PDA

View Full Version : Can any of the starters lose their spot?

90BISON
10-13-2008, 05:26 AM
Or should some of them lose their starting spot. I'm not going to name any directly, mostly because it's a team effort, but if someone's effort in a particular game, or series of games is absolutely brutal, give one of the young guys a shot. Are current player's psyche so fragile, that if they are stinking the place up on a consistent basis you can't put someone else in, or the starter may give up competitive sports altogether? Give the guy a shot in a real game situation, you might be suprised by the outcome. I haven't seen much of that, if at all, for years?:(

BisonNolesFan77
10-13-2008, 05:42 AM
I would hope that by this point in their career's that if a starter were to get sat down for a game that their psyche's would be able to handle it. From personal experience, sometimes it does the job to pull a starter for a series or give them a good chewing, its a big motivator. Will it happen...dunno.
- Darin

CaBisonFan
10-13-2008, 05:53 AM
Or should some of them lose their starting spot. I'm not going to name any directly, mostly because it's a team effort, but if someone's effort in a particular game, or series of games is absolutely brutal, give one of the young guys a shot. Are current player's psyche so fragile, that if they are stinking the place up on a consistent basis you can't put someone else in, or the starter may give up competitive sports altogether? Give the guy a shot in a real game situation, you might be suprised by the outcome. I haven't seen much of that, if at all, for years?:(

From what I saw, some of the guys could use a jolt. It's human nature. The best players, with great attitudes, can lose their focus. Something is missing on that field. The team is absolutely loaded with talent and experience.

Don't get me wrong...I think these are a bunch of great guys...but the formula 'is not' working.

There's nothing wrong with shaking things up to send a message. It's done in high school. These guys can handle it.

X-Factor
10-13-2008, 06:15 AM
This needs to happen. We have already lost 3 games, and for this early in the season that is a failure IMO for what this team should have been capable of. It is time to make some minor adjustments to the lineup and see if that can do some improvement because the road we are going down now will have us sitting at home for thanksgiving.

TransAmBison
10-13-2008, 12:52 PM
I think everybody needs a jolt from Bohl on down. Don't get me wrong, I think Bohl is a great coach...but I don't think we've had focus as a team since Minnesota last year. That, and we lost our leaders Mays and Walker. We are really missing the senior leadership. Roehl has done his best, but it seems like he is on his own.

ndsubison1
10-13-2008, 04:45 PM
I would hope that by this point in their career's that if a starter were to get sat down for a game that their psyche's would be able to handle it. From personal experience, sometimes it does the job to pull a starter for a series or give them a good chewing, its a big motivator. Will it happen...dunno.
- Darin

agreed... sometimes it can send a big message

NDSUstudent
10-13-2008, 05:25 PM
I know this doesn't exactly fit here but....

Preston Evens will start at MLB against UNI, Tyler Henry is very doubtful with an ankle injury.

bisonmike2
10-13-2008, 05:30 PM

Preston Evens will start at MLB against UNI, Tyler Henry is very doubtful with ankle injury.

With the little time that he has been playing Preston has been impressive. Hopefully he will emerge into our next Joe Mays.

A1pigskin
10-13-2008, 05:41 PM
With the little time that he has been playing Preston has been impressive. Hopefully he will emerge into our next Joe Mays.

We could use another Joe Mays.

A1pigskin
10-13-2008, 05:43 PM
If a players focus is lost, it's a good idea for them to ride the pine for awhile. That doesn't mean the entire team rides the pine at once, but a few key people really do need to rethink their focus.

A1pigskin
10-13-2008, 05:47 PM
From what I saw, some of the guys could use a jolt. It's human nature. The best players, with great attitudes, can lose their focus. Something is missing on that field. The team is absolutely loaded with talent and experience.

Don't get me wrong...I think these are a bunch of great guys...but the formula 'is not' working.

There's nothing wrong with shaking things up to send a message. It's done in high school. These guys can handle it.

CaBisonFan - you are correct. Something is really missing out there; focus, leadership, motivation to really want it. The kicker can't even kick a extra point. WTF......... I really hope we come out this by this weekend and kick UNI's ass.

bisonhusker
10-13-2008, 08:18 PM
I would like to see some of the younger WR's get a shot.

NDSUstudent
10-13-2008, 08:20 PM
I would like to see some of the younger WR's get a shot.

Schultenover should start, all the guy does is catch touchdowns.

tjbison
10-13-2008, 09:51 PM
I think any of the younger players should get a shot but only if they WIN IT IN PRACTICE! I still have faith in our coaches (how could you not?) and I firmly believe if the younger players were better than any of the 22 starters they would have the spot or at least a chance! As for Preston Kick A## hopefully he is a natural leader, and Is the spark or change needed to get this D rockin! If the D plays well, Roehl and Jangs will get the O fired up!!!

NDSUFREAK
10-13-2008, 10:02 PM
if we lose to UNI, i say put T-Jack in for qb next game because our playoff hopes would be pretty much over after another loss

tjbison
10-13-2008, 10:10 PM
if we lose to UNI, i say put T-Jack in for qb next game because our playoff hopes would be pretty much over after another loss

I would agree with that, get him some reps! you never know, hell let Mohler play. I think part of Nicks problem is the lack of gametime experience, who knows next year he could be a totally different player after geting some PT!!

CarringtonBison
10-13-2008, 10:11 PM
I would agree with that, get him some reps! you never know, hell let Mohler play. I think part of Nicks problem is the lack of gametime experience, who knows next year he could be a totally different player after geting some PT!!

no way-keep the redshirt on.

NDSUFREAK
10-13-2008, 10:13 PM
mertens has had 6 games of playing time....which seems to be enough. next year he could be better, yes, not after some playing time but taking him a whole YEAR to get into it. time is what we don't have now

tjbison
10-13-2008, 10:23 PM
no way-keep the redshirt on.

agreed

mertens has had 6 games of playing time....which seems to be enough. next year he could be better, yes, not after some playing time but taking him a whole YEAR to get into it. time is what we don't have now

I do think it would be wrong to bench Mertens for the UNI game though! afterall he is our best chance at winning, Jackson hasn't had much time with the first O. IMO:hide:

NDSUstudent
10-13-2008, 10:31 PM
Mertens didn't lose us the WIU game, no way you bench him.

ndsubison1
10-13-2008, 10:51 PM
Mertens didn't lose us the WIU game, no way you bench him.

I think if we lose the UNI game and Mertens still struggles, we give T-Jack a shot... it could send a message

NDSUstudent
10-13-2008, 11:01 PM
I think if we lose the UNI game and Mertens still struggles, we give T-Jack a shot... it could send a message

If the coaches give him the right game plan then I would agree. I really just want to see the coaches give him a chance and see what he is capable of.

X-Factor
10-14-2008, 12:27 AM

absolutely. From what I see, Shultenover is our #2 WR by a large margin. Next year he will do great things.

VanClubPres
10-14-2008, 12:54 AM

Correction....All he does is catch touchdowns and first downs. That seems like a good combo.

VanClubPres
10-14-2008, 12:55 AM
I do think it would be wrong to bench Mertens for the UNI game though! afterall he is our best chance at winning, Jackson hasn't had much time with the first O. IMO:hide:[/QUOTE]

+++++++ Very agreed

NDSUFREAK
10-14-2008, 01:48 AM
agreed

I do think it would be wrong to bench Mertens for the UNI game though! afterall he is our best chance at winning, Jackson hasn't had much time with the first O. IMO:hide:
no no no. start him for UNI but if we lose bench him for our next game to see what the next guy can do

99Bison
10-14-2008, 01:51 AM
no no no. start him for UNI but if we lose bench him for our next game to see what the next guy can do

Have you seen tjack in any practices, much less all of them? Unless mertens throws 8 picks that are all completely his fault don't even think about it. Sorry tjack.

MinotBison
10-14-2008, 02:03 AM
Does Lakes have any eligiblity left?

OldBison
10-14-2008, 02:16 PM

Preston Evens will start at MLB against UNI, Tyler Henry is very doubtful with an ankle injury.

This is an interesting move. Bussey, the JUCO MLB, isn't starting. Is he a bust or is he still suffering a hammie? Anybody know?

BisoninNWMN
10-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Preston at MLB

Leave Boyer and Johnson at DE....better than Compton.

Please give Voigt the ball more. He doesn't pu**y-foot around by dancing behing the line....he hits the hole hard and fast.

Roehl #1
Voigt #2

Change of pace with PP or DJ is fine but in this league you need power backs!!

tjbison
10-14-2008, 09:31 PM
Preston at MLB

Leave Boyer and Johnson at DE....better than Compton.

Please give Voigt the ball more. He doesn't pu**y-foot around by dancing behing the line....he hits the hole hard and fast.

Roehl #1
Voigt #2

Change of pace with PP or DJ is fine but in this league you need power backs!!

I wouldn't consider YSU and SIU's backs Power Backs, they were shifty like Pachall, WIU and NDSU have the 2 POWER backs! I like the different styles hit'em up with TR and make them hang on to PP keep it the way it is right now, I do agree Voigt should be a stud! migh have the same scenario Voigt at Power DJ with the speed and shifty moves in a couple years:)