PDA

View Full Version : Break out year

KTF
10-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Before the season started, there was talk on the board of who would have a break out year. Being roughly half way through the season, I got to admit that I haven't seen anybody stand out like Roehl did last year. A few players who come to mind:

Alex Belquist and Warren Holloway are doing a nice job on kick/punt returns...

Johnson and Coulter are showing great improvement along the d-line...

Austin Richards appears to be the real deal anywhere on the o-line...

Voigtlander has shown great skill with the limited reps on the field... I predict his breakout year will be next year

Veldman with his size/hands could have a breakout year next year as well...

Preston Evans impresses me. Joe Mays type player. Next year could be his break out year as well...

So many potentials but none that glare breakout season.

msvjcpa
10-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Before the season started, there was talk on the board of who would have a break out year. Being roughly half way through the season, I got to admit that I haven't seen anybody stand out like Roehl did last year. A few players who come to mind:

Voigtlander has shown great skill with the limited reps on the field... I predict his breakout year will be next year

Preston Evans impresses me. Joe Mays type player. Next year could be his break out year as well...

I was listening to Bohl's press conference on Monday and he was asked about Johnson and Boyer in light of the news that Compton is doubtful for Saturday's game. The thing that struck me in his comment was that those guys are only playing about 1/4 of the possible plays with Compton and Lardinois getting the rest. It's tough to get much going when you only play 2 plays out of 7 or 8.

Having said that, inspite of the the limited reps these guys are getting, they are very productive. In looking at the 5 game cumulative stats, Johnson has 11 total tackles, Boyer 8. Boyer has 4 tackes for loss, Johnson 3. Johnson has 1.5 sacks, Boyer 1. When you compare those stats to those of Lardinois and Compton who have 20 and 19 total tackles, 2 and 3.5 tackles for loss, and 1.5 and 2 sacks, respectively, and have played at least 75% of the total plays each game, I would say that Johnson and Boyer are having a better year statistically. Couple that with how hard it must be to get a rhythm going only playing 2 plays at a time, I shudder to think how good these guys might be if their playing time is increased. We may get a sense this weekend with Compton out.

CaBisonFan
10-09-2008, 01:34 PM
With so many starters returning from last year, it's going to be hard to anyone to have a breakout year from the younger group.

Fundamentally though...I agree with you.

This was a star-studded (or highly acclaimed) group of returning starters, most of whom had already had their breakout year.

This team needs a couple of younger players to emerge...an infusion of new blood...if it's going to reach its goals.

My hunch would be the young guys on the defensive line, like you discussed. I think that it's a good thing that they're not being counted on for most of the reps.

But my #1 hunch would be Holloway. It could come later in the season if the Bison are still in the running. He could be the X-Factor on offense that no one will know about until they're struck by lightning, which I believe Holloway will be. He will be a lightning bolt, with outstanding talent, quickness, and skill.

Finally...no matter what happened against Wyoming & Youngstown...it is possible, I say possible, that Nick Mertens could emerge.

Did anyone see his confidence growing against SIU in the second half? There was one play that stood out...where he eluded a rusher and made an extremely athletic throw for a completion. I'm pulling for Nick to prove doubters wrong...which would include me at certain points of the season thus far.

Good post & topic.

imabison
10-09-2008, 03:39 PM

A message from the niece of Austin Richard!!

Why can anyone spell our name right? Its Richard, not Richards!!!

:) :) :)

I work with his relatik, and met Austins mother last tailgate session!!

spelunker64
10-09-2008, 03:47 PM
A message from the niece of Austin Richard!!

Why can anyone spell our name right? Its Richard, not Richards!!!

:) :) :)

I work with his niece, and met Austins mother last tailgate session!!

Exactly he's not from Georgetown... :D

KTF
10-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the correction. I did not realize I was spelling it wrong...Sorry to the family!

RunDMc34
10-09-2008, 04:30 PM

Not to nitpick here but i will, Im positive its Gary Williams back there doing the kick returning and not Warren Holloway. I would like to see these 2 get a few more WR reps as well. I liek the idea of getting Veldman in the game at the goal line.

Anyone see Austin Richard out leading that little swing screen to Roehl too bad Tyler ran past him instead of riding his back and letting him run over a DB

extremerouge
10-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Not to nitpick here but i will, Im positive its Gary Williams back there doing the kick returning and not Warren Holloway. I would like to see these 2 get a few more WR reps as well. I liek the idea of getting Veldman in the game at the goal line.

Anyone see Austin Richard out leading that little swing screen to Roehl too bad Tyler ran past him instead of riding his back and letting him run over a DB
yes I saw Richard out leading! that was good to see!

KTF
10-09-2008, 05:07 PM

I wasn't sure of the two who it was and didn't have time to look it up. Whichever player it is, they are doing a good job!

I would like to see both of Holloway and Williams out there more as well. Both have made some great catches from the slot reciever position, if I remember correctly that is how Williams got his first collegiate career touchdown.

spelunker64
10-09-2008, 05:13 PM
yes I saw Richard out leading! that was good to see!

I'm guessing he was a bit "winded" afterwards...

Thunder_Struck
10-09-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm guessing he was a bit "winded" afterwards...

Funny things was after that play TR went to the sidelines for a breather and Richard went right back to the huddle.

extremerouge
10-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Funny things was after that play TR went to the sidelines for a breather and Richard went right back to the huddle.
haha that is pretty funny!

d3boys
10-09-2008, 09:15 PM
it was williams on the returns not holloway
looked good and will improve

missingnumber7
10-10-2008, 01:52 AM
No mention of Schultenover. I'm sorry I missed last year, but it seems to me like he's that 3rd guy that gets looked at after Heck, and Wurzbacher.

Voightlander is going to be a great 1-2 punch with Pashall next year.

Thundering Herd
10-10-2008, 02:08 AM
Lee Vandal had a great run vs. SIU and I had to do a double-take to make sure it wasn't Roehl. That kid is a frickin' tank too! How's his speed compared to Roehl? Could be a decent replacement for the diesel...

OOOPS!!! Just read the thread about him getting suspended, that sucks a$$! Looks like the only time he's running now is from the cops. Notice above that I sad the kid is a tank, but if he's not careful, he may find himself in the 'tank'. blah, blah, blah!

Anyhoo, I hope that he learns from it like many of us did and that he gets his priorities straight- school and fb first, beer second (only at home while under 21!), yada yada yada

99Bison
10-10-2008, 02:42 AM
Season isn't even half over yet, typically those break out year folks start blossoming in the second half, after getting a chance to get their feet wet...

So my prediction is that we'll see the break out's whatever they are over the remainder of the season, starting in the next 3 weeks.

RunDMc34
10-10-2008, 03:53 AM
I guess i kinda consider schultenover a staple of the offense and therefore not eligible for breakoutness. His break out was probably last year @ Cal Poly

westnodak93bison
10-10-2008, 04:04 AM
I didnt have a chance to read all the posts above. IMHO, Shultenover is gonna be a big difference maker as this season progresses. Nothing more than a gut feeling.

missingnumber7
10-12-2008, 07:52 PM
I guess i kinda consider schultenover a staple of the offense and therefore not eligible for breakoutness. His break out was probably last year @ Cal Poly

I missed that one, got screwed by the internet tv stuff.

KTF
11-21-2008, 12:21 AM
So now that potential last game of the year is here, here is your vote for the breakout player of the year? I personally don't think anyone had a breakout year!

AEBison1998
11-21-2008, 01:58 AM
Here are my picks:
Austin Richard
Preston Evans
Coulter Boyer
Garret Johnson
Cyrus Lemon (injury makes this one not what it could have been)
Matt Phillips

These guys picked up their game. Interesting that most were on D.

CaBisonFan
11-21-2008, 02:37 AM
So now that potential last game of the year is here, here is your vote for the breakout player of the year? I personally don't think anyone had a breakout year!

I'd vote for Lemon.