PDA

View Full Version : Hot Topic of Discussion: Playing a Full Game

CaBisonFan
10-05-2008, 05:39 AM
Throughout many of the threads, this is a common 'thread' that shows up almost all the time.

I will admit that it has been frustrating to me too...as much of a homer as I am. When I drove up from the San Diego area to Cal Poly last fall I probably saw 7 or 8 minutes of high-grade play by the Bison. The win was a miracle, and beyond thrilling to win, but most of the game stunk.

I think that the Bison got into a 'Steve will save us' mentality...and actually got away with it because of Walker's Houdini show.

I don't think we met our potential at either Minnesota game...not even close. Those should have been 2 or 3 touchdown wins. Maybe Ball State was solid....a guess of sorts. Can't remember. Central Michigan?

I saw potential today. But I agree with many writers, that we won't be a serious contender unless we learn how to use 7 or 8 cylinders.

What's the story?

My take: The 'potential' is outstanding. That's the good news. But a few minutes here and there won't make it in the MVFC.

99Bison
10-05-2008, 05:43 AM
I would agree with the overly lax attitude/feeling that has been there since mid last year. It's great that you have confidence that you can come back and all, but still... The staff needs to figure out how to get the guys intesity and focus up to start the games... some sort of back against wall mentality needs to applied to starting off decent.

CaBisonFan
10-05-2008, 05:49 AM
I would agree with the overly lax attitude/feeling that has been there since mid last year. It's great that you have confidence that you can come back and all, but still... The staff needs to figure out how to get the guys intesity and focus up to start the games... some sort of back against wall mentality needs to applied to starting off decent.

I agree. Why to we have to handicap almost every team by spotting them a score or two in almost every game? Looks like a Vikings game.

Is it domitis?

BisoninNWMN
10-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Stupid penalties do not help either. Lardinois's penalty cost us a touchdown. MLB- Henry got "schooled" yesterday. He is probably our best option but he got pancaked more than once yesterday.

Gee, I wonder what this team could do if they played a full 4 quarters:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Good 2nd half.....next week should be a good one

CaBisonFan
10-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Stupid penalties do not help either. Lardinois's penalty cost us a touchdown. MLB- Henry got "schooled" yesterday. He is probably our best option but he got pancaked more than once yesterday.

Gee, I wonder what this team could do if they played a full 4 quarters:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Good 2nd half.....next week should be a good one

Seems like a some of those penalties are written off as 'aggressive play.' I don't buy all of that.

Aggessive play under control would be a nice combination.

westnodak93bison
10-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Lets be realistic. Getting a team to play well for a whole game is pretty difficult. Bohl and Lennon are both great coaches and neither one has been able to get their teams firing on all eight cylinders for four quarters against a quality apponent. This year anyway.
We must realize these teams are pretty damn good and for us to play well the whole game means we must beat the other team in all aspects of football.
Not easy. Just keep getting wins and peak at the end of the year.

BisoninNWMN
10-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Since they took the redshirt of Preston Evans.....why not let him play some. Teams will keep running right up the middle until we can stop it!! Defense played a lot better in 2nd half but still needs work.

BisonNeil
10-05-2008, 03:34 PM
MLB- Henry got "schooled" yesterday. He is probably our best option but he got pancaked more than once yesterday.

I keep hoping Bussey is going to get some time in the middle to spell Henry. Unfortunately he missed most of fall camp because his paper work from the JUCO didn't arrive but you point is taken. We need help in the middle and TH is fragile as well.

I didn't see much substitution in the LB corp this game. Did I miss something? DL and DBs were going in and out, but I didn't see anybody but Maresh, Humber and Henry play LB, or am I blind?

BisonNeil
10-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Lets be realistic. Getting a team to play well for a whole game is pretty difficult.

While I generally agree with this I think it should be easy to get more than 2 good quarters out of the last 10.

I thought Lennon's quote that he thought his team lost focus when they went up 20-0. I think that is what happened to the Bison when they went up on WY 13-0. I think they got re-focused at halftime yesterday. I hope they can keep their focus for W Ill. Herb Donaldson is going to bring a load to the dome, he ran for 273 yds against Missouri State. Wow...

A1pigskin
10-05-2008, 03:55 PM
I think being focused has a huge part of winning. But not the only part. We need to work on stopping the run and in the 2nd half, I think we did an ok job, but more work to do.

CaBisonFan
10-05-2008, 08:04 PM
I think being focused has a huge part of winning. But not the only part. We need to work on stopping the run and in the 2nd half, I think we did an ok job, but more work to do.

Phil Hansen was talking about a bright future for two of our young defensive ends. Says they have all of the physical aspects to become big bookends for the defensive line.

Who would he be talking about?

RunDMc34
10-05-2008, 09:07 PM
Phil Hansen was talking about a bright future for two of our young defensive ends. Says they have all of the physical aspects to become big bookends for the defensive line.

Who would he be talking about?

Im sure he is talking about Garrett Johnson, and Coulter Boyer - Also Compton went out with an injury yesterday if im not mistaken any word on what that was? Looked like maybe a sprained ankle but im guessing.

extremerouge
10-05-2008, 10:10 PM
Im sure he is talking about Garrett Johnson, and Coulter Boyer - Also Compton went out with an injury yesterday if im not mistaken any word on what that was? Looked like maybe a sprained ankle but im guessing.
Hallstrom said Coach Bohl said (sorry about the he said she said stuff) that it looked pretty bad...maybe 4 weeks???

X-Factor
10-06-2008, 03:48 AM

it is definitely knee related. He walked off at half-time but limped a good deal. Hopefully it is just a contusion or sprain, or a slight meniscus tear that can be easily repaired.

tony
10-06-2008, 11:03 AM
Man, it'd make me sick to see another senior have their season cut short (get better soon, Nick!)

Anyway, back to the "full game" topic: It's not like NDSU has had a lot of good first halves (at least not when playing a quality DI opponent). Here are some half-time scores for the better DI teams NDSU played each year (2003 had a small sample size):

2-24 Montana
7-17 UC Davis

0-6 Northern Colorado
7-13 Cal-Poly
7-17 Northwestern State
22-0 UC Davis (hehe, what happened here?)
14-14 SDSU

7-13 Montana State
0-27 Cal Poly
0-3 UC Davis
0-9 Southern Illinois

13-14 Ball State
14-14 Georgia Southern
6-3 Minnesota
0-24 UC Davis
28-14 Cal Poly (Poly did lead 14-0 after the first quarter)
10-14 SDSU

17-14 Sam Houston State
16-7 Central Michigan
31-21 Western Illinois
28-10 UC Davis
17-14 Minnesota
6-14 Cal Poly
10-20 SDSU

10-0 Wyoming
3-16 Youngstown
7-20 Southern Illinois

That's 27 games... in 16, NDSU was held to 10 or under at the half. Ironically, NDSU's best first halves seem to be against FBS teams with some exceptions like Cal Poly's 2006 meltdown in Fargo.

If you take out Walker's senior year, then NDSU has averaged exactly 7 points in the first half in these games!

Now, I can see a team coming out flat once in a while but not that often. There has to be something else going on. Maybe NDSU's superior conditioning doesn't show up until the second half? Maybe NDSU opened up the playbook in the second half? Maybe it's the defense that steps up and makes adjustments at the half?

Whatever the case, NDSU is going to get absolutely stomped next weekend unless the fellas figure something out.

On the plus side, being chronically behind has set up some spectacular second-half comebacks :)

imported_Bisongold
10-06-2008, 12:16 PM
I've often wondered why it takes until half-time to make adjustments. Are we understaffed in the coaching booth? One thing I don't like is that Perles is the O-coodinator and also the O-line coach. I have been told that this is true for the games also. Perhaps he has an assistant O-line coach that contributes greatly during the games. I don't see how he can do both effectively. I don't know, however, who is in the booth spotting. I would assume Vigan, but there could be someone else also. I have never liked this set-up, and think this may contribute to the slow adjustments. However, it is real hard to argue with 20-2 record, but this may have something to do with the slow starts.

bisonmike2
10-06-2008, 03:20 PM
I don't know if this had anything to do with it but a couple times I've heard coaches say, "We went in at the 1/2 and came out going back to our basics." Do you think maybe they are trying to get too cute with some of the game plans? At least maybe on defense.

imported_Bisongold
10-06-2008, 03:25 PM
I think I heard that exact statement after the UC Davis comeback. We went back to the basics. My concern and question is, why does it take till halftime to adjust?

OldBison
10-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Man, it'd make me sick to see another senior have their season cut short (get better soon, Nick!)

Anyway, back to the "full game" topic: It's not like NDSU has had a lot of good first halves (at least not when playing a quality DI opponent). Here are some half-time scores for the better DI teams NDSU played each year (2003 had a small sample size):

2-24 Montana
7-17 UC Davis

0-6 Northern Colorado
7-13 Cal-Poly
7-17 Northwestern State
22-0 UC Davis (hehe, what happened here?)
14-14 SDSU

7-13 Montana State
0-27 Cal Poly
0-3 UC Davis
0-9 Southern Illinois

13-14 Ball State
14-14 Georgia Southern
6-3 Minnesota
0-24 UC Davis
28-14 Cal Poly (Poly did lead 14-0 after the first quarter)
10-14 SDSU

17-14 Sam Houston State
16-7 Central Michigan
31-21 Western Illinois
28-10 UC Davis
17-14 Minnesota
6-14 Cal Poly
10-20 SDSU

10-0 Wyoming
3-16 Youngstown
7-20 Southern Illinois

That's 27 games... in 16, NDSU was held to 10 or under at the half. Ironically, NDSU's best first halves seem to be against FBS teams with some exceptions like Cal Poly's 2006 meltdown in Fargo.

If you take out Walker's senior year, then NDSU has averaged exactly 7 points in the first half in these games!

Now, I can see a team coming out flat once in a while but not that often. There has to be something else going on. Maybe NDSU's superior conditioning doesn't show up until the second half? Maybe NDSU opened up the playbook in the second half? Maybe it's the defense that steps up and makes adjustments at the half?

Whatever the case, NDSU is going to get absolutely stomped next weekend unless the fellas figure something out.

On the plus side, being chronically behind has set up some spectacular second-half comebacks :)

A very interesting and great analysis!

I'm not surprised the Bison come out flat in the first half. After watching several of Bohl's pre-game speeches on his show I'd come out flat also :hide: