PDA

View Full Version : Kickoffs?

BraxtonT
10-05-2008, 05:24 AM
Anybody as confused as I am about what we are trying to accomplish by kicking to the 25 yard line, thus allowing the other team to get great field position?

I know the coverage hasn't been great this year, but what message is being sent to the team when they don't dare to kick off deep?

I feel the start of the game is not the time to 'allow' the other team wonderful position. I say 'challenge' your players to make a play.

99Bison
10-05-2008, 05:47 AM
Tend to agree with you...

For this game... Their kickoff return man had something like 3 td's in 3 games and others returned a long ways.

CaBisonFan
10-05-2008, 05:53 AM
Anybody as confused as I am about what we are trying to accomplish by kicking to the 25 yard line, thus allowing the other team to get great field position?

I know the coverage hasn't been great this year, but what message is being sent to the team when they don't dare to kick off deep?

I feel the start of the game is not the time to 'allow' the other team wonderful position. I say 'challenge' your players to make a play.

Ah...what's wrong with giving the other team a chance? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Message needs to be sent immediately.

'WE WILL DOMINATE & HURT YOU'

MNLonghorn10
10-05-2008, 06:09 AM
I dont think the special teams has been great, especially in the AP game.

I think they were trying to kick it away from #21, Warner? I think thats his name, shifty little speedster. I prayed theyd kick it to #40 which they did...and he fumbled it. It was obvious they were kicking away from #21..either squibbing it or intentionally booting it to #40

roadwarrior
10-05-2008, 06:44 AM
Did anyone notice how #40 and #21 lined up togther, and constantly switched sides while we were lining up for the kickoff? Great move I thought on their part to have our kicker not know which side #21 would be.

BisoninNWMN
10-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Kick it out-of-bounds and put it on the 35 instead of pooching it and giving it to them on the 45-50.....or kick it to him and let our coverage get him.

IzzyFlexion
10-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Who know....with Bibeau's poor day with field goals, maybe he shanked it a little off the tee. I"m being serious! Maybe it's like golf, a bad round is usually a direct result of a mechanical problem with making good contact.

twowheels
10-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Shared this on the Field Goals tread as well. Quote from today's Forum.

"As a field goal kicker, it was not a game Shawn Bibeau will remember. He misfired on all three of his attempts.

But his ability to kick the ball away from Southern Illinois standout kickoff returner Larry Warner was a key in NDSU’s win."

Mr. Burgundy
10-05-2008, 02:06 PM
totally undependable for field goals. I hope we are recruiting. I expected more out of him. He is a junior now and has been starting for three years.

westnodak93bison
10-05-2008, 02:59 PM
hey, how about Gary Williams. He did a pretty good job yesterday on kick off returns and Belquist had a nice punt return. Too bad Shamen is out, best of luck to him.

d3boys
10-05-2008, 03:39 PM
I,m not going to defend bibeau,s crappy field goal kicking but
on kickoffs he was doing what he was told to do by the coaches
and apparently was successful
we still need to recruit a kicker

A1pigskin
10-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Not sure why. My first thought was so Larry doesn't get to full speed.