PDA

View Full Version : Field Turf in the Dome

bisonpride4ever
10-06-2008, 04:08 AM
I know there was a thread about this earlier but i'm too lazy to look for it but, saturday night i was flipping thru some games and i happened to catch the Sac St/Northern Arizona tilt at Northern Arizona. Northern Arizona plays in a domed stadium and they have field turf and man did it look sharp. i kept watching thinking to myself, man NDSU would look sweet playing in the FargoDome on that. I wish there was some way they could work it out so they could do that there.

NDSUstudent
10-06-2008, 04:42 AM
I know there was a thread about this earlier but i'm too lazy to look for it but, saturday night i was flipping thru some games and i happened to catch the Sac St/Northern Arizona tilt at Northern Arizona. Northern Arizona plays in a domed stadium and they have field turf and man did it look sharp. i kept watching thinking to myself, man NDSU would look sweet playing in the FargoDome on that. I wish there was some way they could work it out so they could do that there.

We gotta wear the stuff we have now out first, that said I would think it will happen in 5-10 years.

BigBison
10-06-2008, 08:09 AM
We gotta wear the stuff we have now out first, that said I would think it will happen in 5-10 years.

I say less than 5 years, just my 2 cents.

bisonpride4ever
10-06-2008, 01:18 PM
i hope so i mean the stadium in Flagstaff is a shithole, i attended a football camp there and man it was crappy, but wow did that fieldturf make it look a whole lot better.

tjbison
12-09-2008, 04:32 AM
Here is a link to the turf NAU has in their Building, Its a perfect fit for the Fargodome, its NOT field Turf pretty cool stuff, LETS GET IT DONE!!!

http://www.hellasconstruction.com/turf_softop.php

tony
12-09-2008, 04:37 AM
Here is a link to the turf NAU has in their Building, Its a perfect fit for the Fargodome, its NOT field Turf pretty cool stuff, LETS GET IT DONE!!!

Man, if that stuffs works as good as it looks, I'm sold.

Edit: Looks like the Dallas Cowboys are putting this stuff into their new stadium.

http://www.topix.com/content/prweb/2008/12/new-dallas-cowboys-stadium-selects-softtop-synthetic-turf-system-from-hellas-construction

Hmm, I could see NDSU going with something like this before the current turf wears out.

SUBISON247
12-09-2008, 05:03 AM
if we do get new turf it should be a darker shade of green and then we could outline the numbers in yellow.

NOTOM
12-09-2008, 12:22 PM
The turf looks nice but I am more fond of the seating. I love the NAU in the seats.

bisonmike2
12-09-2008, 04:06 PM

That's some nice turf. That sure would look nice in the Fargodome.

tjraider35
03-12-2009, 02:57 AM
Believe me, I've played on both kinds of turf, and field turf takes the cake every single day of the week. There is nothing like it.

runtheoption
03-17-2009, 09:38 PM
BisonFan1234 has a big smile on his face after reading this thread.

BisonCountry
03-18-2009, 12:30 AM
Shouldn't it be Field TurfTM

What's next a lets burn all the books in the Library since they can be read on the intraweb thread?

runtheoption
03-18-2009, 12:57 AM
Shouldn't it be Field TurfTM

What's next a lets burn all the books in the Library since they can be read on the intraweb thread?

Ahh yes, another bisonfan1234 classic.

However, on a somewhat related note, I saw another major newspaper (one in Seattle) is going to an on-line version only. Greenie and Golic on ESPN Radio were lamenting this fact, talking about how there is nothing better than the morning coffee/newspaper routine.

Hammerhead
03-20-2009, 03:39 PM
How much extra work would be involved for non-football events?

I'm guessing the field turf has to get covered with plywood or something like that for concerts, monster truck shows, big iron. etc. Wouldn't that make it hard to move the portable seats to the north end for the bball configuration?

sambini
03-22-2009, 03:52 AM
They seemed to cover it up quite well in the metrodome. Nice stuff+++

mango
03-25-2009, 07:58 AM
How much extra work would be involved for non-football events?

I'm guessing the field turf has to get covered with plywood or something like that for concerts, monster truck shows, big iron. etc. Wouldn't that make it hard to move the portable seats to the north end for the bball configuration?

The stuff NAU has can be removed so it would be easier for concerts and what not.

WYOBISONMAN
03-25-2009, 03:15 PM
Yes, the stuff at the Metrodome this weekend seemed very nice. We need it!

roadwarrior
03-25-2009, 03:22 PM
For the past couple of days the Fargodome has been the world's largest sandbag filling factory. Nice having that smooth concrete floor.

bisonmike2
03-25-2009, 03:26 PM
Doesn't the field turf need a sand base for installation? We already have a ton (actually probably several tons) of sand there. Hmmm...maybe we should just get to installing the new stuff, to save money of course.

sambini
03-26-2009, 12:24 AM
For the past couple of days the Fargodome has been the world's largest sandbag filling factory. Nice having that smooth concrete floor. Its great to have a building that can be used for an emegency. THANKS FOR THE FARGODOME+++

roadwarrior
03-26-2009, 06:52 AM
Wow! Talk about a huge housecleaning job when this flood is over just to clean up the Fargodome. And its not just the floor....

Ferd
03-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Again we see how great a decision it was to build the FFD.

We've seen many huge concerts, sold out football games, fantastic commercial shows, marathons, AND last but not least, a facility that is readily availablr for emergencies.

Now, I fail to see how anyone can be a naysayer on the development of an addition to expand the facility to accomodate basketball AND OTHER smaller events.

I think it is justifiable WITHOUT infusion of other dedicated monies. Yes, it would be nice to have 15 mil for naming rights but in these times that might be difficult to raise. The building will pay for itself and now is the best time to start building it.

Can't "long-term" lease agreements from NDSU, or others, be utilized as the match the Fargodome authority wants?

Economic times have changed but the economic viability of the expansion has IMPROVED.

Fargo is a growing, dynamic, economic region. This building will only enhance it.

$15 mil is already in the fund. There are many ways, including donations, to raise another $15 mil. Just think of the impact to the housing and restauraunt markets?

(Sorry for the mild rant.)

Trim
03-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Hallstrom said something pretty similar on "Further Review" last night.

sambini
03-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Again we see how great a decision it was to build the FFD.

We've seen many huge concerts, sold out football games, fantastic commercial shows, marathons, AND last but not least, a facility that is readily availablr for emergencies.

Now, I fail to see how anyone can be a naysayer on the development of an addition to expand the facility to accomodate basketball AND OTHER smaller events.

I think it is justifiable WITHOUT infusion of other dedicated monies. Yes, it would be nice to have 15 mil for naming rights but in these times that might be difficult to raise. The building will pay for itself and now is the best time to start building it.

Can't "long-term" lease agreements from NDSU, or others, be utilized as the match the Fargodome authority wants?

Economic times have changed but the economic viability of the expansion has IMPROVED.

Fargo is a growing, dynamic, economic region. This building will only enhance it.

$15 mil is already in the fund. There are many ways, including donations, to raise another $15 mil. Just think of the impact to the housing and restauraunt markets?

(Sorry for the mild rant.)

Well said ++++++++++++++++++++++++

chuckles
03-30-2009, 12:48 AM
Hallstrom said something pretty similar on "Further Review" last night.

exactly... He said when the city was discussing building it, no one would have thought it would be used for something like this. He mentioned to look at the big picture saying that the expansion could serve as a emergency shelter for evacuees or another purpose.

tjbison
03-30-2009, 12:59 AM
Honestly ill take the BBall addition over the Field Turf for now!!!!!

sambini
03-30-2009, 01:55 AM
Honestly ill take the BBall addition over the Field Turf for now!!!!!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

tjbison
08-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Per the MVC Twitter it says Indiana St has installed new Field Turf!! They will debut it in their opener against Quincy man and everyone thought they were going to drop football now we do need to get something done!!

Can't link it from my phone

MN_BISON
08-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Per the MVC Twitter it says Indiana St has installed new Field Turf!! They will debut it in their opener against Quincy man and everyone thought they were going to drop football now we do need to get something done!!

Can't link it from my phone

I agree, NDSU needs to get their turf issues taken care of and up to date ASAP. If other dome teams can do it and for the love of God if Indiana St. can do it, so can the Bison. Before anyone asks, I don't have an extra million sitting in the bank, so no, I can't write a check. :blush:

Hammersmith
08-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Two seasons away, minimum. The type of turf being considered is very new, and the FD will want to see how other installations work before disrupting the status quo. The turf was first installed at NAU two years ago, but that didn't get the FD any info. NAU only pulls up their turf once or twice a year and they don't face any time constraints when they do it. The UNI-Dome, on the other hand, is a closer situation to the FD. They'll spend this season making mistakes and learning from them, and next season perfecting the technique. The FD will wait until that process is over so they don't have to reinvent the wheel. With that info in hand, they can figure out how many additional man-hours the new turf will require, whether it will require hiring any new people, and if the additional time needed to lay it down and pull it up will mean that Friday night and Sunday afternoon events would no longer be possible. At a guess, I'd say the chances of new turf within two years are close to zero, but the chances of no new turf beyond five years is also zero. If I was betting, I'd put my money on the 2012 season; maybe 2011.

Panther Fan
08-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Two seasons away, minimum. The type of turf being considered is very new, and the FD will want to see how other installations work before disrupting the status quo. The turf was first installed at NAU two years ago, but that didn't get the FD any info. NAU only pulls up their turf once or twice a year and they don't face any time constraints when they do it. The UNI-Dome, on the other hand, is a closer situation to the FD. They'll spend this season making mistakes and learning from them, and next season perfecting the technique. The FD will wait until that process is over so they don't have to reinvent the wheel. With that info in hand, they can figure out how many additional man-hours the new turf will require, whether it will require hiring any new people, and if the additional time needed to lay it down and pull it up will mean that Friday night and Sunday afternoon events would no longer be possible. At a guess, I'd say the chances of new turf within two years are close to zero, but the chances of no new turf beyond five years is also zero. If I was betting, I'd put my money on the 2012 season; maybe 2011.

The UNI-Dome turf is close to being done, and WOW, what an improvement!! You can see it on a live webcam at http://www.vpaf.uni.edu/fs/webcam/dometurf/dome_turf_webcam.shtml . From what I hear, NAU and the Alamo Dome aren't real happy with their stuff and that played into the decision to put this stuff down in the Dome. Also, now that UNI has the new basketball arena, they are anticipating only needing to uninstall / install the turf about 2 - 3 times a year. Basically, once it is down for the football season it will stay down. Then it will come up for the indoor track season after football and then go back down for spring practice / game. I "think" it can be covered, too, for any conventions or shows that might take place while it is down...not sure on that, though. I hope it performs...I have the same ?? in my head about a relatively new application. Although it is a tried and true product, it is almost 100% of the time installed permanently and not how UNI or NDSU would use it. We will see in time, I guess, but for now, it looks great and should be a huge improvement over the old stuff.

Hammersmith
08-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Wow, I thought UNI was going with the same system as NAU(5 or 10 yard rolls). I didn't realize there was a 32 panel system out there. The only panel system I had seen so far was the one up in Toronto, and that one looks like crap. On top of the visual factor, the panels are so small that it takes forever to lay them all down or pick them up. I'm betting the FD people will be keeping in close touch with your guys to see how the Mondoturf system works out.

Panther Fan
08-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Wow, I thought UNI was going with the same system as NAU(5 or 10 yard rolls). I didn't realize there was a 32 panel system out there. The only panel system I had seen so far was the one up in Toronto, and that one looks like crap. On top of the visual factor, the panels are so small that it takes forever to lay them all down or pick them up. I'm betting the FD people will be keeping in close touch with your guys to see how the Mondoturf system works out.

It is actually 5 yard rolls, similar to the NAU / Dallas Cowboy system. That way the rolls can be stored just like the old stuff (under the overhangs on each sideline). There are 20 rolls for the field, the end zones are made up of two rolls of 5 yards each (4), then there is 5 yards beyond each end zone (2) and then sidelines are rolled in the remaining pieces. That is close to the breakdown, anyway. The big difference is in the pellets that most field turf systems have and cause so much problem for a removable system. This system has a more "contained" pellet system that makes it cleaner and easier to remove and install. I guess the St. Louis Rams are looking at putting this in, too. Hope it works!! I'm sure there will be MANY facilities using us as a test case.

tjbison
08-11-2009, 12:08 AM
The UNI-Dome turf is close to being done, and WOW, what an improvement!! You can see it on a live webcam at http://www.vpaf.uni.edu/fs/webcam/dometurf/dome_turf_webcam.shtml . From what I hear, NAU and the Alamo Dome aren't real happy with their stuff and that played into the decision to put this stuff down in the Dome. Also, now that UNI has the new basketball arena, they are anticipating only needing to uninstall / install the turf about 2 - 3 times a year. Basically, once it is down for the football season it will stay down. Then it will come up for the indoor track season after football and then go back down for spring practice / game. I "think" it can be covered, too, for any conventions or shows that might take place while it is down...not sure on that, though. I hope it performs...I have the same ?? in my head about a relatively new application. Although it is a tried and true product, it is almost 100% of the time installed permanently and not how UNI or NDSU would use it. We will see in time, I guess, but for now, it looks great and should be a huge improvement over the old stuff.

Thanks for the info, and for the civilized conversation from a UNI fan:nod:

roadwarrior
08-11-2009, 01:27 AM
Aren't we glad we didn't rush out last year and buy the stuff Northern Arizona installed?

bisonmike2
08-11-2009, 01:35 AM
That turf looks beautiful. Though I'm not a big fan of the shanty town colored seats.

http://www.capetown.dj/people/CapeFlats/IMG_1226.JPG

sambini
08-11-2009, 02:41 AM
It is actually 5 yard rolls, similar to the NAU / Dallas Cowboy system. That way the rolls can be stored just like the old stuff (under the overhangs on each sideline). There are 20 rolls for the field, the end zones are made up of two rolls of 5 yards each (4), then there is 5 yards beyond each end zone (2) and then sidelines are rolled in the remaining pieces. That is close to the breakdown, anyway. The big difference is in the pellets that most field turf systems have and cause so much problem for a removable system. This system has a more "contained" pellet system that makes it cleaner and easier to remove and install. I guess the St. Louis Rams are looking at putting this in, too. Hope it works!! I'm sure there will be MANY facilities using us as a test case. Thanks for the info+++