PDA

View Full Version : The Torch Has Been Passed

CaBisonFan
10-11-2008, 02:31 PM
On last weekend's broadcast, Phil Hansen and the crew talked about witnessing the evolution of the Bison.

I agree. To me, the second half against SIU (which actually began on the last drive of the first half) was the beginning of a new season...but more importantly...the evolution of this team.

We are in the post-Walker era. The team was looking for its identity. On offense, Steve was the hands-down leader...surrounded and protected by some really great players. The team became accustomed to coming back. They knew they could come back on the shoulders of Walker.

The void became evident at Wyoming and Youngstown.

The coaches changed some things to lessen the pressure on Nick Mertens. He 'cannot' be expected to operate or lead like Walker did. Walker was Houdini in a Helmet. I also think that Nick had it in his head that he was required to be Steve Walker. Thusly, he couldn't relax and play 'his' game.

The evolution took place when Tyler Roehl took over the leadership role with his unbelievable running play for a first down late in the 2nd quarter. We 'had to' have it. He found a way. That 'single' play could possibly be the biggest play of the season. A 'key' that opened the door.

The offense now belongs to Tyler Roehl. It has taken a huge burden off of Mertens.

The rest of the guys on the offense recognize it, and have accepted it. They look to Tyler. And it appears that Pat Paschall is more than capable of doing some of what Tyler does.

This is a new team. It's not the team that we saw at Wyoming or Youngstown.

On the defensive side, I think that the Bison learned about intensity & wrapping up.

Urgency has arrived. I fully expect to see 'football' in the first quarter. This Bison team needs to intimidate from the beginning, and never let up. Houdini is not around.

They have evolved and learned. I think that the lessons of Wyoming and Youngstown stung badly, and that this extremely talented team of great competitors has discovered their new identity.

Look for the Bison to come out swinging early in the game.

Intimidation is the new game.

Thank you Tyler...our new leader. The torch has been passed.

BisoninNWMN
10-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Give Roehl the ball 25+ times today.....our O-line has a big weight advantage. If Roehl gets going early the play-action pass will work all day.

Defense should be alright with this type of offense......but we need to get pressure on the qb. Our d-line has underperformed all year.....hopefully they break-out today.

Everyone stand and cheer loud today for the whole game.....My voice will be gone by the end of the 1st:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Bison by 2 tds..............or more!!!

Chosen1s
10-11-2008, 02:44 PM
I sincerely hope you are right Ca!

4mcruenomore
10-11-2008, 11:17 PM
You still need a QB to command the O.

MinotBison
10-11-2008, 11:32 PM
You still need a QB to command the O.

Roehl can't do it by himself.

Bison101
10-11-2008, 11:36 PM
Roehl may have been a leader for a game, but a playoffesque team needs to be made up of leaders and only leaders. We need to be like, not last year's team, but the year before. That was the greatest team of leaders I have ever seen. Frick, Dahl, Steffes, Mays, Walker, Richardson, Bowman, Humber, Safe, Drago, etc.........

This year: Tyler Roehl and half of Kole Heckendorf.

Jay
10-12-2008, 12:10 AM
The torch has been put out.

A1pigskin
10-12-2008, 12:26 AM
I do not see any team leaders this year.

4mcruenomore
10-12-2008, 02:03 AM
The torch has been passed? Have you ever seen Simdorn play in person, or put in the DVD of the '90 championship game. Now that's leadership at QB, win the Mother F*cker.

BisoninNWMN
10-12-2008, 02:31 AM
Roehl is our leader but he needs a O-line to open holes and they are not getting it done.

3 d-lineman rushing and they get to Mertens:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

This team needs to take a hard look at themselves in the mirror.

Penalties, turnovers, coming out flat once again to start the game, Mertens making poor decisions

UNI is going to be tuff.......we could get blown-out!!!!

MinotBison
10-12-2008, 03:11 AM
The torch has been passed? Have you ever seen Simdorn play in person, or put in the DVD of the '90 championship game. Now that's leadership at QB, win the Mother F*cker.

Speaking of former QB's, Kevin Feeney was one of the commentators on the TV broadcast today. That guy needs to be on the Bison coaching staff. He always seemed to have good insights as to what was happening and why it was happening.

Mr. Burgundy
10-12-2008, 03:13 AM
Coaching staff...no fire.
Bohl...too much of a CEO. I want him to light some people up. Like he did with Lard last weekend.
Team...no leaders.
Where is the guy who wants to punch you in the face if you fail???
I want some fire. Some urgency. NOTHING. If you watch the staff, we play to barely win. How about coming out in the 1st quarter and killing them?
How about having a kicker who can make a kick. How about a WR who can catch the ball in the first quarter and TAKE MOMENTUM??? BRUTAL. SORRY if those are your kids and you are reading this. They are getting FREE school, it is time to act like it. Time to play the younger kids. The Seniors are not acting like they want it bad enough. QB had NO time. RB had NO holes. TE...wait....we have a TE???? It is hard to watch the lack of fire on this team. I would pay anything for Justin Frick, Joe May, etc to walk through the door and lead by example.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-12-2008, 03:13 AM
Speaking of former QB's, Kevin Feeney was one of the commentators on the TV broadcast today. That guy needs to be on the Bison coaching staff. He always seemed to have good insights as to what was happening and why it was happening.

Someone who can light a fire under the players asses needs to be on the coaching staff. Apparently, no one the sidlines has a BIC in their pocket.

99Bison
10-12-2008, 03:18 AM
Bohl...too much of a CEO. I want him to light some people up. Like he did with Lard last weekend.
Team...no leaders.
I want some fire. Some urgency. NOTHING. If you watch the staff, we play to barely win. How about coming out in the 1st quarter and killing them?
How about having a kicker who can make a kick. How about a WR who can catch the ball in the first quarter and TAKE MOMENTUM??? BRUTAL. SORRY if those are your kids and you are reading this. They are getting FREE school, it is time to act like it. Time to play the younger kids. The Seniors are not acting like they want it bad enough. QB had NO time. RB had NO holes. TE...wait....we have a TE???? It is hard to watch the lack of fire on this team. I would pay anything for Justin Frick, Joe May, etc to walk through the door and lead by example.

Yep... don't know what else to say.

NDSUstudent
10-12-2008, 03:21 AM
Time to put the torch right in Mertens hands. We can't win with just our running game. The coaches need to open up the playbook and let Mertens sink or swim next week. Time to see what he has.

99Bison
10-12-2008, 03:22 AM
Time to put the torch right in Mertens hands. We can't win with just our running game. The coaches need to open up the playbook and let Mertens sink or swim next week. Time to see what he has.

Agreed....

56BISON73
10-12-2008, 03:23 AM

How many times do you need him to sink???? The problem is we really dont have a proven backup either. PL

NDSUstudent
10-12-2008, 03:28 AM
How many times do you need him to sink???? The problem is we really dont have a proven backup either. PL

The coaches have favored our running game all year, time to let Mertens come out of the gate firing. I'm tired of waiting until we have to chase, I would just like for us to be aggressive just once.

I don't think the coaching staff has ever given him the torch, the only time they make him the guy is when we have to chase points. They seem to wait too long in thinking our running game is going to start dominating teams.

56BISON73
10-12-2008, 03:30 AM
The coaches have favored our running game all year, time to let Mertens come out of the gate firing. I'm tired of waiting until we have to chase, I would just like for us to be aggressive just once.

The reason they havent turned him loose is because he has shown he doesnt protect the ball as in fumbles and he doesnt make good decisions when throwing the ball.
Thats one of the reasons teams have been selling out on the run to try and force the pass. Then when we actually have to pass they rush 3 guys and he still throws up a gopher ball. PL

99Bison
10-12-2008, 03:34 AM
The reason they havent turned him loose is because he has shown he doesnt protect the ball as in fumbles and he doesnt make good decisions when throwing the ball.
Thats one of the reasons teams have been selling out on the run to try and force the pass. Then when we actually have to pass they rush 3 guys and he still throws up a gopher ball. PL

Did you see this game?

56BISON73
10-12-2008, 03:35 AM
Did you see this game?

Webcast
PL

NDSUstudent
10-12-2008, 03:35 AM
The reason they havent turned him loose is because he has shown he doesnt protect the ball as in fumbles and he doesnt make good decisions when throwing the ball. PL

He doesn't make good decisions? He had one bad decision all game today. It is time to turn him loose, what in the hell do we have to lose?

He is way too worried about screwing up right now, put some trust in him and let him do some things. I rarely disagree with Bohl but with the game plan they had today, Mertens never had a chance to get going.

99Bison
10-12-2008, 03:37 AM
Comments didn't seem to apply to today's game at all. Agreeing with NDSUStudent here...

56BISON73
10-12-2008, 03:39 AM
He doesn't make good decisions? He had one bad decision all game today. It is time to turn him loose, what in the hell do we have to lose?

He is way too worried about screwing up right now, put some trust in him and let him do some things. I rarely disagree with Bohl but with the game plan they had today, Mertens never had a chance to get going.

Now why would that be?????
PL

The bad decision comment also came from Bohl. He just worded it differently. I think he said --questionable--LOL

99Bison
10-12-2008, 03:40 AM
PL

Could be overcoached. Let him play the game.

NDSUstudent
10-12-2008, 03:44 AM
PL

His early struggles didn't help, but the coaches running with the conservative offense is not helping either. The kid can make plays(especially down the field), and if I am Bohl I tell him just that and bring out a game plan that is relies more on him being aggressive. Give the guy a chance to think he is more then just a game manger, with his arm and legs he should be allowed to be more of the offense.

56BISON73
10-12-2008, 03:45 AM
Comments didn't seem to apply to today's game at all. Agreeing with NDSUStudent here...

Its is a compliation of all the games. He did fumble once today also didnt he?? But in another crucial situation today what did he do??? He threw an int. That type of play doesnt instill confidence when it gets down to crunch time. PL

NDSUstudent
10-12-2008, 03:50 AM
Its is a compliation of all the games. He did fumble once today also didnt he?? But in another crucial situation today what did he do??? He threw an int. That type of play doesnt instill confidence when it gets down to crunch time. PL

Sure he did, but I don't think the coaches have given him any confidence in being the guy. Its like they are telling him to just manage the game and then when we have to chase points they make him be the guy. To many mind games, just let him do his thing from the start of the game.

99Bison
10-12-2008, 03:53 AM

Don't think anyone disagree's with that.... However this doesn't make sense:
"Then when we actually have to pass they rush 3 guys and he still throws up a gopher ball. PL"

It's sad that they rush 3 guys, we have 6 blockers and the defender comes in almost untouched to nail him. O-line was absolutely terrible today pass blocking.

56BISON73
10-12-2008, 03:58 AM
Don't think anyone disagrees with that.... However this doesn't make sense:
"Then when we actually have to pass they rush 3 guys and he still throws up a gopher ball. PL"

It's sad that they rush 3 guys, we have 6 blockers and the defender comes in almost untouched to nail him. O-line was absolutely terrible today pass blocking.

I agree that was equally horrendous. I really couldnt believe what I was seeing. PL

ndsubison1
10-12-2008, 04:01 AM
Sure he did, but I don't think the coaches have given him any confidence in being the guy. Its like they are telling him to just manage the game and then when we have to chase points they make him be the guy. To many mind games, just let him do his thing from the start of the game.

i agree completely, just look at the earlier games this season, granted they were against inferior opponents, but mertens was in a groove those two games... he was on. your last statement sums this up pretty well.

99Bison
10-12-2008, 04:12 AM
BTW:

"What happened on the thrown interception on the last play?

Nick Mertens - They got some good pressure, and it was tipped coming out of my hand. I didn’t get much on it, and unfortunately the guy turned around and it was right there."

MinotBison
10-12-2008, 04:24 AM

Where has the QB recruiting been the last few years? And where is it at this year?

99Bison
10-12-2008, 04:25 AM
Where has the QB recruiting been the last few years? And where is it at this year?

oh no, q the neil... :hide:

NDSUFan_Sav
10-12-2008, 04:31 AM
Well after some thought this is what I came up with.

I noticed today that our OL struggled really bad and Mertens tries running out of the pocket because he doesn't trust that OL and him being nervous and not trusting the OL doesn't make him play to his potential cuz he's worried bout fumbling and causes bad passes. Even the ball to Heck for 35+ yards he had to make a play on the ball or else it would of been incomplete. I am not liking how Mertens forces a lot of passes

Also the ball to schultenover that was a deep ball when he got by the DB ended up being over thrown could of been a huge play if it was placed in the right place.

So, I personally feel our OL needs to turn things around especially for blocking for our RBs and our QB

99Bison
10-12-2008, 04:37 AM
Well after some thought this is what I came up with.

I noticed today that our OL struggled really bad and Mertens tries running out of the pocket because he doesn't trust that OL and him being nervous and not trusting the OL doesn't make him play to his potential cuz he's worried bout fumbling and causes bad passes. Even the ball to Heck for 35+ yards he had to make a play on the ball or else it would of been incomplete. I am not liking how Mertens forces a lot of passes

Also the ball to schultenover that was a deep ball when he got by the DB ended up being over thrown could of been a huge play if it was placed in the right place.

So, I personally feel our OL needs to turn things around especially for blocking for our RBs and our QB

"Even the ball to Heck for 35+ yards he had to make a play on the ball or else it would of been incomplete."
>> Just saw the reply, it was actually in stride, but Heck stutter stepped right before he got there. :(

"Also the ball to schultenover that was a deep ball when he got by the DB ended up being over thrown could of been a huge play if it was placed in the right place."
>> You mean the one where the receiver got bumped after the ball was thrown?

The oline pass blocking though, yeah terrible.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-12-2008, 04:40 AM
"Even the ball to Heck for 35+ yards he had to make a play on the ball or else it would of been incomplete."
>> Just saw the reply, it was actually in stride, but Heck stutter stepped right before he got there. :(

"Also the ball to schultenover that was a deep ball when he got by the DB ended up being over thrown could of been a huge play if it was placed in the right place."
>> You mean the one where the receiver got bumped after the ball was thrown?

The oline pass blocking though, yeah terrible.

yeah you were def. right on the bumping he had to fight hard to get around the DB, but sorry didn't see Heck do that.

99Bison
10-12-2008, 04:44 AM
yeah you were def. right on the bumping he had to fight hard to get around the DB, but sorry didn't see Heck do that.

I didn't either originally, but saw it on tv news. However, since he was so wide open Mertens could have lofted it a bit more to have a better chance to run under it.

56BISON73
10-12-2008, 04:47 AM
i agree completely, just look at the earlier games this season, granted they were against inferior opponents, but mertens was in a groove those two games... he was on. your last statement sums this up pretty well.

Thats the point he got in a groove because they were inferior. He cant now becuase these teams are better. The are stacking against the run to force him into a passing situation. WHY becuae they see him as a weakness.
There is very little margin for error in this league and at this level. Execution is key.. Small mistakes will hurt and big mistakes will kill you. Those mistakes are compounded when you arent playing well. PL

roadwarrior
10-12-2008, 05:12 AM
Who was the leading rusher for the Bison? Voigtlander. How many carries did he get in the game? 1

CaBisonFan
10-12-2008, 05:41 AM
The torch has been put out.

After what I saw today...I'm not going to argue. The torch needs fuel. Something is missing. There was no fire on the field or on the sidelines. And from where I was sitting, the crowd wasn't really that into the game.

It was a frustrating afternoon in many aspects.

Their running back was outstanding.

CaBisonFan
10-12-2008, 05:44 AM

I watched Simdorn & Bentrim play in-person many times. They controlled the game. And yes, I have a copy of that game.

I was wrong. There's something missing from this formula...but it's not just Nick Mertens. Couldn't really say for sure what's going on. They lack 'fire.'

CaBisonFan
10-12-2008, 05:45 AM
Roehl is our leader but he needs a O-line to open holes and they are not getting it done.

3 d-lineman rushing and they get to Mertens:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

This team needs to take a hard look at themselves in the mirror.

Penalties, turnovers, coming out flat once again to start the game, Mertens making poor decisions

UNI is going to be tuff.......we could get blown-out!!!!

I'll add dropped passes at critical moments. Not arguing...just adding.

56BISON73
10-12-2008, 05:50 AM
I watched Simdorn & Bentrim play in-person many times. They controlled the game. And yes, I have a copy of that game.

I was wrong. There's something missing from this formula...but it's not just Nick Mertens. Couldn't really say for sure what's going on. They lack 'fire.'

The difference is those two were leaders and the team could count on them. PL

CaBisonFan
10-12-2008, 05:59 AM
Team...no leaders.

Mr. Positive here...I can't argue with anything that you've written. It's almost a carbon copy of my analysis of what I saw today. I sat at the 50 in the VIP section. I've never been so frustrated, or bored, with a group of so-called fans in my entire life. One could say that the team has turned them off, but that's not what I felt.

You can tell that some of the players that we're familiar with are frustrated beyond their wildest dreams. They look shell-shocked.

Let me add Nate Safe & Majerus to the list.

I'd put Lardinois is the leader category. He was visibly beside himself. Tried to the get crowd into it. The crowd was bothering him. Can't say that I blame him. It's a total team effort.

CaBisonFan
10-12-2008, 06:05 AM

What other option is there? I agree

WIU was in our playbook.

The rollout pass wasn't working because their contain men were shooting the gap to spoil it. Others were taking containment assignments.

This one can't be pinned entirely on Mertens.

I'm with you.

56BISON73
10-12-2008, 06:08 AM
Mr. Positive here...I can't argue with anything that you've written. It's almost a carbon copy of my analysis of what I saw today. I sat at the 50 in the VIP section. I've never been so frustrated, or bored, with a group of so-called fans in my entire life. One could say that the team has turned them off, but that's not what I felt.

You can tell that some of the players that we're familiar with are frustrated beyond their wildest dreams. They look shell-shocked.

Let me add Nate Safe & Majerus to the list.

I'd put Lardinois is the leader category. He was visibly beside himself. Tried to the get crowd into it. The crowd was bothering him. Can't say that I blame him. It's a total team effort.

He should have been more worried about the game than what the crowd was doing. PL

CaBisonFan
10-12-2008, 06:10 AM

This loss isn't on Mertens. There are a lot of questions to be answered.

The coaches either have to trust him, or replace him.

This was my first game this year....live, that is. I 'could not' believe the lack of 'fire' in the crowd. It's all over the dome. Something is most definitely missing.

Frustration runs deep from the players, to the coaches, to the fans.

I agree with what you wrote.

CaBisonFan
10-12-2008, 06:15 AM
Who was the leading rusher for the Bison? Voigtlander. How many carries did he get in the game? 1

Voigt looked fantastic. He's a gamer. Needs to play more.

CaBisonFan
10-12-2008, 06:17 AM
The difference is those two were leaders and the team could count on them. PL

I agree with that. They were special. But they were also playing in a system that was working on all 8 cylinders. Taking nothing away from them though. They made it all work.

bisonmike2
10-12-2008, 06:20 AM

he has a point. We have Mertens, then we have a guy who just transfered to the team and a true freshman. QB needs to be a priority and this year is all the proof you need to show just how important that position is.

BisonNeil
10-12-2008, 04:11 PM

hahahahahahahaha, nice. Thanks for the laugh, but I am going to disappoint you all. But, I needed a chuckle today...

ndsubison1
10-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Thats the point he got in a groove because they were inferior. He cant now becuase these teams are better. The are stacking against the run to force him into a passing situation. WHY becuae they see him as a weakness.
There is very little margin for error in this league and at this level. Execution is key.. Small mistakes will hurt and big mistakes will kill you. Those mistakes are compounded when you arent playing well. PL

that's part of it, but they cut him loose those games. But like NDSUStudent said, the coaches have been doing a conservative approach and it hasn't let Mertens been able to do his thing the past few games, esp. yesterday

MAKBison
10-12-2008, 06:18 PM
He should have been more worried about the game than what the crowd was doing. PL

PL you can say that, but it does not change the fact that fans can affect emotions, teams and the like. Why is it that our team (while on the field mind you) has to beg the crowed to cheer….obviously it does something for them. Now you can disagree and say it is not or should not be a factor, players are not affected “intimated” by what the crowed does or the colors that it wears etc….but the team is consistently asking for the fan to make noise. I assume they do it for a reason....that is a reason other than showmanship.

ndsubison1
10-12-2008, 06:21 PM
the crowd yesterday was pathetic and I am embarassed that the players had to try so hard to get us to cheer more

MAKBison
10-12-2008, 06:25 PM
that's part of it, but they cut him loose those games. But like NDSUStudent said, the coaches have been doing a conservative approach and it hasn't let Mertens been able to do his thing the past few games, esp. yesterday

Maybe it is because the coaches do not have confidence in Mertons? I don’t know, but it has to be considered.

56BISON73
10-12-2008, 06:32 PM
the crowd yesterday was pathetic and I am embarassed that the players had to try so hard to get us to cheer more

There job is to play the game not be a cheerleader. Do you not see a problem here??? And it has nothing to do with the fans. PL

MAKBison
10-12-2008, 06:39 PM
There job is to play the game not be a cheerleader. Do you not see a problem here??? And it has nothing to do with the fans. PL

PL it is what it is.....if they think it helps, then the reality is that they think it helps them. Right or wrong, weather or not it is their job, it does not matter.

ndsubison1
10-12-2008, 06:40 PM

that's my whole point! THe players should not be doing that! It's sad that it had to come to that, for them to try and get most of us to cheer... I'm sorry but the crowd was dead, if you were out on the field do you want a silent stadium? Something had to be done

Ferd
10-12-2008, 06:41 PM
PL you can say that, but it does not change the fact that fans can affect emotions, teams and the like. Why is it that our team (while on the field mind you) has to beg the crowed to cheer….obviously it does something for them. Now you can disagree and say it is not or should not be a factor, players are not affected “intimated” by what the crowed does or the colors that it wears etc….but the team is consistently asking for the fan to make noise. I assume they do it for a reason....that is a reason other than showmanship.

The crowd isn't "in it" because the team isn't performing like it should. The players should be focusing on their assignments and what they are doing in the game and not on whether anyone is cheering.

A good team should be able to play well even when the crowd is against them.

I've never liked seeing the players trying to get the crowd to yell. They should concentrate on their game. The crowd will get into it when they watch good plays.

As Bud Grant used to say: "Act like you've been there before."

On another note, I don't know whose "lack of confidence" is affecting whom. The players or the fans?

56BISON73
10-12-2008, 06:43 PM
that's my whole point! THe players should not be doing that! It's sad that it had to come to that, for them to try and get most of us to cheer... I'm sorry but the crowd was dead, if you were out on the field do you want a silent stadium? Something had to be done

You STILL dont get it. PL

56BISON73
10-12-2008, 06:46 PM
PL it is what it is.....if they think it helps, then the reality is that they think it helps them. Right or wrong, weather or not it is their job, it does not matter.

But it DOES matter as they arent taking care of THEIR business. PL

ndsubison1
10-12-2008, 06:48 PM
You STILL dont get it. PL

no you don't seem to get it... the fans should be cheering, no matter if we're behind or not... i can see if we were being blowout like 50-7 or something but that definitely wasn't the case... we were down 5... we were one play away from taking the lead, our team was on defense and it's dead quiet? We still had a chance to win... What more do I need to say?

Jay
10-12-2008, 06:56 PM

Why do you think it's been conservative? They have no faith in him. Any time the coaches have somewhat opened the playbook or entrusted him, he has failed. And don't bring in the first two games of the season... those two teams were cupcakes.

56BISON73
10-12-2008, 06:56 PM
no you don't seem to get it... the fans should be cheering, no matter if we're behind or not... i can see if we were being blowout like 50-7 or something but that definitely wasn't the case... we were down 5... we were one play away from taking the lead, our team was on defense and it's dead quiet? We still had a chance to win... What more do I need to say?

Again YOU still dont get it. If thats the case shouldnt the players be more focused at the tasks at hand instead of worrying about the fans cheering???
Think about it--- hey we got a chance to win---what formation are they in---The coaches have called for us to be in this defense---what is my key read in that formation---its number??? oh there he is--- HEY what the hell is crowd doing????
PL

Jay
10-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Again YOU still dont get it. If thats the case shouldnt the players be more focused at the tasks at hand instead of worrying about the fans cheering???
Think about it--- hey we got a chance to win---what formation are they in---The coaches have called for us to be in this defense---what is my key read in that formation---its number??? oh there he is--- HEY what the hell is crowd doing????
PL

No matter what you say PL, they just won't understand. It's hopeless.

d3boys
10-12-2008, 07:03 PM
It has gotten so bad pl that I was at a high school football game and at halftime the 5th and 6th graders were playing and guess what

they were trying to get the crowd going waving their arms

ridiculous and embarassing

MAKBison
10-12-2008, 07:06 PM
But it DOES matter as they arent taking care of THEIR business. PL

I understand that point.....but for whatever reason it was having affect...according to those who say they could visible see it on the players face. Now if that is correct and from a spontaneity point of view all that really matters is what the player’s current perceptions are. The game is played in the present, not in the future, not in the past....until the players according to your definition are “taking care of their business” the crowds reaction matters. Right or wrong that is reality.

NDSUstudent
10-12-2008, 07:09 PM
Why do you think it's been conservative? They have no faith in him. Any time the coaches have somewhat opened the playbook or entrusted him, he has failed. And don't bring in the first two games of the season... those two teams were cupcakes.

He didn't fail yesterday, he didn't fail against SIU. Time to cut him loose and let him do some things earlier. You can't live in the past, the coaches have got to show some confidence in him and let him be more then just a game manager.

56BISON73
10-12-2008, 07:11 PM
I understand that point.....but for whatever reason it was having affect...according to those who say they could visible see it on the players face. Now if that is correct and from a spontaneity point of view all that really matters is what the player’s current perceptions are. The game is played in the present, not in the future, not in the past....until the players according to your definition are “taking care of their business” the crowds reaction matters. Right or wrong that is reality.

Then this team has HUGE problems. PL

MAKBison
10-12-2008, 07:13 PM

You are missing the point and causing disagreement on different shades of the same issue...it is really not needed!No one is disagreeing with what should or should not be! I think most would agree with your summation of the player and where their heads should be. However, there is a huge difference of what should be and what is. The question is what to do about it…..As a coach, I think you do one thing, as a fan I think you do another.

MAKBison
10-12-2008, 07:20 PM
Then this team has HUGE problems. PL

It just might! I and I think it does, I think it is immature and undisciplined! WHY…I see unnecessary late hits, unnecessary holding calls, a QB who cant look off a defense, WR you don’t run crisp routes, defensive ends that rush up field and LB that over pursue AND NO ONE KNOWS HOW TO TACKLE.

I think we have a ton of talent….but mentally I am not convinced!

56BISON73
10-12-2008, 07:23 PM
It just might! I and I think it does, I think it is immature and undisciplined! WHY…I see unnecessary late hits, unnecessary holding calls, a QB who cant look off a defense, WR you don’t run crisp routes, defensive ends that rush up field and LB that over pursue AND NO ONE KNOWS HOW TO TACKLE.

I think we have a ton of talent….but mentally I am not convinced!

Well done!!! PL

MAKBison
10-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Well done!!! PL

What we agree:) :) LOL

56BISON73
10-12-2008, 07:30 PM
What we agree:) :) LOL

Hard to believe isn't it.:D :D
PL

MAKBison
10-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Well done!!! PL

What really surprises me is that the coach let this happen! I am huge CB fan, but what the hell! The only thing I can come up with is that coach thought there were players who would fill the leadership voids left by JM and SW and it did not happen. As such the coach was put in the predicament of taking talent off the field verses hoping they would get it. I don’t know… maybe everyone including the coaches bought into the hype that our talent was so superior and as a result forgot about the fundamentals. For sure disappointing, even more disappointing is we beat ourselves!

Mr. Burgundy
10-12-2008, 07:34 PM
I have no problem with Joe Lardanois firing up the crowd. Each player is different. He is a guy who wants to be the fire up guy, others aren't. To each their own.

Also, what if Belquist catches the long pass to start the game, instead of us being forced to punt...who is to say that wouldn't have given Mertens the edge he needed to start the game and play well? It was a horrible drop that affected the entire game. Several problems but I have a hard time being critical of a guy asking for some crowd noise.

Maybe PL didn't need to waive the arms, he isn't the ONLY person with a voice.

SlickVic
10-12-2008, 08:00 PM
heres my analogy...its kind of like the players are throwing a party for 19,000 people and for 3 weeks every seat in the house has been spoken for everybodys RSVPd ect ect...this party is the talk of the town and every player is just jacked...then they party starts and you realize 3,000 of the rsvps didnt show up (reg fans) along with 2,000 of your best friends (student section)...to make matters worse more then half of the people attending your party arn't participating/drinking whatever (cheering)...and then to top it all off 12,000 of the 14,000 decide to leave right after you offer last call for alcohol...how would u feel? call me crasy but i think the lack of heart and desire coming out of the gates has a lot to do with the fans...like ive typed 3-4 times already realistically if i would have wanted to i could have took a 3 hour nap in the dome yesterday and thats the truth

MAKBison
10-12-2008, 08:11 PM
heres my analogy...its kind of like the players are throwing a party for 19,000 people and for 3 weeks every seat in the house has been spoken for everybodys RSVPd ect ect...this party is the talk of the town and every player is just jacked...then they party starts and you realize 3,000 of the rsvps didnt show up (reg fans) along with 2,000 of your best friends (student section)...to make matters worse more then half of the people attending your party arn't participating/drinking whatever (cheering)...and then to top it all off 12,000 of the 14,000 decide to leave right after you offer last call for alcohol...how would u feel? call me crasy but i think the lack of heart and desire coming out of the gates has a lot to do with the fans...like ive typed 3-4 times already realistically if i would have wanted to i could have took a 3 hour nap in the dome yesterday and thats the truth

The Kid in front of me was playing her game boy

ndsubison1
10-12-2008, 08:39 PM
You are missing the point and causing disagreement on different shades of the same issue...it is really not needed!No one is disagreeing with what should or should not be! I think most would agree with your summation of the player and where their heads should be. However, there is a huge difference of what should be and what is. The question is what to do about it…..As a coach, I think you do one thing, as a fan I think you do another.

thank you for this post

ndsubison1
10-12-2008, 08:43 PM
PL

im sorry, but it's impossible to argue with you, and i have to admit but you're wrong here... i don't mean to get in a big argument over this but our fans should be blamed too... what does it take to get the fans in the game?

ndsubison1
10-12-2008, 08:44 PM

i'm sorry but, what else needs to be said? The fans were terrible yesterday... something needs to be done

56BISON73
10-12-2008, 08:45 PM
im sorry, but it's impossible to argue with you, and i have to admit but you're wrong here... i don't mean to get in a big argument over this our fans should be blamed too... what does it take to get the fans in the game?

Oh my god
Blaming the fans now for a loss. Astounding.
PL

ndsubison1
10-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Oh my god
Blaming the fans now for a loss. Astounding.
PL

not blaming them for the loss... im just disappointed by the atmosphere yesterday... obviously it's the players that play the game, but you can't tell me the fans don't have some impact on the game... what's the point of home field advantage then? We didn't have any yesterday.

roadwarrior
10-12-2008, 09:09 PM
Well here is how the game started: the defense stuffs WIU on three downs and finally we get to start with the offense in good field position without being down by a score. Then....2 offside penalties....how much enthusiasm did that take out of the crowd? Same old crap - different day.

Besides, I thought the crowd was pretty loud yesterday. A far cry from 3 years ago.

BlueBisonRock
10-12-2008, 09:25 PM
I have no problem with Joe Lardanois firing up the crowd. Each player is different. He is a guy who wants to be the fire up guy, others aren't. To each their own.

Also, what if Belquist catches the long pass to start the game, instead of us being forced to punt...who is to say that wouldn't have given Mertens the edge he needed to start the game and play well? It was a horrible drop that affected the entire game. Several problems but I have a hard time being critical of a guy asking for some crowd noise.

Maybe PL didn't need to waive the arms, he isn't the ONLY person with a voice.

I agree. The drop was deflating. However, the two offsides penalties before a play was run told the story more effectively. Focus and intensity were missing from the beginning. The 'O' play after the first offensive series was adequate, but not inspiring. Adequate does not win games. Hunger and a 'go for the throat attitude' was missing.

A1pigskin
10-13-2008, 01:36 AM
When will it be lit again?

BisonBrewer
10-13-2008, 01:58 AM
Good thread

Over the past five years NDSU has stepped up to a higher level both academically and athletically. Many of our homegrown turf defending Fargodome fans will not attain this level. These people DO NOT understand what the excitement of LIVE college sports is all about!

Put them all on a big bus and send them to a Wolverine, Badger AND Buckeye game. If they come home from that trip and sit on their hands during a home Bison game, they simply should give away or sell their tickets.

Most of these fans are in the Dome to watch the game as if it were on TV. The couch is nothing like a stadium seat!

On the other hand, the TRUE fans hit the road to support the Herd.

Is it time to head down to UNI yet?

bisoneer
10-13-2008, 03:51 AM
Dont blame the fans for being too quiet, the blocked punt shut up the whole house, thats was a back breaker and we never recovered. Need to change the punt formation back to the old standard, one up man (the guy you could snap it to on a fake, hint).

lakesbison
10-13-2008, 04:22 AM
OPEN THE FREAKIN PLAYBOOK FOR MERTENS..

TIME FOR US TO DESTROY THE SECONDARY"S!!!!

THEY ARE PUTTING 8-9 in the box.. HEck on 1-1 should get open on a post everytime.. he is faster than CB"s.

HOW bout a ROEHL Screens??? do 2 or so a drive!!!

YES>. the REAL FANS FOR NDSU GO ON THE ROAD... THE REST ARE A JOKE..

15,000 ndsu fans that think its CHURCH or a OPERA at a Bison game... Stand up and cheer.. my god.... this isn't Div 3!

aces1180
10-13-2008, 01:37 PM
OPEN THE FREAKIN PLAYBOOK FOR MERTENS..

TIME FOR US TO DESTROY THE SECONDARY"S!!!!

THEY ARE PUTTING 8-9 in the box.. HEck on 1-1 should get open on a post everytime.. he is faster than CB"s.

HOW bout a ROEHL Screens??? do 2 or so a drive!!!

YES>. the REAL FANS FOR NDSU GO ON THE ROAD... THE REST ARE A JOKE..

15,000 ndsu fans that think its CHURCH or a OPERA at a Bison game... Stand up and cheer.. my god.... this isn't Div 3!

Some people can't afford it or their jobs can't allow them to go on the road with the Bison football team. So basically, your comment is wrong. I'm not going to define a "real fan" because I have no right to do so...Everyone cheers for NDSU in different ways...All that matters is that they are Bison fans.

Former Hitman
10-13-2008, 01:49 PM
I refer to my post on thread " bison don't want it"

magiccitybisonguy
10-13-2008, 03:26 PM
OK, sorry for chiming in late in the thread. Haven't posted much on this site, but have been lurking for a while. I listen to the radio broadcast when they aren't on TV and have tickets to come down for the Indiana St. game (excited to be at the game, not so excited to see a team that has scored 40 and given up 200+ on the season). I've seen the last 2 games on TV and here's my take, for what it's worth:

1. The Bison are a good team. Not a great team. They aren't as fast as they need to be, they aren't as big as other teams and they don't make 'big' plays like they have in the past (either on offense or defense) because of their speed and size limitations.

2. The thrill of the DII school coming in and making a splash in FCS is done. Now, we're just another FCS team clawing and scratching to hang within the likely premiere FCS conference.

3. With the new reality of FCS, the thrill and excitement in the Dome is different than it used to be. The feeling of being the big dogs of DII/ Bison Pride/etc with the great facility used to be enough to get everyone up and excited for the games. Then, it was really exciting to be competing in the FCS division and that got the fans fired up. Now, the reality of being in a big time conference with all tough games and finishing 9-3 or 8-4 isn't quite enough to fire the crowd up like it should. Bison fans expect more. Our past tells us to expect more.

All I know is this. Most years, most teams end up disappointed with how the season goes. I think as Bison fans, we've been fortunate for the history and recent success. Now, the present is this: it's different now, ladies and gents. We've got 5-6 tough games (or more) per year, with teams that will match up with the Bison way better than Southern/Northern Utah or whoever. Illinois, Ohio, states known for big-boy football now will be banging with the Bison for the foreseeable future. In the long run, it'll be sweeter when the Bison start winning conference titles, etc. They can compete their first year. That's great for most schools, might not be enough for NDSU and the fans who have come to expect more.

I think many Bison fans (me included) thought it'd be easier. Obviously, it's not going to be. Oh, that, and Steve Walker was better than we thought and we all thought he was great.

Go Bison. Great fans. I'm excited to bring my family down and for my 3 boys to see a game in the Dome. They're really excited as this will be their first time to see NDSU and the FargoDome. They're sick of me teling them about the good old days when I was going to games at Dacotah Field watching Chris Simdorn and gang.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-13-2008, 04:20 PM
OK, sorry for chiming in late in the thread. Haven't posted much on this site, but have been lurking for a while. I listen to the radio broadcast when they aren't on TV and have tickets to come down for the Indiana St. game (excited to be at the game, not so excited to see a team that has scored 40 and given up 200+ on the season). I've seen the last 2 games on TV and here's my take, for what it's worth:

1. The Bison are a good team. Not a great team. They aren't as fast as they need to be, they aren't as big as other teams and they don't make 'big' plays like they have in the past (either on offense or defense) because of their speed and size limitations.

2. The thrill of the DII school coming in and making a splash in FCS is done. Now, we're just another FCS team clawing and scratching to hang within the likely premiere FCS conference.

3. With the new reality of FCS, the thrill and excitement in the Dome is different than it used to be. The feeling of being the big dogs of DII/ Bison Pride/etc with the great facility used to be enough to get everyone up and excited for the games. Then, it was really exciting to be competing in the FCS division and that got the fans fired up. Now, the reality of being in a big time conference with all tough games and finishing 9-3 or 8-4 isn't quite enough to fire the crowd up like it should. Bison fans expect more. Our past tells us to expect more.

All I know is this. Most years, most teams end up disappointed with how the season goes. I think as Bison fans, we've been fortunate for the history and recent success. Now, the present is this: it's different now, ladies and gents. We've got 5-6 tough games (or more) per year, with teams that will match up with the Bison way better than Southern/Northern Utah or whoever. Illinois, Ohio, states known for big-boy football now will be banging with the Bison for the foreseeable future. In the long run, it'll be sweeter when the Bison start winning conference titles, etc. They can compete their first year. That's great for most schools, might not be enough for NDSU and the fans who have come to expect more.

I think many Bison fans (me included) thought it'd be easier. Obviously, it's not going to be. Oh, that, and Steve Walker was better than we thought and we all thought he was great.

Go Bison. Great fans. I'm excited to bring my family down and for my 3 boys to see a game in the Dome. They're really excited as this will be their first time to see NDSU and the FargoDome. They're sick of me teling them about the good old days when I was going to games at Dacotah Field watching Chris Simdorn and gang.

Great post and welcome to the site....

Also, do you plan on tailgating for the Indiana State game???

99Bison
10-13-2008, 04:40 PM
... They aren't as fast as they need to be, they aren't as big as other teams and they don't make 'big' plays like they have in the past (either on offense or defense) because of their speed and size limitations...

Welcome and good post. Agreee with it other than the part above... This team is as big or bigger than the other teams and haven't seen a speed difference from other teams either. 5 years ago yes, overall speed needed drastically improvement.

IMHO this team isn't making the 'big' plays because they are making mistakes. In fact this team has more overall ability than a team here in a long time, if they cut out the mistakes they practically don't need 'big' plays to make it - unlike the last 2 years, they really have that potential.

Bisonfan1
10-13-2008, 04:47 PM
As I did a couple of weeks ago, I am going to be the bad guy and call out the coaching staff again. remember not too long ago the saying was " we will be predictably unpredictable" " you will like what you are going to see " WELL, the play calling has been very predictable in my opinion and Mertens has been put in many positions to fail. It seems like this year the play calling has been total despiration in some situations that we had plenty of time to move the ball in chunks of yards to reach the goal line, and the play calling has been all predictable on offense. I have never made the claim to be a great football mind, however when someone sitting around me with I know for a fact to have less football knowledge then me and can call the plays, there is definetely a big problem here.

I totally agree with the lack of fire claims, it seems like after the last 2 seasons, it appears the Bison seemed all they had to do was show up and win. I quess they have found out differant. Leadership is lacking both on the field and the sidelines. Most every weak spot and problem areas could have been corrected, I see no progress whatsoever that is worth jumping up and down about.

Since it has been mentioned, I see no problem with a team member to take a couple seconds and wave their arms up and down, if that is their way to fire up the crowd or THEMSELVES then who cares, I dont think they are distracting their own self on the field. I am more than happy to see at least a couple guys out there with some fire in them and not the deer in the headlights look. Heck, we used to do that to get some circulation in the arms because it was so dang cold. There is alot more to worry about here than someone trying to get the crowd pumped up, good for them.

I am usually very optimistic, but if there are not some major corrections all across the board this week, it will be extremely ugly in Iowa this Saturday. Some may say that major corrections are a recipe for disaster, I dont totally agree with this, there is nothing to lose now, let it hang out a little, opposing teams have had an easy time coming up with their game plans for the Bison this year.

UTH
10-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Strange ranting...

Yeah, but you should see a quality ballet. I saw Spartak in Moscow a few years ago. Those ladies and fellers in leotards seemed to trade bows / curtsies for cheers for what seemed like about 45 minutes afterwards.http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/19.gif

[linky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r84l61ltabQ)] Listen closely during play and you'll hear plenty of cheering.

*welcome aboard, magiccitybisonguyhttp://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/bananacheerleadersmilies.gif

lakesbison
10-13-2008, 06:27 PM
HOW DO YOU FIND A YOUTUBE BALLET SPOT with 127 views??

thats crazy dude.. 127 views, try the LEPRECHAUN SIGHTING in mobile Alabama. 7 million + views. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nda_OSWeyn8

magiccitybisonguy
10-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Great post and welcome to the site....

Also, do you plan on tailgating for the Indiana State game???

don't know, will have the whole family with me. it'll be our first bison game in 10 years, what's the official protocol for newbies? i'm thinking the kids might dig the atmosphere, my wife will think it's cold and i'll be up for anything.....game's at 6pm, right? when do we start?.....who's name do i drop to get to the front of the line for brats/etc? :)

as far as my post about the speed and size, i may be wrong but it just seems the last couple of games i've seen on tv have the opponents defenders flying around to the ball and closing quickly on receivers and i don't see that from the bison, maybe coaching and positioning?

the bison seem like the vikings in that teams expect them to run, they pack the box (that's what she said--:D ) and dare our QB to beat them. and much like the vikes, we've got an OK qb who's seemingly been let down by an offensive line that was thought to be a strength of the team. Defense is solid, but can only hang on so long, our stud RB seems to having trouble getting into the open field, and our coach is bald and answers questions in ways that seem to use plenty of words, but doesn't really say anything.......no wonder i like both the bison and vikings, they're kinda similar...........oh yeah, and they both play in indoor stadiums with great history of outdoor football......

Former Hitman
10-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Sorry, I had posted this on another thread, however I do want to get my point across...

I think I have a pretty perspective on this issue...The team is lacking vocal/playmaking leaders. When I played, we always had one or two individuals who would take charge in their respective position. A person who would grab another player's face mask and let him be known he's not playing up to snuff. That's what we are missing.

Shoot, I remember multiple times when a O-linemen will be yelling at our head coach, telling to run right behind him!! Put the weight on his shoulders!

A corner, telling the opposing head coach to challenge him on a 3rd and 2 and 4th and 2 with less than 10 seconds left in the game for the go ahead win!

A linebacker yelling at our star runningback to get his butt back in the game since he was babying his ankle...

I am not one who will question the play calling since that's not my experience, but I will questions the players sense of urgency and leadership.

Yes, Roehl is a good leader, but I didn't seem him coming over the to D-side or taking control last game?

That loss, ripped my heart out, and I put it on the players, which I had mentioned to them.

steelbison
10-13-2008, 09:16 PM

PL, have to disagree with you here. He was leading the team right down the field for the winning score when a phanton chop block was called. and that fumble he never had a chance. Hit from the blind side by a guy that was never touched. Pretty hard to see that coming when you just got back in the pocket. to run the game plan they are doing right now is not helping in any way. When every person in my section of the dome can call the play before it happens your not going to be too successful..

Notorious
10-13-2008, 10:58 PM

HOLY S#**......I had to read this several times to make sure it really said what I thought it did......you, are crasy!!!!

Notorious
10-13-2008, 11:01 PM
HOLY S#**......I had to read this several times to make sure it really said what I thought it did......you, are crasy!!!!

I just read it again....WOW!!!!!!!!!