PDA

View Full Version : Home/Road Wins in MVFC

GOB1SON
09-28-2008, 11:00 PM
It is really hard to win on the road against current MVFC teams.

The table that is attached is a simple overview of the won/lost records, home and away, for the 9 MFVC teams over the past 4 seasons, not including 2008, and including playoff games. Keep in mind when I say league, I am not referring to the Gateway, as I have not included Western Kentucky and have included NDSU and SDSU's records as members of the Great West.

Overall the league won 57% of its games from 2004-2007. But it won 71% of it's home games and only 43% of it's road games. 63% of it's total wins happened at home.

NDSU leads the way in protecting its home turf, winning 90% of the time at home, however YSU, SDSU, UNI, and SIU all win greater than 80% of their home slates.

NDSU, UNI, and SIU also won greater than 68% of the time on the road, while SDSU and YSU struggled more when traveling over the past 4 years.

Interesting is that 73% of YSU's wins over the last four years came at home.

Another way to examine the data is % of losses that occurred at home. Only 22% of NDSU losses over the last 4 years occurred in the FD (2 out of 9). However, 38% of UNI's losses over the past four years were at home (5/13) and 33% of SIU's losses were at home. However, both of these teams do have playoff losses at home, so that does affect the percentages.

Bottom line is that most teams, even the lower teams in the division, tend to defend their home fields very well.

So far in 2008, the numbers for the teams in the MVFC are an overall record of 15-20 (43%), and 12-4 at home (75%). However, several of the away losses are to FBS teams, so keep that in mind.

So, road wins in this conference are at a premium, and we only have one really difficult road game left (with apologizes to Il. St. and MSU).

tjbison
09-29-2008, 01:07 AM

The table that is attached is a simple overview of the won/lost records, home and away, for the 9 MFVC teams over the past 4 seasons, not including 2008, and including playoff games. Keep in mind when I say league, I am not referring to the Gateway, as I have not included Western Kentucky and have included NDSU and SDSU's records as members of the Great West.

Overall the league won 57% of its games from 2004-2007. But it won 71% of it's home games and only 43% of it's road games. 63% of it's total wins happened at home.

NDSU leads the way in protecting its home turf, winning 90% of the time at home, however YSU, SDSU, UNI, and SIU all win greater than 80% of their home slates.

NDSU, UNI, and SIU also won greater than 68% of the time on the road, while SDSU and YSU struggled more when traveling over the past 4 years.

Another way to examine the data is % of losses that occurred at home. Only 22% of NDSU losses over the last 4 years occurred in the FD (2 out of 9). However, 38% of UNI's losses over the past four years were at home (5/13) and 33% of SIU's losses were at home. However, both of these teams do have playoff losses at home, so that does affect the percentages.

Bottom line is that most teams, even the lower teams in the division, tend to defend their home fields very well.

So far in 2008, the numbers for the teams in the MVFC are an overall record of 15-20 (43%), and 12-4 at home (75%). However, several of the away losses are to FBS teams, so keep that in mind.

So, road wins in this conference are at a premium, and we only have one really difficult road game left (with apologizes to Il. St. and MSU).

I believe alot of people thought YSU was gonna be one of these also:hide:

bison dad
09-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Great info. Its refreshing to see someone post something that isn't driven by sentiment. I knew this league was gonna be an a$$ kicker and those stats drive home the importance of defending home turf and playing great on the road i.e at UNI.

Bisonguy
09-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Wanna break down conference only games?

The overall numbers are probably slightly skewed due to more tomato cans at home, and more difficult (FBS and upper FCS home/homes) on the road.

GOB1SON
09-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Wanna break down conference only games?

The overall numbers are probably slightly skewed due to more tomato cans at home, and more difficult (FBS and upper FCS home/homes) on the road.

I'm working on it. It is almost done, but it is harder, because I actually have to mine through some of the media guides to get all the info.

I'll post it late tonight or early tomorrow.

HandoEX
09-29-2008, 09:13 PM
I'm working on it. It is almost done, but it is harder, because I actually have to mine through some of the media guides to get all the info.

Cool project, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

skinny_uncle
09-30-2008, 12:04 AM

Cool. Now I know who has the most wins since 2004.

tjbison
09-30-2008, 12:16 AM

Is this your submission for a semester Project??

Must be some Bisonville nomination for this isn't there?

GOB1SON
09-30-2008, 01:01 AM
No. I am a scientist, so I like mining through data. I am in Florida, away from my wife, and while watching the Vikes on Sunday decided I needed to do something else.

Anyway, I will get the conference stuff up as soon as I have it done.

Oh and the second part is that while I like posting here, most of it is pretty fluffy, "I hate UND" and "The Bison Rule" type of crap, so I wondered if anybody on here would appreciate something like this. I will say there have been very few responses to it.

However, it is interesting to note that when I posted in the FM restaurant section about my drinking habits in Fargo from 1992, it sparked a 30+ post debate on what the best drink special was in Fargo in the early 90's.

Just an observation! My ol' History teacher used to say that "times change, but human nature doesnt'"

Anyway, I'll get the conference stuff up soon, and then I also have a few more ideas for data interpretation.

Like I said, I am stuck in Florida and don't have anything else to do at night.

tjbison
09-30-2008, 01:13 AM
Like I said, I am stuck in Florida and don't have anything else to do at night.

You could always go back to you 1992 habits:D

GOB1SON
09-30-2008, 01:20 AM
You could always go back to you 1992 habits:D

I wish. I live in a dry county!!!

The only booze served is beer at a Ruby Tuesdays out on I-10. I pretty much have their menu memorized, and in fact just returned from there this evening!

skinny_uncle
09-30-2008, 02:47 AM

You might have found this website useful.

College Football Data Warehouse (http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/)

GOB1SON
09-30-2008, 03:15 AM
You might have found this website useful.

College Football Data Warehouse (http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/)

THANKS! I looked all over the web for this info, but Google DID NOT help me out.

This is very helpful. I really appreciate it.

skinny_uncle
09-30-2008, 03:33 AM
THANKS! I looked all over the web for this info, but Google DID NOT help me out.

This is very helpful. I really appreciate it.
No problem.

GOB1SON
10-02-2008, 03:59 AM
Here is the conference records of all the teams in the MVFC, both home and away over the last three years (2005 through 2007).

Sorry it took a day or so longer than I anticipated. I got sidetracked doing some regression on wins/losses and points scored within conference and trying to predict wins/losses over the course of a conference season.

If I can get that to work, I will share that as well.

And if anybody can help me get an Excel file to upload onto the site, I would appreciate it. I am having to save my excel files as pictures and trying to upload them with any quality is a pain in the butt. It is too fuzzy, but I will work on that too!

I will sort out some of the conference stats in a post tomorrow morning. Going to bed for now.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-02-2008, 08:44 AM
Nice work!!!!

GOB1SON
10-02-2008, 07:27 PM
OK, here is a little bit of analysis on home and away records within conference over the past three years (2005-07).

I looked at all 9 teams in the MVFC. For NDSU and SDSU, I used their Great West conference games. For Gateway games, I included games against Western Kentucky for 2005 and 06.

Then, after getting the numbers in, I broke them out into Conference (which DOES NOT include NDSU and SDSU, just Gateway/MVFC teams); Elite MVFC teams (SIU, UNI, and YSU have either won outright or shared the title the last three years); NDSU and SDSU together, and then the other 4 teams in the MVFC combined.

All conference teams played everybody the same number of times at home and on the road (20 games split evenly 10 H and 10 A). Overall the conference won 56% when at home and 43% when on the road. UNI won 16 C games, 9 H and 7 A , followed by SIU and YSU: each won 14 C games with 8 H and 6 A.

The rest of the MVFC was either A) terrible (Ind St.; Sorry!) B) Terrible on the road, defended home all right (MSU, all conference wins (5) were at home, big O-fer on the road) or C) weird (WIU and Il. St. both won more two more games on the road than at home).

NDSU and SDSU have identical conference records with 10 wins overall and 6 H and 4 A wins apiece.

I kind of thought that the “strong” home records of the good MVFC teams might be against lesser opponents at the beginning of the season, etc… but in nearly every case the good teams were very similar in and out of conference play when it came to defending home turf. Overall the Conference teams dropped off 10% in winning percentage at home in conference play, but the Elite teams only dropped back 4% while NDSU and SDSU had identical winning percentages in and out of conference play. Meanwhile, the “rest” of the MVFC drops off 12% when the good teams come to town.

It is time for me to head to the Panama City Airport for my flight north tonight. Maybe I will see a few of you this weekend.

Bisonguy
10-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Nice job with the breakdown!

X-Factor
10-03-2008, 04:58 AM
Wow good work! GOB1SON, how did you make that nice graph? Excel?

GOB1SON
10-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Wow good work! GOB1SON, how did you make that nice graph? Excel?

Yeah, I used Excel, but I have to save it into Publisher, then save the publisher doc as a jpeg, then modify the jpeg to meet the size requirements for the site.

Pain in the ass.

If anybody knows how to drop an excel graph into this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for the nice comments. I will keep "data mining" as we move through the conference season.

GOB1SON
10-06-2008, 08:37 PM
In conference, so far home teams are 6-2 with Ind. St. and MSU the only teams to lose a conference home game.

Big wins at home:

SDSU smokes YSU at home, then YSU beats NDSU at home, then decides to implode. (However, I predict that YSU will upset one more of the elite teams in the MVFC at home yet this year. They win 83% of their home games and only 50%+ road games. Watch out UNI or SIU! Oh and which by the way is one reason I picked Southern Utah last week to win).

UNI beat SDSU at home then loses to SIU on the road after which;

SIU loses to NDSU in the Fargodome.

Anybody seeing a pattern here yet?

The good teams defend their home field like it was the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Very, very hard to win on the road in this conference.

BisonNeil
10-06-2008, 10:04 PM
I know I am day late and a dollar short here, but nice work! Very interesting stuff.

So, what's your prediction after doing this with W Ill, given they have won a few more conference games on the road than at home?

Given the percentages, UNI and NDSU should be a head knocker.

X-Factor
10-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Yeah, I used Excel, but I have to save it into Publisher, then save the publisher doc as a jpeg, then modify the jpeg to meet the size requirements for the site.

Pain in the ass.

If anybody knows how to drop an excel graph into this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for the nice comments. I will keep "data mining" as we move through the conference season.

How about just take a screen shot of it with the excel document open? Ctrl+Prnt Scrn

paste it into MS Paint and save.