PDA

View Full Version : chop block

steelbison
10-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Question on the chop block rule.

Unless it has changed the chop block rule states you can not hit a person below the waste if he is engaged with another player. But I thought inside the tackles you could cut block someone.

If anyone knows for sure I would be interested. On that chop block call the tackle just cut the legs out of the D-tackle and he was not engaged by anyone. Is that a penalty???

steelbison
10-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Does anyone know the rule?????? Thanks!!!!

steelbison
10-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Chop Block (Rule 2-3-3). The definition of the chop block has been simplified to assist in the understanding of this rule and to encourage more consistent officiating. A chop block is now defined as a high-low or low-high combination block by any two players against an opponent (other than the runner) anywhere on the field, with or without a delay between contacts. The “low” component is at the opponent’s thigh or below. A dangerous action that can lead to serious injury, the chop block is a personal foul that carries a 15-yard penalty.

Well I went and found my answer and we have to quit calling the player out on this because I have watched the play 10 times and in no way was this a chop block. All he did was cut him and he was not engaged or no other player was around.

The ref totally jobbed us on this call...it's not even questionable?? So let's back off the player as he did what he was coached to do on this play..

Bisonfan1
10-12-2008, 04:31 PM
I do know Bohl would/could not comment on that penalty call, that sends a message to me loud and clear. Also the pass interferance call happened right in front of us, I failed to see pass interferance, I saw a very good defensive play. And no I am not saying the refs decided the game, the Bison did that on their own.

ndsubison1
10-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Question on the chop block rule.

Unless it has changed the chop block rule states you can not hit a person below the waste if he is engaged with another player. But I thought inside the tackles you could cut block someone.

If anyone knows for sure I would be interested. On that chop block call the tackle just cut the legs out of the D-tackle and he was not engaged by anyone. Is that a penalty???

pretty sure you can't do this, even in the tacklebox

missingnumber7
10-12-2008, 07:48 PM
pretty sure you can't do this, even in the tacklebox

That would be correct.

But that was just one call, talk about referee confusion on the interference with an opportunity to make a fair catch. The ref said "the recieving team blocked the player into the player making the catch" What really happened, the kicking team pushed a member of the receiving team into the receiver...thus 15 yard penalty.

Idiot reference #2
Where to place the ball after a kickoff out of bounds.

Idiot reference #3
Not being in charge when you wear the white hat on the field.

westnodak93bison
10-12-2008, 09:01 PM
the group of officials yesterday were definitely the most unorganized group I have ever witnessed and that included high school games

roadwarrior
10-12-2008, 09:04 PM
the group of officials yesterday were definitely the most unorganized group I have ever witnessed and that included high school games

I agree! I would bet that 80% of the spectators knew the rule had changed on where to place the ball when a kickoff went out of bounds!

tjbison
10-12-2008, 10:08 PM
I agree! I would bet that 80% of the spectators knew the rule had changed on where to place the ball when a kickoff went out of bounds!

except for the moron behind me!!:)

56BISON73
10-12-2008, 10:09 PM

Road whats the official ruling on that??? I have to admit that I was unaware of the change and was confused yesterday. PL

Jay
10-12-2008, 10:18 PM
Road whats the official ruling on that??? I have to admit that I was unaware of the change and was confused yesterday. PL

Ball goes on the 40 if kicked out of bounds.

56BISON73
10-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Ball goes on the 40 if kicked out of bounds.

Pretty simple. Thanks. PL

stevdock
10-12-2008, 10:55 PM
As an offensive linemen I am quite confused about these chop blocks that are being called also. Not on the definition, but most of the chop blocks are being called on running plays. How is that even possible on a dive play right up the middle?? I've seen it many times on pass plays but until this season I've never seen it called on running plays, well until this year that is.

56BISON73
10-12-2008, 10:58 PM
As an offensive linemen I am quite confused about these chop blocks that are being called also. Not on the definition, but most of the chop blocks are being called on running plays. How is that even possible on a dive play right up the middle?? I've seen it many times on pass plays but until this season I've never seen it called on running plays, well until this year that is.

Im kind of confused also---but it seems that there is no---when you are double teaming a guy for one to be high and the other low.

But if you are one on one does it also mean that you cant use a cut block??? Is it ok in the box??? Out of the box??? Down field??? PL

stevdock
10-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Im kind of confused also---but it seems that there is no---when you are double teaming a guy for one to be high and the other low.

But if you are one on one does it also mean that you cant use a cut block??? Is it ok in the box??? Out of the box??? Down field??? PL

As far as I know cut blocks are still legal. My brother was at the Wyoming game and saw lots of cut blocks from the line. On the chop block yesterday the flag was thrown at hole, so I am completely confused then. I can see if it's away from the play, where the backside tackle is calling for a cut and that defensive player engages the guard at the same time he is cut. That one I can understand, but from what I saw yesterday the chop was called at the hole.

RunDMc34
10-12-2008, 11:18 PM
you can cut somebody, 1. if they aren't engaged with another player 2. if they are inside the "free blocking zone" ie inside the tackles

ndsubison1
10-12-2008, 11:20 PM
As far as I know cut blocks are still legal. My brother was at the Wyoming game and saw lots of cut blocks from the line. On the chop block yesterday the flag was thrown at hole, so I am completely confused then. I can see if it's away from the play, where the backside tackle is calling for a cut and that defensive player engages the guard at the same time he is cut. That one I can understand, but from what I saw yesterday the chop was called at the hole.

yeah, if one guy is engaging a player up high then one cannot cut him down low, one on one it is perfectly legal as long as the ballcarrier is not past you. That's a chop block... a cut block which is one on one is legal as long as the ball carrier is not past you, if he is it is illegal. But if a "cut" block is performed from behind then it's considered a "chop" block and is illegal.

I know it's confusing, but they should clarify this more. Basically, "chop" blocks are dirty and mean to injure a player. "Cut" blocks are clean and from in front of a player.

stevdock
10-12-2008, 11:21 PM
RunDMc you are absolutely right. If someone can figure out how these chop blocks are happening at the point of attack I would be very interested to know.

A1pigskin
10-13-2008, 01:26 AM
It should never happen. Our guys should know better.

tjbison
10-13-2008, 01:35 AM

Sometimes things happen that are not intentional!

stevdock
10-13-2008, 01:45 AM

Well of course they know that it's illegal. And I am pretty sure that it is never done intentionally. The issue is how is it happening?? Did anybody while watching it on TV happen to see what happened?? This just doesn't happen on a running play up the middle. More than anything else that's going on with our team, I'd really like to know what's going on with this.

steelbison
10-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Our guy didn't do anything illegal. Our right tackle came in and cut the d-fensive tackle...He was not engaged..A very legal play. I recorded the game and have watched this play several times.

We were jobbed...plain and simple. Not that the refs cost us the game. But that call prevented us from having an oppourtunity to win the game.

Our player cut his man which is what he is supposed to do on the play.

missingnumber7
10-13-2008, 11:33 PM
you can cut somebody, 1. if they aren't engaged with another player 2. if they are inside the "free blocking zone" ie inside the tackles

The chop block was called for a high/low. The free blocking zone does not apply.

BisonNolesFan77
10-14-2008, 01:46 AM
The chop block call was bad, the there was no other offensive player engaged with the WIU player, I dont know what the Ref's were looking at, but that was a 100% legal play.

Also, the pass interferance call I think was more because the D-Back, I forget at the moment who it was, didnt turn and look at the ball.

The Crew for the game on Saturday was bad, I had better crews when I was playing middle school football.

Bisonfan1
10-14-2008, 02:29 AM
The chop block call was bad, the there was no other offensive player engaged with the WIU player, I dont know what the Ref's were looking at, but that was a 100% legal play.

Also, the pass interferance call I think was more because the D-Back, I forget at the moment who it was, didnt turn and look at the ball.

The Crew for the game on Saturday was bad, I had better crews when I was playing middle school football.

I was hoping someone that taped the game could go over that pass interferance call. I might have blinked once at the wrong time, but nobody in our section felt it was pass interferance ( Call around the 10 yard line on the north end) again, not blaming the refs, the band, the concessions guy, dome security, shoe shine guy, janitor, catering dude, pizza dude, lakesbison, herd mentality (well maybe) etc for the loss, just thought some of the calls were very questionable this game.

McBison
10-14-2008, 02:33 AM

Start the clock on my whistle...

stevdock
10-14-2008, 02:34 AM

Yes the Pass Interference call was completely legit as our DB never turned his head and was a very easy face guarding call. As far as the chop block I am extremely disappointed if what you guys say is true, that it was just a cut block.

ndsubison1
10-14-2008, 02:38 AM
i thought that was easily pass interference, the db wasn't even looking for the ball at all

d3boys
10-14-2008, 11:37 PM
I agree that was a good call
not a good play

RunDMc34
10-14-2008, 11:44 PM
Yes the Pass Interference call was completely legit as our DB never turned his head and was a very easy face guarding call. As far as the chop block I am extremely disappointed if what you guys say is true, that it was just a cut block.

im not sure that there is such a thing as face gaurding, it sure seemed to me there was little contact made on that play and the worst part the freaking primary official on the call didnt make it the Backjudge did. Thats what kills me how does the guy 3 feet away see nothing wrong with the play but a guy from the middle of the field chucks a flag?:banghead:

NorthernBison
10-14-2008, 11:46 PM
I have a question for anybody that thinks the pass interference was a bad call. If the situation was reversed, would you have been screaming for a flag?

I think we know the answer.

As for the chop block call, I have no desire to review the video. Too depressing. The official didn't hesitate to throw the flag so he obviously saw something. It isn't the first time we drew this call. If the blocking is designed this way and officials continue to call it the way they are, I expect us to draw more 15 yard penalties. Arguing about it won't help much.