PDA

View Full Version : Crowd taunting? why not?

John2010
10-05-2008, 09:58 PM
Back in the year the bison made the Semis (2000 or 2001?) we made the trip down to Omaha to watch them play the Mavs.....the bison crowd got a "husker reject" chant goin towards the omaha players.....Why do we not do this in the Dome where it could get mighty loud with tons of people yelling "Illini Rejects" or "Hawkeye Rejects" or "Buckeye rejects" heck even "Mizzou rejects"? Am I the only one who happens to be a fan of this idea?

roadwarrior
10-05-2008, 10:02 PM
I guess so.

TheBisonator
10-05-2008, 10:02 PM
I started up an "Illini Rejects" chant in the student section during warmups. Looking to do the same next week.

RunDMc34
10-05-2008, 10:17 PM
I was down in the student section for about a minute I started a redbird rejects of course referring to the mighty redbirds of Illinois St.

I then went up the mountain to my season ticket spot up in the nosebleeds.

Bison101
10-05-2008, 10:27 PM
According to common courtesy:

Book of Common Courtesy, Article 1, Verse 1: Taunting is unsportsmanlike and doesn't promote a vison/image of pride and tradition, as it promotes a tradition of losers and bullies.

Fightin' Bison
10-05-2008, 10:57 PM
Back in the year the bison made the Semis (2000 or 2001?) we made the trip down to Omaha to watch them play the Mavs.....the bison crowd got a "husker reject" chant goin towards the omaha players.....Why do we not do this in the Dome where it could get mighty loud with tons of people yelling "Illini Rejects" or "Hawkeye Rejects" or "Buckeye rejects" heck even "Mizzou rejects"? Am I the only one who happens to be a fan of this idea?

Just get used to hearing "Gopher Rejects" or [gulp] "Sioux Rejects" in return. Count me out.

BigBison
10-05-2008, 11:52 PM
Students do this every game during the warm ups. I dont remeber if we did it with Peay. But with CCSU we did a "Huskie Rejects" and "Illini Rejects" for SIU but the Illini never really got started couldnt under stand it. The students for this last game really and I mean really got after the taunting, got a big "2's a F%& IT" and when we recoved there fumble got a big "Your Team Hates You." SIU's AD was down in front of the student section just getting hammerd by the students all game long. He was an ass though. Oh yeah and when Dale was having a tiff with the refs, we go after him too.

ndsubison1
10-05-2008, 11:54 PM
stop the taunting it's not nice, you're going to make the other teams cry

Moonstar
10-05-2008, 11:56 PM
I hate getting taunted...therefore I don't taunt

A1pigskin
10-06-2008, 12:47 AM
It doesn't matter to me. But we could start a chant like "We are"... "Bison"?
Students could say "We are" and the rest of the dome says "Bison."

rutlandbison
10-06-2008, 12:49 AM

Except nobody else in the dome gets lowd or anything.... so there goes that idea.

CaBisonFan
10-06-2008, 01:06 AM
Do what you want. No big deal. If it 'takes,' then it 'takes.'

It's not my style, but that's fine.

At UCLA they have an alumnus come down on the floor before each home game with a basketball.

He points to the ball and says: "What is this?"

Crowd chants: "That is a basketball."

He points to the floor, the basket, etc, etc....and asks the same question.

He points to the Bruins and asks who they are:

"Those are the winners."

He points to the visiting team and asks who they are.

The crowd yells (about 18,000) at the top of their lungs...

"Those are the loooooooooossssseeerrrrrrrrs."

Then the place goes crazy.

That cheer has been there for about 30 years according to urban legend.

It's probably used at a lot of places.

Do whatever you can to get in the head of a team.

We're in prime-time now. The players know what it's all about.

That's my attitude.

BigBison
10-06-2008, 01:10 AM
Here you can watch what Ca is talking about here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHtJRIm4SS8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUGoXwsR3Zg&feature=related

Ohio does it too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFtPj-Uka-o

Heres a Chant NDSU needs ASAP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_76UC-aENA

NDSUstudent
10-06-2008, 01:23 AM
Say what you want about taunting but there has been a few teams that have came into the dome and let the student section be a distraction.

BigBison
10-06-2008, 01:32 AM

I think "We Are"......"The Herd" sounds better.

And maybe having each section of the Fargodome spell out NDSU, west-south-east-north.
Kinda like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbdXgAWuU_E&feature=related

NDSUguy
10-06-2008, 01:48 AM
Memo to Students:

Start the STAND UP OLD PEOPLE chant. That would be funny, entertaining and wouldn't offend anyone. That is the perfect response to the blue hairs that are ruining the dome experience.

Nothing is better than calling a group of people out for being boring.

ndsubison1
10-06-2008, 01:54 AM

I think that could sound really sweet

HooliganBison
10-06-2008, 02:18 AM
Sorry but if we can't get the whole dome to chant "Let's Go Bison" we are not going to get it to do any other chant. It is a pretty easy chant that everyone can do. I remember last year at Minny we were way louder there than we are in our own dome. Maybe the crowd needs a pep talk before the game from coach Bohl to get everyone loud.

extremerouge
10-06-2008, 03:07 AM
Memo to Students:

Start the STAND UP OLD PEOPLE chant. That would be funny, entertaining and wouldn't offend anyone. That is the perfect response to the blue hairs that are ruining the dome experience.

Nothing is better than calling a group of people out for being boring.
other than maybe the old people

bisonpride4ever
10-06-2008, 03:26 AM
the "we are.....Bison" chant is not original alot of teams do that, so i say no to that. come up with something original. the UCLA thing i've seen that done at a million Mayville state games back in the day when they would be winning so, once again, no to that idea as well. but like other people have mentioned, most of our fans have to be told to cheer and sadly i just can't see the dome joining in to do a chant or cheer, which really really sucks.

gizmo
10-06-2008, 03:58 AM
At Wyoming, they put their student cheering section right behind their own team on the 50 yard line. Wow, UW's actually promoting positive cheering - what a novel idea! The students can cheer and fire up their own team instead of wasting their efforts trying to distract the visitors. That also sends a message about who's really important at the university.....the students!

HerdBot
10-06-2008, 05:17 AM

I don't like to be a jerk and I would rather keep it classy.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-06-2008, 06:25 AM
alright.....lets get a few students out of the student sections to walk around the dome to each section and when the students start lets go bison....we start at each section and the whole place will hopefully start in.....thoughts?? Any students in here that want to join me?

BigBison
10-06-2008, 07:38 AM
alright.....lets get a few students out of the student sections to walk around the dome to each section and when the students start lets go bison....we start at each section and the whole place will hopefully start in.....thoughts?? Any students in here that want to join me?

hhhhmmmmmmm.....maybe need a good size group.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-06-2008, 07:42 AM
lets get this place rocking, guessing you could skip a section or so....

CaBisonFan
10-06-2008, 08:10 AM
lets get this place rocking, guessing you could skip a section or so....

I like this:

Every time something big happens for the Bison...great defensive stop, big play, big hit....

That's the Bison....that's the Bison....that's the Bison.

borderbison
10-06-2008, 02:00 PM
the "we are.....Bison" chant is not original alot of teams do that, so i say no to that. come up with something original. the UCLA thing i've seen that done at a million Mayville state games back in the day when they would be winning so, once again, no to that idea as well. but like other people have mentioned, most of our fans have to be told to cheer and sadly i just can't see the dome joining in to do a chant or cheer, which really really sucks.
Yours truly made that cheer famous at Lewy Lee Fieldhouse back in 1995 when when a young rookie coach name Tim Miles came onto the scene. Normally, he would find a way to call time out at the end of the game and I would go onto the court and everybody in the place would stand up. For a small town college, it was electrifying. Students and the general attendance all were part of it. I think in two years we lost one game at Lewy Lee and it was to Moorhead State when Aronson would light it up from anywhere in the gym!! Anyway, keeping with the intent of the thread - I wish I had the answers to keep the energy in the dome at a level where the team feeds off it. To say the crowd has no effect like some do, you should ask Tyler that question. I get the feeling he feeds of the energy just a bit!

Da_Bizon
10-06-2008, 02:13 PM
We started a couple of "Illini Rejects" chants, but they didn't catch on. There were a few people laughing, but nothing good.

As far as taunting in general, I personally feel that it is the student section's job to get in the head of the other team... as long as it's in good taste. Just make it creative and annoying to the other team. There is a reason that we are right behind their bench.

With that said, there is one chant that refers to #2 that I would love to see end. It is stupid, classless and ignorant. Come up with something original that doesn't make our school look bad. This season I've just started chanting "Let's Go Bison" and it seems to get the rest of the student section going enough to drown out those other morons and/or change the chant.

NDSU1980
10-06-2008, 02:22 PM
We can't do this until Lakes invents it. ;)

NDSUFan_Sav
10-06-2008, 04:22 PM
I started a shave that stache chant, other then friends around me that laughed, no one caught on :(

Herd Mentality
10-06-2008, 06:09 PM
There's just not a lot of crowd unity in general at the FFD anymore. I think alot of it has to do with the announcer.

I'd like to see the stupid "And that's another Bison First down" thing killed off. "Move those chains" has been around for years and had great participation before this new thing. Now you have half doing one thing and half doing another.

Announcer also should stop kickoff banter at "Everybody up for the kickoff..." crowd response should be "The March is On"

bisonpride4ever
10-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Yours truly made that cheer famous at Lewy Lee Fieldhouse back in 1995 when when a young rookie coach name Tim Miles came onto the scene. Normally, he would find a way to call time out at the end of the game and I would go onto the court and everybody in the place would stand up. For a small town college, it was electrifying. Students and the general attendance all were part of it. I think in two years we lost one game at Lewy Lee and it was to Moorhead State when Aronson would light it up from anywhere in the gym!! Anyway, keeping with the intent of the thread - I wish I had the answers to keep the energy in the dome at a level where the team feeds off it. To say the crowd has no effect like some do, you should ask Tyler that question. I get the feeling he feeds of the energy just a bit!

hell yeah the last time i saw it done was a conference tournement championship game, i believe against Mary. I can't remember what year it was, but i know Miles was the coach. I thought him and the mary coach were going to get into a fistfight on the sidelines about 40 different times. i remember a guy doing the cheer at the end and i remember a bunch of dudes sitting right behind the mary bench and chanting and singing songs and whatnot, for NAIA it was an awesome atmosphere.

JackJD
10-07-2008, 12:34 AM
There's just not a lot of crowd unity in general at the FFD anymore. I think alot of it has to do with the announcer.

I'd like to see the stupid "And that's another Bison First down" thing killed off. "Move those chains" has been around for years and had great participation before this new thing. Now you have half doing one thing and half doing another.

Announcer also should stop kickoff banter at "Everybody up for the kickoff..." crowd response should be "The March is On"

As an occasional visitor to the FargoDome and probably being a little more objective than some of you (at least I have NOTHING in common with that Lakes character), I think Herd Mentality is on to something with his comments. When you have an announcer leading cheers, you risk losing spontaneous cheers. People wait for the announcer to say "And that's another..." etc.

In any event, from this outsider's point of view, I think the crowds at the FargoDome are as good as the crowds in most college stadiums. There may be a few better but there certainly are many, many worse. People bitch about the old people remaining in their seats at every college stadium. (What's old? Age or attitude? I'm 54 but stand as much as I can at games.)

Now, I'd be happy to tell you where to put the cannon and the fireworks.

ndsubison1
10-07-2008, 01:24 AM
how about we get rid of cheering all together, how about a quiet zone for the whole dome, the students shouldn't be able to cheer or yell

onbison09
10-07-2008, 02:56 AM
"Defense don't work" is a good one. I don't have a problem with it as long as there's no cussing or racial stuff, etc.

Jdubs21
10-07-2008, 03:33 AM

u must not sit in or listen to the student section

MAKBison
10-07-2008, 03:42 AM
The band is miced, so they would be the perfect ones to TEACH the lame asses how to chant (whatever the chant may be). The band and the students would lead the chant as it is being displayed on the four Jumbotrons. Finally the cheer squad would physically go into the silent sections to encourage the pc crowed to participate.

The silent sections are easy to ID as the have the most green and blue in them.

westnodak93bison
10-07-2008, 11:25 PM
remember the flying snowballs, I think it was a playoff game against NW Missiouri St. at Dacotah Field. Nobody said a word to the students/fans who pelted the NWMSU fans from what I can remember.

rutlandbison
10-08-2008, 01:28 AM
how about we get rid of cheering all together, how about a quiet zone for the whole dome, the students shouldn't be able to cheer or yell

Haha?:confused:

UTH
10-08-2008, 01:47 AM

There might be a stroke of genius in this idea. The silence could be astonishingly deafening if a sold out FFD were to remain absolutely silent throughout the game. I'm thinking it would creep most normal people out, especially if their imaginations and visions of strange cults, etc., take over. Even still, I'm pretty sure that it would only last for one game, after which it would become a nationwide punchline.

Just please let some other team try it first...:hide:

BigBison
10-08-2008, 07:49 AM
In any event, from this outsider's point of view, I think the crowds at the FargoDome are as good as the crowds in most college stadiums. There may be a few better but there certainly are many, many worse. People bitch about the old people remaining in their seats at every college stadium. (What's old? Age or attitude? I'm 54 but stand as much as I can at games.)

Now, I'd be happy to tell you where to put the cannon and the fireworks.

I have to agree with you that the Fargodome is one of the loudest stadiums in FCS football, we have one of the best student sections in FCS. Some of these people here need to remeber that even at LSU's Tiger stadium not everyone stands. I know we have alot of potential to be even more loud and rockin. But we already have one of the best atmosphere's in I-AA. I'd say we need to somehow keep student section full for four quaters, unless if its a blow out. Or keep the dome full of people. I'm not saying that the dome atmosphere is fine, we can always do better but lets not forget how good we already are!