PDA

View Full Version : Game thoughts

HerdBot
10-06-2008, 06:27 AM
Tailgating was the best i have ever seen! Wow! as much as everyone partied before the game, it didn't really carry the momentum into the game as the fans seemed a bit flat as did the team.

Right off the bat we looked rusty and missed a lot of tackles.

OFFENSE -
I think we're being a bit harsh on the offense. The 35 points NDSU scored was the most allowed by SIU in years. In fact the last time they gave up more than 35 was against Appalachian State in the playoffs in 2005. That same year, they beat NDSU 9-0. Our offense put up more points against this defense than Northwestern of the Big Ten did 2 games ago.

It was a conservative game plan but it was the way we've always played. We wore them out and could run at will in the 4th quarter when it really counted. Although I think we needed a few more deep passes to loosen up the defense. Heck let one fall through his hands. We also missed 3 field goals so it should have been worse.

(fact check, they gave up more than 35 once to Illinois State but nevertheless quite impressive)

DEFENSE -
Tale of 2 halves. The D-line held it's own at the line of scrimmage but like the the prior weeks, teams could run at will. Big time changes in the 2nd half.

Not sure what they did but it worked. Not counting the late TD (with help from the officials), they pitched a shutout in the 2nd half and held SIU to 36 yards.

15:00 3 01:27 SI 11 3 -3 Punt
08:27 3 03:58 SI 9 8 38 Punt
12:12 4 01:25 SI 42 3 3 Interception
08:58 4 02:21 SI 26 3 -2 Punt
03:49 4 02:39 SI 3 11 87 Passing Touchdown

MISC THOUGHTS
- Northern Iowa trailed by a similar score last week at half time and came back (SIU won on a last 2nd field goal)

- I was annoyed by Dale Lennon's comments at the end of the game. He was "Sioux-esque" and arrogant and acted like they beat themselves didn't give us much credit. WTF? They were up by 13 at half time and we missed 2 field goals and fumbled in our first 3 possessions. It's not like the dominated us. They only had 1 more turnover than us throughout the entire game.

- Hopefully the momentum carries over until next week.

- Dome was rockin' in the 2nd half but what's up w/all the blue seats in the season ticket sections?

bisonmike2
10-06-2008, 03:30 PM
I was kind of worried about the offensive play calling in the first half. It was run, run, run, punt for most of it. I don't think I saw Mertens throw anything longer than 10 yards. That's a pretty clear message to Mertens that they don't trust him. And it didn't get much better in the second half. I say next game, first offensive play from scrimmage they go for something deep. After all the tape W. Illinios has to have on us running a dive or throwing a 5 yard out we might just catch them off guard.

NDSUstudent
10-06-2008, 03:39 PM
I was kind of worried about the offensive play calling in the first half. It was run, run, run, punt for most of it. I don't think I saw Mertens throw anything longer than 10 yards. That's a pretty clear message to Mertens that they don't trust him. And it didn't get much better in the second half. I say next game, first offensive play from scrimmage they go for something deep. After all the tape W. Illinios has to have on us running a dive or throwing a 5 yard out we might just catch them off guard.

We never punted in the first half, I still wonder if anyone knows that we run the west coast offense. An offense built around short passes, I think the coaches were trying to get back to that after we kind of lost our identity in the last two games.

bisonmike2
10-06-2008, 03:51 PM
We never punted in the first half, I still wonder if anyone knows that we run the west coast offense. An offense built around short passes, I think the coaches were trying to get back to that after we kind of lost our identity in the last two games.

so a west coast offense can't throw anything over 10 yards? We had one pass over 15 and that was to Heckendorf. I understand a west coast offense is short passes but they didn't even let him throw toward the middle of the field. everything was an out or a screen pass. the play calling ultraconservative, even for a west coast offense. as far as the punting goes. SIU had control of the ball in the first half. With our limited possesions we were able to get great returns from special teams. Throw in a run or two here and there and a screen pass for a first down or two we were in perfect position to miss a fg attempt. The no punting stat in the first half is a bit deceptive.

17>1
10-06-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm not sure if this has been discussed but did anyone see that the play clock had run out prior to the tip TD for the Bison ? I think maybe that is why Lennon was so upset. I really think we got away with one there because it had been at 0 for about a half second or a full second prior to the snap. I have more thoughts on the game but would probably sound redundant at this point. Sat, stood, screamed, got hoarse and all that with my Dad on Saturday. Great bonding time. Go Herd !!!

NDSUstudent
10-06-2008, 03:54 PM
so a west coast offense can't throw anything over 10 yards? We had one pass over 15 and that was to Heckendorf. I understand a west coast offense is short passes but they didn't even let him throw toward the middle of the field. everything was an out or a screen pass. the play calling ultraconservative, even for a west coast offense. as far as the punting goes. SIU had control of the ball in the first half. With our limited possesions we were able to get great returns from special teams. Throw in a run or two here and there and a screen pass for a first down or two we were in perfect position to miss a fg attempt. The no punting stat in the first half is a bit deceptive.

I did think the gameplan was a bit too conservative as well but I think Bohl wanted to get back to basics. We were moving the ball in the 1st half, Bohl even commented that it was just a matter of time before the dam broke and it did.

99Bison
10-06-2008, 04:01 PM

Huh, What?
- Do you remember the offense of the past 6 years? Someone's always complaining that we don't throw the ball down the field more or across the middle.
- First half: NDSU 23, 26 36 were the starting field positions on the 2 missed fg and fumble.
- First half: Posstion time SIU 16:35 to NDSU 13:25.
- First half: We had a better 3rd down conversion rate than the second half.

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11844&SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=1596562

NDSUFan_Sav
10-06-2008, 04:03 PM
bohl wants the team to gain confidence back in itself, therefor he wants us to play small ball until we're all comfortable with that, like it was already said, the basics, once thats back to normal they'll open up 25-40 yd passes, give it time.

Ask yourself this:

Would you want us to go deep early this past weekend vs SIU and what do you know it gets intercepted, do you think that would of put much confidence in the players let alone the fans?????

Our players are very capable of opening a 5 yard pass for a 30 yard game, we get great blocking down field

99Bison
10-06-2008, 04:03 PM
I'm not sure if this has been discussed but did anyone see that the play clock had run out prior to the tip TD for the Bison ? I think maybe that is why Lennon was so upset. I really think we got away with one there because it had been at 0 for about a half second or a full second prior to the snap. I have more thoughts on the game but would probably sound redundant at this point. Sat, stood, screamed, got hoarse and all that with my Dad on Saturday. Great bonding time. Go Herd !!!

Yes, however according to the ref's on tv on sunday and persons sitting next to me when the play clock ticks to 0 you still have the rest of that second to get it off.

Just like why the added the tenths of seconds to a Basketball game clock.

roadwarrior
10-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Hmmm....remember Babich's play book? Throw deep. Incomplete. Throw deep. Incomplete. Throw deep. Incomplete. Punt.

NDSUstudent
10-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Hmmm....remember Babich's play book? Throw deep. Incomplete. Throw deep. Incomplete. Throw deep. Incomplete. Punt.

Unless we played UND, then it was dive right, dive center, dive left or throw deep..incomplete, and punt.

bisonmike2
10-06-2008, 04:18 PM
bohl wants the team to gain confidence back in itself, therefor he wants us to play small ball until we're all comfortable with that, like it was already said, the basics, once thats back to normal they'll open up 25-40 yd passes, give it time.

Ask yourself this:

Would you want us to go deep early this past weekend vs SIU and what do you know it gets intercepted, do you think that would of put much confidence in the players let alone the fans?????

Our players are very capable of opening a 5 yard pass for a 30 yard game, we get great blocking down field

so don't do anything out of fear that the worst could happen? why run the ball the runner could fumble. I think our best bet would be to kneel the ball every offensive play. There's the west coast offense, then there is ultraconservative and timid because you don't want your quarterback to f-up. I can't complain too much because we won the game and ultimately the coaches know way more about this team and football in general than I every will.

cbline
10-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Boy, with so many comments second-guessing the play calling on Saturday, I didn't realize that we had so many FCS coaches as Bisonville members!! Armchair coaching is pretty damn easy.

bisonmike2
10-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Boy, with so many comments second-guessing the play calling on Saturday, I didn't realize that we had so many FCS coaches as Bisonville members!! Armchair coaching is pretty damn easy.

No, it's not easy. I just make it look easy. :cool:

tcbison
10-06-2008, 04:32 PM

Ask yourself this:

There are sometimes it is good to go deep. When you have a receiver like Kole Heckendorf and you have single coverage on him, then it is worth it. If Kole came up with that catch, that would have been huge. There were other times they had single coverage on him where we didn't throw.

bisonmike2
10-06-2008, 04:35 PM
There are sometimes it is good to go deep. When you have a receiver like Kole Heckendorf and you have single coverage on him, then it is worth it. If Kole came up with that catch, that would have been huge. There were other times they had single coverage on him where we didn't throw.

I agree. But again I can't complain too much because we won the game. Seems like I'm bitching about nothing.

Kinda like bitching about all the taxes you have to pay because you won the lottery.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-06-2008, 05:34 PM

It was obvious they don't trust him. At one point in the game (either 2nd or 3rd quarter) it was 3rd and long just inside the 40, and we ran it to Tyler up the middle. We didn't get the first down and had to punt. A 15 yard completion and we are in field goal range. I think it was the right call. The thought process on Sat. was "Don't let Merten's do anything to loose the game for us." Its obvious the coaches simplified the game plan so Mertens has better controll over the situation in front of him. The only problem with simplifing the game plan is that over time it will become easier for the opposing defenses to defend against it. Hopefully, as the season progresses we can stay one step ahead of the oppositon.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-06-2008, 05:45 PM
My thoughts on the game:

We still are not controlling the line of scrimmage on either side of the ball. The run defense is porous at best. We are still allowing way to many yards on the ground. The offensive line is loosing as many battles as they win. Pass protection is great, run blocking is not. It seems like in every series we have at least 1, or more often, 2 run attempts go for either no gain or a loss. We need to gain controll the line of scrimmage if we hope to win consistently, and convincingly, this season.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-06-2008, 05:46 PM

I def. agree with you!!!! I just think thats why they didn't attempt down field, I think we'll see more this coming week against WIU, we need to get points up early and quickly and control that game clock.

tjbison
10-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Dale Lennon didn't make any friends on the Saluki board with some of these comments

http://web.me.com/saluki1/Dawg_Tracker/Dawgtracker_Blog/Entries/2008/10/5_Lennon_says_it%E2%80%99s_time_for_Salukis_to_gro w_up.html

here is the thread
http://www.salukitalk.com/st/viewtopic.php?t=23517&sid=65280b4e429644908106a1a78c02aab7

BisonNeil
10-06-2008, 05:50 PM

(Sigh) Unfortunately, I do remember that playbook. There isn't enough whiskey in Texas to forget it.

AEBison1998
10-06-2008, 06:00 PM
It was half time and I looked up at the scoreboard and we had 38 yards of rushing. 38!! That is why we were behind. 38!!!

HerdBot
10-07-2008, 02:21 AM
It was half time and I looked up at the scoreboard and we had 38 yards of rushing. 38!! That is why we were behind. 38!!!

We also scored a TD, missed 2 field goals, and fumbled. We were down 20-7 and got the football first to kick off the half. Our run defense was key and it sucked in the first half.

Wally
10-07-2008, 02:55 AM
We can all talk about what has happened in this game or that game, but I just need to start seeing consistency from all 3 phases starting this weekend. The last 5 years of bison football have been a lot of fun. But I don't want to wait another year for playoffs. This is game 6, we need to start ascending to a higher level now.

MAKBison
10-08-2008, 02:36 AM
Yes, however according to the ref's on tv on sunday and persons sitting next to me when the play clock ticks to 0 you still have the rest of that second to get it off.

Just like why the added the tenths of seconds to a Basketball game clock.

The ref has to look at the clock and then the player so an extra secound is always there.

X-Factor
10-08-2008, 04:18 AM
I find it rather hard to believe that there are people in this thread actually complaining about the play calling last Saturday. My god, we put up 35 points against a really good defense, had a positive turnover margin for the first time dating back to the 9th game of the season LAST YEAR, and here is the best part....WE WON!!! What happened the two games prior when we deviated from the standard WCO and threw it deep alot? Loss and a Loss and a hugely negative turnover margin. I think the playcalling was near perfect this past Saturday and is exactly what we need to do to win a bunch of games this year with a green QB that has a lot of potential. Dump a screen pass out to Jangula or Roehl and let them rumble! Do that a couple times and a cornerback will think twice about tackling those guys. Guarantee those plays go for first downs nearly every time. Move those chains!!

sambini
10-08-2008, 04:45 AM
Its time for the Leathernecks...

CaBisonFan
10-08-2008, 04:47 AM
Some good analysis Gabe.

I thought that the incomplete pass to Heck was important whether it was dropped or not. It was a message...one that we should use once or twice a game, whether it's practical or not. The D-Backs for SIU had to take a couple of steps back for the rest of the game. The SDSU D-backs would have responded to it last November also. Teams expect to be able to creep up on us, put a lot of guys in the box, overplay the swing passes and shorter routes, stuff the run, etc. Send the message. "We will go over the top if you're going to cheat up." This was Lenin's game plan. We busted up his plan.

Yes...we played a high-caliber team.

I'm with you on the Lenin thing. It's pretty obvious that he came to the dome not just to win a game...but to prove his superiority to the Bison coaching staff...and how great he is. He can't smell himself...or won't.

I'll go one step further. I think that part of the reason that Lenin took the job was to get back on the turf with NDSU. I also think that Lenin thinks that the Bison job is the one that should have belonged to him.

We beat up on a strong team with a lot of playoff experience.

No complaints here.

Phil Hansen & company called the second half an 'evolution' of the Bison. Pretty sure that's the term that was used. I share that opinion.

We have very tough games coming up, obviously, but I think that we're ready to get our game face on earlier now. The message got through. You can't afford to 'spot' these teams 2 or 3 touchdowns and expect to meet the season goals.

Thanks