PDA

View Full Version : Fargo ranked 173rd best Sports City

ndsubison1
10-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Sporting News ranks Fargo as the 173rd best sports city in the country. Bismarck is 335.

Sorry I don't have a link but I read it in my SN today

bisonmike2
10-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Sporting News ranks Fargo as the 173rd best sports city in the country. Bismarck is 335.

Sorry I don't have a link but I read it in my SN today

here's the link.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=468401

bisonmike2
10-09-2008, 08:39 PM
weird list. Sioux Falls is way back at 348. Way to low. They have a great following for all of their minor league sports. Brookings at 244? Should they even be on the list? A hundred spots higher than Sioux Falls? If Brookings in on the list, Rapid City should be on it. And no Grand Forks? But, but, but.....THEY HAVE HOCKEY! Not a smack. Seriously Brookings makes it and the city with the nicest hockey arena in the country doesn't? It's Grand Forks but they do have one of the most successful hockey programs in the counrty. I'm confused. List is bogus, IMO.

bisonmike2
10-09-2008, 08:58 PM
Here's the criteria.

"It's not just about championships.

Our Best Sports City rankings, which look at the 12 months from roughly October 2007 to October 2008, are based on point values assigned to various categories, including but not limited to won-lost records, postseason appearances, applicable power ratings, number of teams and attendance."

Fargo - 173 obvious why it's on the list. pretty respectible spot.

Sioux Falls - 348 - I'm still scracthing my head on this one. 4 sucessful minor league teams and 2 universities (Auggie and USF). One could argue that they should be higher thand Fargo. (could, but I won't).

Brookings - 244 - I guess SDSU. They must have really placed a high value on women's collegiate basketball.

Mankato - 342 - I think they had a pretty good year in hockey but I didn't think it was that good.

Missoula, MT - 194 - In your face Montana!

Little Rock Ark- 176 - Woohoo! Fargo ranked higher than the home of an SEC school.

Minneapolis/St. Paul - 18 - well obviously they don't put too much emphasis on winning :)

aces1180
10-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Here's the criteria.

"It's not just about championships.

Our Best Sports City rankings, which look at the 12 months from roughly October 2007 to October 2008, are based on point values assigned to various categories, including but not limited to won-lost records, postseason appearances, applicable power ratings, number of teams and attendance."

Fargo - 173 obvious why it's on the list. pretty respectible spot.

Sioux Falls - 348 - I'm still scracthing my head on this one. 4 sucessful minor league teams and 2 universities (Auggie and USF). One could argue that they should be higher thand Fargo. (could, but I won't).

Brookings - 244 - I guess SDSU. They must have really placed a high value on women's collegiate basketball.

Mankato - 342 - I think they had a pretty good year in hockey but I didn't think it was that good.

Missoula, MT - 194 - In your face Montana!

Little Rock Ark- 176 - Woohoo! Fargo ranked higher than the home of an SEC school.

The University of Arkansas is located in Fayetteville, not Little Rock.

NDSUstudent
10-09-2008, 09:02 PM
weird list. Sioux Falls is way back at 348. Way to low. They have a great following for all of their minor league sports. Brookings at 244? Should they even be on the list? A hundred spots higher than Sioux Falls? If Brookings in on the list, Rapid City should be on it. And no Grand Forks? But, but, but.....THEY HAVE HOCKEY! Not a smack. Seriously Brookings makes it and the city with the nicest hockey arena in the country doesn't? It's Grand Forks but they do have one of the most successful hockey programs in the counrty. I'm confused. List is bogus, IMO.

They have hockey...I guess nobody cares.

Seriously, I'm surprised they aren't on the list even with hockey's problems. I bet after they complete their transition they'll be on the list, being a DII school means pretty much you live in obscurity.

bisonmike2
10-09-2008, 09:04 PM
The University of Arkansas is located in Fayetteville, not Little Rock.

Dammit! I fail.

BigDeal
10-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Dammit! I fail.

Not completely. Arkansas will play two games in Little Rock this year against Louisiana-Monroe (which has already been played) and LSU on Nov. 28th. They usually play at least 1 game a year in Little Rock, the rest in Fayetteville. This technicallity brought you up to a passing grade.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6100&SPID=2419&SPSID=30723

56BISON73
10-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Dammit! I fail.

Well there is The University Of Arkansas at Little Rock.:D PL

NDSU1980
10-12-2008, 09:25 PM
What's funny is that #153. Nacogdoches, Texas, is ahead of Fargo. That's the place that McFeely is always ripping on his radio show for being the armpit of the sporting world.

roadwarrior
10-12-2008, 11:23 PM
What's funny is that #153. Nacogdoches, Texas, is ahead of Fargo. That's the place that McFeely is always ripping on his radio show for being the armpit of the sporting world.

Hmmm. I wonder what I missed when I was there?

A1pigskin
10-13-2008, 01:27 AM
Interesting stat.............

ndsubison1
10-13-2008, 02:58 AM

what do they even have there for sports? Is that where like Texas-Pan American is or something... I'm embarassed

56BISON73
10-13-2008, 03:11 AM
what do they even have there for sports? Is that where like Texas-Pan American is or something... I'm embarassed

Nacogdoches is home to Stephen F. Austin State University (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_F._Austin_State_University),
PL