PDA

View Full Version : The Forgotten 70s in Bison History

CaBisonFan
09-28-2008, 05:30 PM
This is when I was in college. I'm in my 50s. Went to a ton of Bison games then. Didn't miss many.

The 60s is when things really took off...and Erhardt's (and Mudra's) position as a builder of the program is in granite.

The 80s...well...not much needs to be said.

1991? Unbelievable

The 1990s & early 2000s...well...ah...what can I say? A lot of great athletes played, and there were some excellent teams, but I call it the 'Transition to the Dome' era...and the 'What's So Interesting in an Omaha Park' era. Translation: Terrible university leadership that hurt a lot of guys. Could also add 'the Let's Take it Out on Rocky' era.

But the 70s. I saw some really great teams play. Think we won 4 or 5 conference championships and came close 2 or 3 other times. There was the transition from Erhardt to Erv...to Wacker.

Just an opinion. I think that Wacker helped to set the table for the 80s...as did the players of that era. Also, the guys who played during the transition from Ron to Erv...you guys deserve a lot of credit for holding it together.

Are there any 70s players here?

How about fans from that era?

Am I seeing through rosy glasses...or were some of those teams worthy of being an important part of the Bison legacy?

Anyone remember what I call the 'Chuck Bowl' in McAllen, TX? Anyone play in it? National championship game...most players were sick with what was called food poisoning. Players throwing up on the field through their facemasks. Dehydration...cramps...some guys couldn't play at all. We still played a decent game. To me...it should have been a title for the Bison.

One other memory. At UND...Severson walking into the endzone near the end of the game on a bootleg type of play...untouched. The UND fraternity boys had already gone to the frats to celebrate. The GF crowd was silent. One of my favorite all-time memories of a Bison game. Anyone here play in that game?

The forgotten 70s...in my opinion...when one of the greatest defensive players in Bison history played...last name Dahl...linebacker. An era of great football...and almost an entire decade of setting the table for the domination of the 80s.

PS - If this confuses you, or if you want Cliff Notes, Cliff's phone number is 951-833.338297409827873409817034.

BisoninNWMN
09-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Ca...good post.....too early for me...born in 69....but it would be interesting to hear some stories

.....PL....probably has many stories

CaBisonFan
09-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Ca...good post.....too early for me...born in 69....but it would be interesting to hear some stories

.....PL....probably has many stories

I agree. PL...please tell us about this era. We want to hear from one of the great Bison players!! And you were. You were one of the dominant...big names of that period. :nod:

Saw you play many times.

56BISON73
09-28-2008, 06:27 PM
This is when I was in college. I'm in my 50s. Went to a ton of Bison games then. Didn't miss many.

The 60s is when things really took off...and Erhardt's (and Mudra's) position as a builder of the program is in granite.

The 80s...well...not much needs to be said.

1991? Unbelievable

The 1990s & early 2000s...well...ah...what can I say? A lot of great athletes played, and there were some excellent teams, but I call it the 'Transition to the Dome' era...and the 'What's So Interesting in an Omaha Park' era. Translation: Terrible university leadership that hurt a lot of guys. Could also add 'the Let's Take it Out on Rocky' era.

But the 70s. I saw some really great teams play. Think we won 4 or 5 conference championships and came close 2 or 3 other times. There was the transition from Erhardt to Erv...to Wacker.

Just an opinion. I think that Wacker helped to set the table for the 80s...as did the players of that era. Also, the guys who played during the transition from Ron to Erv...you guys deserve a lot of credit for holding it together.

Are there any 70s players here?

How about fans from that era?

Am I seeing through rosy glasses...or were some of those teams worthy of being an important part of the Bison legacy?

Anyone remember what I call the 'Chuck Bowl' in McAllen, TX? Anyone play in it? National championship game...most players were sick with what was called food poisoning. Players throwing up on the field through their facemasks. Dehydration...cramps...some guys couldn't play at all. We still played a decent game. To me...it should have been a title for the Bison.

One other memory. At UND...Severson walking into the endzone near the end of the game on a bootleg type of play...untouched. The UND fraternity boys had already gone to the frats to celebrate. The GF crowd was silent. One of my favorite all-time memories of a Bison game. Anyone here play in that game?

The forgotten 70s...in my opinion...when one of the greatest defensive players in Bison history played...last name Dahl...linebacker. An era of great football...and almost an entire decade of setting the table for the domination of the 80s.

PS - If this confuses you, or if you want Cliff Notes, Cliff's phone number is 951-833.338297409827873409817034.

Jerry Dahl was a defensive end. Steve Nelson was a d-end his junior year and played linebacker his senior year. PL

ps go to Bison Memories in the Our House thread. Ive posted a few stories.

56BISON73
09-28-2008, 06:46 PM

Every team and person who stapped it on for the Bison were a building block for where the Bison are today. This fact was expounded upon by all those that spoke at the Hail the Bison Reunion. PL

CaBisonFan
09-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Jerry Dahl was a defensive end. Steve Nelson was a d-end his junior year and played linebacker his senior year. PL

ps go to Bison Memories in the Our House thread. Ive posted a few stories.

Thanks for the correction. I forgot that Dahl was a DE. Seemed like he was all over the field.

And I didn't know about the switch for Steve Nelson to linebacker.

Thanks PL.

d3boys
09-28-2008, 08:49 PM
another 70s star was kicker/receiver mike mctague
went on to play in the cfl
put on a show before the games

roadwarrior
09-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Who could forget the craziness that Wacker's teams had when they came out from the locker room onto the field before the game.

CaBisonFan
09-28-2008, 09:51 PM
another 70s star was kicker/receiver mike mctague
went on to play in the cfl
put on a show before the games

good addition...thanks

Wacker_in_the_Hall
09-28-2008, 11:54 PM
The 1978 team that lost to Jacksonville State in Alabama was a great team with some outstanding athletes.

Don Meyer Defensive Tackle was about 6'0 and 260 lbs. As quick as any Bison lineman that I have seen in the last 30 years. Don had some bad knees that he played with, throughout his career.

Gordy Sprattler was big fast and strong. He was the Tyler Roehl of the 70's. He was drafted by the Jets and came close to making the roster.

Mike McTague was our Kicker and he also played flanker. One of the best all around athlete's/players to ever play for the Bison. He went on to a long career as a punter in the CFL.

Unfortunately, our chance at a championship was curtailed by a teamwide case of food poisioning. Nearly every player got sick at some time. Some before the game, some during, and some after. I can attest, it was nasty and it did impact our performance.

d3boys
09-29-2008, 01:24 AM
The 1978 team that lost to Jacksonville State in Alabama was a great team with some outstanding athletes.

Don Meyer Defensive Tackle was about 6'0 and 260 lbs. As quick as any Bison lineman that I have seen in the last 30 years. Don had some bad knees that he played with, throughout his career.

Gordy Sprattler was big fast and strong. He was the Tyler Roehl of the 70's. He was drafted by the Jets and came close to making the roster.

Mike McTague was our Kicker and he also played flanker. One of the best all around athlete's/players to ever play for the Bison. He went on to a long career as a punter in the CFL.

Unfortunately, our chance at a championship was curtailed by a teamwide case of food poisioning. Nearly every player got sick at some time. Some before the game, some during, and some after. I can attest, it was nasty and it did impact our performance.
I was trying to think of Don Meyer
fun to watch
quite a character
also wrestled heavyweight for the bison

CaBisonFan
09-29-2008, 01:44 AM

thanks for these!

CaBisonFan
09-29-2008, 01:52 AM
Do you know when the veer was introduced...and who did it?

What offense did the 1978 team run?

I watched that team a lot. I agree. They were really talented, and well-coached. It was one of the very best Bison teams. It's my opinion that they were national champions without that horrific food poisoning episode. That was unbelievable.

Live 'chucking' by many players. Really bad.

roadwarrior
09-29-2008, 02:26 AM
Didn't Wacker bring in the veer in 1976?

sambini
09-29-2008, 02:59 AM
Wacker brought in the veer. Right on Road.+++

bisoneer
09-29-2008, 03:39 AM
I remember Mark Speral our QB who was in the Civil Engineering program, and I can vouch that he was a good student too.

McTague was an awesome reciever and kicker too!

gizmo
09-29-2008, 03:59 AM
Jerry Dahl was quite the player alright and he was/is my favorite Bison from the 70's. If memory serves me correctly, JD came to NDSU after serving a stint in the military (Viet Nam?) so he was older than most college football players. I'm thinking he was about 27 y.o. when he was a senior. JD was small for a DE, probably 6' and 210#, but he had a great burst off the line plus he was relentless and tuffernell!

CaBisonFan
09-29-2008, 05:30 AM
Jerry Dahl was quite the player alright and he was/is my favorite Bison from the 70's. If memory serves me correctly, JD came to NDSU after serving a stint in the military (Viet Nam?) so he was older than most college football players. I'm thinking he was about 27 y.o. when he was a senior. JD was small for a DE, probably 6' and 210#, but he had a great burst off the line plus he was relentless and tuffernell!

I remember Dahl dismantling UND up in GF. One of my best Bison memories. He was a wrecking crew.

CaBisonFan
09-29-2008, 05:32 AM
Wacker brought in the veer. Right on Road.+++

Hey Sambini !!

I wasn't sure...but thought maybe Wacker was the one that brought the veer in.

To me...Wacker was a very important part of the building process that brought on the juggernaut of the 80s.

Maybe I'll see you on Oct. 11th at the WIU game.