started the first 5 games for them, looked like he was doing alright, but now they have a RFR starting...

So your telling me you know more then the coaching staff does? Somehow I have good feeling that the coaching staff evaluates talent on a weekly basis thus there is an obvious reason why TJACK isn't playing. Plus to say they have nothing to lose is quite silly considering they could start Jackson lose the next gimme game and then your really in trouble.

BisonNolesFan77
10-20-2008, 07:10 PM
So your telling me you know more then the coaching staff does? Somehow I have good feeling that the coaching staff evaluates talent on a weekly basis thus there is an obvious reason why TJACK isn't playing. Plus to say they have nothing to lose is quite silly considering they could start Jackson lose the next gimme game and then your really in trouble.

I never once said that I knew more than the coaching staff, just stated the fact that their is no way that even the coaches know what Jackson can do on the field on a Saturday afternoon or night, you cant replicate the speed and intensity of a game in practice, they do not know what Jackson can do in a NDSU uniform in a MVFC game. He could could come out and turn things around, or it could be the same ole, but my point was that something needs to change. We are already really in trouble here, this team hasent played good football since the 1st half at Wyo., so honestly, what do you have to lose?