PDA

View Full Version : Wichita State fans pushing for Football

AKBison
09-26-2008, 09:52 PM
I ran across this today. They have put together a website, a blog and are running radio commercials. If this actually happens one would think it does not bode well for our friends to the north and south as 10 would make for a big FCS football conference.

Blog: www.shockerfootballnow.blogspot.com
Radio commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhcu5GoTqm0

Hammersmith
09-26-2008, 10:50 PM
IIRC, I think WSU's pres and AD have gone on record during the last year saying Shocker football wasn't coming back anytime soon. I don't know if anything will change that in the short term.

That being said, I wonder if WSU might spend a couple years in the Pioneer to get up to speed before joining MVFC if it were to happen. I also wonder if WSU in the MVFC would end up pushing YSU out in the long run.

Gully
09-26-2008, 11:53 PM
I can't understand why they wouldn't want a football team....that's just crazy.

A1pigskin
09-27-2008, 12:05 AM
I travel to Wichita often, so it would be interesting to just have a game with them.

tjbison
09-27-2008, 12:13 AM
If it were to happen I bet its at the FBS level!

I doubt they would get enough support for anything less IMO

AKBison
09-27-2008, 12:27 AM
Evidently they have a new AD whose father played Football for the Shockers and is in the WSU hall of fame. I would say things have changed.

BisBison
09-27-2008, 12:57 AM

five years from now FBS level f-ball in the Missouri Valley Football Conference.

bisonranch
09-27-2008, 03:01 AM
They have a nice stadium.

Last time I was in Wichita I saw people wearing shirts that said 'Shocker football, undefeated since 1988' or whatever it was they quit. There's a lot of support for football there.

Bisonguy
09-27-2008, 03:11 AM
I know the link is just a basketball poster, but GO SHOCKERS!! (http://webs.wichita.edu/gs/shockerwallpaper/rockinbig.jpg)

tony
09-27-2008, 09:20 AM
five years from now FBS level f-ball in the Missouri Valley Football Conference.

I was kind of thinking along the same lines - if you want NDSU in the FCS, the best path would be for Wichita State to join the MVFC and then have the whole conference move up.

Herd
09-27-2008, 12:42 PM

At the FBS level, starting from ground zero? I don't think there's a chance of that. They play in the Valley . . . the Valley has FCS football for now. They would stay with their peers in the Valley, how would FBS even be possilbe while being a Valley member. They'd have to jump to CUSA or Sunbelt, why would you even want to do that when you have Valley BB? Don't understand your logic on a FBS move at all. FCS would be perfect of WSU to start football.

Gully
09-27-2008, 01:53 PM
I was kind of thinking along the same lines - if you want NDSU in the FBS, the best path would be for Wichita State to join the MVFC and then have the whole conference move up.

Fixed it for you.

tony
09-28-2008, 10:08 AM
Fixed it for you.

Yeah, thanks,that's what I meant - I typed FCS when I meant FBS.

Restated, I think that if our longterm goal is for NDSU to get to the FBS, then an FBS Missouri Valley is the best available path at the moment. I think the WAC wants UC Davis, the MAC is too big already, and the Sunbelt... er, the NDSU in the Sunbelt just doesn't sound right.

Of course, NDSU has more than enough on its plate right now, especially given the current economic situation.

BisoninNWMN
09-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Wichita State would be a fine addition to the Valley.

School and city are large enough to support it.

Hopefully they get it done in the near future.