PDA

View Full Version : TV production

HerdBot
10-06-2008, 07:06 AM
I recorded the game and here are some thoughts.

The intro was great! Love how they tapped into the video board and got the cool into.

They did a good job of calling the game. Definitely not Scott Miller but solid.

Production: I'm not too impressed with the camera work. They had one nice camera but the rest of them looked out of focus with poor quality and poor lighting. At times, it looked a bit high school-ish and the camera man was shaky. And the sound "so so" and they could have done a better job of capturing the crowd.

Exactly the same as last year, which was an improvement over the prior ABC games but we really need some better camera's.

BigBison
10-06-2008, 07:24 AM
I remember last year for the SHSU game the cameras got out of wack some how and it made SHSU look like they were wearing Pink unis!

99Bison
10-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Lighting in the Dome is a big problem for the cameras...

Bisonguy
10-06-2008, 03:06 PM
Lighting in the Dome is a big problem for the cameras...
+++++++++++++++++++++!

aces1180
10-06-2008, 03:08 PM
+++++++++++++++++++++!

Dang it...I missed my opportunity to say, "Cue Bisonguy here." ;)

fargocyclone
10-06-2008, 04:36 PM
I recorded the game and here are some thoughts.

The intro was great! Love how they tapped into the video board and got the cool into.

They did a good job of calling the game. Definitely not Scott Miller but solid.

Production: I'm not too impressed with the camera work. They had one nice camera but the rest of them looked out of focus with poor quality and poor lighting. At times, it looked a bit high school-ish and the camera man was shaky. And the sound "so so" and they could have done a better job of capturing the crowd.

Exactly the same as last year, which was an improvement over the prior ABC games but we really need some better camera's.

Anyone up for HD cameras? :nod:

Bisonguy
10-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Anyone up for HD cameras? :nod:
It would help, but lighting is still the biggest issue. Matter of fact, more lighting would be required for HD.

Heck, a lot of very large stadiums (Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, etc.) will have their full bank of stadium lights on during an afternoon game with sunshine. That's how important lighting is to make a great looking broadcast.

tony
10-06-2008, 06:04 PM
It would help, but lighting is still the biggest issue. Matter of fact, more lighting would be required for HD.

The gobison.com video was fantastic, btw. Almost as good as a TV broadcast.

Totally agree with Bisonguy et al: the "lighting" in the Fargodome is awful. Rather than yellow construction helmets, Scheels and the Varsity Mart should sell yellow mining helmets - if 10,000 people wore them and turned on their helmet lights...

HerdBot
10-07-2008, 12:11 AM

Heck, a lot of very large stadiums (Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, etc.) will have their full bank of stadium lights on during an afternoon game with sunshine. That's how important lighting is to make a great looking broadcast.

I'm sure you know a lot more about filming than I do but there are 4 camera angles and one of them looks great. The other 3 look like my camcorder from 10 years ago. Since 1 looks good it can't all be the lighting but I'm sure it will help. The color of the field looks different on each shot.

BeckerBison
10-07-2008, 12:43 AM
Is there a chance that this weeks game against the Leathernecks could be picked up on satilite?

Jdubs21
10-07-2008, 02:39 AM
the WIU game isnt televised this week? i thought it was

TbonZach
10-07-2008, 02:45 AM
the WIU game isnt televised this week? i thought it was

According to gobison.com, it is.

('cause we all know that nothing is official until it's posted on gobison.com ;))

roadwarrior
10-07-2008, 02:50 AM
Yes its on TV. Thats why the game time was moved to 3pm.

Bisonguy
10-07-2008, 02:53 AM
I'm sure you know a lot more about filming than I do but there are 4 camera angles and one of them looks great. The other 3 look like my camcorder from 10 years ago. Since 1 looks good it can't all be the lighting but I'm sure it will help. The color of the field looks different on each shot.

Which camera angle was the decent one??

HerdBot
10-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Which camera angle was the decent one??

It was the one that was the most zoomed in on the players.

THEsocalledfan
10-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Yes its on TV. Thats why the game time was moved to 3pm.

That is kind of true. Yes it is on TV in North Dakota, but for the rest of us in the other 49 states, it is not on TV. Further, I am sure they will do the microwave BS again, too (not sure about this; someone in the know should comment) so likely no good TV options.

This game should be on FSN.

NDSUFREAK
10-07-2008, 11:55 PM
That is kind of true. Yes it is on TV in North Dakota, but for the rest of us in the other 49 states, it is not on TV. Further, I am sure they will do the microwave BS again, too (not sure about this; someone in the know should comment) so likely no good TV options.

UNI is on FSN right?

THEsocalledfan
10-08-2008, 12:04 AM
UNI is on FSN right?

No, Fox College Sports. At least I can get that one. I am getting a little crispy on this issue. 1 game in an 11 game season is a complete joke and NDSU should be embarrassed.

TheBisonator
10-08-2008, 12:14 AM
UNI is on FSN right?

The UNI game is also on statewide NBC.

tjbison
10-08-2008, 12:20 AM
UNI is on FSN right?

Yes but it will be tape delayed on FSN

BeckerBison
10-08-2008, 12:48 AM
Yes but it will be tape delayed on FSN

I plant to watch it on tape delay. So I'll need to avoid the internet and normal streams of info until then.

Have others experienced the difficulties in watching a game on tape delay and trying to avoid your normal information stream? It is tough!!

tjbison
10-08-2008, 12:55 AM
I plant to watch it on tape delay. So I'll need to avoid the internet and normal streams of info until then.

Have others experienced the difficulties in watching a game on tape delay and trying to avoid your normal information stream? It is tough!!

If you live within the reaches of KVLY out of Fargo you can watch it live? or on gobison.com also

Bisonguy
10-08-2008, 12:38 PM

Didn't SD offer you to go crew-cabbin' up I-29??

Will You Be There? :confused:

THEsocalledfan
10-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Didn't SD offer you to go crew-cabbin' up I-29??

Will You Be There? :confused:

With two little kids who want to see their daddy sometimes and a pretty full work travel schedule, it really is not working to do that. When they get older, I will consider it. I am hoping to watch part of the game on-line in a Delta Crown Room on Saturday in Nashville, TN.

I am considering coming up for the cupcake on Nov. 1 and will be there for SDSU, and was there this past Saturday.

sambini
10-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Drago wont be on the TV this week. They are staying with in house annoucers. But he did say he would be on the SDSU game.

pwbnd
10-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Just a heads-up....

According to a email from the alumni association today, Jeremy Jorgenson mentioned that there's a possibility the UNI game might be picked up by Direct TV...channel 672. Also said they probably wouldn't know until a day or two before the game.

THEsocalledfan
10-10-2008, 07:00 PM
UNI is on Fox College Sports. Any satellite should be able to get this. Am I missing something?

pwbnd
10-10-2008, 07:06 PM
The 3 Fox College Sports channels are carried only by Digital cable providers (Comcast, Verizon, etc.) only....not carried by Direct TV or Dish Network.

THEsocalledfan
10-10-2008, 09:24 PM
The 3 Fox College Sports channels are carried only by Digital cable providers (Comcast, Verizon, etc.) only....not carried by Direct TV or Dish Network.

Wow, NDSU struck out this year on TV even worse than I realized. My goodness; I hope they get their act together next year.

Bisonguy
10-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Isn't the UNI game also carried tape-delayed on FSN? Any satellite should be able to pick that up.

THEsocalledfan
10-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Isn't the UNI game also carried tape-delayed on FSN? Any satellite should be able to pick that up.

That isn't live last time I checked and not good enough even if true. But, I would appreciate knowing when it will be shown so I can DVR it.

iceberg
10-11-2008, 04:48 PM
I have a feeling next week will be on "big dish" satellite with coordinates posted

Here is why I think that

This week "the valley" game of the week is Indiana St vs. S Illinois and is on FCS Central. There are satellite coordinates available for that

Indiana St. @ So. Illinois MVC TV 2:30pm
AMC15 Ku Tr 12 Slot D Horizontal 11953 MHz SR 6111

Mediacom So. ILL markets, ch 22, FCS Central, DirecTV 672; Dish Network 451.
PxP: Scott Warmann; analyst: Danan Hughes: sideline analyst; Erin Bajackson

so next week when NDSU plays N Iowa as the game of the week its on FCS Central (again) and KVLY...no way they can run microwave from UNI to Fargo ;)

so next week there should be some coordinates available...maybe the same as above ;)

iceberg
10-18-2008, 08:47 PM
as predicted...same spot this week :)

AMC15
105W
H

so if you got a big dish (not directv or dish network) you can watch the game