PDA

View Full Version : Bison & Ben Woodside in USA TODAY College Basketball Preview

CaBisonFan
10-10-2008, 06:44 PM
It's October 10th, I'm at the Minneapolis Airport on layover and bought the big USA TODAY preview....really good edition over-all....and there's a half-page about the Summit League.

There's a picture of Ben Woodside, and he's the preseason player of the year projected winner. They also project the Bison to win the conference; however, they pick Oakland to take 2nd, and to be the selection for the NCAA Tourney. Whatever.

They name the NDSU game at Oakland to be one of the games of the year in the conference.

Anyway...it's worth looking at. If you're into college basketball, it's one of the best I've seen, covering a lot of territory.

One drawback: It's 5 bucks.

CaBisonFan

TheDoctor
10-10-2008, 08:09 PM
It's October 10th, I'm at the Minneapolis Airport on layover and bought the big USA TODAY preview....really good edition over-all....and there's a half-page about the Summit League.

There's a picture of Ben Woodside, and he's the preseason player of the year projected winner. They also project the Bison to win the conference; however, they pick Oakland to take 2nd, and to be the selection for the NCAA Tourney. Whatever.

They name the NDSU game at Oakland to be one of the games of the year in the conference.

Anyway...it's worth looking at. If you're into college basketball, it's one of the best I've seen, covering a lot of territory.

One drawback: It's 5 bucks.

CaBisonFan

Can I trade my vacation to Mayville for a copy???? :D ;)

Bison101
10-11-2008, 11:27 PM
Great story.

I'm finally looking over here now that the football team has gone kaput.

BraxtonT
10-12-2008, 05:38 AM
Great story.

I'm finally looking over here now that the football team has gone kaput.

I hope the basketball team is learning a lesson from the football team before they begin their own season. There was/ is a lot of hype and high expectations for both squads. Regardless of the football team's reasons for their performance, the men's basketball team just needs to FOCUS on what they need to do. My only hope for them (MBB) is that they don't get caught up in all the hoopla that is sure to be with them throughout their own campaign to reach the "big show" of their sport.

TheDoctor
10-12-2008, 04:32 PM
I hope the basketball team is learning a lesson from the football team before they begin their own season. There was/ is a lot of hype and high expectations for both squads. Regardless of the football team's reasons for their performance, the men's basketball team just needs to FOCUS on what they need to do. My only hope for them (MBB) is that they don't get caught up in all the hoopla that is sure to be with them throughout their own campaign to reach the "big show" of their sport.

Very well said Tyrone. I couldn't agree more. One game at a time. We need to win the regular season first and for most to ensure post season play. ;)

ndsubison1
10-12-2008, 04:53 PM
With the way football is going I am starting to get more interested and excited for bball day by day...

NDSUstudent
10-12-2008, 05:20 PM
@Idaho
@NAU(good Big Sky program)
@Minnesota

The road has been this team's Achilles heel, they will need to come out focused and ready to go. If they don't then they will get a quick wake up call.

ad guy
10-13-2008, 02:02 PM

The BIG difference from the football team is that the Bball team has a stone cold leader in Woody.

lcbison
10-14-2008, 02:47 AM
Comparing the football and basketball is apples to oranges. Last years Bison football team played against a weaker schedule than this year.

However, the basketball team failed to win the conference and underacheived. They got destroyed by a mediocore Gopher team, and were mid-level in the conference. They get a chance to redeem themselves in a weak D1 conference, whose best player defected to the NBA. (George Hill)

So, long story longer, anything other than a conference championship will be pretty disapointing as the cupboard looks pretty bare after this season.

TheDoctor
10-14-2008, 02:50 AM
Comparing the football and basketball is apples to oranges. Last years Bison football team played against a weaker schedule than this year.

However, the basketball team failed to win the conference and underacheived. They got destroyed by a mediocore Gopher team, and were mid-level in the conference. They get a chance to redeem themselves in a weak D1 conference, whose best player defected to the NBA. (George Hill)

So, long story longer, anything other than a conference championship will be pretty disapointing as the cupboard looks pretty bare after this season.

Saul should bring you in for the pregame speech! :rofl: Could you have possibly made the season sound any less significant or exciting? WOW! ;)

ndsubison1
10-14-2008, 02:51 AM

i wouldn't call the gopher bball team mediocre.... tubby smith is an excellent coach and they were close to making the big ten championship

lcbison
10-14-2008, 03:10 AM
Minnesota 20-14 8-10 in conference play...sure they won a couple games in the conference tourney...but any team that is 1 and done in NIT is mediocore in my book.

ndsubison1
10-14-2008, 03:17 AM
Minnesota 20-14 8-10 in conference play...sure they won a couple games in the conference tourney...but any team that is 1 and done in NIT is mediocore in my book.

yes they were, they were also 9-22 and 3-13 the year before... the big ten was a pretty good conference this past season with wisconsin, purdue, indiana, and michigan st... ohio st. was decent too

anyways, looking forward to the late show on friday

WRSDBison
10-14-2008, 05:07 PM

You listen to too much KFAN, or you are Paul Allen.

NDSUstudent
10-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Guys that Minnesota game was a perfect storm for a Bison beatdown. We were struggling on the road and even at home to an extent, we had no bench, and we were getting nothing out of the post. That combination of things will make it tough do well at any Big Ten arena.

Hopefully this year we can rebound and finally have a good game in the Barn.

ad guy
10-14-2008, 09:29 PM
Beating Minnesota will only get harder, Tubby has them going in the right direction fast.

They are loaded with young talent this year. If they win in the barn, that will be the highlight of the regular season for sure!