PDA

View Full Version : For All Athletes, Past & Present...Survey about Fan Influence

CaBisonFan
09-28-2008, 05:13 PM
This is a survey.

When you were playing competitive sports...did the crowd have an impact on how you & your team played?

For me, the adrenalin went up when Lewy Lee Fieldhouse in Mayville was standing-room-only for games with Hillsboro & Portland. Did it improve our game? Not sure. But it sure made it more fun. Basketball was my main sport in the land of the trees in May-Port country. (I was 6' 3", and played point guard...smallest guy on the floor) I was in the last class that had Mayville & Portland separate in athletics. The Mayville vs. Portland games were intense, and sometimes brutal. John Rygg & I tangled several times. Eddie Beyers was our nemesis at Hillsboro. You could probably add Northwood & Hatton to the formula.

What are your experiences?

Do you think that a crowd can make a difference...based on your playing experience...and based upon observations while you've been a fan.

I've seen various opinions here. Wanted to pull it together into a survey, of sorts. Please...no big finger pointing. Everyone's opinion deserves respect. Let's not get into the 'you're wrong' attitude.

This is for YOUR....ah....OPINION.

And if you feel comfortable with it...it would be fun to hear a little about where you played, when, etc...like I did.

BisoninNWMN
09-28-2008, 05:56 PM
I enjoyed the fan support. Never played in college but the football game I most enjoyed in high school was Watford City (I'm orig from Hettinger ).

WC has been a Class B 11-man (class in my day) powerhouse for yrs. The games with Hett were great, esp in WC. They must have had 1000 people there for their games. They usually beat us but the games were always hard-nose, leave your heart out on the field.

In their hallway they had the team pictures of their state championship teams. My day (mid 80's) they had 5-6 pictures on the wall....and always wanted to get one on our wall. Well, we never did but all over the region there are small towns just like WC; where the whole town supports there team on Friday nites.

Bison has a similar following on saturdays.

Bison games are more than a game.....they are an event where people come together to have fun: tailgating-game-post game. Heck, I enjoy driving the 1.5 hrs and making a day of it. I wish we had 7 home games...or at least 6 every yr:D :D

Season tickets will continue rise to a point where there will be a waiting list....Bison football will be the most sought after ticket in the region!!

It would be interesting to hear from some former players.:) :)

A1pigskin
09-29-2008, 01:45 AM
I played 9 man Football in High School for Wimbledon, population 250. Our best games were with North Central of Barnes, which was 17 miles away. Now the two schools are combined for sports. It didn't matter how good or bad either team was there was always a good turnout.

I would have to say that the more fans there were the more fun it was. I always got pumped when the fans were pumped. So I think it helps the motivation.

I played many other sports, but when I was in wrestling we didn't have many fans. So there was no crowd influence. Mostly the coaches.

56BISON73
09-29-2008, 01:56 AM
Running out on the field at game time was always a rush with the fans cheering. I also enjoyed when they would announce the starters my fraternity brothers would chant my nick name.
But after the kick off I really never heard the crowd. The only time I heard the crowd was if if we broke a big play. Other than that I was so focused at the task at hand that I never heard them. So for me they didnt have any effect. PL

NDSUguy
09-29-2008, 01:55 PM
I would agree. The crowd is nice before and after the game however during the games, the "influence" of the crowd doesn't really do much.

I think that players have enough motivation to play well that they don't need to be cheered by the crowd to get pumped up.

bri-dog
09-29-2008, 02:01 PM
I thought I'd have a lot to add to this topic at first glance. But then I realized that it said "fan influence", not "flatulence". So never mind...:p

Former Hitman
09-29-2008, 04:34 PM
I see we have a lot of Al Bundy's in this forum...

As a former NDSU player, I definitely fed of the crowd especially the opposing crowd! My favorite atmoshere was when we played up north at Memorial Stadium and that sad since, at the time, Fargodome was quiet.

The larger the roar!! The more players get excited!

MAKBison
09-29-2008, 05:25 PM
I wrestled on the national and international stage and yes the crowed was a factor. When the crowed was jacked it always seemed to be that much easier to dig down and get that last burst of needed energy.

BTW....Homecoming is a yellow out! They are announcing it on the NDSU listserve.

CaBisonFan
09-29-2008, 07:02 PM
I thought I'd have a lot to add to this topic at first glance. But then I realized that it said "fan influence", not "flatulence". So never mind...:p

Is it a common problem for you? :D

Bison15
09-29-2008, 08:32 PM
I see we have a lot of Al Bundy's in this forum...

As a former NDSU player, I definitely fed of the crowd especially the opposing crowd! My favorite atmoshere was when we played up north at Memorial Stadium and that sad since, at the time, Fargodome was quiet.

The larger the roar!! The more players get excited!

When me and my buddies get together and start talking about the glory days we all become Al Bundy. I think its pretty fun to reminisce.

As For the crowd, I never noticed them during the play but after a big hit or a good play, I did feel it a little. The only time the crowd ever got me really fired up was a 4 overtime game when all the plays were at the end zone and all the fans were going nuts surrounding the end zone. I get chills still thinking about it.