PDA

View Full Version : Can too much of a good thing be bad?

OldBison
09-23-2008, 06:01 PM
In a recent thread, CaBisonFan informed us that the internet is a powerful thing that can be used for a number of purposes, sometimes with tragic results when it comes to youth.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13871

But in that thread CaBisonFan also seems to suggest that anything other than optimism on Bisonville is counter-productive and if you aren't positive you are something less than a "real fan" when he said "I'm feeding Bison optimism...something that many generations of Bison players have enjoyed from the real fans."

The point this poster seems to be making is that if negative things are said about the team or how someone is playing, that this will affect that player's psyche and ultimately how he plays. I have re-read this post several times and the conclusion I come to is that CaBisonFan thinks anything less than optimism hurts the team and their performance. It is hard for me to believe that a small vocal minority speaking something less than optimism could do this, but let's take CaBisonFan at his word. But let us also ask this question; could the reverse also be true?

I have given this a lot of thought recently and wonder if too much of a good thing is just as bad as too much negativism. But is it bad to express something less than "optimism"? Is it bad to be overly optimistic? Could over-optimism, while simultaneously ignoring the obvious misgivings of a team and their deficiencies, be just as bad as pointing them out?

Consider this:

After the WY game a number of people expressed concern about the Bison and the collapse that occurred in the second half. In post-game analysis, however, most attributed the collapse to simply dropped passes, penalties and rationalized Mertens 3 INTs as a combination of tipped passes and misreads by the WRs; mostly because the team was tired. When a poster or two suggested that Mertens didn't actually play a good game and that it may have been overconfidence that caused the mental mistakes after they had gone up 13-0, it was these "fans" that were dissed, not the players.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13772

The bottom line is this, most fans were convinced that the second half of the WY game was an anomaly caused by fatigue, possibly high elevation and most of the "real fans" predicted the Bison would blow out YSU, and why not, there were no weaknesses in this team, surely everyone could see that! The optimism flowed at an all time high and if you do the math, the average margin of victory predicted for NDSU over YSU was 29-13, nearly a 2 1/2 TD margin of victory!!!

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13778

However, not everyone agreed. I personally thought there was trouble and expressed concern that there were a lot of injuries and a few too many third stringers playing for the Bison to realistically blow out YSU. I said "This will be much closer than you all think and I am simply hoping to get a W."

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13778&page=6

As one poster pointed out, the LT was not a third stringer and this person lambasted me quickly saying "If you would actually know what you were talking about, you might not be such a pessimist and actually be looking forward to winning the game as the rest of the bison faithful!!"

We'll dismiss for the moment that I was correct with the rest of the starters that were, indeed, third stringers and get to the point; I was clearly not being regarded as a "Bison faithful". Dissenting voices are not welcome in Bisonville and if you dare say anything contrary to the masses you do so at your own risk and by doing so you are labelled a "fan" and in some cases threatened by Lakes with bodily harm. One poster has called the optimistic masses on Bisonville "homers and kool aid drinkers". I am not sure what that all means, but I think it is safe to say that many of you are a bit naive in your thinking about the current state of the team and blinded by what has unfolded in front of you. If all was as well as you think they why was Bohl quoted as saying "We will not have rose-colored glasses on. Those runs, unless we get those issues straightened around, we will be a marginal defense. Not even average." Bohl also pointed out that the depth chart may be adjusted and said "number two, some guys that were playing are maybe not playing as well as they can". Its a good damn thing Bohl didn't post those comments on Bisonville or he undoubtedly would have been called a "pessimist" and not a "real fan".

There has been a lot of theories expounded about how the Bison got to where they are at this moment in the season, obviously too many to discuss in this thread (after all, this post is becoming CaBisonFan-ish). Suffice it to say I agree with one poster who said "My take on the biggest problem? Over confidence, perhaps. It is one thing to be confident, another to be over confident. I think this team became over confident when they took the second half kickoff at WY down the field and scored a FG." I know that in the three competitive team sports I played in HS (football, basketball, baseball), whenever we got our ass handed to us by a lesser opponent it was usually when we were overconfident and we came out flat and did not play our game. There is no question the Bison came out flat, even the less than observant Jeff Kolpack noted that on his blog. They were didn't keep their assignments, tackled poorly and didn't play their game. So, how could the Bison get to be over confident?

Well, if CaBisonFan is correct, and his cohort LakesBison is correct, the players read this forum. Maybe the players began to believe all the optimism that was prevading these pages. Maybe they believed CaBisonFan when he told them they would go 10-1 and win the NC. Maybe they believed the majority that nothing was wrong and in the end thought they could simply show up. I don't know but I do know this, in nature there are equal and opposite reactions, all part of the ecological principle of "dynamic equilibrium". If you believe that being less than optimistic hurts the players and hurts the team, than you cannot ignore the possibility that being naively optimistic, to the point of ignoring deficiencies ,can be equally destructive and lead to an opposite reaction from that which was intended. Can you dismiss the possibility that when you blow up the ego of a twenty year old, telling him everything is fine and that it's not his fault, can you ignore the possibility that you negatively impacted the way he played? Can you believe the former without contemplating that the latter may also be true?

I don't know, but it is a question worth asking.

Bisonguy
09-23-2008, 06:15 PM
I usually don't like reading posts that long, but that's one heckuva well thought out post. :nod:

NDSUguy
09-23-2008, 06:18 PM
interesting post.... while i personally do not believe that anything that is said here affects any outcome of the game ( just as yelling at the tv on sundays does not help your favorite nfl team win a game), I think that OldBison's post has some good points.

The Bisonville collective should not be so quick to label who is and who is not a fan. Those who believe that dissention is a bad thing clearly have rose colored glasses on.

This is meant to be a forum where ideas are expressed, there is no need to justify everything that went right or wrong during the last two weeks. If someone thinks that the sky is falling...well that's fine. If someone thinks that the Bison are the best team ever....well that's also fine. Let's not squabble over who's right and wrong. After all, none of us really know anything about what is going on when the bison take the field. All our rants and raves are nothing more than speculation backed up by nothing.

In the end, all we can really do is to cheer on our team and hope that they perform the way we know they can. After all, since we are only fans (who have no direct outcome on the games) all we can do is cheer.

runtheoption
09-23-2008, 06:22 PM
I usually don't like reading posts that long, but that's one heckuva well thought out post. :nod:

I agree 100%. Possibly one of the best posts I have ever read on Bisonville (besides some of the funny stuff in the Smack section). It definetely causes one to stop and think.

I look forward to responses to OldBison. Hopefully they are as well thought out and don't personally attack OldBison.

56BISON73
09-23-2008, 06:22 PM
interesting post.... while i personally do not believe that anything that is said here affects any outcome of the game ( just as yelling at the tv on sundays does not help your favorite nfl team win a game), I think that OldBison's post has some good points.

The Bisonville collective should not be so quick to label who is and who is not a fan. Those who believe that dissention is a bad thing clearly have rose colored glasses on.

This is meant to be a forum where ideas are expressed, there is no need to justify everything that went right or wrong during the last two weeks. If someone thinks that the sky is falling...well that's fine. If someone thinks that the Bison are the best team ever....well that's also fine. Let's not squabble over who's right and wrong. After all, none of us really know anything about what is going on when the bison take the field. All our rants and raves are nothing more than speculation backed up by nothing.

In the end, all we can really do is to cheer on our team and hope that they perform the way we know they can. After all, since we are only fans (who have no direct outcome on the games) all we can do is cheer.

Unless you wear yellow shirts.:D :D :D :D
PL

GOB1SON
09-23-2008, 06:29 PM
If every opinion was this well thought out and expressed....

I don't know what to think about the effect of positive or negative vibes off of the internet. It is the world we live in and student athletes have to live with it.

The only thing I worry about is the deeply disturbing negative comments that don't have to be so cutting. Instead of saying "RB A is terrible and I am ready for him to graduate so I don't have to see him in a Bison Uniform ever again" maybe a post that says "RB A is really struggling and the coaches might have to consider sitting him for the good of the team". Same intent, same purpose, same criticism, only without the dagger.

Maybe I am just too soft-hearted, but as adult fans, certainly we can express our disappointment without being derogatory.

And I know that fan is short for fanatic. I get it, I am just as passionate about this as anybody posting here.

Just my two cents.

UTH
09-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Unless you wear yellow shirts.:D :D :D :D
PL

I KNEW you would come around! Welcome back, PL.

UTH
09-23-2008, 06:35 PM
If every opinion was this well thought out and expressed....

I don't know what to think about the effect of positive or negative vibes off of the internet. It is the world we live in and student athletes have to live with it.

The only thing I worry about is the deeply disturbing negative comments that don't have to be so cutting. Instead of saying "RB A is terrible and I am ready for him to graduate so I don't have to see him in a Bison Uniform ever again" maybe a post that says "RB A is really struggling and the coaches might have to consider sitting him for the good of the team". Same intent, same purpose, same criticism, only without the dagger.

Maybe I am just too soft-hearted, but as adult fans, certainly we can express our disappointment without being derogatory.

And I know that fan is short for fanatic. I get it, I am just as passionate about this as anybody posting here.

Just my two cents.

Meh. Not saying this or that is good or bad, but these things will happen during a meltdown. Everything should be OK again by the time next game rolls around. Relax, let things go, and start thinking more about the next kickoff.

bisonmike2
09-23-2008, 06:39 PM
Great post. But I think people give waaaaay too much credit to Bisonville. I just don't think that the members on Bisonville have enough power influence a game through negative or positive post. We are talking about sports. That's it. I just don't buy into the thought that by someone typing, "great game <insert players name>" when they didn't have one can give a player or coach a sense of false confidence. If Bisonville is this all knowing and can alter future events by simply posting about them in forums, please, please, please everyone post about Bisonmike winning the lottery. I will throw some cash your way when I win, I promise.

oh and make it the powerball. I'm not paying out for a $5 scratch ticket win.

BlueBisonRock
09-23-2008, 07:03 PM
:bow: :bow: Wow OldBison. :bow: :bow: This was a well thought out and well stated post! Thank you for taking time and making the effort to frame this discussion so well.

Your post help me with the jumble of thoughts I have had on the posts over the last couple of weeks. There are some points that we are all guilty of forgetting that you stated nicely.

1. Each and every poster / reader on this board is a Fan! There are no good fans or bad fans. Some fans have better insights / information than others, but ...

2. The purpose of this forum is to provide the fan base with the opportunity to state their opinions. All opinions are important and acceptable as each post can be addressed by those with a contrary opinion.

3. Constructive critism is a hallmark to drive improvement in athletics and in life.

The posts that troubled me were those that engaged in personal attacks (either to other fans / posters or to the players) which belittled the individual making the comment or the athlete as well as those with profanity. This is where we, as a group can improve. Comments stating 'so and so is a jerk', '...has no ability', or 'just plain sucks' simply do not add value. Profanity does nothing to support an argument.

As an example, BisonNeil had a couple of early posts which some did not appreciate (mild compared to other posts). However, he came back with an outstanding analysis providing a strong arguement for his position. His taking the time to make a fact based arguement went a long way to my understanding and accepting his comments. BTW: Great job on this analysis Neil!

Another classic example: Before the Bisonville BB classic last spring, I was convinced that either Slick or SD was going to cause or be caused injury. They got together, and played the game to prove their points (capabilities) rather than provoke each other. Hey, their trip to Wyoming only proves how well their approach worked out.

I realize that the typical approach used on an internet board is to belittle and insult those with different opinions. However, my encounters in the working world has taught me that an approach that shows respect and builds rapport works a bit better.

Thanks again for your well thought out and appropriate post. We can all learn from your approach!

56BISON73
09-23-2008, 07:10 PM
I think that Coach Bohls latest press conference just put the whole controversy to rest.
He said everything that was said here in regards to disappointment, lack of execution, poor play, injuries, expectations that arent being met etc. the only difference was he was more PC because of it being a press conference. I dont think he will be as PC during practice.
He is obviously not happy. As he shouldnt be.
So if the people of BV have the same opinions and observations as the coaches I dont see what the problem is. Nuff said.

I do like the itinerary he has planned for the players the next two weeks.
PL

bisonmike2
09-23-2008, 07:16 PM
I think that Coach Bohls latest press conference just put the whole controversy to rest.
He said everything that was said here in regards to disappointment, lack of execution, poor play, injuries, expectations that arent being met etc. the only difference was he was more PC because of it being a press conference. I dont think he will be as PC during practice.
He is obviously not happy. As he shouldnt be.
So if the people of BV have the same opinions and observations as the coaches I dont see what the problem is. Nuff said.

I do like the itinerary he has planned for the players the next two weeks.
PL

I still waiting for the day that Bohl says at a press conference following a loss, "We were fine until the boys started reading that damn Bisonville! That Lakes guy needs to stop building up my guys! They are getting way too big of heads!"

56BISON73
09-23-2008, 07:18 PM
I still waiting for the day that Bohl says at a press conference following a loss, "We were fine until the boys started reading that damn Bisonville! That Lakes guy needs to stop building up my guys! They are getting way too big of heads!"

:D :D :D :D
Or
We thought Nick was coming along just fine until he read BV. After that he couldnt concentrate, his play went to shit and he went up and quit the team. Now I find out that he was arressted last night after being found drunk and passed out behind the Pink Pussy Cat.
PL

UTH
09-23-2008, 07:22 PM

No need to wait. Just ask for some insight from The Nostragully. He may already have foreseen this...http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/WizardhatSmilies.gif

SDbison
09-23-2008, 07:31 PM
I believe the Bison as a team were overconfident up until they were denied a TD in the opening moments of the 2nd half at Wyoming. I watched them walk out to the field after halftime and saw little or no emotion on their faces. They were up by 10 points against a decent FBS team and yet there was no fire in their eyes, no enthusiam! Either they were bored or overconfident? So when the bubble burst in the second half at Wyoming, that is, the penalties, the missed opportunities, the interceptions, and the breakdown of the defense, these guys didn't know what to do. They just muddled their way through 2/3rds of the YSU game underperforming as a team and finally got some fire a bit too late. Don't know if the coaches saw this coming and didn't or couldn't do anything to prevent it. I don't buy the excuse that YSU is a great team at home, or NDSU had too many injuries. Very few college teams play a week in a season without a few injuries. Its all about a team rising to the occasion and making the best of what they have. Seems the Bison could do it for the last 1/3 of the game at YSU. I think if the Bison focus and play their game each and every week they can win the rest of their games. I trust the coaches know what needs to be done. Too bad they didn't do some ass kicking after that field goal in lieu of TD at Wyoming. Things might have been a bit different now.

d3boys
09-23-2008, 08:55 PM
:D :D :D :D
Or
We thought Nick was coming along just fine until he read BV. After that he couldnt concentrate, his play went to shit and he went up and quit the team. Now I find out that he was arressted last night after being found drunk and passed out behind the Pink Pussy Cat.
PL

now you are dating yourself
over half the people on hear have never heard of the pink pussy cat

the old neon sign is in my basement jk

56BISON73
09-23-2008, 09:02 PM
now you are dating yourself
over half the people on hear have never heard of the pink pussy cat

the old neon sign is in my basement jk

I was going to work in the Round Up but thought that would be over kill. LOL
I was also wondring who was going to pick up on it. :D
PL

MHDBisonfan
09-23-2008, 09:51 PM
In a recent thread, CaBisonFan informed us that the internet is a powerful thing that can be used for a number of purposes, sometimes with tragic results when it comes to youth.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13871

But in that thread CaBisonFan also seems to suggest that anything other than optimism on Bisonville is counter-productive and if you aren't positive you are something less than a "real fan" when he said "I'm feeding Bison optimism...something that many generations of Bison players have enjoyed from the real fans."

The point this poster seems to be making is that if negative things are said about the team or how someone is playing, that this will affect that player's psyche and ultimately how he plays. I have re-read this post several times and the conclusion I come to is that CaBisonFan thinks anything less than optimism hurts the team and their performance. It is hard for me to believe that a small vocal minority speaking something less than optimism could do this, but let's take CaBisonFan at his word. But let us also ask this question; could the reverse also be true?

I have given this a lot of thought recently and wonder if too much of a good thing is just as bad as too much negativism. But is it bad to express something less than "optimism"? Is it bad to be overly optimistic? Could over-optimism, while simultaneously ignoring the obvious misgivings of a team and their deficiencies, be just as bad as pointing them out?

Consider this:

After the WY game a number of people expressed concern about the Bison and the collapse that occurred in the second half. In post-game analysis, however, most attributed the collapse to simply dropped passes, penalties and rationalized Mertens 3 INTs as a combination of tipped passes and misreads by the WRs; mostly because the team was tired. When a poster or two suggested that Mertens didn't actually play a good game and that it may have been overconfidence that caused the mental mistakes after they had gone up 13-0, it was these "fans" that were dissed, not the players.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13772

The bottom line is this, most fans were convinced that the second half of the WY game was an anomaly caused by fatigue, possibly high elevation and most of the "real fans" predicted the Bison would blow out YSU, and why not, there were no weaknesses in this team, surely everyone could see that! The optimism flowed at an all time high and if you do the math, the average margin of victory predicted for NDSU over YSU was 29-13, nearly a 2 1/2 TD margin of victory!!!

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13778

However, not everyone agreed. I personally thought there was trouble and expressed concern that there were a lot of injuries and a few too many third stringers playing for the Bison to realistically blow out YSU. I said "This will be much closer than you all think and I am simply hoping to get a W."

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13778&page=6

As one poster pointed out, the LT was not a third stringer and this person lambasted me quickly saying "If you would actually know what you were talking about, you might not be such a pessimist and actually be looking forward to winning the game as the rest of the bison faithful!!"

We'll dismiss for the moment that I was correct with the rest of the starters that were, indeed, third stringers and get to the point; I was clearly not being regarded as a "Bison faithful". Dissenting voices are not welcome in Bisonville and if you dare say anything contrary to the masses you do so at your own risk and by doing so you are labelled a "fan" and in some cases threatened by Lakes with bodily harm. One poster has called the optimistic masses on Bisonville "homers and kool aid drinkers". I am not sure what that all means, but I think it is safe to say that many of you are a bit naive in your thinking about the current state of the team and blinded by what has unfolded in front of you. If all was as well as you think they why was Bohl quoted as saying "We will not have rose-colored glasses on. Those runs, unless we get those issues straightened around, we will be a marginal defense. Not even average." Bohl also pointed out that the depth chart may be adjusted and said "number two, some guys that were playing are maybe not playing as well as they can". Its a good damn thing Bohl didn't post those comments on Bisonville or he undoubtedly would have been called a "pessimist" and not a "real fan".

There has been a lot of theories expounded about how the Bison got to where they are at this moment in the season, obviously too many to discuss in this thread (after all, this post is becoming CaBisonFan-ish). Suffice it to say I agree with one poster who said "My take on the biggest problem? Over confidence, perhaps. It is one thing to be confident, another to be over confident. I think this team became over confident when they took the second half kickoff at WY down the field and scored a FG." I know that in the three competitive team sports I played in HS (football, basketball, baseball), whenever we got our ass handed to us by a lesser opponent it was usually when we were overconfident and we came out flat and did not play our game. There is no question the Bison came out flat, even the less than observant Jeff Kolpack noted that on his blog. They were didn't keep their assignments, tackled poorly and didn't play their game. So, how could the Bison get to be over confident?

Well, if CaBisonFan is correct, and his cohort LakesBison is correct, the players read this forum. Maybe the players began to believe all the optimism that was prevading these pages. Maybe they believed CaBisonFan when he told them they would go 10-1 and win the NC. Maybe they believed the majority that nothing was wrong and in the end thought they could simply show up. I don't know but I do know this, in nature there are equal and opposite reactions, all part of the ecological principle of "dynamic equilibrium". If you believe that being less than optimistic hurts the players and hurts the team, than you cannot ignore the possibility that being naively optimistic, to the point of ignoring deficiencies ,can be equally destructive and lead to an opposite reaction from that which was intended. Can you dismiss the possibility that when you blow up the ego of a twenty year old, telling him everything is fine and that it's not his fault, can you ignore the possibility that you negatively impacted the way he played? Can you believe the former without contemplating that the latter may also be true?

I don't know, but it is a question worth asking.

Yeah, what he said! :nod:

90BISON
09-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Very well said OldBison. I would submit to the rest of you, especially those of you who were at most if not all of the games in person in 2007, some of this mental state / overconfidence / whatever you want to name it, is a spillover from the 2007 season. It just never reared it's ugly head yet in 2008, because until the Wyo game, we hadn't played any real competition. I especially noticed this during the latter stages of the SDSU game while observing the players attitudes around our bench. We were getting our ass handed to us by the rabbits, but looking at most of the players on the sideline, you would have thought we were up by 3 scores, they just weren't mentally there, no sense of urgency, nothing????? and it came up and bit us.

Fortunately in the SHSU and Cal Poly games we woke from our collective team slumber just in the nick of time to pull out a miraculous win. Both of those could have just as easily been losses. Maybe a couple good losses have been too long in coming. Maybe now that the Bison find themselves in the same situation as YSU was in last week, we will start playing with a little more fire, attitude and yes, urgency.

No I don't think most of what is posted on BV means jack to the players, it wouldn't if it were me, but everyone has a different personality.

CaBisonFan
09-23-2008, 11:32 PM
Nice personal message...disguised as a thread. Classy

BisonNeil
09-24-2008, 01:48 AM
;) OldBison:

I've had two PM's from different player 'dads' thanking me for what I've written. One was more than a 'little' moving.

I enjoyed your thread...and am flattered that you mentioned me so often.

But let's be clear...I don't like personal attacks on players...or the call for their removal.

comprende?

Show us where OldBison did anything like that, please, since you are all of a sudden calling him out. Guess I missed it.

CaBisonFan
09-24-2008, 02:31 AM

Bisonguy
09-24-2008, 02:42 AM
I've got it!

You are...McFeely.

Nice touch on Kolpack...a disclaimer of sorts.

But if you're not McFeely...then you are in the McFeely camp...which is a quasi "I'm really a Bison fan, but my heart is in Grand Forks" stance.

The personal nature of this post/thread is more than interesting.

Since when is McFeely's heart in Grand Forks?:confused:

If anything it's over at MSU-Moorhead, but he even takes shots at them.

CaBisonFan
09-24-2008, 02:48 AM

CaBisonFan
09-24-2008, 02:49 AM

TransAmBison
09-24-2008, 02:57 AM
I've got it!

You are...McFeely.

But if you're not McFeely...then you are in the McFeely camp...which is a quasi "I'm really a Bison fan, but my heart is in Grand Forks" stance.

You couldn't be more wrong. You could try, but you would not be successful!

Oldbison, unbelievable!!! That was one of the best posts ever!

Bisonguy
09-24-2008, 03:04 AM
Which is where he should be. Whatever...north...east...west....whatever. He's anywhere but at NDSU.

If you don't like McFeely, why do you keep validating him?

imported_Bisongold
09-24-2008, 03:06 AM
Please remember that under the helmets of the players are people, and they also have families that are real people and are their support system. Also remember that many of these people read BV. These people are great supporters of the Bison on a different level than someone that tunes into or posts on BV may be. In their minds they are giving alot to the program, ie their sons. They realize the work their sons have gone through to even reach this stage, let alone the work they go through to be a part of this team. I don't think the average fan knows the work that it takes to be a player. Most fans believe that all the players receive full scholarships and therefore that should be worth the work involved. The players currently are not all on full scholarship and many, many or them were on no scholarship or partial scholarship for 1,2,or 3 years until they "prove" themselves. I don't believe that most Teammakers are aware of this in spite of raising all the money for scholarships, let alone "casual" or even the more "knowledgable" fan. So many of these players play 1,2, or 3 years with no scholarship. I personally have talked to ex players who have really questioned whether the time and effort was worth it. One of them was a 4 year starter!! So these parents and their families and friends read this site for any piece of information possible because usually the players never will say anything to them. They are simply trying to glean information about how the team and perhaps their son is doing. Lo and behold, they come onto this site and find their son called out by name as a loser, worthless, can't catch, can't throw, can't block, makes stupid penalties, too slow, etc., etc. This always reminds me of the person in the high school stands that yells his discontent with a player out loud during a ball game. I witness this at the Bison football games too! It is sickening. For the parents, it is humiliating and maddening. The kids are playing because the coaches feel they are the best available to be playing..period!! Yes, you may have known someone better in the past, or surely there must be better out there, but by God they are the best ones in our coaches minds that we have now. They deserve better, their parents deserve better, and Bison athletics deserve better. Please be civil. Alot of people that are important to Bison athletics now and in the future are watching! Thanks CA Bison for sticking to your guns!

fan
09-24-2008, 03:22 AM
Everybody is assuming that the Bison are underachieving. I would submit that it is only partially true but more so the expectations were too high and there is a huge lack of respect for the competition. Few are giving credit to the other team/s. They work just as hard and have, I believe, just as many scholarships. What makes SU so special compared to the other teams in the conference?

I frown on personal attacks on players, coaches and other posters. As a parent I have been on both sides of this. I will always regret how I have acted and what I have posted at times because I know it hurt other parents and their kids. I have also felt the pain when others have attacked my kid. I have tried to be expecially careful about this ever since.

CaBisonFan
09-24-2008, 03:42 AM

56BISON73
09-24-2008, 03:49 AM
I've got it!

You are...McFeely.

Im trying to figure out what your point is??? Are you accusing him of being Mc Feeley?? Then your not??? But it really doesnt address his post?? PL

CaBisonFan
09-24-2008, 04:00 AM

CaBisonFan
09-24-2008, 04:02 AM

That's the point.

UTH
09-24-2008, 04:02 AM
Im trying to figure out what your point is??? Are you accusing him of being Mc Feeley?? Then your not??? But it really doesnt address his post?? PL

Meltdown residue. Nobody's making any sense anymore. Even you, PL.:D BV needs a redemption game.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Maybe adopt a team this weekend and watch the Bison play vicariously through them???

56BISON73
09-24-2008, 04:19 AM
Meltdown residue. Nobody's making any sense anymore. Even you, PL.:D BV needs a redemption game.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Maybe adopt a team this weekend and watch the Bison play vicariously through them???

Even ME?????:D Get outta here:D PL

UTH
09-24-2008, 04:25 AM
Even ME?????:D Get outta here:D PL

Yes, PL. Especially you.

Recent Bisonviller's Human Biology Test Answer
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/gangstatestexamwtfunderstandbiology.jpg

twowheels
09-24-2008, 12:24 PM
"Well, if CaBisonFan is correct, and his cohort LakesBison is correct, the players read this forum. Maybe the players began to believe all the optimism that was prevading these pages. Maybe they believed CaBisonFan when he told them they would go 10-1 and win the NC. Maybe they believed the majority that nothing was wrong and in the end thought they could simply show up."

In my opinion, this board is great to get the feed back of how fans are feeling, it shows the great emotion that is felt for this team, for this great tradition, and it is important for the players to know how the fans are feeling. BUT, my understanding is that with early morning lifting/running, attendance required at meal times, rehabbing, attending classes/ACE, team meetings, meetings with coaches watching tape, practice, home work, & trying to have somewhat of some personal time, there is not a lot left of a day for them to spend on the board.

"Maybe the players began to believe all the optimism that was prevading these pages. Maybe they believed they would go 10-1 and win the NC."

I hope they did believe they would go 10-1. I hope they are continuing to believe they will win the NC. What I do know is that where their true belief lies is with their team mates and with their coaches and that is where their confidence and strengths are at their greatest.