PDA

View Full Version : Need help from the techies

MNBISONCLUB
09-24-2008, 01:55 AM
How would I be able to here the Bison Radio Network when in the arena? Do I have access to the internet, which begs the question is there wireless coverage in the arena? I enjoy listening to Scott Miller And Jeremy Jorgenson's call of the game. Would rather here it during the game than listening to it after the game on GoBison.com all access. Already renewed that. Got my plane tickets, hotel, and game tickets lined up for LA. Working on Wyoming / Denver.
Any help on how to get the broadcast and the most cost effective way to do it is appreciated.
Go Bison - I anticipate the women will exceed expectations expressed in other threads.

Hammersmith
09-24-2008, 06:41 AM
How would I be able to here the Bison Radio Network when in the arena? Do I have access to the internet, which begs the question is there wireless coverage in the arena? I enjoy listening to Scott Miller And Jeremy Jorgenson's call of the game. Would rather here it during the game than listening to it after the game on GoBison.com all access. Already renewed that. Got my plane tickets, hotel, and game tickets lined up for LA. Working on Wyoming / Denver.
Any help on how to get the broadcast and the most cost effective way to do it is appreciated.
Go Bison - I anticipate the women will exceed expectations expressed in other threads.

First off, it's not clear what arena you're talking about. Do you mean the BSA or Gersten Pavilion(Loyola Marymount) or both? I'm going to assume the Gersten Pavilion since you mention L.A., but most of this applies to both.

Assuming you own or have access to a laptop, I would email Shane Howell(Director of Athletic Facilities at Loyola Marymount) at showell4@lmu.edu or call them at (310) 338-1743 to see if they allow laptops into LMU basketball games(security concerns?) and whether they have free WiFi access(IEEE 802.11b, 802.11g, or 802.11 draft-n). If they do, just bring your fully charged laptop(assuming it also has WiFi capabilities), a set of earbuds, and maybe a spare battery(if needed). When you get there, boot up the laptop(it should auto-login into the Pavilion's network - or close to it) and go to GoBison.com to get the free audio feed.

If they don't have free WiFi access, you should ask them if they have good cell phone reception in the arena. If they do, you could go with a broadband cell phone modem for your computer depending on your provider(assuming you have one). Considering you would plan to connect to the cell tower for the whole game, an unlimited data plan with a very short contract might be the best option. Contact your cell provider or their website for options and pricing plans.

If you have an advanced cell phone, it might have the capabilities to access the audio feed itself. I would think a phone using Windows CE would have the best shot, but I don't own one and can't say for certain. If you think your phone might work, try it out before you leave by trying to listen to an archived game or press conference through GoBison.

Which ever method you try to use, just remember that it might not be a great experience. The signal will have to go from Scotty's mic, to processing equipment, to an uplink facility, up to and down from a satellite(or across the country on an underground cable), through equipment at WDAY, to NDSU, over to JumpTV, back to L.A. through more cables and/or satellites, and finally from a cell tower or WiFi access point to your cell phone/computer. Even at a significant percentage of the speed of light, you're looking at several seconds of delay for the signal to make the round trip.

If you can get more info from the Gersten Pavilion and tell me your cell phone model and provider, I might be able to give you a more definitive answer. If you meant the BSA, you might try an email or phone call to Josh Hemingway, the Director of Ticket, Event and Facility Operations at Josh.Hemingway@ndsu.edu or (701) 231-6378. Of course, if you did mean the BSA, then the easiest method by far would be to buy a cheap AM walkman and listen to the game through it. The lag wouldn't be nearly as bad, either.

MNBISONCLUB
10-16-2008, 05:41 PM
Hammer-

Sorry for the late reply. I appreciate your input. Sounds like the delay may be annoying. That said, I am going to try it BSA and see what happens.