PDA

View Full Version : Steve had been doing it all along...

99Bison
10-01-2008, 03:24 PM
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/sports/1192337,4_2_JO30_GRIDWALKER_S1.article

aces1180
10-01-2008, 03:29 PM
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/sports/1192337,4_2_JO30_GRIDWALKER_S1.article

Nice find!

SDbison
10-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Excellent article 99Bison. Rep points to you!
Got to love Walker's comments at the end of the article about NDSU, Fargo and Bison fans.

bisonmike2
10-01-2008, 03:44 PM
I can't believe how awesome that kid was. It was on honor to to be able to watch in person, one of the true NDSU greats. Clutch will certainly be one of the NDSU legends that I will describe to my son when he gets older.

/any way we can suit him up before the game on Saturday? If he keeps his helmet on and maybe wears a visor nobody will no it's him right?

cbline
10-01-2008, 04:01 PM
I wonder if Steve might be a valuable connection to continue a pipeline of quality players from there to NDSU.

GOB1SON
10-01-2008, 04:14 PM
Thereafter, in a semifinal game for the ages, the Porters traveled to Hinsdale Central. An overflow crowd watched as Walker drove the Porters 97 yards during the closing minutes for the winning touchdown -- a 4-yard pass to Spencer Jensen. The winning play occurred on a fourth-and-goal situation.

That doesn't sound too familiar, does it?

The kid is a winner.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-01-2008, 05:26 PM
I miss seeing him on the field....but damn was it fun when he was on the field!!!

BisonNeil
10-01-2008, 06:26 PM
A great quote from Walker:

"We knew that we could be pretty good in 2002," Walker said. "But we also realized that we had to do in on the field. Thinking that you are going to be good, and then actually accomplishing it on the field, are sometimes two different things.

"We entered that season with some optimism. We were confident. But we were not overconfident by any stretch of the imagination."

I think this is important thought because I for one thought maybe the Bison were overconfident in the 2nd half of WY game after they took the opening kickoff to score a field goal (they lost focus) which carried over to YSU. That thought of overconfidence may have been confirmed by the quote in today's article in the Forum by Kolpack:

“I think we thought we were better than what we were,” said defensive end Nick Compton.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=216728&section=Sports&freebie_check&CFID=95635188&CFTOKEN=69916709&jsessionid=8830cdcacbd44e365a72

NDSUFan_Sav
10-01-2008, 06:49 PM
nice post B-Neil, hopefully the rest of the season is completely different from the last 2 weeks

IzzyFlexion
10-01-2008, 10:30 PM
I was at most of those games. (my kids go to Lockport HS)
Steve was first team all state his senior year and Chicago Tribune Football Prep player of the year. With 869 high schools in the state, (more than a third of them in Chicagoland) these are two very coveted honors in Illinois HS football.

lakesbison
10-01-2008, 11:09 PM
I HEARD THAT STEVE WAS CONTACTED BY A NFL TEAM...last week.

a former player told me this, Im not quite believing it, but WE saw Steve Walker out and about last friday and these 2 were talking......sooooo.... I'd love to see some confirmation somehow without me coming out and asking Steve....

any help?

A1pigskin
10-02-2008, 01:54 AM
Nice find!

Nice find. Steve is a stand up guy. He was really fun to watch on the field. It sure would be nice to see Steve holding a clip board on the sidelines for the NFL.

A1pigskin
10-02-2008, 01:54 AM

a former player told me this, Im not quite believing it, but WE saw Steve Walker out and about last friday and these 2 were talking......sooooo.... I'd love to see some confirmation somehow without me coming out and asking Steve....

any help?

The Vikes could use a new QB, and Babich for coach.....

Herd Mentality
10-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Steve's Jersey was "retired" at Chubs last night. They were putting up a bunch of framed jerseys of past Chubs employees who played for the Bison.

Twentysix
10-05-2008, 01:21 AM

any help?

Has their been any merit to this?

Herd Mentality
10-07-2008, 04:43 AM
Steve update :D

While I was at Chubs Pub last week, I had two conversations with Teddy while they were hanging up Steve's jersey.

1) How apparently Sambini historcially can never keep Fargo-Moorhead in enough Busch Light kegs during Bison Homecoming and the old UND/NDSU games...
2) That the last time I saw Walker he sure didn't look like he was in game shape...

Flash forward to Saturday morning pre-parade celebration at Chubs.

"Herd Mentality, please report to the offsale" comes over the intercom. I walk into the offsale to find Teddy behind the counter and Steve picking up a few items for homecoming. I freeze.

Steve looks at me and says "So, I heard you think I'm fat!"

All I could come up with... "I thought you'd be taller"

Best Homecoming....EVER.

TransAmBison
10-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Steve update :D

While I was at Chubs Pub last week, I had two conversations with Teddy while they were hanging up Steve's jersey.

1) How apparently Sambini historcially can never keep Fargo-Moorhead in enough Busch Light kegs during Bison Homecoming and the old UND/NDSU games...
2) That the last time I saw Walker he sure didn't look like he was in game shape...

Flash forward to Saturday morning pre-parade celebration at Chubs.

"Herd Mentality, please report to the offsale" comes over the intercom. I walk into the offsale to find Teddy behind the counter and Steve picking up a few items for homecoming. I freeze.

Steve looks at me and says "So, I heard you think I'm fat!"

All I could come up with... "I thought you'd be taller"

Best Homecoming....EVER.
:rofl: :rofl:

missingnumber7
10-08-2008, 12:02 AM
For those of you interested in a Steve Walker sighting, he is officiating football in the area. I worked a soph game in moorhead with him 2 weeks ago. So for those of you with kids on sub varsity teams, or varsity teams keep you eyes peeled.

Mr. Burgundy
10-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Herd Mentality....good stuff. I am dying. "I thought you would be taller." Great work.