PDA

View Full Version : Students ONLY Thread: NDSU 12th Man

BigBison
10-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Hey Students We need to get something going to make the student section BUCK WILD AGAIN!!! This last weeks game was a joke, however the students that made the game were good. We need new cheers! We need ways to get more freshman crazy! Whatever happen to the Bison Brigade? We know about Bison Pride but how about Bison Loyalty, meaning staying for the whole game and still supporting our team even though we're down. I know theres about a dozen or so students on this forum. Lets meet up or somehow all get in the same section for next game. Maybe make signs to get the whole student sections doing the same cheer, kinda like how the pac-10 school use megaphones(but we cant have megaphones). We need ways to get the upper sections as crazy as the lower. How can we get more students to stay longer? Are you guys with me on this. Is there away we could use Facebook on this?

New Cheers List:

"Stand Up Old People"
"2's A Dumbass" (instead of you know what)
"Drop That Kick" when they're punting

chuckles
10-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Inn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UTH
10-12-2008, 04:06 PM
I was a student once, too...

"Two's a Poophead!"

ndsubison1
10-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Hey Students We need to get something going to make the student section BUCK WILD AGAIN!!! This last weeks game was a joke, however the students that made the game were good. We need new cheers! We need ways to get more freshman crazy! Whatever happen to the Bison Brigade? We know about Bison Pride but how about Bison Loyalty, meaning staying for the whole game and still supporting our team even though we're down. I know theres about a dozen or so students on this forum. Lets meet up or somehow all get in the same section for next game. Maybe make signs to get the whole student sections doing the same cheer, kinda like how the pac-10 school use megaphones(but we cant have megaphones). We need ways to get the upper sections as crazy as the lower. How can we get more students to stay longer? Are you guys with me on this. Is there away we could use Facebook on this?

New Cheers List:

"Stand Up Old People"

i agree, something needs to be done... we need some new cheers... we should try and get in the same area for the next game... We need to do something... we should think of a chant that can get the whole student section into it.

duluthbison
10-12-2008, 05:33 PM
I'm totally inn!!! To me at this last game, I was hearing more chants than I have heard before..especially UND chants while the band was playing and the Hail the Bison song (which i still do not know all to words to, if someone could post that :) ) But that was in the front section, I don't think it caught on in the upper part of the student section.

MAKBison
10-12-2008, 05:45 PM
I suggest you get with the cheer squad and the band…..just approach them! If you can work something out ie create an uniformed front with them, it adds 100+ to the cause. Also remember the band is miced.

BTW it is ok to beg, steal, and borrow ideas that work from other schools.

Now if you really want to get something going you can actually create an official student organization….the benefits of this is you qualify for a budget and it legitimizes the group. It is a bit of work, but not so bad that a motivated couple of students can not get it done.

99Bison
10-12-2008, 05:47 PM
I suggest you get with the cheer squad and the band…..just approach them! If you can work something out ie create an unformed front with them, it adds 100+ to the cause. Also remember the band is miced.

BTW it is ok to beg, steal, and borrow ideas that work from other schools.

Now if you really want to get something going you can actually create an official student organization….the benefits of this is you qualify for a budget and it legitimizes the group. It is a bit of work, but not so bad a motivated couple of students can not get it done.

Agreed, go look up "the 12th man" Texas A&M's students game plan.

gt_bison
10-12-2008, 06:02 PM
I'm a grad student at another school, does that count as allowing me to post here? Even if not, let me throw out an idea of how to get the band involved in getting everyone in the dome involved. At Georgia Tech, we have a very strict regiment of what gets played when. After a TD, the band plays Up with the White and Gold, and after a successful PAT or a successful field goal, they play Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech. Everyone in the stadium is on their feet, clapping along in unison, and most are singing along. Why can't we do this with We are the Pride and On Bison. Admittedly, a lot of people don't know the words, but that's why you break out the video screens and show the lyrics. If the band had a standard song they played when it's third down for the opponent, that might help get people on their feet and noisy faster. If the students would get behind something like this, the rest of the crowd would have little choice but to follow.

ndsubison1
10-12-2008, 06:05 PM
"block that kick" on every kick and punt

"stand up old people"

"2's a retard".. oh wait is that a bad word too?

The band should play jump round, between a quarter or timeout or something and the whole student section can jump around and get rowdy... any band ppl that could get on top of this?

we gotta think of some more...

56BISON73
10-12-2008, 06:07 PM
block that kick on every kick and punt

stand up old people

2's a retard.. oh wait is that a bad word too?

The band should play jump round, between a quarter or timeout or something and the whole student section can jump around and get rowdy... any band ppl that could get on top of this?

Hmmm a question---do you ever watch the game?????:D PL

ndsubison1
10-12-2008, 06:09 PM

yes i do, why you ask? I just want to think of some new chants

MAKBison
10-12-2008, 06:21 PM
"block that kick" on every kick and punt

"stand up old people"

"2's a retard".. oh wait is that a bad word too?

2 is a scab!

ndsubison1
10-12-2008, 06:23 PM
when mcnorton had that long kickoff return we should have chanted: "He's a freshman" clap, clap, clap clap clap and so on... for future reference

d3boys
10-12-2008, 06:51 PM

New Cheers List:

"Stand Up Old People"

dont worry about the old people
students should go crazy and carry the crowd

BisonAccountant44
10-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Now if you really want to get something going you can actually create an official student organization….the benefits of this is you qualify for a budget and it legitimizes the group. It is a bit of work, but not so bad that a motivated couple of students can not get it done.

Whatever happened to the Bison Brigade? Are they still around?

SlickVic
10-12-2008, 07:04 PM
the student section is not fixable...seriously i think if you walked around campus and asked 100 random students 65-75 wouldn't even know we had a football team...obviously im being sarcastic but playing basketball at the wellness in the winter time there it is not uncommon to have 5 or more football players playing and nobody has a clue who they are...pretty pathetic

Bisonips
10-12-2008, 07:07 PM
1) Using facebook might be a good idea to reach students. Especially about broadcasting cheers that might be innappropriate for 'university approval'. Start a profile as "Bison Fan Fanatic" or "Bison Brigade" or "Thundar" and add every single student at NDSU to your friends. It would probably have to be a group effort - but I think the results would be worth it.

2) Does the Bison Brigade still exist? I was always a member of it and went to some meetings, but it always seemed like kind of difficult organization to raise membership and actual student participation (not just wearing the T-shirt). Thier meetings would be a good forum to get the word out about new chants. Can they send emails over the list-serv with cheer suggestions?

3) Are freshmen still required to take Universtity Studies 189? It should be a requirement to pass that class to learn the words to the fight song. Also, every student should have to hand in at least 10 ticket stubs from various sporting events to pass the class.

/My 2 cents

MAKBison
10-12-2008, 07:55 PM
1) Using facebook might be a good idea to reach students. Especially about broadcasting cheers that might be innappropriate for 'university approval'. Start a profile as "Bison Fan Fanatic" or "Bison Brigade" or "Thundar" and add every single student at NDSU to your friends. It would probably have to be a group effort - but I think the results would be worth it.

2) Does the Bison Brigade still exist? I was always a member of it and went to some meetings, but it always seemed like kind of difficult organization to raise membership and actual student participation (not just wearing the T-shirt). Thier meetings would be a good forum to get the word out about new chants. Can they send emails over the list-serv with cheer suggestions?

3) Are freshmen still required to take Universtity Studies 189? It should be a requirement to pass that class to learn the words to the fight song. Also, every student should have to hand in at least 10 ticket stubs from various sporting events to pass the class.

/My 2 cents

I am not sure, but what you do is you get the student executive council to write into the bylaws that all NDSU students are members of the BB. That way the group maximizes the amount of student $$ they receive. With the $$ you can do things like buy 5000 yellow shirts and pass them out to the crowed, go out to West Acres and randomly pass out shirts, mini FB etc, invite the radio or news station to do live feeds from the tailgating parking lots. There are lots of things a group can do. BTW…..the official introduction and pregame stuff needs a lot of work.

duluthbison
10-12-2008, 08:15 PM

I would be willing to set up a facebook group, but would need ALOT of help to recruit tons of students. Maybe if some of you would be willing to become officers for the group? What do you think? I think with a little work, we can get word out to many students about what chants to use at the next game, what ones not to use, and of course to rally them to go to the games!!

ndsubison1
10-12-2008, 08:35 PM
the student section is not fixable...seriously i think if you walked around campus and asked 100 random students 65-75 wouldn't even know we had a football team...obviously im being sarcastic but playing basketball at the wellness in the winter time there it is not uncommon to have 5 or more football players playing and nobody has a clue who they are...pretty pathetic

yeah, i usually play ball at the wellness on a daily basis and i do recognize the football players, but yeah i am sure most have no clue

ndsubison1
10-12-2008, 08:35 PM
I would be willing to set up a facebook group, but would need ALOT of help to recruit tons of students. Maybe if some of you would be willing to become officers for the group? What do you think? I think with a little work, we can get word out to many students about what chants to use at the next game, what ones not to use, and of course to rally them to go to the games!!

i'd be game... i could be an officer and try and get something done

duluthbison
10-12-2008, 09:26 PM
i'd be game... i could be an officer and try and get something done

Good, if anyone wants to help out with the facebook group, just send me a private message so I can keep track of it all. And I probably won't get anything done tonight or tomorrow due to some exams at school :mad: So maybe middle to end of the week I can get something together. Thanks for the interest!!

NDSUFan_Sav
10-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Good, if anyone wants to help out with the facebook group, just send me a private message so I can keep track of it all. And I probably won't get anything done tonight or tomorrow due to some exams at school :mad: So maybe middle to end of the week I can get something together. Thanks for the interest!!

yeah hook me up as an officer, i barely have a voice today, as ming witnessed i was yelling almost nonstop, so if any of you students want the student section to yell clone me and it'll become loud, ok for real tho if someone can save me a spot in the front of section 16 or 15, we'll get that place rocking :)

duluthbison
10-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Alright so I got sidetracked while studying, I created a group in facebook here http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=39137668622&ref=mf
Please join and tell me what you think
Thanks

onbison09
10-12-2008, 11:50 PM
"Defense don't work" is a good one if the other gives up a lot. (save for Indiana State)
Just chanting someone's name can be good.
Start some disel chants for Tyler.

BigBison
10-13-2008, 01:00 AM
Ok theres already a bunch of NDSU groups on facebook, I'm apart of like 10, but what we need to do is to somehow send a message to ALL of the students. We need to bring up the games in class and get people pumped. Get new people to come to a game that have never been there before.

BigBison
10-13-2008, 01:04 AM
As far as getting in touch with the cheer team I dont think thats going to work out, since the cheer teams is only going to do the PC cheers. And the students couldnt care less about them. What works is fans in the stands, get 10-20 people doing it all at the same time and it catchs on fast. We should keep up with the band though they do some really cool things that if the WHOLE student section would do it would be awesome. I gotta study now lata. We Need to bring back the Bison Brigade, but actually get people to cheer and make it work.

WestDakotaBison
10-13-2008, 01:49 AM
This may have been suggested already, but when I went to school the spectrum (your campus newspaper) had a "letters to the editor" or "opinions" column. start calling out your fellow students...get one of their writers to do a cover story.

McBison
10-13-2008, 02:07 AM
Besides ‘lets go bison’ the only chants I like are the obnoxious offensive ones. I could not get into the ‘you can’t do that’ @ the game sat. I would love the South GA/Student Section and the West Student Section to do the ‘ESFU’ chant they do in Wisconsin.

I thought I heard the band spell vacuum, anyone else?

duluthbison
10-13-2008, 02:11 AM
Right some of the more offensive chants are more fun, but look at what the #2 chant started. It made some of the uppedy ups at the university mad and they sent out an e-mail telling us to stop. I can't imagine what they would do if we started the ESFU chant. It just makes us look all that more immature and tacky.

McBison
10-13-2008, 02:16 AM
I think EVERYONE wants the 2 chant gone for good. It’s an embarrassment to the whole area. BUT, I think we can push the envelope a little more than ‘you can’t do that’

ndsubison1
10-13-2008, 02:56 AM
it's kinda hard to do fun and creative chants/cheers when you have the PC police hovering all over your asses

BigBison
10-13-2008, 04:14 AM
As far as the ESFU chant goes, it works better in a 80,000 seat outdoor stadium vs. 19,000 dome. And I know the Wisconsin students have come under alot of flack for that chant.

I have been thinking about writing the school news papers.

Hammersmith
10-14-2008, 02:44 AM
Besides ‘lets go bison’ the only chants I like are the obnoxious offensive ones. I could not get into the ‘you can’t do that’ @ the game sat. I would love the South GA/Student Section and the West Student Section to do the ‘ESFU’ chant they do in Wisconsin.

I thought I heard the band spell vacuum, anyone else?

Standard GSMB cheers*:

VACUUM - hey ref, you suck
BRA - hold em, hold em, hold em (opponent in red zone)
CONDOM - safety, safety, safety (opponent pinned inside the 5)
SEX - score, score, score (Bison in red zone)

*at least they were standard in the past; don't know how PC Olfert got
**looking back, the band seemed to have a one-track mind

MAKBison
10-14-2008, 03:53 AM
Ok theres already a bunch of NDSU groups on facebook, I'm apart of like 10, but what we need to do is to somehow send a message to ALL of the students. We need to bring up the games in class and get people pumped. Get new people to come to a game that have never been there before.

Create a legitimate school club…like steak and sirloin. All you have to do is create bylaws and file the paper work. This will provide legitimacy in NDSU eyes and qualifies you for a budget ie a portion of your student fees funds these clubs.

you could get buck wild with it and go to team makers and ask them if a student member for the club could be allowed to sit on the teammakers executive council so as to promote continuity

BTW...ask GT who would make a good faculty rep.

BTWA…if you do this legitimately you need to keep the glee clean as it should be.

duluthbison
10-14-2008, 04:10 AM
This would be a problem, it wouldn't matter if we had some students with team makers, they still cannot control 4,000 students. All it would take is a handful of students to start that stupid 2 chant or something worse to screw something up. :banghead:

BTWA…if you do this legitimately you need to keep the glee clean as it should be.

BigBison
10-14-2008, 07:17 AM

Well actually when I'm in the student section I do miss alot of the game because I'm cheering or looking around. LOL.