PDA

View Full Version : Birth of the white out, etc.

Gully
09-27-2008, 11:42 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2008-09-25-pooches_N.htm

I just can't wait for this debate...........again.

A1pigskin
09-27-2008, 02:46 PM
We need a "yellow out." It's awesome to see and it has to be intimidating to the opposing team.

TransAmBison
09-27-2008, 03:21 PM
We need a "yellow out." It's awesome to see and it has to be intimidating to the opposing team.
Not only to the opposing team, but also to PL!! :rofl: PL is probably cowering under his bed right now just thinking about it! :D

Gully
09-27-2008, 04:43 PM
I have to disagree with PL on this one. Watching game day this morning it was all about white out, black out, orange out, and red sea. It's catching on more and more, not sure what people can't understand about that.

56BISON73
09-27-2008, 05:10 PM
The white outs etc are for the fans. Hence its about hype. Now think about economics. Should be pretty clear. PL

56BISON73
09-27-2008, 05:13 PM

So you are saying that the players are intimidated about a bunch of people wearing the same color??? Why does it have to be intimidating?????
Thank goodness the players dont have that mind set. Geez. PL

roadwarrior
09-27-2008, 05:16 PM
It looks cool.....that's about it.

56BISON73
09-27-2008, 05:19 PM
It looks cool.....that's about it.

Bingo!!! PL

Gully
09-27-2008, 05:21 PM
So you are saying that the players are intimidated about a bunch of people wearing the same color??? Why does it have to be intimidating?????

I don't know that it's so much that they're intimidated as it is that it can pump up the home team....it's an exciting atmosphere to play in.

Oh, and before you pull out the "I played the game" card....they interviewed players and coaches from FBS schools on ESPN game day this morning saying just that.

56BISON73
09-27-2008, 05:25 PM
I don't know that it's so much that they're intimidated as it is that it can pump up the home team....it's an exciting atmosphere to play in.

Oh, and before you pull out the "I played the game" card....they interviewed players and coaches from FBS schools on ESPN game day this morning saying just that.

Obviuosly you will chose to believe what you want. Too bad you had to be condescending on a difference of opinion and experience. PL

ps what do you expect the coaches and players to say???? LOL At least they didnt say that they are intimidated.LOL PL

56BISON73
09-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Not only to the opposing team, but also to PL!! :rofl: PL is probably cowering under his bed right now just thinking about it! :D

Actually I was thinking---Awww not this shit again.:D PL

CaBisonFan
09-27-2008, 05:39 PM

I agree that it's for the fans...and the excitement factor...if it really does help to pump up the fans. I have no idea if it does or not. But it's obvious that it's doing something for the fans, because they're doing it.

A home-field advantage has...in part...to do with the fans.

Thusly...it 'can' have an effect on the players.

We've all seen QB's have trouble calling audibles & linemen jumping early because they can't hear.

And there's an adrenalin factor...the 'rush' of hearing the home crowd going nuts when you do something great, etc. Football 'is' an emotional/mental game. Do you disagree with this?

d3boys
09-27-2008, 06:23 PM
and it looks cool

MAKBison
09-27-2008, 06:33 PM
What I like about this article is it includes current player’s opinions…and if you change the “for the girls” with because I am not secure enough to wear yellow, it could be speaking of NDSU and the grey beards.

http://byu.scout.com/2/570549.html
By Talo Steves
TBS Managing Editor
Posted Sep 20, 2006

With BYU’s LaVell Edwards Stadium looking like a bowl of Skittles on game days, the call is going out for fans wear no color this Saturday. The Cougars want a sea of white-clad fans to greet Utah State Aggies when they take the field. TotalBlueSports.com talked with several BYU football players about the game day fashion choices of some of their fans.

This weekend, the BYU Cougars will face instate rival Utah State for the Cougars’ second home game of the season. The team is pleading with the fans to participate in Saturday’s “white out” to show more unity and add to the intimidation factor in LaVell Edwards Stadium.
“I tell you what,” said BYU outside linebacker Bryan Kehl, “one of the most impressive things I’ve seen as a football player was walking out in pre-game warm-ups at Arizona an hour before the game started to see a sea of red filtering in to take their seats. There were so many people there, and they all had their red shirts on. It was impressive. The student body that was there wasn’t the most clean in terms of language, demeanor and drink, but they were there heckling us with their red shirts on. It was impressive and they were there the entire game yelling with their red shirts on.”

“When we went to Arizona, the crowd was red,” said safety Quinn Gooch. “In the student section, not one single person was wearing anything else but an Arizona red T-shirt. That was it, it was completely red.”

“We got to Arizona early and I went out there just to throw the ball around about an hour early or so before the game,” said receiver Zac Collie. “They had the student body there already cheering. We’re talking about an hour before the game and you’ve got everyone there in red cheering on Arizona and booing us. I’m sure it was encouraging for the Wildcats to see that and it would be for us here at LaVell Edwards Stadium.”

Three weeks later, the Cougars saw the fan base of another opponent wearing their team colors filling the stadium when they traveled to face the Golden Eagles of Boston College.

“At Boston College last week, it wasn’t quite as much [as Arizona,] but there was still a sea of yellow,” Kehl said. “That was also quite impressive to see. The thing is, our fans are the greatest in regards to support and our stadium is far louder than those other two, but we need that sea of blue and we need that sea of white.”

LaVell Edward Stadium already has a reputation for its beauty, fan courtesy, and its loudness, but unlike many of the major programs across the country, it is missing a concentration of team colors.

“We’ve got too much Skittle action going on out there in the stands,” laughed Kehl.

So why does BYU with its rich tradition and large fan base, struggle to show up like those of other top quality programs? The answer to that question has eluded die-hard fans and BYU administrators for some time, but the players have a good theory about the fans’ apparel apathy.

“No one is trying to look good for their girlfriend or trying to get a date at Arizona or at Boston College,” said Gooch with a smile. “We’ve got girls coming out here and they’re all decked out in their fashion glasses, but no one cares about that. No one cares what you looked like because everyone is interested in the game. We have a good fan base and have a lot of supporters. A lot of people support BYU, but it’s really important for us as a team to look up to see that unification of the crowd. It would be great to know that the crowd was unified with us as a team by seeing a sea of blue or a sea of white.”

Gooch is not the only player who believes that some BYU fans’ vain fixation with fine-twined linens is responsible for the rainbow of colors filling the stands. Kehl and Collie also think that many home game attendees are concerned more wearing clothes to look good for other fans, than wearing blue to support their team.

“People come out to the games and they’ve got their nice fashion shirts on looking for girls,” chuckled Kehl. “Then we have girls coming out all dressed up out there in the stands, but this is a football game and not prom night. We need the fans to come out there with the intent of being a part of a football game. That means wearing blue or white.”

“We’re not here to entertain a prom date, we need to get rowdy,” Collie said. “We need everyone to get into [opponents’] faces with our team colors on and cheer us on so that we can run the table.”

BYU fans have an opportunity each week to visually demonstrate their unity and to let the visiting team know that they are in enemy territory. Cougar supporters, however, have not seized that opportunity. Visitors are hard-pressed to identify their host based on the colors in the stands.

“I love watching Tennessee games,” said inside linebacker Cameron Jensen. “When you see the Tennessee stadium, that thing is ridiculous because you just see all orange and that is awesome. If it were LaVell Edwards Stadium and everyone was wearing all blue, wow, that would be amazing as well as intimidating. It’s intimidating seeing the fan base all wearing one color in show of support on top of the cheering and the noise. Just to see LaVell Edward Stadium in all blue or white just once would be just amazing.”

A blue stadium would not only be intimidating for opponents, it would also inspire the home team to play with greater emotion.

“As a team it’s also motivating,” said Jensen. “I mean we would come out of the tunnel to see a sea of blue. We would see all these fans that actually took the time to put on a blue shirt in support of the team. It would not only motivate us but it would also intimidate the opposing team. Our fans are great and their loud, but just having the color blue or white – depending on what was decided – that would be awesome.”

“As players, we like to have as much support as possible, and besides it just makes the game experience all the more sweeter for everyone,” said Collie. “When we’re on offense it’s important that the fans quiet down so that the quarterback and the center can hear one another. When our team is on defense, it’s important for our fans to be as loud as possible to the opposing offense has trouble hearing one another.

“To have it be that way with the crowd wearing all blue or all white, now that’s intimidating. For an opposing team to come into this stadium to see 65,000 fans screaming and wearing all white would be so intimidating, and that works to our advantage. We should never lose a game at LaVell Edwards Stadium. The Seattle Seahawks in the NFL or Texas [A&M] have what is called the ‘12th Man’ which is the crowd. We have great fans at BYU but we need to really have a visual presence of the ‘12th Man’ at LaVell Edwards Stadium. For this weekend, everyone wear white shirts.”

Because BYU and Utah State have similar colors, fans conceived the idea of having the home crowd wear white so that they will stand out from the visiting Aggie supporters. Ever since BYU changed from royal blue to navy and white, Utah State fans have complained that the Cougars stole their colors. Saturday’s so-called “White Out” is a way for Cougar fans to tell the Aggies, “You can have your color for a day; we’ll take the win!”

The athletic marketing staff and the BYU Bookstore got onboard with the white out campaign about two weeks ago. The bookstore will sell $5 white t-shirts so that the fans will be able to support their team at little expense.

The Cougar football team has been asking fans to wear blue since the season began, but for this one game, they hope to see a different shade in the stands.

“I hope everyone comes to the game wearing white and nothing else,” said Gooch. “It’s a white out so wear white. When their offense has the ball yell like crazy, and when our offe

ndsubison1
09-27-2008, 07:08 PM
"A blue stadium would not only be intimidating for opponents, it would also inspire the home team to play with greater emotion.

“As a team it’s also motivating,” said Jensen. “I mean we would come out of the tunnel to see a sea of blue. We would see all these fans that actually took the time to put on a blue shirt in support of the team. It would not only motivate us but it would also intimidate the opposing team. Our fans are great and their loud, but just having the color blue or white – depending on what was decided – that would be awesome.”

“As players, we like to have as much support as possible, and besides it just makes the game experience all the more sweeter for everyone,” said Collie. “When we’re on offense it’s important that the fans quiet down so that the quarterback and the center can hear one another. When our team is on defense, it’s important for our fans to be as loud as possible to the opposing offense has trouble hearing one another.

“To have it be that way with the crowd wearing all blue or all white, now that’s intimidating. For an opposing team to come into this stadium to see 65,000 fans screaming and wearing all white would be so intimidating, and that works to our advantage. We should never lose a game at LaVell Edwards Stadium. The Seattle Seahawks in the NFL or Texas [A&M] have what is called the ‘12th Man’ which is the crowd. We have great fans at BYU but we need to really have a visual presence of the ‘12th Man’ at LaVell Edwards Stadium. For this weekend, everyone wear white shirts.” "

I think this speaks for itself... NOW IT"S OUR TURN TO GET A DAMN YELLOW OUT!

Gully
09-27-2008, 07:17 PM
Obviuosly you will chose to believe what you want. Too bad you had to be condescending on a difference of opinion and experience. PL

ps what do you expect the coaches and players to say???? LOL At least they didnt say that they are intimidated.LOL PL

Sorry, I didn't mean to be condescending. I just don't believe that you have to have played the game to have valid opinions and when that is used to bolster an argument, it actually lessens the argument in my eyes. Not that you used it in this thread but I was anticipating it because I've heard it before. Anyway, it's really not that important of a topic, I just thought I'd post the link since it's been discussed here several times.

td577
09-27-2008, 08:27 PM

Did you even read the article?

SlickVic
09-27-2008, 09:01 PM
white out all be sick tonight just jacked to check that game its to bad wday didnt want to tune into the white house for you fools to see what its all about

KC Bison
09-27-2008, 11:27 PM
Are you kidding BYU. You're not winning cuz your fans aren't united in the colors (or non-colors) they wear. I've never weaker set of excuses from a team. :banghead:

Gully
09-28-2008, 12:11 AM
Watching the big games on TV tonight.....it sure looks awesome and adds to the atmosphere.

Mr. Burgundy
09-28-2008, 12:18 AM
oh the atmosphere in Lincoln and in Georgia is sweet right now. Georgia wearing black for the 3rd time ever. Nothing better than outdoor night football.

Mr. Burgundy
09-28-2008, 12:18 AM
sorry, add Erin Andrews to outdoor night football.

56BISON73
09-28-2008, 01:12 AM
Watching the big games on TV tonight.....it sure looks awesome and adds to the atmosphere.

Thank god Alabama is intimidated by the blackout. Can you imagine what the score would be if they werent???:D
Sorry Gully I couldnt resist.:D
PL

onbison09
09-28-2008, 01:27 AM
white out all be sick tonight just jacked to check that game its to bad wday didnt want to tune into the white house for you fools to see what its all about
www.espn360.com (http://www.espn360.com) Slick.

Gully
09-28-2008, 02:43 AM
Thank god Alabama is intimidated by the blackout. Can you imagine what the score would be if they werent???:D
PL

LOL...I was watching that game and I KNEW someone would make that point so I had to come back on here and check....sure enough!

I can't argue with that I guess. Sure does look cool though. I think the white out as PSU looks better than the black out at UofG. Maybe that's why PSU is winning and UofG is losing?:D :D

MAKBison
09-28-2008, 02:49 AM
Are you kidding BYU. You're not winning cuz your fans aren't united in the colors (or non-colors) they wear. I've never weaker set of excuses from a team. :banghead:

Where do they say that? What the articles says is the players like it and its gets them a bit more excited :banghead:

56BISON73
09-28-2008, 03:07 AM
LOL...I was watching that game and I KNEW someone would make that point so I had to come back on here and check....sure enough!

I can't argue with that I guess. Sure does look cool though. I think the white out as PSU looks better than the black out at UofG. Maybe that's why PSU is winning and UofG is losing?:D :D

LOL Good one Gully:D . The white out looks way cooler. :nod:
The OSU orange out looked like Halloween.:D
PL

UTH
09-28-2008, 04:37 AM
Fears, Phobias, and all that jazz. Everybody's got something to be afraid of. Visitors to the FFD? I'll let everyone in on a little secret...

Xanthophobia
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/wtfscaredholdonsurprised.gif
The Terrible Suffering Caused by Unexplainable Fear of the Color Yellow. They all have it.

*now you know. suck it up and embrace it. i'll let everyone in on another juicy little secret**...
**PL opposes yellow outs because he also suffers from this "Xanthophobia"

ndsubison1
09-28-2008, 05:04 AM
PL

Alabama is just flat out better...

56BISON73
09-28-2008, 05:10 AM
Fears, Phobias, and all that jazz. Everybody's got something to be afraid of. Visitors to the FFD? I'll let everyone in on a little secret...

Xanthophobia
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/wtfscaredholdonsurprised.gif
The Terrible Suffering Caused by Unexplainable Fear of the Color Yellow. They all have it.

*now you know. suck it up and embrace it. i'll let everyone in on another juicy little secret**...

**PL opposes yellow outs because he also suffers from this "Xanthophobia"

Drat Ive been found out.:D
PL

NDSUFan_Sav
09-28-2008, 08:31 AM
PL

I don't think it was so much alabama, i think georgia was to pumped and the hype got to their head..cuz they were calm the 2nd half for the most part

sambini
09-28-2008, 08:43 AM
Wow what a wild week in college football. Sooners will be the new number one team imo?

ndsubison1
09-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Wow what a wild week in college football. Sooners will be the new number one team imo?

no doubt... I think it should be 1. OU 2. Bama 3. Mizzou 4. LSU 5. Texas

BisonNeil
09-28-2008, 02:51 PM

I don't believe it. I am quite certain Lakes invented the white out.

56BISON73
09-28-2008, 02:55 PM
I don't think it was so much alabama, i think georgia was to pumped and the hype got to their head..cuz they were calm the 2nd half for the most part

So the black out was a bad thing:D . LOL
Seriously Alabama kicked some serious ass that first half. PL

56BISON73
09-28-2008, 02:56 PM
I don't believe it. I am quite certain Lakes invented the white out.

I thought that was a given:D
PL

Hoss
09-28-2008, 02:57 PM
As soon as we get a "Maize" out, they'll want to switch it to a "Green" out in order to sell more green shirts...

It's all marketing driven IMHO...

NDSUFan_Sav
09-28-2008, 06:11 PM
So the black out was a bad thing:D . LOL
Seriously Alabama kicked some serious ass that first half. PL

well not just the blackout got em all hype just the game in general and the loudness...thats just my opinon

I thought it looked really sweet tho, how everyone was into the game and really loud before hand...

I bet UGA wishes they did get the game postponed due to the shortage of gas down there from the hurricanes...forgot who wanted to postpone it but now it doesn't seem like a bad idea :)

d3boys
09-28-2008, 08:38 PM
no doubt... I think it should be 1. OU 2. Bama 3. Mizzou 4. LSU 5. Texas

3 big 12 teams in the top 5

MAKBison
09-29-2008, 03:41 AM
The tradition continues and Yellow-Out shirt sales will start September
29. There is a limited number, so come early to get the size you want!

When: Tuesday, September 29th - Friday, October 3rd
Where: Front of NDSU Bookstore
Price: $3

Sponsored By Student Government

sambini
09-29-2008, 07:08 AM
Have to get a new yellow out shirt++++

lcbison
09-29-2008, 05:12 PM
The winnipeg jets invented the white-out.- Look it up

bisonmike2
09-29-2008, 06:02 PM
The winnipeg jets invented the white-out.- Look it up

I believe my older brother invented the white-out before the Jets did. Or at least he perfected it. Many times he buried my face in the snow when we were kids. :)

OldBison
09-29-2008, 06:46 PM
An interesting perspective on the white out by Stewart Mandel of SI:

5. That anything other than the "White Out" is not worth it. If I was a Circuit City employee trying to woo a customer into buying a $2,000 HD plasma TV, the first thing I would show him is Saturday night's broadcast of the Penn State-Illinois game. Even seeing it for a third time, it was impossible not to be awed by the visual grandeur of Penn State's "White Out," which manages to turn a 110,000-seat stadium one enormous flashbulb. It's powerful, it's organized (right down to the block "S" in one corner) and, quite frankly, it's awesome.

Two words of advice to all the other schools trying to mimic it: Just stop. Seriously. The only tangible effect of Georgia's much-hyped "Black Out" was to turn Sanford Stadium into exactly what that Alabama strength coach prophesized: A funeral. And while the electric atmosphere at Reser Stadium last Thursday unquestionably contributed to Oregon State's upset of USC, an "Orange Out" doesn't make the slightest linguistic sense. (Is it akin to peeling an orange backward?) College kids are a creative bunch. I'm putting my trust in you to come up with something new.

http://fannation.com/si_blogs/the_sweep/posts/9062

bisonbrody9
09-29-2008, 08:54 PM
How about a flesh out?

Not a single person in the crowd wears a top! I know I'll be close by the student section for that one! Whoooo Whoooooo!:D

mebisonII
09-29-2008, 08:57 PM
How about a flesh out?

Not a single person in the crowd wears a top! I know I'll be close by the student section for that one! Whoooo Whoooooo!:D

I will NOT be sitting in the bisonville section for that one. Sorry ya'll, but I've seen the pics from the b-ball bash and other events :hide:

skolbrother
09-29-2008, 09:39 PM
I love the yellow out but I think we are thinking too small.

What if we had an "Elvis Out" or a "Grim Reaper out" perhaps even a "Hugh Heffner - playboy bunny out".

Can you imagine 20,000 screaming Elvis's ... very festive.

20,000 people in Grim Reaper attire who wants to argue intimidation factor on this look.

I don't think I need to say much more than hot Teammaker Cougars and co-ed's in bunny costumes could be distracting at the very least and the men would certainly be comfy in our silk jammies'.

MAKBison
09-29-2008, 11:36 PM
Have to get a new yellow out shirt++++

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
The tradition continues and Yellow-Out shirt sales will start September
29. There is a limited number, so come early to get the size you want!

When: Tuesday, September 29th - Friday, October 3rd
Where: Front of NDSU Bookstore
Price: $3

BTW..you do not have to be a student to get one for $3

Sponsored By Student Government
:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Tatanka
09-30-2008, 12:15 AM
How about the first ever STACHE-OUT???

HerdBot
09-30-2008, 02:27 PM

I think it looks bad ass and pumps up the crowd, which in turn makes the team play better. http://dehoff.smugmug.com/photos/193576132_KfkfJ-M.jpg

I wish the team would take some of that extra money they are making and hand out terrible towels or get some sponsors to yellow out the dome. It will look really cool on TV and create a buzz. They won't be used as golf towels if they throw something on the video board. (10 year ago that would have been the case)

People underestimate the effect of 20,000 people doing something together at the same time Anyone remember the Cal Poly thunderstix last year? It got the crowd and team fired up and they kicked our asses for the first half.

tony
09-30-2008, 03:03 PM
I can't think of anything more intimidating than 'Stache Out.

http://www.blogadilla.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/moustache-cut-outs.jpg

Herd Mentality
09-30-2008, 08:09 PM
I can't think of anything more intimidating than 'Stache Out.

YES!... and this is why i agree a yellow out is sorta gay, said best in the OP.

"We are all in the sports business. We would just hope that teams, if they are aware of it, would acknowledge that we do have a trademark and legally do have the rights to it. Are we on a 'White Out' witch hunt? Absolutely not. But we wouldn't take someone else's tradition and start using it on our own."

Stache Out....ORIGINAL. Yellow out...makes us look like wannabes no matter how "cool" it looks.

skolbrother
09-30-2008, 08:49 PM
YES!... and this is why i agree a yellow out is sorta gay, said best in the OP.

"We are all in the sports business. We would just hope that teams, if they are aware of it, would acknowledge that we do have a trademark and legally do have the rights to it. Are we on a 'White Out' witch hunt? Absolutely not. But we wouldn't take someone else's tradition and start using it on our own."

Stache Out....ORIGINAL. Yellow out...makes us look like wannabes no matter how "cool" it looks.

Wait, wait ... I'm insulted that people are voting for a stache out over the ideas in my earlier post. (Elvis out, Grim Reaper out, Playboy out)

I'm so upset I think I will come a 1/2 hour later to the tailgate than planned to show my distaste for my inventive ideas not gaining any MOJO.

bisonmike2
09-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Wait, wait ... I'm insulted that people are voting for a stache out over the ideas in my earlier post. (Elvis out, Grim Reaper out, Playboy out)

I'm so upset I think I will come a 1/2 hour later to the tailgate than planned to show my distaste for my inventive ideas not gaining any MOJO.

Is a "playboy out" where all women at the game are topless? If so I vote for that and sit me close to the student section.

Bison15
09-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Is a "playboy out" where all women at the game are topless? If so I vote for that and sit me close to the student section.

Just Imagine all the gals jumping up and down after a touchdown!
yeeeeehaaaaaaaa:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Ferd
09-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Why not get everyone to wear one of these hats. Alternating green and yellow plumes.

Gully
09-30-2008, 11:47 PM
Watching the Twins/White Sox right now.....you guess it, it's a BLACK OUT!

NDSUFan_Sav
10-01-2008, 12:22 AM
Just Imagine all the gals jumping up and down after a touchdown!
yeeeeehaaaaaaaa:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

got my eyes and popcorn ready!!! :cheers:

BigBison
10-01-2008, 08:54 AM
I'm surprize that no one ever talks about Texas A&M's red, white and blue out back in 2001 after 9/11. To me that was a little more impressive, however they only did it that one time, and it wasnt really to support the team, more so to support the country.

Heres a picture:
http://suzyred.com/aggietribute.html I wish I knew how to post it in the thread.

Heres a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovy7GwG5Utw&feature=related

sambini
10-01-2008, 10:02 AM
Is a "playboy out" where all women at the game are topless? If so I vote for that and sit me close to the student section.That would work imo++++

HerdBot
10-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Birth of the terrible towel... steelers back in the 70's...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4xi7eA68og

Cool video.