PDA

View Full Version : My Expectations of a Journalist

CaBisonFan
10-15-2008, 04:23 AM
When I look for things to read in the papers, online, or elsewhere...I try to find articles or editorials that will educate me. I look for people who write extremely well, and people who are intellectually curious. I also look for people who write with a historical perspective.

If I'm looking for pure entertainment, I go to magazines that specialize in it...or to TV shows, movies, music, or a tall one.

When I pick up a local newspaper, I want to read about upcoming events, interest stories that are mainly informational, and some of the mundane information about my community...you know, like movie times, church service times, the obits, etc, etc.

What I 'do not' expect in a hometown newspaper is to read editorials by people that are not intellectually curious...or by people that are not interested in history...or by people that are simply in it to sell papers. I don't apologize for having this standard, or expectation.

I 'expect' a place like New York City to have thousands of 'hack' editorials at the corner news stands.

In a hometown paper I expect the writers to cheer with me and to support the community.

And if...if...those people show that their heart is truly with my community, then I am likely to be more open to a critique. But for me, they have to earn the right.

When a journalist shows the intent to ride the fence and not commit to my community...then I am suspicious of criticism.

If I want to read garbage...I pick something out in the grocery line. I don't expect biohazard material to infiltrate my hometown newspaper.

Translation: "It's like, you know, don't insult me with drivel that everyone already knows."

Jay
10-15-2008, 05:06 AM
Jesus.... do we have to continue to debate about this?

CaBisonFan
10-15-2008, 05:07 AM
Jesus.... do we have to continue to debate about this?

I'm not Jesus.

duluthbison
10-15-2008, 05:16 AM
Jesus....

Yes........??

:bowdown: :bowdown:

aces1180
10-15-2008, 01:21 PM
When I look for things to read in the papers, online, or elsewhere...I try to find articles or editorials that will educate me. I look for people who write extremely well, and people who are intellectually curious. I also look for people who write with a historical perspective.

If I'm looking for pure entertainment, I go to magazines that specialize in it...or to TV shows, movies, music, or a tall one.

When I pick up a local newspaper, I want to read about upcoming events, interest stories that are mainly informational, and some of the mundane information about my community...you know, like movie times, church service times, the obits, etc, etc.

What I 'do not' expect in a hometown newspaper is to read editorials by people that are not intellectually curious...or by people that are not interested in history...or by people that are simply in it to sell papers. I don't apologize for having this standard, or expectation.

I 'expect' a place like New York City to have thousands of 'hack' editorials at the corner news stands.

In a hometown paper I expect the writers to cheer with me and to support the community.

And if...if...those people show that their heart is truly with my community, then I am likely to be more open to a critique. But for me, they have to earn the right.

When a journalist shows the intent to ride the fence and not commit to my community...then I am suspicious of criticism.

If I want to read garbage...I pick something out in the grocery line. I don't expect biohazard material to infiltrate my hometown newspaper.

Translation: "It's like, you know, don't insult me with drivel that everyone already knows."

You just don't get it...

There is a place for this style of journalism in newspapers, TV, radio, magazines, the electronic media. Why? Because people buy into it! Journalism is a business and if you feel the opposite, you are dead wrong. Some choose to have positive spins, while others go negative. That's just the way it is! If you want some real answers, take Mass Communication Theory at NDSU with Dr. Charles Okigbo. You will see the light!

CaBisonFan
10-15-2008, 02:35 PM
You just don't get it...

There is a place for this style of journalism in newspapers, TV, radio, magazines, the electronic media. Why? Because people buy into it! Journalism is a business and if you feel the opposite, you are dead wrong. Some choose to have positive spins, while others go negative. That's just the way it is! If you want some real answers, take Mass Communication Theory at NDSU with Dr. Charles Okigbo. You will see the light!

What' to get about it? I don't need a college class to understand it. It's about selling newspapers, and the tabloidian society that we live in. Doesn't make it right.

People buy meth.

chuckles
10-15-2008, 02:42 PM
do we really need to keep dragging this out, the writers love this turmoil they create.

http://blogs.amnestyusa.org/pub/amnestyusa/death-penalty/beating-a-dead-horse.gif

aces1180
10-15-2008, 02:43 PM
What' to get about it? I don't need a college class to understand it. It's about selling newspapers, and the tabloidian society that we live in. Doesn't make it right.

People buy meth.

Wow...That's a great comparison!

I guess what you want and what the media does will never match. Time to accept it as the way it is.

siouxdgj
10-15-2008, 05:09 PM
Aces 1180 is right on and understands journalism and the media. Kudos to McFeely for sparking a level of interest that draws comment and criticism. He is doing his job. One of the reasons The Forum is a great newspaper is that it invites contrary opinions and opposing points of view. I have a good deal of respect for the Bison athletic success over the years. Two consectutive 10-1 football seasons undioubtedly make for high expectations. Coach Bohl is a great coach. Frustation at this point is understandable, but be thankful The Forum is willing to offering differing points of view. Journalistically, The Forum is among the best and I continue to applaud that fine organization.

56BISON73
10-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Mc Feeley is tame in comparison to some other rags Ive read in the past.
He gives kudos when they are due but questions when things are out of whack. Nothing the matter with that. People act like hes been ripping the team a new one every week. The season is half over and NOW they get upset over what he wrote and it was factual. LOL PL

WYOBISONMAN
10-15-2008, 05:23 PM
McFeely is doing his job, and he does it well. He is just not a Bison Bandwagoner, and as a reporter he should not be. I have more respect for someone that can cast a critical eye at things that someone like Sid Hartman. Do I like or agree with all McFeely says......Hell No!.......but he is interesting and he does get the reader to think.

CaBisonFan
10-15-2008, 11:31 PM
McFeely is doing his job, and he does it well. He is just not a Bison Bandwagoner, and as a reporter he should not be. I have more respect for someone that can cast a critical eye at things that someone like Sid Hartman. Do I like or agree with all McFeely says......Hell No!.......but he is interesting and he does get the reader to think.

I don't like what Sid does either. Blend the two, and you might have something. But Kolpack is better than Hartman.

Mike, who you refer to, delivers no information. His articles are not thought-provoking. I don't consider him to be a journalist.

Kolpack is the journalist at the Forum.

TheDoctor
10-16-2008, 12:18 AM
I have to disagree with you here today CA. Normally I am a McFooley hater who believes he often blows out of proportion facts that are not even that bad to sell a story. I remember an article a few years back in March where he whined that he is so sick of hearing about Duke every single March and how arrogant they are. Well, what Duke has done is create a modern version of what UCLA did back when the tourney was only 8 deep. Anyway, I digress. McFooley, softly mind you, stated some serious facts about our transition and stated a FACT as far as I am concerned. We win on Saturday and all is well in Bisonville, the season will turn around. We lose on Saturday, and you better get your season tickets for basketball quick. When your on top of the mountain, the party is a blast and you can only make it more fun, BUT there is also only one direction when things aren't well and the higher you are the faster you fall. ;)

d3boys
10-16-2008, 12:53 AM
mcfeeley has his moments
a couple of years ago he had a great article(well researched) about fargo south goalie sean deichert and his father who died during his junior year in high school and they won the state chapionship

very touching article
I was surprised

Mr. Burgundy
10-16-2008, 12:58 AM
That was a great article about the Fargo South goalie. I do get tired of the "Common Man" approach. He is so negative on everything. It is very predictable. If the Bison lose, and there has been alot of hype about it....you know it is coming. He is just too cynical for me.

CaBisonFan
10-16-2008, 01:58 AM
I have to disagree with you here today CA. Normally I am a McFooley hater who believes he often blows out of proportion facts that are not even that bad to sell a story. I remember an article a few years back in March where he whined that he is so sick of hearing about Duke every single March and how arrogant they are. Well, what Duke has done is create a modern version of what UCLA did back when the tourney was only 8 deep. Anyway, I digress. McFooley, softly mind you, stated some serious facts about our transition and stated a FACT as far as I am concerned. We win on Saturday and all is well in Bisonville, the season will turn around. We lose on Saturday, and you better get your season tickets for basketball quick. When your on top of the mountain, the party is a blast and you can only make it more fun, BUT there is also only one direction when things aren't well and the higher you are the faster you fall. ;)

Kolpack has the journalistic ability to do a better job in covering the Bison. He could do his homework better. He could be an advocate without being a homer. He could 'lead' the Forum in this regard. He has not.

As for the one that you're talking about...I don't consider him to be a journalist. I don't read his material, and I don't care what he thinks.

PS - When UCLA made their run, the tourney was 16 deep...but you couldn't get in without winning the conference. Now, if you play in a power conference, beat up on powder-puffs, and win half of your conference games...you're usually in. The old PAC-8 was a powerful conference. They used to reward teams for being the actual champion of their conference.

SirHinn
10-16-2008, 02:58 AM
Kolpack has the journalistic ability to do a better job in covering the Bison. He could do his homework better. He could be an advocate without being a homer. He could 'lead' the Forum in this regard. He has not.

As for the one that you're talking about...I don't consider him to be a journalist. I don't read his material, and I don't care what he thinks.

PS - When UCLA made their run, the tourney was 16 deep...but you couldn't get in without winning the conference. Now, if you play in a power conference, beat up on powder-puffs, and win half of your conference games...you're usually in. The old PAC-8 was a powerful conference. They used to reward teams for being the actual champion of their conference.

Kolpack is just so damn boring though. I take someone who isn't afraid to speak his voice. I never hear you guys praise Mcfeely when he has positive articles, but your first to point out anything negative he has to say.

SirHinn
10-16-2008, 03:00 AM
That was a great article about the Fargo South goalie. I do get tired of the "Common Man" approach. He is so negative on everything. It is very predictable. If the Bison lose, and there has been alot of hype about it....you know it is coming. He is just too cynical for me.

Oh c'mon, even Common has his positive moments. Nothing better then hearing Nothin's gonna stop us now!

CaBisonFan
10-16-2008, 03:02 AM
Kolpack is just so damn boring though. I take someone who isn't afraid to speak his voice. I never hear you guys praise Mcfeely when he has positive articles, but your first to point out anything negative he has to say.

I would agree that Kolpack is boring. If he worked hard at covering the Bison, he would have my respect.

Mr. Burgundy
10-16-2008, 12:09 PM
I like Common Man quite a bit too.....but he and McFeeley twist the things that are said. They save all comments....for a later date....and take them out of context. Then, when trouble hits....bingo. He loves it.