PDA

View Full Version : 3 Elements - & a Question: Why did we join the MVFC?

CaBisonFan
09-27-2008, 04:13 PM
The question over the coming seven weeks is whether this edition of the Bison has enough leadership, talent, and quality coaching.

I look at 3 things.

Character - Leadership, desire, teamwork...and more.

Talent - It would seem that we are in good shape here. We lack 'experience' and depth at quarterback.

Coaching - We've seen this staff do some amazing things. Can they get this group of players to pull it together after a tough 2nd half at Wyoming, and a disappointing performance at Youngstown State?

We are in a totally different type of season this year. Losing to Youngstown St. seems (at least) to have been a wake-up call for a lot of people...including myself.

But I have a question:

Why did we join the MVFC? What was the #1 reason stated by most people for leaving the Great West for this conference...among others? (This isn't a loaded question, a joke, or a criticism. It's a serious question. I think we made the right move.)

And I'll throw this in:

Did anyone notice a change in the team when Tyler was on the field?

My opinion? I think that Tyler is the leader of the offense, and that he is the #1 key for the coming weeks. The line even seems to wake up when he's on the field. His presence 'should' allow Nick to just play within himself. The defense will need to find some answers to the spread offense. A 'very' tough thing to do...especially when you face a versatile QB like Youngstown had.

What do you all think? I open this up to discussion, if the topic is worthy.

PS - Have I confused anyone with this post? Anyone need cliff notes?

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/6744/9780448434971rv2.jpg

:D

imabison
09-27-2008, 04:31 PM
The question over the coming seven weeks is whether this edition of the Bison has enough leadership, talent, and quality coaching.

I look at 3 things.

Character - Leadership, desire, teamwork...and more.

Talent - It would seem that we are in good shape here. We lack 'experience' and depth at quarterback.

Coaching - We've seen this staff do some amazing things. Can they get this group of players to pull it together after a tough 2nd half at Wyoming, and a disappointing performance at Youngstown State?

We are in a totally different type of season this year. Losing to Youngstown St. seems (at least) to have been a wake-up call for a lot of people...including myself.

But I have a question:

Why did we join the MVFC? What was the #1 reason stated by most people for leaving the Gateway for this conference...among others?

And I'll throw this in:

Did anyone notice a change in the team when Tyler was on the field?

My opinion? I think that Tyler is the leader of the offense, and that he is the #1 key for the coming weeks. The line even seems to wake up when he's on the field. His presence 'should' allow Nick to just play within himself. The defense will need to find some answers to the spread offense. A 'very' tough thing to do...especially when you face a versatile QB like Youngstown had.

I've said enough:

What do you all think? I open this up to discussion, if the topic is worthy.

I thought, and am probably wrong, but when Tyler was in the game there seemed to be gaping holes, that were not present with the other backs.

I thought is Tyler that good, or is the line blocking better?

Tyler is that good from watching him, but are the others that far behind?

roadwarrior
09-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Why did we join the MVFC? What was the #1 reason stated by most people for leaving the Gateway for this conference...among others?

First of all, we did not leave the Gateway for the MVFC. The name was changed this summer. If you mean why did we leave the Great West, that is summed up with 2 very important reasons: SCHEDULING and AUTO BID.

CaBisonFan
09-27-2008, 04:43 PM
First of all, we did not leave the Gateway for the MVFC. The name was changed this summer. If you mean why did we leave the Great West, that is summed up with 2 very important reasons: SCHEDULING and AUTO BID.

whoops

Meant the Great West. thanks

CaBisonFan
09-27-2008, 04:44 PM
I thought, and am probably wrong, but when Tyler was in the game there seemed to be gaping holes, that were not present with the other backs.

I thought is Tyler that good, or is the line blocking better?

Tyler is that good from watching him, but are the others that far behind?

I thought the line blocked better...but it seemed like Tyler's presence on the field made the whole game speed up...including the line running from the huddle. An urgency.

WYOBISONMAN
09-27-2008, 04:45 PM

You are kidding with this question......right?!?!

CaBisonFan
09-27-2008, 04:49 PM
You are kidding with this question......right?!?!

No...I'm trying to pull the obvious answer(s). I think we made the right move. Just want someone to answer the question.

roadwarrior
09-27-2008, 04:58 PM
The MVFC is one the premier conferences in FCS. The conference is in our geographic region (the Missouri River flows through ND). Many road games are played in or near areas that we recruit.

CaBisonFan
09-27-2008, 04:59 PM
The MVFC is one the premier conferences in FCS. The conference is in our geographic region (the Missouri River flows through ND). Many road games are played in or near areas that we recruit.

OK...I agree with all of that...but what was the #1 selling point? Perhaps that would have been a better question.

roadwarrior
09-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Auto Bid !!!!!!!

WYOBISONMAN
09-27-2008, 05:07 PM
No...I'm trying to pull the obvious answer(s). I think we made the right move. Just want someone to answer the question.

1. Arguably the toughest and best conference in the nation.

2. Autobid.

3. Matches well with our recruiting footprint.

4. Challenges WYOBISONMAN with difficult flights to the East.....:D

CaBisonFan
09-27-2008, 05:28 PM
1. Arguably the toughest and best conference in the nation.

2. Autobid.

3. Matches well with our recruiting footprint.

4. Challenges WYOBISONMAN with difficult flights to the East.....:D

wyo: We share the same problem with #4. I used to have one game a year that I could drive to.

WYOBISONMAN
09-27-2008, 05:35 PM
wyo: We share the same problem with #4. I used to have one game a year that I could drive to.

Well, with gas prices what they are....I am not so sure that it isn't cheaper to just fly to Fargo for home games....Of couse the Laramie game was cheap to drive to, but then the hotel was $179 per night!

CaBisonFan
09-27-2008, 05:42 PM
Well, with gas prices what they are....I am not so sure that it isn't cheaper to just fly to Fargo for home games....Of couse the Laramie game was cheap to drive to, but then the hotel was $179 per night!

Amazingly, I bought a cheaper ticket to fly to GF for Oct. 11th. It was about 100 bucks cheaper. With Mayville being my hometown, it works out for me to fly there, stay overnight there, and drive to the dome. Never flown to GF before. That's with Northwest Airlines. Hate flying with them, but I hate airplanes in general.

Yeah...driving isn't always cheaper for us now...is it?

$179 for a hotel? cheez :ranting:

BisoninNWMN
09-27-2008, 06:13 PM
Line doen't block better for Tyler....he is just that good. He doesn't go down with the first contact....he looks for it. He is the leader of the offense; he he stays healthy for the rest of the year the Bison will be fine. He goes down...well....the others backs need to step it up.

This con is great for the Bison.

ndsubison1
09-27-2008, 07:16 PM
auto-bid most importantly, scheduling, better conference, MVFC is one of the premier conferences of the FCS, it's kinda like the SEC of the FCS... the Great West is like the Sun Belt of the FCS... no offense to Cal Poly at all.

tjbison
09-27-2008, 07:24 PM
auto-bid most importantly, scheduling, better conference, MVFC is one of the premier conferences of the FCS, it's kinda like the SEC of the FCS... the Great West is like the Sun Belt of the FCS... no offense to Cal Poly at all.

Probably have the CAA and Socon people argue with this if it gets out:hide:

Bisonguy
09-27-2008, 09:18 PM
1)Autobid
2)Eight games automatically on the schedule every year
3) Top 3 FCS conference that will help the SOS for a possible at-large berth

GOB1SON
09-27-2008, 09:39 PM
I know this is a poor comparison, but if a really good non-BCS FBS team (like Boise State, Fresno State, Utah, etc...) had a chance to leave their conference (the WAC, Mountain West, etc...) for the Big Ten or Big 12 or Pac-10, they would be gone in a minute.

Same thing here. Bigger, better conference with more exposure in prime recruiting areas in the Midwest, better competition, not scrambling to fill out a schedule.

And if you win this sucker, that means something. If we are champs of the MVFC, is anyone going to say that it is equal or at par with the Great West title we won a couple of year ago? Not taking anything away from the Great West, but this will be a lot cooler.

Jdubs21
09-27-2008, 10:44 PM
One of the reasons i think the wholes are so big is that i honestly beleive the linemen and linebacks are somewhat timid to stand in front of a moving train, i dont care who u are or how big u are, it takes one hell of a set of testiculars to stand in front of mr roehl coming full steam ahead

Mr. Burgundy
09-28-2008, 12:26 AM
Guys, we moved to the Gateway as a favor to UND, they needed a conference and we left them a spot in the Great West. With all they did for us in our transition Gene Taylor was quoted...."It was the least we could do."

CaBisonFan
09-28-2008, 12:39 AM
Guys, we moved to the Gateway as a favor to UND, they needed a conference and we left them a spot in the Great West. With all they did for us in our transition Gene Taylor was quoted...."It was the least we could do."

++++++++++++++++++

UTH
09-28-2008, 04:18 AM

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/6744/9780448434971rv2.jpg

:D

Well, so long as you're offering...

*tia