PDA

View Full Version : SIU game analysis

bisoneer
10-05-2008, 04:19 AM
I'm watching the game again (DVD) and yea the score at half was a shocker, but the 2nd half was a real taste of Bison football. Roehl gets it rolling and Merten's really plays like a man. He is hurried many times in the first half and is getting blitzed constantly and has no INTs!. With 5 min. left in the game he is in the grasp and somehow manages to get it to a reciever (#46), what a great display of strength, determination and athleticism. SIU got the zebra's PO'd over chippy and mouthy play early so they really paid for it in the 2nd half with yellow laundry all over them, great for the herd too as the Salukis really shot themselves in the foot and the Bison gained confidence and moved the ball with ease on many plays. We should have easily had 9 more pts. due to the missed FGs but we won it going away anyhow, Bibeau will get it together, have faith. Nice to hear from Drago doing some halftime TV analysis, wonder if he is keeping his leg in shape for another NFL opportunity.

CaBisonFan
10-05-2008, 04:29 AM
Lots of good comments.

I thought that one of the game-changers was an incompletion...a deep pattern to Heck. We finally stretched the field.

The Bison may have found a building block for the season starting late in the first half. Something changed.

The Bison looked dominant when they got it together. Maybe they can figure out how to get it together for an entire game. That would be scary. I'll bet that the MVFC would prefer that they 'not' figure it out. The talent is incredible.

They have to learn how to use it more often.

Good post.

Jay
10-05-2008, 04:32 AM
I'm watching the game again (DVD) and yea the score at half was a shocker, but the 2nd half was a real taste of Bison football. Roehl gets it rolling and Merten's really plays like a man. He is hurried many times in the first half and is getting blitzed constantly and has no INTs!. With 5 min. left in the game he is in the grasp and somehow manages to get it to a reciever (#46), what a great display of strength, determination and athleticism. SIU got the zebra's PO'd over chippy and mouthy play early so they really paid for it in the 2nd half with yellow laundry all over them, great for the herd too as the Salukis really shot themselves in the foot and the Bison gained confidence and moved the ball with ease on many plays. We should have easily had 9 more pts. due to the missed FGs but we won it going away anyhow, Bibeau will get it together, have faith. Nice to hear from Drago doing some halftime TV analysis, wonder if he is keeping his leg in shape for another NFL opportunity.

Drago is keeping in shape., he'll get his opportunity.. but also having a great time... tailgating?

bisoneer
10-05-2008, 04:34 AM
Mert threw a nice pass on that play and Kohl actually had it for a split second but he did not hold on too it, but yes it did stretch the field nicely.

westnodak93bison
10-05-2008, 04:34 AM
dont forget SIU kind of helped us with some timely penalties

MN_BISON
10-05-2008, 04:40 AM

Yes they did just like NDSU helped them in the first half, that late hit out of bounds lead to a TD.

Bison Dan
10-05-2008, 03:19 PM

How about our int that when to their 7 when Joe got called for PF. Zero points out of that whole thing.

BisonNeil
10-05-2008, 03:26 PM

I was told by people who sit behind the opposing bench that the extinct Egyptian dogs were very chippy and mouthy and pissed off the fans and the Bison players a lot. I don't like teams like that. I am sure Lardinois' mouth off that got him flagged was a sign of frustration from taking that crap. Unfortunately we came up totally empty on that series off a great interception by Schommer because of that penaly.

What struck me and what I had forgotten about Lennon was what a whiner he is. I watched across the field as he constantly gave the refs an ear full. Many times it seemed as though he wasn't interested in the game as much as he was working the refs. Don't get me wrong, he is a great coach, but the whining gets to me. It worked though, NDSU was flagged a lot and there were some phantom calls in my opinion, like the pass interference on Bowman in the end zone.

IzzyFlexion
10-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Mert threw a nice pass on that play and Kohl actually had it for a split second but he did not hold on too it, but yes it did stretch the field nicely.
The defender made a great play on that one. (getting his hand in there at the last second) I also agree about the field stretching concept. That is terribly important to be able to show that additional dimension.

A1pigskin
10-05-2008, 04:22 PM
All good posts here. Roehl offered up some damn good motivation for the crowd, especially when SIU thought he was down and Roehl kept driving and got a first down. That happened right in front of me and it happened fast. He is so much fun to watch.

The last kick to us, does anyone know why the refs were gathered and what was being discussed for 5 minutes? They gathered on the Bison sidelines.

BisonNeil
10-05-2008, 04:39 PM
The last kick to us, does anyone know why the refs were gathered and what was being discussed for 5 minutes? They gathered on the Bison sidelines.

Are you talking about the onside kick at the end of the game?

If so, that was right in front of me. First they had to determine whether or not the ball went off of Tyler Roehl or a SIU player, they discussed that for a very short time and it was agreed that it was a SIU player. Then they discussed whether or not it went 10 yds or not before it was touched. It went about 9.5 yds. Then they discussed whether or not it was illegal procedure or illegal touching of the ball, one is a 5 yder the other is a 10 yder. This last point was most of the discussion. Bohl was very helpful during it all altough they didn't agree with the points he was making. I think they blew the call, it should have been a 10 yd penalty for illegal touching.

99Bison
10-05-2008, 06:19 PM
A couple thoughts on the game... the non-obvious ones.
1. Paschal hit the hole in this game and ran tough instead of a little hesitation or dancing. Perhaps there was some focus on that for him during the bye week.
2. Simlarly nice to see a our return man attempt to get a head of steam up field instead of dancing and waiting for a monster hole to accelerate.
3. Nice to see the linebackers finally getting a significant number of tackles.
4. Offense actually moved the ball fairly well all day. The mix of rush/pass developed well. There was only one punt - and a very good one at that.
5. Liked the wearing down effect of pounding the ball early and often and using the pass to get first downs when needed.
6. A sense of urgency from the get go would be nice one of these days.

Yo
10-05-2008, 07:34 PM
[quote=BisonNeil;216289]I was told by people who sit behind the opposing bench that the extinct Egyptian dogs were very chippy and mouthy and pissed off the fans and the Bison players a lot.

We sit behind the opposing team (section 17) and I agree about the mouthy attitude. I don't know if it pissed off the Bison players but it definately pissed off the lovely Mrs. Yo.:paperbag: But she got back at them shouting "35 unanswered points" at them numerous times.

Fightin' Bison
10-05-2008, 08:25 PM
Lots of good comments.
The Bison looked dominant when they got it together. Maybe they can figure out how to get it together for an entire game. That would be scary. I'll bet that the MVFC would prefer that they 'not' figure it out. The talent is incredible.

I'm still waiting for proof of dominance and incredible talent. To me, the Bison look like a pretty good team, but far from dominant. Incredible talent should lead to some incredible stats against good competition. The Bison are still not there. The QB situation is still shaky, leading to a lot of run-stuffing by opposing D's since they don't respect the pass. The Bison run D still gets manhandled on the interior line, at LB and SS far too often. There are a lot of baby steps between where the Bison are now and dominance.

99Bison
10-05-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm still waiting for proof of dominance and incredible talent. To me, the Bison look like a pretty good team, but far from dominant. Incredible talent should lead to some incredible stats against good competition. The Bison are still not there. The QB situation is still shaky, leading to a lot of run-stuffing by opposing D's since they don't respect the pass. The Bison run D still gets manhandled on the interior line, at LB and SS far too often. There are a lot of baby steps between where the Bison are now and dominance.

Not sure about this comment in whole, 35 unanswered points and about 14 yards on D given up until garbage time? Sounds like dominance for about 35 minutes.

imabison
10-05-2008, 08:38 PM
I was told by people who sit behind the opposing bench that the extinct Egyptian dogs were very chippy and mouthy and pissed off the fans and the Bison players a lot. I don't like teams like that. I am sure Lardinois' mouth off that got him flagged was a sign of frustration from taking that crap. Unfortunately we came up totally empty on that series off a great interception by Schommer because of that penaly.

What struck me and what I had forgotten about Lennon was what a whiner he is. I watched across the field as he constantly gave the refs an ear full. Many times it seemed as though he wasn't interested in the game as much as he was working the refs. Don't get me wrong, he is a great coach, but the whining gets to me. It worked though, NDSU was flagged a lot and there were some phantom calls in my opinion, like the pass interference on Bowman in the end zone.
That fact was noticed so much that one of the group invented a short song which was being sung. To the tune of "what do you do with the drunken sailor"

Look by the ref for the whining coach, look by the ref for the whining coach.

Joel Heitkamp was in the area until the score was 35 - 20, but we think the song drove him away.

Thunder_Struck
10-05-2008, 09:13 PM
By far the biggest mistake in this game was that SIU only got the ball in Warner's hands 1 time in the 4th Quarter.

RunDMc34
10-05-2008, 09:20 PM
I agree there were a couple of game changing moments in this game

1. Roehl spins stays on his feet and gets a first down and we score a TD before half. A man play by a MAN.

2. Going offside on the FG to give us the TD. Wow what a dumb ass play by them.

3. ALL Schulty does is catch TDs and get 1st downs. This kid is clutch and will become a big time receiver for us next season.

4. Voitlander finds a way to get on the Football. Huge play by the RB on special teams ( I didnt see who made the hit but props to them too.)

Shamen is still overrated as a kick returner, Williams makes me not miss him for one second.

skinny_uncle
10-05-2008, 09:42 PM
Analysis from Southern Illinois:

OUCH!

A1pigskin
10-06-2008, 12:35 AM
Are you talking about the onside kick at the end of the game?

If so, that was right in front of me. First they had to determine whether or not the ball went off of Tyler Roehl or a SIU player, they discussed that for a very short time and it was agreed that it was a SIU player. Then they discussed whether or not it went 10 yds or not before it was touched. It went about 9.5 yds. Then they discussed whether or not it was illegal procedure or illegal touching of the ball, one is a 5 yder the other is a 10 yder. This last point was most of the discussion. Bohl was very helpful during it all altough they didn't agree with the points he was making. I think they blew the call, it should have been a 10 yd penalty for illegal touching.

Yep, that was the kick. From my angle SIU touched the ball first and it did look short, but barely. Thanks.

A1pigskin
10-06-2008, 12:38 AM
I agree there were a couple of game changing moments in this game

1. Roehl spins stays on his feet and gets a first down and we score a TD before half. A man play by a MAN.

2. Going offside on the FG to give us the TD. Wow what a dumb ass play by them.

3. ALL Schulty does is catch TDs and get 1st downs. This kid is clutch and will become a big time receiver for us next season.

4. Voitlander finds a way to get on the Football. Huge play by the RB on special teams ( I didnt see who made the hit but props to them too.)

Shamen is still overrated as a kick returner, Williams makes me not miss him for one second.

Number 1 was my favorite. That was all guts and determination. :D :D :D

SaskBison
10-06-2008, 01:24 AM
Did anybody else notice Drago's facial expression when UND was mentioned during the halftime analysis? haha it was priceless!!!!! right on queue, had to rewind the DVR for a doubletake.

X-Factor
10-06-2008, 01:26 AM
Why isn't Shultenover starting!!!! I love Belquist but from what I'm seeing Shultenover is clearly the better wideout and it's not close.

roadwarrior
10-06-2008, 01:27 AM
Drago was on the tube? That explains his pin stripe suit he was wearing last evening.