PDA

View Full Version : Overconfidence Got To Our Heads

Bison101
10-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Overconfidence has certainly affected this season.

Ranked NUMBER ONE at the beginning of the year, we have slowly crumbled.

The over-hype of this team and our "National-Championship" have probably affected it. The players believed in their abilities more than their spirit.

We have come to the point this season, where we cannot even defeat a team that lost to Southern Utah and Missouri State. We can't defeat a team in a game where we gained more yards, and were at home.

Playoffs? How grateful we would be....

4mcruenomore
10-11-2008, 11:20 PM
NO, we just aren't really all that good. We must be in a rebuilding year.

Bison101
10-11-2008, 11:22 PM

If that's so, then why did all of the sportscasters predict a National Championship was very possible? Why was Craig Bohl so confident? Why did we spend thousands on promoting this team?

4mcruenomore
10-11-2008, 11:22 PM
I haven't seen that championship team yet.

Bison101
10-11-2008, 11:26 PM

Actually, I saw it before the season. Looking at the practices, spring game, etc, I have to say that I fell for the hype. How can a team possibly build on two 10-1 seasons in a row.

If you ask me, scheduling Wyoming was a mistake. Why schedule THAT team? Why not a team at a lesser altitude with less of a strong defense? Like a MAC team?

Scheduling, too, played big into the outcome.

4mcruenomore
10-11-2008, 11:27 PM
I'm not going to argue with anyone here, our record shows how we have played this year. I'm not less of a fan than you, I love the bison, but this is where we are at.

Bison101
10-11-2008, 11:29 PM
I'm not going to argue with anyone here, our record shows how we have played this year. I'm not less of a fan than you, I love the bison, but this is where we are at.

Well, if we are hungry at UNI, we are going to smash the rest of our foes. I guarantee it.

There could not be more of a critical game than the one at Northern Iowa.

The Panthers, but even more so the Bison, hold NDSU's destiny up for grabs.

Game on.

Jay
10-11-2008, 11:29 PM
If that's so, then why did all of the sportscasters predict a National Championship was very possible? Why was Craig Bohl so confident? Why did we spend thousands on promoting this team?

That was before any downs were played. we are not that good.

semobison
10-11-2008, 11:31 PM
I still think we have a lot of talent. The great thing about the last two years was that we kept the other teams defense off balance. We could score quickly if needed, or have long sustained drives. Our defense played well, but our ofense has become very predictable, and our QB doesnt have the confidence of the coaching staff or himself. We need to run the table to make the playoffs. It can be done but 6-5 is more likely! Im bummed!!

Bison101
10-11-2008, 11:31 PM
That was before any downs were played. we are not that good.

Yeah, we'll probably drop down to 19 or something.

Being a Bison today sucks. And boy, am I going to hear it from my Sioux aquaintances on Monday.

56BISON73
10-11-2008, 11:33 PM

Its called ""potential"". We arent living up to it. PL

IzzyFlexion
10-11-2008, 11:34 PM
We definately did not control the line of scrimmage well. Minimal surge for the running plays, and poor pass protection. It looked that that last INT was due, in part, to a D-lineman making contact with the throwing motion.

Jay
10-11-2008, 11:35 PM
Well, if we are hungry at UNI, we are going to smash the rest of our foes. I guarantee it.

Game on.

Can I have some of whatever you are smoking?

Bison101
10-11-2008, 11:37 PM
Can I have some of whatever you are smoking?

I'm smoking Optimism.

Bisonips
10-11-2008, 11:40 PM

There have been slight glimpses of it. But we've never fired on all cylinders. Seems like we've shot ourselves in the foot by missed passes, poor tackling, penalties, turnovers, etc. We've been given opportunities to win every game, but have failed to capitalize. As a fan, I'm disappointed. But I can't even begin to imagine the feelings inside that locker room right now. They expected big things and did not live up to those expectations. They know that they've let down the Bison faithful. At this point it is not about the fans. We like to criticize and call out those that don't live up to our expectations. That's part of sports and it helps create accountability, however, mid-season like this - what can change? Quite a gut-check was delivered today. Wonder what will come of it.

Bison101
10-11-2008, 11:48 PM
There have been slight glimpses of it. But we've never fired on all cylinders. Seems like we've shot ourselves in the foot by missed passes, poor tackling, penalties, turnovers, etc. We've been given opportunities to win every game, but have failed to capitalize. As a fan, I'm disappointed. But I can't even begin to imagine the feelings inside that locker room right now. They expected big things and did not live up to those expectations. They know that they've let down the Bison faithful. At this point it is not about the fans. We like to criticize and call out those that don't live up to our expectations. That's part of sports and it helps create accountability, however, mid-season like this - what can change? Quite a gut-check was delivered today. Wonder what will come of it.

Hopefully a good dose of revenge, optimism, hunger, and awareness. That's all we need to defeat UNI.

A1pigskin
10-12-2008, 12:27 AM
I think we'll drop below 20 and even below 25.

kurosawa
10-12-2008, 12:29 AM
Two consecutive 10-1 seasons and now this, you ask? It's simple. Here's two reasons why the results to date should not have come as a shock:

1. Much tougher level of competition
2. Loss of Steve Walker and Joe Mays

Shouldn't have scheduled Wyoming? Are you kidding? Wyoming lost to Utah 46-7 today. Last spring, everybody on this board was clamoring for an FBS opponent, certain the Bison would beat down whoever they played.

A1pigskin
10-12-2008, 12:30 AM
Lost Nate Safe. We lost some great talent from last year.

NDSU1980
10-12-2008, 12:34 AM
What gets my goat (and a few of my wife's sheep) is that other teams can successfully kick 50 yard field goals all day long and we can't get a PAT through the uprights, let alone a field goal. Sorry, just venting, but it's to the point I close my eyes when Bibeau kicks.

chuckles
10-12-2008, 12:38 AM
What gets my goat (and a few of my wife's sheep) is that other teams can successfully kick 50 yard field goals all day long and we can't get a PAT through the uprights, let alone a field goal. Sorry, just venting, but it's to the point I close my eyes when Bibeau kicks.
couldn't agree more, this kid was kicking better his freshmen year then he is now. field goal PATs should be a given, but nothin is anymore

A1pigskin
10-12-2008, 12:46 AM
I am starting to think so.

BisoninNWMN
10-12-2008, 01:49 AM
I am starting to think so.

They better get their sh** together or UNI will take them to the woodshed

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-12-2008, 02:51 AM

Rebuilding??? The team is made up of practically all seniors. What the is next year going to be like? If .500 is the new goal for this year, than next year we will be lucky to win a game.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-12-2008, 02:57 AM

Or when Mertens throws, or anyone tries to run the ball, or when the opposing teams runs the ball, or when the oppostion passes, or when we kick off, or when we receive a kickoff,........ you get the picture. :D

MinotBison
10-12-2008, 03:01 AM
Or when Mertens throws, or anyone tries to run the ball, or when the opposing teams runs the ball, or when the oppostion passes, or when we kick off, or when we receive a kickoff,........ you get the picture. :D

....Or when we punt.

Bisonette
10-12-2008, 03:08 AM
The Bison today played bad. I knew going into this season that people were expecting WAY too much out of Mertens...I mean he didnt even hardly play last season and then to take over for Walker. The Bison need to beat UNI to a pulp next week or risk having no students (or fans) in the stands the rest of the season.

I love the Bison and I'll be at the UNI game next weeked!!!

GO BISON!!!!!

56BISON73
10-12-2008, 03:10 AM
The Bison today played bad. I knew going into this season that people were expecting WAY too much out of Mertens...I mean he didnt even hardly play last season and then to take over for Walker. The Bison need to beat UNI to a pulp next week or risk having no students (or fans) in the stands the rest of the season.

I love the Bison and I'll be at the UNI game next weeked!!!

GO BISON!!!!!

Actually MANY were questioning Mertens leadership and playing ability going into the season because of his lack of playing time. Hes still making freshman mistakes and he doesnt protect the ball. Among other things. PL

MN_BISON
10-12-2008, 03:31 AM

I agree, Bibeau needs to get this head straight. The other thing that is just killing the Bison is dropped passes. Belquist dropped a sure TD in the first quarter. How many were dropped in WY? The Bison are leaving way to many points on the field and they are not good enough to do that and get away with it. It's gut check time and it begins right now for this team, no more room for error.

99Bison
10-12-2008, 03:33 AM
This team has no fire, no adrenaline running. You need to be fired up to focus properly and have that pop in your step. Don't see it, don't want it enough.

pantherhawkrolling
10-12-2008, 04:39 AM

Game on.

I just pop in every week, as I do on several conference boards, not trying to get off on someone else's loss. But I see UNI and my attention is grabbed.

Being merely hungry is not enough in this league. Too many good teams. We'll see about next week, game indeed on, but after three games in this league I would have thought that you would be getting an idea as to how hard it is to win in the Gateway/MVC.

In short, a bit haughty for my taste. Now tear me apart.

99Bison
10-12-2008, 04:43 AM
I believe the comment was because the boy'z aren't living up anything near potential and they don't appear focused or enthusiastic (ie. hungry).

It's amazing that we are in some of these games given the poor execution... It really looks like the teams we've played so far are trying not to lose and the Bison keep shooting themselves in the foot left and right. If you equal out mistakes between the teams, most games so far wouldn't have been close.

Bisonguy
10-12-2008, 04:44 AM
This team has no fire, no adrenaline running. You need to be fired up to focus properly and have that pop in your step. Don't see it, don't want it enough.

++

The O-Line looked lackadaisical while sitting on the bench in the second half. No fire whatsoever.

Jay
10-12-2008, 04:57 AM
I just pop in every week, as I do on several conference boards, not trying to get off on someone else's loss. But I see UNI and my attention is grabbed.

Being merely hungry is not enough in this league. Too many good teams. We'll see about next week, game indeed on, but after three games in this league I would have thought that you would be getting an idea as to how hard it is to win in the Gateway/MVC.

Not going to tear you apart. If we play like we have been playing for the last 4 weeks, it's going to be ugly for NDSU. I don't see us winning 6 games if we continue to play like this. See you at the UNI-Dome... Section R

onbison09
10-12-2008, 05:00 AM
Lost Nate Safe. We lost some great talent from last year.
A lot of people forget about him. Huge loss.

roadwarrior
10-12-2008, 05:08 AM
Maybe lakes should be in the locker room to get the team fired up before kickoff? :hide:

CaBisonFan
10-12-2008, 06:24 AM

Game on.

Our backs are to the wall...and then some.

This was a total team effort...including the fans.

Frustration is off the chart. I've never seen a Bison team act like this....ever. They are 'down.'

They walked off the field like the world had just ended. Total defeat.

Sad

BigBison
10-12-2008, 06:48 AM
I'd like to comment on Mertens: Theres no way he needed to throw that pass at the end of the game, I dont think its his fault for that as much as it is the coachs for calling that play. We had plenty of time and it was 1st down.

However Meterns NEEDS to know to throw the ball AWAY sometimes, and the coaches should tell him that! Same thing at Youngstown when we had a chance to tie.

Also I think Mertens needs more help from the O-Line, theres to many guys coming around, like most QBs when they have time they complete. I think that happened more when Walker was QB.

Also on D how come every team can just run it to the outside and get 10 yards on us? Something needs to be fixed there.

Now I'm not a great football mind but thats just some things I've been seeing happen alot in these last to games.

Paulie
10-12-2008, 07:09 AM
Expectations aren't always easy to live up to. It's one thing to come in as a fresh D-II move up, not playoff eligible, flying under the radar, no pressure, and pull off some wins, it's another to do that when everyone knows who you are and isn't thinking ahead to next week.

bisonmike2
10-12-2008, 07:13 AM
Rebuilding??? The team is made up of practically all seniors. What the is next year going to be like? If .500 is the new goal for this year, than next year we will be lucky to win a game.

No kidding. This season is long, but next year could be sooo much longer. We could be looking at having a Michigan type year next year.

94 Bison
10-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Actually MANY were questioning Mertens leadership and playing ability going into the season because of his lack of playing time. Hes still making freshman mistakes and he doesnt protect the ball. Among other things. PL

By MANY, I am assuming you mean many fans. Obviously the Coaches still feel Mertens is a leader on this team. I am sure he would have played any snap of the ball in the past year, but for some reason it was important to keep Walker on the field when the Bison had a lead in many games. Didn't any of you non-believing fans wonder why he wasn't getting ANY snaps at the end of those games?

02Bison
10-12-2008, 01:11 PM
Don't forget tackling and DL pressure. I don't see the D line muddying up things at the 1st level or the LB's filling gaps on the second level. It seems that for the opposing team offenses the RB is often to the secondary by the time he is first touched and I certainly don't see many guys wrapping up and finshing tackles. I see guys hitting players thinking that's enough to tackle a guy when its a known fact that it isn't the way to make a sure tackle.

IzzyFlexion
10-12-2008, 02:21 PM

No Bison (player, coach, fan, etc) will argue that the MVAC is a tough league. But don't think for one second that NDSU "doesn't have an idea how hard it is to win in the MVAC". If you want to go down that road, perhaps the Panthers don't have an idea as to how hard it is/was to win in the old NCC. Oh wait, UNI likely does know as not long ago an NCC team (Division 2) team came to your house and won. (no need to mention who). NDSU was 2-0 in this league last year but this year is not the same team. THAT, and only THAT is the problem, not fear of the MIGHTY MVAC!!

BisonNeil
10-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Overconfidence has certainly affected this season.

Ranked NUMBER ONE at the beginning of the year, we have slowly crumbled.

The over-hype of this team and our "National-Championship" have probably affected it. The players believed in their abilities more than their spirit.

We have come to the point this season, where we cannot even defeat a team that lost to Southern Utah and Missouri State. We can't defeat a team in a game where we gained more yards, and were at home.

Playoffs? How grateful we would be....

Gee, I wonder who first muttered that word, overconfidence, on this forum and got reamed, called pessimistic. Hmmm, I wonder....

BisonNeil
10-12-2008, 02:42 PM

Bibeau's issues are simply emblematic of what is woefully wrong with this team and minor in comparison to the inability of the OL to block. No run game, and WIU got a pass rush and pressure many times only using their three down lineman. Pathetic. How many times does Foster have to chop block and keep his starting job? Dropped passes that are sure TDs are worse than a missed extra point. Why is Belquist still starting? Hasn't he dropped more than he has caught? How many times is Mertens going to over throw or underthrow a receiver? Our MLB has 23 total tackles in 4 games, not even 6 tackles a game, only 7 solo. Our MLB for pete's sake! I could go on but you get the picture. Bibeau's woes are minor in comparison to the rest of the problems with this team.

This is a very poorly coached team, in my opinion. The same mistakes made over and over again with no resolution. I know that is sacriledge to say on this forum, but at this point with all of the talent and the mistakes made again and again, what other explanation is there?

56BISON73
10-12-2008, 06:20 PM
By MANY, I am assuming you mean many fans. Obviously the Coaches still feel Mertens is a leader on this team. I am sure he would have played any snap of the ball in the past year, but for some reason it was important to keep Walker on the field when the Bison had a lead in many games. Didn't any of you non-believing fans wonder why he wasn't getting ANY snaps at the end of those games?

The coaches really have no choice at this juncture .
Many people were questioning that last year.
PL

tjbison
10-12-2008, 06:32 PM
No Bison (player, coach, fan, etc) will argue that the MVAC is a tough league. But don't think for one second that NDSU "doesn't have an idea how hard it is to win in the MVAC". If you want to go down that road, perhaps the Panthers don't have an idea as to how hard it is/was to win in the old NCC. Oh wait, UNI likely does know as not long ago an NCC team (Division 2) team came to your house and won. (no need to mention who). NDSU was 2-0 in this league last year but this year is not the same team. THAT, and only THAT is the problem, not fear of the MIGHTY MVAC!!

What is this MVAC you speak of?;)

bisoneer
10-13-2008, 04:03 AM
No one really wants to be a pre season #1 as the opponents really lay in the weeds for you and try extra hard to beat you. Also, this team had an intangible on thier side, thier coach is recovering from cancer and this can give a team a lift too especially if they really like him like they apparently do.

Bottom line, we need to run the ball better, block better, protect better and do special teams better.

lakesbison
10-13-2008, 04:16 AM
MERTENS isnt the reason for this....

Coaches know Mertens talent.. but they are being gun shy with the play calling.. Teams are freakin loading up the BOX with 8-9.... should be plenty of room for HECK and WURZY...

O LINE wont even give mertens time last 2-3 games and our Defense is giving up way too much in the running game..

THATS WHY WE ARE LOSING.. PERIOD..

hell yea. Ill be in Section R.. talking to our players and pumping this #$H@IT up!!!!!!

Trim
10-13-2008, 04:31 AM
If you ask me, scheduling Wyoming was a mistake. Why schedule THAT team? Why not a team at a lesser altitude with less of a strong defense? Like a MAC team?

I think Wyoming was/is a horrible team. They've been pummeled all year long. Their only win, besides us, was a 1-point squeaker at home vs. Ohio. Bowling Green destroyed them at Wyoming. I didn't think the Bison played very good in the first half and we were ahead by 10. Played even worse in the 2nd half and still only lost on a last second field goal. We played, what, 80% of the game without Tyler? Have you seen this offense without Tyler? It's putrid. I felt sick walking away from that game, wondering how we could lose to that team.