PDA

View Full Version : GSB = Dumb

aces1180
10-12-2008, 05:51 PM
Many of us have rehashed the problems with our football squad, but I feel it is necessary to discuss how dumb our band was yesterday. I have three instances:

1. The Bison are on offense going north from our own 20-yard line. The band decides it would be a good idea to start playing in the south concourse, which echos back to the field. Dumb.

2. Between the third and fourth quarter, the big screens are showing the "Be Herd" clip of the week. Of course, instead of allowing me to hear the music in the clip, the band plays on. Dumb.

3. The chanting towards the officials on a penalty or call that goes against the Bison. Not really dumb, but annoying.

I notice these things because I sit in section nine, so many of you will not notice or agree with me. However, they need to figure out that people are there to watch the game, not them. I sometimes wish that the halftime entertainment would be a dog and frisbee, as the song selection is still boring and repetitive.

Rant over - Flame away.

ndsubison1
10-12-2008, 06:20 PM
i hated it when the band played while the announcer was giving score updates... sorry, but i am an all-around college football fan... I want to know how Texas-Oklahoma game went and other MVFC teams are doing...

TbonZach
10-12-2008, 06:26 PM
I'm confused. Usually my BS meter works when it comes the GSMB, but it must be on the fritz right now.

1. The Bison are on offense going north from our own 20-yard line. The band decides it would be a good idea to start playing in the south concourse, which echos back to the field.

The band sits in the south endzone. Are we expected to switch sides every quarter? Members of certain sections of the band go out at various times to play. They're trying to have fun and entertain the crowd - be they in the stands or in the concourse. The band as a whole has no control over where/when these members play, short of banning this completely.

2. Between the third and fourth quarter, the big screens are showing the "Be Herd" clip of the week. Of course, instead of allowing me to hear the music in the clip, the band plays on.

Excuse us for doing what we've done for the past several, several years. We try to change things that we do for everything new that happens, but sometimes we miss.

3. The chanting towards the officials on a penalty or call that goes against the Bison.

You're right. Only the non-band students/fans should be allowed to do that.

TbonZach
10-12-2008, 06:28 PM
i hated it when the band played while the announcer was giving score updates... sorry, but i am an all-around college football fan... I want to know how Texas-Oklahoma game went and other MVFC teams are doing...

I apologize for the band not knowing when the announcer is going to talk or what he's going to talk about.

aces1180
10-12-2008, 06:30 PM
I'm confused. Usually my BS meter works when it comes the GSMB, but it must be on the fritz right now.

The band sits in the south endzone. Are we expected to switch sides every quarter? Members of certain sections of the band go out at various times to play. They're trying to have fun and entertain the crowd - be they in the stands or in the concourse. The band as a whole has no control over where/when these members play, short of banning this completely.

Excuse us for doing what we've done for the past several, several years. We try to change things that we do for everything new that happens, but sometimes we miss.

You're right. Only the non-band students/fans should be allowed to do that.

Ok...I can understand your point for #3...However, the crowd should be entertained by the team (when they play well) and the band should NEVER make noise when the Bison are stepping to the line of scrimmage! Be more aware of the surroundings and the game, not yourselves.

56BISON73
10-12-2008, 06:42 PM

The problem arises to the fact that they use the PA for that purpose instead of all the electronic boards that they have in the end zones. I emailed them on the problem of virtually no game scores being shown and they said they would do a better job. Well the last game I was at it wasnt any better and the scores they did post were a who cares.
My guess is the reason they dont use the electronics is it is being used for advertisements---think $$$$$$. Its pretty sad when you are at a D1 football game and you dont get many other scores. First place Ive ever been where this is a problem. PL

ndsubison1
10-12-2008, 06:55 PM
I apologize for the band not knowing when the announcer is going to talk or what he's going to talk about.

it was while he was talking.. how else would I know the announcer was giving score updates

BigDeal
10-12-2008, 07:56 PM
Boo hoo hoo. Bison play like crap and this board starts ripping on anything related or unrelated to the game that they didn't like. Typical. Why didn't you go move to one of the couple thousand blue seats that were open? It's quieter up there. You knew the band was going to be there. This wasn't some amazing surprise when you sat down.

BisonBish08
10-12-2008, 11:09 PM
I appreciate the entertainment that the band does bring to the scene-- I mean, I definitely notice that the trombone doesn't make the ascending arrpegio-like sound anymore after a kickoff! (Can you tell I am a musician?) However, I do think that when our team is on the offense, the band should not be playing.

Have you ever noticed that as the play clock ticks, the crowd gets quieter-- nearing a complete hush before the play? I believe this happens for two reasons: The anticipation of the crowd-- but more importantly, out of respect for the players on the field.

When the band is playing on the concourse, they have no idea what is going on on the field and therefore, are not able to show the same respect to the team. And, though I've only been to this year's and last year's games, Saturday was the first time that I ever heard them playing on the concourse at all. Is this a new idea?

Finally, sure, when the Bison lose or play badly, people complain. But as someone who isn't a quite a fanatic, I can say that the GSB was a distraction to my experience of the game on Saturday... and people have a right to complain about the band, too.

aces1180
10-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Boo hoo hoo. Bison play like crap and this board starts ripping on anything related or unrelated to the game that they didn't like. Typical. Why didn't you go move to one of the couple thousand blue seats that were open? It's quieter up there. You knew the band was going to be there. This wasn't some amazing surprise when you sat down.

Well, I have been in section 9 as a season ticket holder longer than the band has been in the end zone, so I won't move. But I also respect the band's right to be there. Is it annoying sometimes? Yes. Can I do anything about it besides share my opinion on this board? No.

How about the band learns to RESPECT the FOOTBALL TEAM and the game, which everyone paid money to see...It's not about the GSB, its about Bison football. So go ahead and play your Sweet Caroline for the 10th time or walk around the concourse...Just don't do it when it interferes with the game.

BigDeal
10-13-2008, 02:48 AM
Fair enough. I can respect that. But I'm not in the band and have never played Sweet Caroline. Also, college bands play on every down... offense and defense. Maybe it would be different if NDSU was still DII.

roadwarrior
10-13-2008, 12:28 PM
I dont know what the big deal is here. I have an aisle seat, just down from one of the entry ways, and I heard the band playing in the concourse but in no way did it distract from my attention to the game.

The GSMB is doing a great job this year!! Keep it up, and thanks for the changes.

aces1180
10-13-2008, 01:09 PM
I dont know what the big deal is here. I have an aisle seat, just down from one of the entry ways, and I heard the band playing in the concourse but in no way did it distract from my attention to the game.

The GSMB is doing a great job this year!! Keep it up, and thanks for the changes.

You have your opinion, I have mine.

BisBison
10-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Damn, do some people get grumpy after a loss. Looking for anyone to blame, but in this case you're looking at the wrong group. In no way did the band lose this game for us this week. The team did, I could go on and on about individual plays and players, but there are far too many to list here. Simply stated, we aren't going to win many games in this conference playing like this, mistake after mistake. Not good football IMHO especially for this time of the year. We're still making game 1 mistakes for crying out loud. :banghead: :ranting: :ranting: :banghead:

aces1180
10-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Damn, do some people get grumpy after a loss. Looking for anyone to blame, but in this case you're looking at the wrong group. In no way did the band lose this game for us this week. The team did, I could go on and on about individual plays and players, but there are far too many to list here. Simply stated, we aren't going to win many games in this conference playing like this, mistake after mistake. Not good football IMHO especially for this time of the year. We're still making game 1 mistakes for crying out loud. :banghead: :ranting: :ranting: :banghead:

I never said it was the band's fault that the football team lost! Re-read my posts. I just find them extremely annoying.

roadwarrior
10-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Last year (and previous years) we had the VERY annoying music played over the Fargodome sound system between plays, and yes, right up to the moment our QB was lining up to start the play, not to mention the quickie "commercials" that were read between plays.

I'll take the band playing between snaps any day over what we had in the past!

aces1180
10-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Last year (and previous years) we had the VERY annoying music played over the Fargodome sound system between plays, and yes, right up to the moment our QB was lining up to start the play, not to mention the quickie "commercials" that were read between plays.

I can agree with that about the "canned in" music...Unfortunately, sitting in the end zone, we could not hear it until last year (with the sound system upgrade). So I never really had a problem with it at all.

met1990

Road--are you insinuating that The Macarena was annoying?! ;)

roadwarrior
I can agree with that about the "canned in" music...Unfortunately, sitting in the end zone, we could not hear it until last year (with the sound system upgrade). So I never really had a problem with it at all.

Lucky you!

Bisonfan1
10-13-2008, 05:18 PM

Im with you ! I do have a question for the band, at homecoming the band marched around the tailgating area playing, that is great, and adds to big time college tailgating, the band in past years at a minimum would march and play on the street on the west side, what happened to all this every game ? It is appreciated when you do this.

SDbison
10-13-2008, 05:32 PM
Im with you ! I do have a question for the band, at homecoming the band marched around the tailgating area playing, that is great, and adds to big time college tailgating, the band in past years at a minimum would march and play on the street on the west side, what happened to all this every game ? It is appreciated when you do this.
The commercials are relly annoying......this is a college game not some semi pro league!

mebisonII
10-13-2008, 05:33 PM
If you have a legitimate concern about the band (or compliment, for that matter), shoot a polite email to Dr. Johnson. He seems to be a pretty reasonable guy. If you just don't like something they do, realize that there are 18,000 other paying customers at the dome who may like their football experience a little different than you do and that there's never going to be a day where everything lines up exactly to your specifications.

TbonZach
10-13-2008, 08:03 PM
I do have a question for the band, at homecoming the band marched around the tailgating area playing, that is great, and adds to big time college tailgating, the band in past years at a minimum would march and play on the street on the west side, what happened to all this every game ? It is appreciated when you do this.

Are you talking about us playing on the the west side every game or just at Homecoming? From what I remember,* the band has only really played on the west side if the President's tent was out there or if it was Homecoming. We still do the march-over to the dome passing by the south-east intersection of the west lot, but we don't stop and play "On Bison" every game.

*things start to blur together after 6 years in the Band

mebisonII
10-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Are you talking about us playing on the the west side every game or just at Homecoming? From what I remember,* the band has only really played on the west side if the President's tent was out there or if it was Homecoming. We still do the march-over to the dome passing by the south-east intersection of the west lot, but we don't stop and play "On Bison" every game.

Time to graduate, my friend :p

TbonZach
10-13-2008, 11:16 PM
Time to graduate, my friend :p

NEVER!

I vow to take over the legacy of most years in the Band!

No longer will people speak of the Drum Major who was in the band for 8 years, who's younger sister graduated before him.

No longer will they speak of the trumpet players who graduated after 6-7 years and came back to the Band as grad students.

They will only speak of me!

:p

56BISON73
10-13-2008, 11:21 PM
NEVER!

I vow to take over the legacy of most years in the Band!

No longer will people speak of the Drum Major who was in the band for 8 years, who's younger sister graduated before him.

No longer will they speak of the trumpet players who graduated after 6-7 years and came back to the Band as grad students.

They will only speak of me!

:p

Wow
You mean you dont run out of eligibility????:D
PL

mebisonII
10-13-2008, 11:27 PM

No longer will they speak of the trumpet players who graduated after 6-7 years and came back to the Band as grad students.....

There are multiple trumpet players who did that? I assumed you were talking about the wife of the afore-mentioned drum major, but there must be others...

mebisonII
10-13-2008, 11:28 PM
Wow
You mean you dont run out of eligibility????:D
PL

:rofl: :rofl: Take a redshirt year Tbon!

Bisonfan1
10-15-2008, 06:11 PM

Why not, heard alot of comments that they would like to see the band come play for a brief to the tailgating crowd every game. This is where your die hards are, and not the sit on your hands crowd in the dome. It adds alot to tailgating and promotes a big time college atmosphere. Just a suggestion, we all enjoyed when it has happened. Either the whole band on the west side street, or a smaller group with one pass through the tailgating lots would be cool.

56BISON73
10-15-2008, 06:22 PM

No better way to remove the stigma from the past but to go out and engage the public. Considering your new numbers and how well you now sound head to the tailgate lots.
If you do that you will aquire many new fans and a following. People will be wondering when you will be coming through the next game. PL

MN_BISON
10-15-2008, 06:38 PM
Why not, heard alot of comments that they would like to see the band come play for a brief to the tailgating crowd every game. This is where your die hards are, and not the sit on your hands crowd in the dome. It adds alot to tailgating and promotes a big time college atmosphere. Just a suggestion, we all enjoyed when it has happened. Either the whole band on the west side street, or a smaller group with one pass through the tailgating lots would be cool.

I agree, the band should play the west lot at every home game. Pump out a little In Heaven There is No Beer and the school fight song and all will be well. :nod:

TbonZach
10-15-2008, 07:31 PM
No better way to remove the stigma from the past but to go out and engage the public. Considering your new numbers and how well you now sound head to the tailgate lots.
If you do that you will aquire many new fans and a following. People will be wondering when you will be coming through the next game. PL

I'll pass this along to Dr. Johnson. I'm sure something can be arranged.

imabison
10-15-2008, 08:24 PM
I'll pass this along to Dr. Johnson. I'm sure something can be arranged.
Even if the band is able to march into the middle of the lot, and turn back out thru the band similar to when you first come on the field. I understand its pretty hard to work your way throught the lot end to end.

Bisonguy
10-15-2008, 10:00 PM
The problem arises to the fact that they use the PA for that purpose instead of all the electronic boards that they have in the end zones. I emailed them on the problem of virtually no game scores being shown and they said they would do a better job. Well the last game I was at it wasnt any better and the scores they did post were a who cares.
My guess is the reason they dont use the electronics is it is being used for advertisements---think $$$$$$. Its pretty sad when you are at a D1 football game and you dont get many other scores. First place Ive ever been where this is a problem. PL

I've seen plenty of score updates for the past couple of years up on the large banner display below the scoreboard. I'll see a score for most conference games updated at least four times on the banner board, and I don't even look up at the scoreboard that often.

BigBison
10-16-2008, 07:50 AM

WOOT! Goin on six years also my friend! And I got a couple more left, ok its kinda sad :(

BigDeal
10-16-2008, 03:26 PM
Graduating college in 4 years is like leaving a party at 10:00 PM. Who does that?

BlueBisonRock
10-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Graduating college in 4 years is like leaving a party at 10:00 PM. Who does that?

I would never leave a party at 10:00, but I did graduate in 4 years. Then I realized that I missed the experience, so I went back to grad school. There are options! :D

Herd Mentality
10-17-2008, 02:41 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has noticed, but we seem to have some pretty cool technology available to us these days. It would be cheap and easy to rig up a simple system whereby the announcer could notify the band when there was an announcemnt to be made. "Green light play....Red light no play"

Wis_Bison_05
10-17-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has noticed, but we seem to have some pretty cool technology available to us these days. It would be cheap and easy to rig up a simple system whereby the announcer could notify the band when there was an announcemnt to be made. "Green light play....Red light no play"

I don't think that would ever work...red light/green light...way too complicated.:D

BigDeal
10-17-2008, 04:25 PM
The drum majors have headsets and they are in constant communication with the booth. If the band is not supposed to play for whatever reason, they are given that message. Otherwise, it's fair game.

Bisonfan1
10-18-2008, 01:54 AM

OK Captain Christopher Pike from "STAR TREK" LOL

SDbison
10-18-2008, 06:19 PM
HaHa.....LOL......wonder how many on this messageboard get it?

ndsubison1
10-19-2008, 06:15 AM

nope :confused:

Hammersmith
10-19-2008, 07:04 PM
<beep beep>

(do I get a beautiful, imaginary woman at the end of the thread?)

bisonbrody9
10-21-2008, 03:54 AM
Many of us have rehashed the problems with our football squad, but I feel it is necessary to discuss how dumb our band was yesterday. I have three instances:

1. The Bison are on offense going north from our own 20-yard line. The band decides it would be a good idea to start playing in the south concourse, which echos back to the field. Dumb.

2. Between the third and fourth quarter, the big screens are showing the "Be Herd" clip of the week. Of course, instead of allowing me to hear the music in the clip, the band plays on. Dumb.

3. The chanting towards the officials on a penalty or call that goes against the Bison. Not really dumb, but annoying.

I notice these things because I sit in section nine, so many of you will not notice or agree with me. However, they need to figure out that people are there to watch the game, not them. I sometimes wish that the halftime entertainment would be a dog and frisbee, as the song selection is still boring and repetitive.

Rant over - Flame away.

amen! hallelujeah brotha!

NDSU1980
10-21-2008, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Bisonfan1 View Post

Any of us old geezers who grew up in the 60's (or watched reruns in the 70's).

56BISON73
10-21-2008, 10:32 PM

Good one. PL