PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs?

4mcruenomore
10-12-2008, 01:23 AM
I love the bison, these made me laugh a little and set me in perspective for where we are right now. Come on, laugh. The guys played their hearts out, I do love the Bison. We live on to play another day fellas, still the thundering herd.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq7BYOnDrM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tie0tz7jGDI&feature=related

Alright, got a laugh, now let's win that F'n Marker Trophy fellas.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph8kGPXOoUw

aces1180
10-12-2008, 02:12 AM
I love the bison, these made me laugh a little and set me in perspective for where we are right now. Come on, laugh. The guys played their hearts out, I do love the Bison. We live on to play another day fellas, still the thundering herd.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq7BYOnDrM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tie0tz7jGDI&feature=related

Alright, got a laugh, now let's win that F'n Marker Trophy fellas.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph8kGPXOoUw

I started on this same rant after the game...My dad and my friends got a good laugh after a tough loss.

chuckles
10-12-2008, 02:30 AM
we certainly need to get back into that "one game at a time mentality" that is what made us good in 2006, and it worked well until after the MN game last year. But since then we need to focus at the next foe, and only that foe. Who cares what the polls say, what the media says, what the fans say. Don't think about playoffs, SDSU, nuthin. Get the work done during the week, get the job done on Saturday one WEEK at a time!!!!!!

THEsocalledfan
10-12-2008, 02:48 AM
Playoffs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq7BYOnDrM

ndsubison1
10-12-2008, 03:01 AM
Well, we basically need to win out plus some help from others in order to make the playoffs... doesn't look like it's going to happen

NDSUstudent
10-12-2008, 03:06 AM
Well, we basically need to win out plus some help from others in order to make the playoffs... doesn't look like it's going to happen

No, win out and we are in. Lose one and we need a lot of help.

That said, we are going to need a great game to beat UNI. They are going to want to finish us.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-12-2008, 03:07 AM
Playoffs aren't on the radar screen anymore. Far from it. Actually, we didn't play that bad today. A dropped pass here, a blocked punt there, a blow coverage, etc. and were in the game, possibly with a win. The conference is very balanced, and if the ball bonces our way we win, if not, we lose.

What does this all mean. We are an average team, at best, that needs to rely on luck to win games. Gone are the days of dominating the other team. We're average, and if we're lucky we win, if not, we lose.

IT SUCKS TO BE AVERAGE. WHO CARES ABOUT THE PLAYOFFS. WE WOULD LOSE IN THE FIRST ROUND ANYWAY. WE DON'T DESERVE IT. TIME TO REBUILD FOR 2010.

bisonmike2
10-12-2008, 05:34 AM
not this year and probably not next. my guess, 2010.

No_Skill
10-12-2008, 05:38 AM
not this year and probably not next. my guess, 2010.

On top of that, even if by some miracle we made the playoffs, we likely wouldn't get a home game.

NDSUstudent
10-12-2008, 05:41 AM
Lets not write off the playoffs for two years quite yet. In fact this thread should just die, McFeely made a good point in his column today and that is lets just worry about the Bison playing one good football game.

bisonmike2
10-12-2008, 06:48 AM
Lets not write off the playoffs for two years quite yet. In fact this thread should just die, McFeely made a good point in his column today and that is lets just worry about the Bison playing one good football game.

That's exactly why this thread exist. We haven't played a whole game against a decent opponent for a very long time so why would we even think about the playoffs? I predicted 2010 and honestly I should have predicted 2011 or 12 or even further. Mertens aint going to get it done this year or the next especially with Roehl graduating. This years team was loaded and had all the talent in the world. Next year we have some serious holes to fill. Then we are going to have Jose come in as a sophomore. No way, regardless of how good Lakes thinks he is, is he going to take this team to the playoffs as a first year starter. Not in this league, no chance. And I'm not even going to mention that there is about 1% chance that Bohl is our coach in 3 years. Call me mr. gloom and doom but that's the way I'm calling it.

tjbison
10-12-2008, 06:52 AM
That's exactly why this thread exist. We haven't played a whole game against a decent opponent for a very long time so why would we even think about the playoffs? I predicted 2010 and honestly I should have predicted 2011 or 12 or even further. Mertens aint going to get it done this year or the next especially with Roehl graduating. This years team was loaded and had all the talent in the world. Next year we have some serious holes to fill. Then we are going to have Jose come in as a sophomore. No way, regardless of how good Lakes thinks he is, is he going to take this team to the playoffs as a first year starter. Not in this league, no chance. And I'm not even going to mention that there is about 1% chance that Bohl is our coach in 3 years. Call me mr. gloom and doom but that's the way I'm calling it.

thats an understatement!!

NDSUstudent
10-12-2008, 07:00 AM

Wow, so in your world Bohl can't recruit good players, can't develop the players we have, can't take our team to the playoffs, and despite that you somehow think a program is going to hire Bohl away? Or is Taylor going to fire him? Or is Taylor going to be fired as well?

It is highly irrational to look out that far, you never know when a player will emerge out of nowhere. Nobody thought much of either Walker or Roehl right away, and look what they did. You also don't know how a team will develop or just who Bohl will bring in when it comes to recruiting.

Despite your doom and gloom, Bohl can recruit, develop, and manage with the best of them and that is why I have full confidence that he will lead us on a playoff run before 2011.

bisonmike2
10-12-2008, 07:21 AM
Wow, so in your world Bohl can't recruit good players, can't develop the players we have, can't take our team to the playoffs, and despite that you somehow think a program is going to hire Bohl away? Or is Taylor going to fire him? Or is Taylor going to be fired as well?

It is highly irrational to look out that far, you never know when a player will emerge out of nowhere. Nobody thought much of either Walker or Roehl right away, and look what they did. You also don't know how a team will develop or just who Bohl will bring in when it comes to recruiting.

Despite your doom and gloom, Bohl can recruit, develop, and manage with the best of them and that is why I have full confidence that he will lead us on a playoff run before 2011.

Bohl will leave and cash in his chips before completely erasing all credit he had for the past two seasons. And I'm not questioning Bohl's ability to recuit quality players, just quality players at specific positions. QB namely, who also happens to be the most important on the team. Walker wasn't his. Mertens has been very disapointing and the other 2 guys at that position are brand new to the team this year. Just calling it like I see it. My green and gold colored glasses are off.

BraxtonT
10-12-2008, 07:33 AM
thats an understatement!!

This quote was in reference to "Next year we have some serious holes to fill."

Well, I agree when it comes to the talent of some of the members of this senior class, but the leadership abilities of it won't be missed. That is, the leadership that is being shown right now.

The only true leadership ***I've seen*** has been Tyler Roehl at Youngstown and last week against SIU. I didn't see him have the same intensity yesterday as those previous two games. He needs help in that department, but isn't getting it. It's time for the entire senior class to step up.

No matter what sport your talking about, seniors/ veterans need to be the leaders (by example or being inspirational) for the younger players. Football is not a sport to be played with limited emotion. Someone needs to fill that role on both sides of the ball and special teams.

"Backs against the wall" is where we are right now. One focused game in Cedar Falls with an intensity level of a "do or die" mentality can turn everything around. To steal a tennis term, the ball is in our court. The big question is, "What are we going to do with it?"

***His emotion got everyone else geared up on offense---> more points!!!

NDSUstudent
10-12-2008, 07:34 AM
Bohl will leave and cash in his chips before completely erasing all credit he had for the past two seasons. And I'm not questioning Bohl's ability to recuit quality players, just quality players at specific positions. QB namely, who also happens to be the most important on the team. Walker wasn't his. Mertens has been very disapointing and the other 2 guys at that position are brand new to the team this year. Just calling it like I see it. My green and gold colored glasses are off.

I wouldn't give up on Mertens just yet, he is not the problem. I think under performing seniors are the problem.

semobison
10-12-2008, 12:23 PM
We cant win in this league by challenging teams to stop our running game. We need to keep the other teams defense guessing. Our game plan yesterday tells me the coaching staff has lost confidence in our QB. Mertens has been regressing. We are not running the same offense that won us 20 games in 2 years. Are we capable of running that type of offense? I dont know, but its time to try!!

17>1
10-12-2008, 01:02 PM
I agree with that last post. We can't seem to get consistent play calling from week to week either. I know the offense had to adjust to a different look defensively with the 3-4, but from last week to this week it seemed like an entirely different offense, No quick outs, no Jangula on the PA in the flat, no little swing passes to Tyler, I mean, where'd all those plays go ? I could keep ranting, but I'm always about a day late so everything has been touched on. I'm going to Iowa next weekend and it looks like we could get our butts kicked and that's going to be a long drive home. I guess you never know which team the Bison will have show up, but it's consistently a not very consistent one. Pretty bummed right now.